Back to the Past

41 Days
Five 
 
 

Kim Sunggyu!" Eunmi replied, humorously saying Sunggyu's name in the same shocked manner he said hers. "Why do you look so shocked? It’s like you’ve seen a ghost!” the girl asked jokingly. "So . . . are you joining the club or not?” Sunggyu continued to stare at her blankly. “Hello? Is anyone there?" She waved her hand back and forth in front of his pale face.

 

Sunggyu stood frozen in his spot as he blinked away his disbelief. His mind happily absorbed the beautiful image of his girlfriend. Her pink, rosy cheeks, her milky-white skin, the black, silky hair that he would run his fingers through, his brain couldn’t get enough of the sight of her alive and well. I can't believe it. I actually traveled back in time . . . Sunggyu quickly cleared his throat to escape the awkward silence. "Um . . . uh," he stammered. The proper words just wouldn't form in his mouth as he stood stuttering like an idiot. Not wanting to make a fool of himself any longer, Sunggyu then awkwardly dashed out of the club room as he shouted, “I need to go to the restroom really badly! Um . . . bye!” leaving a confused Eunmi in the room with her unanswered question hanging in the air.

 


 

    The bewildered male ran through the corridors of the high school, heart racing and hair flying. Familiar places zoomed past him. Classrooms he learned in many years ago, the gym where he sang in his first concert. So many memories. I can’t believe it. I’m actually here. I’m really here! As he ran past the restroom door, Sunggyu got a quick glimpse of his reflection through the open door, in the bathroom mirror. He quickly backtracked and stopped to observe the image of a face he has not seen for many years. Staring back at him was the face of his 18-year-old younger self, and not the 26-year-old man he was used to seeing. 

 

Although he was a stellar, model student during high school, with short blonde hair and metal piercings in both ears, Sunggyu was instantly reminded of how similar he looked like to a trouble-making delinquent, looking at his past self now. He pinched his face, stretching out his cheeks, and checking if what was happening was truly real. This is really happening . . . and wow, I had really bad fashion taste. The restroom door suddenly opened with a bang, making the 18-year-old jump as a group of three boys entered and interrupted his train of thought.

 

Oh hey! We finally found you Sunggyu-hyung! Ya! We’ve been looking for you everywhere. Seonsaeng-nim wants you to fill out some papers as our classroom’s president,” said one of the guys from the group. He was tall and had a pretty decent-looking face that could woo any girl he met. Standing next to the tall boy was a masculine male with thick eyebrows and a fierce look in his eyes. The last of the group was a feminine boy with milky skin and a pretty face. Sunggyu’s eyes flashed with delight as he started to recognize just who exactly who these three boys were.

 

Lee Sungjong! Lee Howon! Lee Sungyeol,” the older teen cried out. The group of three was no other than the famous Lee brothers. With a family full of talent and good looks, they were widely known throughout school and of course, very popular with the female population. They were also close friends of Sunggyu and in the future (or you could say the present), he would occasionally meet up with the siblings for a couple rounds of drinks from time to time.

 

Hyung, are you okay? You look a bit pale. And you’re acting kind of weird . . . and out of place,” asked the youngest boy of the group.

 

“Yeah yeah, I’m fine. I’m good. Nothing’s wrong. Nothing’s wrong at all,” Sunggyu replied, doing such a great job of acting unsuspicious. “You said that the teacher wanted me? Then, I should probably go now. Shouldn’t keep him waiting. Ha. Ha” And he bolted out the door.

 

The siblings stood in silence as they all agreed that something was definitely off about their weird hyung.

 


 

    Sunggyu let out a sigh as he exited the school campus. It was good to be back at his hometown, Jeonju, after living in the bustling city of Seoul for so long. Walking down the streets to his apartment building, memories floated in his mind. That’s old Mr. Jung’s cafe!I used to go there all the time to study, or to sit in the comfortable chairs and think while drinking their warm, delicious coffee. Oooh, ooooh! And that’s Mrs. Park’s house, the woman who always takes in stray cats and took in one of the cats I found one rainy day. And that’s the playground that me and the gang would always hang out at. After a long, reminiscing stroll down the memory lane, Sunggyu finally reached the doorstep of his apartment building’s lobby. Stepping inside, he saw some familiar faces pass here and there.

 

Oh hello there, Sunggyu!,” said one of his ajumma neighbors as she passed by with a bag of groceries in her hand.

 

Hello, Mrs. Kim. Do you need any help?” Sunggyu kindly responded back. Before she replied, he took the bag from her hands and walked to the open elevator doors. “3rd floor, room 158, right?

 

What a kind young gentleman you are! And yes, that’s correct,” the grateful elder replied as she followed him into the elevator. “So how was your day today . . .” could be heard before the doors closed shut.

 


 

    Beep beep. The door clicked open as Sunggyu typed in his apartment password. “I’m home,” he said while taking in the sight of his old home. Unlike his present-day luxurious apartment, the condo was small, probably only a fourth of the size of his future home, but it was still as warm and cozy. Despite his dad owning the huge business he would soon take over in the future, Sunggyu was living in stated so arrangements after moving out of his family house during his sophomore year of high school because of his family’s disapproval of his pursuit for a career in music. Of course, in the end, unfortunately, Sunggyu’s dream of becoming a singer was not achieved. It’s been so long, he thought as he plopped down on his old, white couch. After a few moments of thoughtful silence, a knock resounded on his door.  I wonder who it is, he wondered as he made his way to reveal the mysterious stranger. As he opened the door, he came face to face with someone he immediately recognized; an ebony-haired boy with cheesy looks.

 

Yaaaah, Nam Woohyun! It’s been so long since I’ve seen you!” Nam Woohyun. The younger male by two years was Sunggyu’s childhood friend and lived in the apartment right next to his. Woohyun was one of the reasons Sunggyu chose this apartment complex.

 

What are you talking about hyung? I saw you just yesterday night. Or are you saying that because you already started to miss me so much?” Woohyun said, cheesily. Sunggyu inwardly gagged as he started to remember his friend’s disturbing cheesiness. “I came over to tell you that my mom is inviting you over for dinner. We’re having your favorite: hot, steaming, delicious kimchi stew! I assure you that you don’t want to miss it,” the younger male continued. Suddenly, a familiar girl popped up from behind Woohyun, causing Sunggyu to jump in surprise. The female was no other than Park Eunmi herself.  Park Eunmi, Nam Woohyun, and Kim Sunggyu were childhood friends, who attended the same daycare as kids. Eunmi lived next door to Woohyun, making the trio neighbors after Sunggyu’s move to his condo.

 

Yah. Kim Sunggyu! You were acting really weird earlier today!” Eunmi ranted. “I asked if you wanted to join my club and you dashed away like a bolt of lightning saying you needed to use the restroom. Did you need to go that badly?”  

 

Sunggyu mentally groaned as he recalled the embarrassing encounter. “Ha ha ha. It was um . . . a spur of the moment?,” Sunggyu answered, not very convincingly, and sheepishly laughed . “I actually had to take care of some stuff as class president. And the wrong words came out.” He laughed awkwardly again. “Now uh . . . let’s go eat that kimchi stew. Before it gets cold. Go go go,” he urged as he stepped out of his apartment and locked the door. He then pushed his two friends inside Woohyun’s apartment, trying to escape any more questions about his strange attitude from before. As Woohyun and Eunmi stepped inside the room first laughing, Sunggyu stood at the doorstep, staring longingly at Eunmi. Here’s my second chance. Don’t screw it up, Kim Sunggyu. He took a deep breath before stepping inside. The door slammed shut as joyous laughter could be heard from inside.

 


 

    How boring,” a tall, mysterious figure stated as he yawned and stood floating mid-air outside the apartment building. “Let’s start making things a little more interesting now, shall we?,” he smirked as he disappeared into the night.

 


 

 
 
 
author's notes
 A/N 

Oh my gajeebees. Is AmeYuki actually updating? I thought she was going to disappear! Oh mah gods.

I'm such an awful person for not updating for TWO WHOLE MONTHS. I'm truly sorry for keeping you guys waiting. TwT Mianhaeyo~ School has been taking up all of my time so I haven't had the chance to write anything these past few weeks. And I have a piano recital coming up as well so . . .

Anyways, I hope you guys forgive me taking so long. And thank you so much for staying with me and continuing reading my story! - w - I love you guys. <3 Any guesses on who the new character introduced at the end is? ;)