Dance Practice

The Infinite Story

          Today was the day. After weeks of nonstop dance practices and recording sessions, Infinite was finally going to get some free time. When they first became a group, they agreed to have free time at least once every two weeks to do whatever they wanted, but since they began to get ready for their comeback, they’ve been too busy to even think about anything beyond Infinite. After they finished their schedules, it was either already too late to visit friends and family or they would be too tired and end up just collapsing onto their beds. This was their first break of the month and Dongwoo was especially elated, his excitement overflowing from his body.

            “Yes! It’s 7:58! Let’s do this!” He screamed and pumped his fists into the air.

            “What’s with him?” L asked, giving Dongwoo a strange look as they filed in after the main rapper into the dance studio. “I can practically see rainbows and flowers radiating off him.”

            “Free time,” Hoya commented and pulled Dongwoo into an affectionate head brace. “You’re going to visit your sister right?”

            “Yup!” Dongwoo gave his trademark grin and held out a couple of the DVDs that filled his backpack. “I have a bunch of copies of her favorite TV shows that we are going to watch together!”

            Hmmm…let’s see. We have Pororo, i-Kooo, Colorful Crayon, Dibo, hey! This is mine!” After dumping several children shows’ DVDs back into Dongwoo’s backpack, Woohyun took out a fluffy white teddy bear. Dongwoo hurriedly snatched the stuffed animal from Woohyun’s grasps and put it into his bag again.

            Dongwoo gave an unconvincing laugh, “What are you talking about Woohyun?”

            If there were a more appropriate time for some animated emoticons, it would be six large sweat drops above each member’s eyes and flames to decorate a fuming Woohyun’s head.

            “You never were a good liar, hyung,” Sungjong piped up, giving Dongwoo a disapproving shake of his head.

            “Dongwoo hyung,” Woohyun sighed, “just don’t get it dirty okay?”

            “Okay,” Dongwoo grinned before clamping a hand over his mouth, realizing what he said.

            “Gotcha! So, you did steal my bear didn’t you?” Woohyun jumped in the air, a triumphant smile on his face.

            “How can you be our hyung when you’re so innocent?” Sungyeol exclaimed incredulously, as the rest of the members shrugged.

            “But the more important question is why Woohyun hyung has a doll in the first place,” Sungjong said, glaring at Woohyun. “So much for your greasy character.”

            “Are you still mad about the dishes? I said I was sorry!”

            “Okay, well, I think it’s time for practice,” Sunggyu shouted, turning on the familiar tune of one of their new songs, and then, pushing Woohyun and Sungjong to opposite sides of the studio. It was pretty clear that the maknae could hold an impressively long grudge over the simplest things. Woohyun was usually the object of Sungjong’s anger, if it wasn’t Sunggyu, who although won’t admit it, receives the maknae’s punches almost on a daily basis in the form of one of Sungjong’s stuffed animals for the leader’s constant nagging.

            But on these occasions when they were in the dance studio, Sungjong knew it was not a good time to unleash his fury. Being known for their 99% synchronization in their dance, Infinite had a lot to live up to and creating tension in the group wouldn’t help. Sungjong was also having a particularly hard time mastering the fast cross movements of his arms that matched with the side steps of his legs.

            “Bend your arms a bit more, Sungjong-ah, your tempo is off,” Sunggyu said, marking every move the maknae made.

            “I’m sorry,” he replied as sweat poured down his face. Looking in the mirror in front of them, Sungjong let out a frustrated sigh as he kept repeating the same mistakes. The dance studio was full of labored breaths and tired limbs. After watching how everyone seemed to get the moves so quickly, Sungjong felt the increasing pressure to match up to his hyungs.

            Sungjong tried again to push his arm further back, but it still wasn’t up to par with the other members. Tears started to well up in his eyes, not because of his frustration, but because he knew he could do those moves and yet, his body wasn’t responding the way it used to.

            “Let’s take a break,” Sunggyu quietly sighed, “it’s almost noon.”

           Everyone began to shuffle out of the studio with the exception of Sungjong, who decided to do some extra practice, and Hoya, who hiding behind the open door warily watched their youngest member. As the main dancer of the group, Hoya could tell when a member’s movements were off, but he often left the disciplining to their leader. What took Hoya by surprise though, is the fact that Sungjong was the one making these mistakes, not the clumsy Sungyeol or the lazy Woohyun. Sungjong got into the group for how quickly he could learn dance steps, especially those from girl groups, a talent that they never get tired of teasing him about.

            But, Hoya had sensed how increasingly stressed Sungjong had been in the past few days, noting the subtle, yet undeniable fatigue that marred his young face. As his hyung, it was his duty to provide comfort when Sunggyu could not. But considering the fiery personality of the maknae, it was best to wait and watch.

            A couple of dance steps in, Sungjong tried to swipe his legs up, folding his back in to match the motions of his arms when a sudden pain shot up his spine. Sungjong immediately crumpled to the floor and curled himself into a ball. In this position, he knew the pain would subside quicker as he refused to let tears flow from his eyes.

            “Sungjong!” Hoya called, running over the hurting maknae. “What happened? Are you okay?” Sungjong didn’t reply.

            “I’m going to call Sunggyu hyung,” Hoya said, ready to run and grab their leader.

            “No,” Sungjong rasped out and grabbed Hoya’s pant leg. He forced himself to stand up and look Hoya in the eyes. Dark caramel met black charcoal. “I’m fine. Hoya hyung, please don’t tell anyone else. Please. I can handle this. It’s nothing.”

            “Nothing, huh,” a flash of anger passed Hoya’s eyes as he moved away from Sungjong’s steady gaze.

            “Are you going to tell?” Sungjong asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

            Hoya stopped in front of the door, “Has this happened before?”

            Sungjong gulped before responding, his eyes shifting downwards to his tightly knotted hands, “No.”

            Hoya gave Sungjong an unbelieving stare. ”Then, no. But, if this happens again, l will.”

            “Thank you hyung! I promise it won’t!” He choked out gratefully, hoping that this was going to be the last of his lies.

            Hoya nodded, his husky voice trailing behind him,  “It’s nothing, nothing to worry about? Dammit…after seven years…why didn’t she ever tell me?”

Sungjong wasn’t sure he was supposed to hear that.