That Day (continued)

41 Days
Two 
 
 

"Thank you very much for working with Kim Corporations. It was a pleasure meeting with you. I hope we will collaborate on more projects together in the future," Sunggyu fluently spoke in English as he shook Lee Jungyeop's, the CEO of the famous Woollim Corporations, hand.

 

"It was a pleasure working with you too. I will send over the paperwork once I finish signing them. I will take my leave now. Thank you," he replied and exited the meeting room.

 

Sunggyu let out a small, contented sigh. He had just convinced one of Korea's most famous companies to sponsor as well as advertise Kim Corporations worldwide. His father would be proud to see how he was expanding the business so adequately. Sunggyu quickly organized his papers, reached in his pocket to take out his phone, and turned it on. Right before the meeting, he kept on receiving calls and messages from Eunmi, causing it to violently vibrate and therefore making it, a future hinderance to the meeting. As a result, Sunggyu turned his phone off to obstruct distractions during the meeting, ignoring her texts and calls. The meeting was too big and important of a matter to focus on. Eunmi could wait was what he thought.  34 missed calls. 59 unread messages. Park Eunmi. The screen read as it flashed on. His eyebrows furrowed as he unlocked his phone. Countless of "Sunggyu, where are you?"'s and "When are you coming?"'s met his eyes. He quickly skimmed through the rest of the text messages. A look of anguish crossed his face when he suddenly recalled what today was exactly: Eunmi's birthday. And he promised her a birthday lunch at 2, which was . . . Sunggyu glanced at the time . . . three hours ago. He let out a tired sigh. I completely forgot about her birthday. He swiftly put his papers in his briefcase and headed for the elevator. There’s no way she is still waiting for me. right?

 


 

    Just in case, Sunggyu stopped by the cafe to see if the birthday girl was still waiting. As he looked around, no familiar faces seemed to appear in his eyes. He turned around and left the cozy building. Of course she already went home. Who would waste three hours of their precious time and birthday on waiting? he scolded silently in his mind. Sunggyu hurriedly went back in his car and drove to their apartment. As he walked up the doorstep, a feeling of anxiety bubbled in his stomach. He quickly unlocked the door and softly stepped in the sanctuary.

 

Eunmi-ah, are you here?” he asked aloud.

 

All that greeted him was silence. He repeated his question louder. After a few moments of silent waiting, Sunggyu’s ears finally caught on her muffled sniffles from their bedroom. He carefully walked to the room and knocked on the locked door.

 

Park Eunmi, I know you’re in there. I’m really sorry for not showing up for the date, but I had a very important meeting to attend and you know how the company is very important to me. I couldn't let a such a huge chance to improve the company get away. You understand, right? So open the door, oh?" he reasoned through the door.

 

After an agonizing amount of minutes waiting passed, he heard the door finally unlock with a click and then it slammed open, revealing Eunmi, disheveled and face twisted with emotions. Tear marks stained her cheeks and her puffy, red eyes flashed with anger and fury.

 

"So what you're saying is that your work is more important than your girlfriend," she scoffed. "Today is my birthday, Gyu. My birthday! How many dates have you promised but didn't attend? How many times have you left me waiting for hours and hours? At least . . . at least, you could've saved a day on my birthday."

 

Pushing aside the heavy feelings of guilt, anger took over Sunggyu’s emotions instead. His face once full of sorrow and self-condemnation was now matching his girlfriend’s, contorted with rage. My father trusted me with the company before he died. She knows that I can’t let him down. His dying wish was for me to make Kim Corporations successful! Sunggyu furiously thought. I can always celebrate her birthday tomorrow! What’s the rush?

 

Why are you getting so mad?” Sunggyu spat out. “We can always celebrate your birthday tomorrow! The meeting was really important! The client was leaving the country tonight!

 

Eunmi let out a scoff and glared at him, face full of disbelief. How dare he, she thought. Is his work really more important for him than her? She was about to retort back about how shameless Sunggyu was being right now, but the ringing of his phone interrupted the tense situation. Jang Dongwoo, the name flashed across the screen of the phone. The couple both stared at the device before Sunggyu gave one last glare and quickly accepted the call. In the background, Eunmi rolled her eyes in resentment. Of course, it’s work again. It’s always work, she thought bitterly. Sunggyu brought the phone to his ear.

 

Hyung! You have to return to the office immediately! A situation just occurred and the company needs your presence!” rang out Dongwoo’s voice.

 

Sunggyu let out a sigh and quickly glanced at his girlfriend. “I’ll be there in ten. See you soon,” he replied before hanging up. He grabbed the nearby keys and prepared to leave for the company. “I have to leave. We’ll continue this discussion when I return,” he spat out while walking to the door. A look of pain flashed across Eunmi’s face.

 

After making me wait and starve for hours on my birthday, with no notice or call that you couldn’t attend, after saying that my birthday is less important than your work, you dare have the audacity to just walk out on me,” she remarked, her voice laced with hurt, making Sunggyu pause in his steps. “If you walk out that door Kim Sunggyu, it’s over.”

 

Unfortunately, Sunggyu walked out the door without even a single glance back.

 


 

    Eunmi sat in silence, hurt, frustration, and in complete disbelief after Sunggyu left. Mom, she sighed. I wish you were here to help me through all of this. The pitter-patter of rain resounded from outside, matching the gloomy aura that filled the apartment. After a long period of thinking, Eunmi stood up and exited the apartment. Not caring if she got wet, she slowly walked down the street, getting completely drenched. As she approached an intersection, the pedestrian countdown timer turned zero, signalling the stoplight to turn green and for the cars to zoom by. Taking a deep breath, Eunmi ran out into the catastrophe of cars and then everything turned black.

 


 

With a long sigh, Sunggyu stepped out of the office building after fixing the problem Dongwoo called him for. As he headed for the car, he received a call from an unknown number. Accepting the call, he brought the phone to his ear.

 

 

Is this Mister Kim Sunggyu?” the person on the other end asked.

 

Deh,” Sunggyu confirmed. “Who is this?” Although he didn’t know why, a feeling of ominousity coursed through his body.

Are you closely related to Miss Park Eunmi?” the mysterious person asked.

 

Yes, I’m her boyfriend,” he replied cautiously. “Who are you?”

 

Sunggyu’s eyes widened in shock as he heard the reply, which knocked the breath out of his lungs. “I am Officer X from X Police Station,” the person revealed. “I am very sorry to say this, but . . . Miss Park Eunmi has been involved in a car accident. She died on the spot.”

 
 

 

 
 
 
author's notes
A/N 

Dun dun duuuuun! Well, this brings an end of going down the memory lane. Starting from the next chapter, the plot will finally kick in and start going. Whoo! Thank you very much for reading and please comment and subscribe! ~(O^O)~ Now here's some Infinite gifs from their variety show, Ranking King, to brighten up your day! 

 

 

 

   Go watch their show if you haven't. It's very amusing! ^^