Another Chance

41 Days
Four 
 
 

Sunggyu’s eyes fluttered open as a beam of sunlight shined through the window, onto his hamster-like face. He groaned and clutched his head as he groggily sat up. Memories from the night before flashed through his mind. That L kid, who was a fairy godmother, guardian angel, or whatever. Ran outside window. Floated in midair. Was it all just a dream? Sunggyu rubbed his eyes tiredly. The alarm clock flashed on and off, showing the time of 10:35 A.M. Since it was a Saturday, he had the day off from work. He lazily got off his bed and headed to the bathroom. Picking up a toothbrush, Sunggyu squeezed some toothpaste on it and proceeded to brush his teeth. He jumped when he finally got a clear view of the bathroom mirror, which revealed that another person was in the room with him. Quickly, Sunggyu turned around, toothbrush still in his hand. “It’s you!” he cried out, pointing a finger to the intruder. The person standing in front of him was no other than the fairy godmother/guardian angel, L!

 

Somebody’s happy to see me again.” L said playfully with a teasing smirk. Sunggyu blinked a few times and then pinched his arm. Ouch, that hurt. He frowned. It’s-it’s not a dream!

 

You . . . you’re real?” Sunggyu exclaimed. L nodded and grinned.

 

Yup. I’m real. And yesterday was one hundred percent real as well,” L responded. Sunggyu swiftly put his toothbrush down. The thought of what was happening was in fact, not a dream, bombarded his mind. He blinked a few more times just to make sure. Yup, he’s real alright . . . unless all the paperwork is making me go crazy.  

 

Pushing aside the thought that he is going insane, Sunggyu coughed out, “Go, um, sit in the living room. After I finish washing up, you’re going to explain exactly what is going on here.” Then, he forcibly pushed out the younger boy and slammed the door shut.

 


 

Sunggyu stepped out of the bathroom, face fresh and clean. He made his way to his visitor, who was seated comfortably on the couch, watching an episode of Weekly Idol.

 

Ha ha ha! Infinite is so funny! The leader is such a grandpa! Ha ha ha!” L laughed hysterically. A scene of the popular K-pop group, Infinite, doing a segment of the show called Random Dance Play, was flashing on the TV screen. “Look! Look! That hyung looks like you, Sunggyu-hyung.

 

Sunggyu inwardly scowled as he got a glimpse of Infinite’s leader. I am much handsomer though, he secretly thought. Sunggyu quickly grabbed the remote and turned off the TV.

 

I was watching that,” L whined.

 

Sunggyu cleared his throat. “Why are you suddenly appearing now?” he questioned seriously. The latter stared at him. The air in the room suddenly turned tense, making a complete 180 from the somewhat carefree atmosphere before. “If you are what you say, if you really are my guardian angel, where were you when Eunmi died? When I was foolishly neglecting her?” the caramel-haired man ranted, releasing his bottled-up feelings. His voice continued to raise. “Where were you when I was struggling to impress my dad and show him that I can take over his company? When I gave up my dream of being a singer to make him happy? Where were you through all the hardships of my life? Seeing that you’re magical and everything, you could’ve done at least something, right? Why are you only showing up now?” The look on Sunggyu’s face seemed almost murderous.

    

L gulped. “I’m, uh, very sorry about your girlfriend and your dream and whatever hardships you might’ve encountered. But um . . .  to be honest, I’m not actually your guardian angel. Or at last, not specifically yours. It’s more like I’m everyone’s guardian angel?” the younger lad explained meekly. “Truthfully, I was sent to Earth to grant you a wish, or to be more accurate, anybody a wish. You see, if I grant five wishes, I can pass my angel test and then get my wings.” L let out a nervous laugh.

 

Then, out of the millions of people in Korea, why did you choose to barge in to my life?” Sunggyu irritably questioned.

 

Woah woah woah, please calm down! If hyung doesn’t appreciate me granting you a wish, then I can just leave, you know. I mean, think of all the things you can do with this wish. You can even get a chance to save your dead girlfriend!” L replied hastily. An expression of shock emerged on Sunggyu’s face. Can I really . . . bring her back?  

 

If you wish to save her, I will grant you the chance to go back in time and fix your regrets and mistakes,” L continued. “But everything comes with a price. Do you want to go through with this wish?

 

I-I’ll do it but what’s the price?” Sunggyu asked anxiously.

 

If you can make her fall in love with you again, Eunmi stays alive and you get the happy-ever-after ending you want. But if you fail, both you and Park Eunmi dies. I can’t let you revive a life for free, hyung. You have to put your life on the line to save someone else’s life. Are you sure about this wish?explained the angel and eyed the older man carefully. L needed to quickly grant the wish to move on to his next assignment. His time on Earth was limited.

 

I-I’ll do it,” Sunggyu confirmed. He would do anything to save Eunmi. Even if it means giving up the life he has achieved today and risking his life to save her, he’ll do it. A determined look appeared on Sunggyu’s face. I’ll fix everything. This time, I’ll protect what’s really important. Not my work, but the people I love.

 

    A flash of blinding, colorful lights surrounded L’s body and a sandglass appeared in his hands. “You have 41 days to win Park Eunmi’s heart. If this sandglass runs out and she still has not fallen for you, it’s game over for the both of you. Understood?” Sunggyu nodded as he grabbed the sandglass and stuffed it in his pocket. “Now close your eyes,” L instructed. A burst of magic surrounded Sunggyu as he closed his eyes. A few seconds later, the older man disappeared in the blink of an eye. L smirked as he disappeared as well. “Let the games begin.” Then, only silence filled the empty apartment.

 


 

    Sunggyu squinted, trying to regain his sight. As his vision cleared, he slowly made out an old classroom, window open and curtains flowing. A girl sat near the windowsill, guitar in her hands. “Are you here to join the music club?” a bright voice rang out. Sunggyu’s eyes widened in shock and surprise as he stared at the familiar person in front of him. “P-Park Eunmi!”

 
 
 

 

 
 
 
author's notes
 A/N 

I'm going back to school in less than three weeks. TwT It's toooo sooooon. Congratulations for Infinite's 7th win! Whoooo! Let's make this week an all-kill!

Thank you for reading my story! It would be nice if you comment, subscribe, or upvote. Annyeong!