Acceptance

Just Best Friends?

 

 

Within three days, Amber began to speak with me again. We were like before as always. We were back into being best friends again. “Are you sure you’re okay with this?” I asked her and she nodded. “Okay, at the count of three. One… two… Three!” I said and began to eat ice cream at a very fast pace. We were having a contest to see who could eat ice cream the fastest without getting a brain freeze first. I was almost done when my head began to hurt. “ow!” I yelped with the coldness rising up to my brain. “I won!” She said and happily put her hands up in the air. “Ow!” She also complained after. We grabbed glasses of water and drank them to ease the pain. We looked at each other and laughed at ourselves. “You look like a squirrel with all that ice cream inside your mouth,” she teased. “Squirrels are cuter than llamas,” I teased back. “Yah!” She pouted and I pinched her cheeks.

 

We walked around for a while, before going back to my place. “Popcorn!” She yelled as she grabs the sodas and put them on the table. “Is a horror movie good?” She asked as I cook the popcorn. “You know that it’s your turn to choose the movie,” I said, which she smiled at. I just hate it when Amber always chooses horror movies. I know how much she loves watching them, while I got to be brave when watching it with her. When everything was ready, we plopped ourselves down at the couch and watched the movie.

 

I’m not that brave when watching these kinds of movie. “White? We’re watching white!?” I asked as the movie began. “Yeah. It’s pretty good. After school is here. Plus, T-ara’s Eunjung starred in it!” She clapped her hands while I gulped. The movie went on as I pretend to be the strong guy that I am. But Amber knows me too well. This was one of her ways of torturing me and enjoying at the same time.

 

“See, the movie wasn’t that bad,” she commented as the movie ended. I glared at her afterwards while she just laughed and pinched my cheeks. “Ow!” I yelled and rubbed my cheeks after. She stood up and stretched her arms. “I’ll just brush my teeth and wash my face before we continue,” she said and walked away.

 

When will I ever tell my real feelings for you, Am? It’s not that I’m afraid to admit it. I’m afraid of rejection, of losing you. I don’t know if you really do feel the same. What if what all Key had said was a lie just to get me out of his place? What if you really don’t feel the same way?

 

After so much thinking, I was surprised with a “BOO!” from Amber. I held my chest and breathed in and out after recovering from the shock. “What was that, Am!?” I yelled, still shocked. “If you only saw your face!” She laughed hysterically. Her laughs are the best kind of music that I can hear. She had wide opened and her eyes were closed, that you barely see her pupils. When she stopped laughing, she just looked at me. “Aren’t you mad?” I snapped out of my thoughts and went back into the real world. “Of course I am. Come here, Josephine!” I shouted and began to chase her again. We played with each other until we got tired, until we fell asleep.

 

 

It’s been a month, and my days were filled with smiles because of a certain American-Taiwanese girl named Amber Liu. “Henry, you are sure she’ll like this, right?” Victoria asked me, and I nodded. “What’s your surprise for her?” Kyuhyun asked as he walks towards me with Sooyoung. “A simple surprise party with everyone and her favorite things and food prepared. She’s not just gonna like it, but she’s gonna love it,” I smiled.

 

By night, everything was prepared. I was in my room, fixing myself to prepare the first part of my surprise for Amber. Suddenly, there was a knock on his door. He opened it and surprisingly, there stood the birthday girl. “Am, what are you doing here?” He asked. “There was a heavy rain and I was already walking here, so I wonder if I could shield myself here,” she said and I just let her in. “You can take a shower and change clothes,” I said and gestured her towards my bathroom. I sighed as I recall everything.

 

It’s been more than a month since things had happened, when Key was hers, when she was in love with him. But those were in the past. Now, it’s the present that all matters, and possibly the future. Could there be a future for us, as more than friends?

 

I looked at the mirror and took a deep breath. Maybe I could pretend that I was gonna confess to her. It’s just practice.

 

“Amber…” I gulped as I was nervous of what I’m gonna say, even though she won’t ever hear them. “I know that we are best friends, but how come it’s like we are the only ones who sees it? You know, when you and Key got together, people thought you were cheating with me because they all thought that we were together, but I denied it. I don’t know why, but seeing you with him, I have the sudden urge to hurt Key. For some reason there was jealousy, perhaps. I can’t understand why I was feeling that way. I was jealous of Key. I wanted to be in his place because I felt like you don’t need me anymore. But I was wrong. You never forgot me. As time passed by, I’ve noticed how the most joyous moments of my life was spent with you. It wasn’t with my friends, not with anyone else but you. I thought this was natural since we were best friends to feel what I feel. During the time when you had a problem with Key, it was the most painful thing for me. I had told myself that I would never hurt you.”

 

“Am, people used to say that we have felt something for each other, but we are just afraid to say to each other for fear to lose our friendship. I laughed at it first, but when things happened between you and Key, I began to realize more things. I love the way you smile and laugh. I think you’re still the prettiest no matter how much people say you look like a boy. I love your lame jokes and way of torturing me. I also think you’re the most talented person I have met. I don’t ask anything from you but to be you. To me, you are perfect. After all that I’ve been through and felt, I realized that I am in love. I am in love with none other than you, Am…”

 

“…I love you, Amber Liu.”

 

I rested my head on the mirror, sighing heavily again. “Even if I muster up all my courage, I could never say those words to you,” I whispered. “But you already have,” I turned around and saw Amber standing a few feet away from me. “Am! I—I—“ “I heard it all, Henry,” she said and gulped. I sighed and closed my eyes. It’s now or never.


“I’m not waiting for your answer. I’m willing to wait, even if at the end you’ll just reject me,” I told her. “You’re such a martyr. You’d rather wait than know the answer right now.” She rolled her eyes. “Am, I’m just scared that our friendship may be damaged. Just forget what I’ve said!” I raised my hands up in the air and walked away from her. “Henry!” She yelled and grabbed my wrist. “Listen to me, would you?!” She said and I gave her the chance to speak.

 

“You were right when you said everyone thought it was the two of us when we were just best friends,” she said. “Yeah, best friends,” I whispered, trying to hold the tears that may fall. She might just probably see me as just a best friend. “Henry…” I looked at her while her face was facing down, and she was blushing. I smiled and held her hands. “I’ll respect whatever your decision may be. We can forget everything and go back as best friends or I’ll wait for your answer.” I said and slowly let go of her hands, but she surprised me when she held my hands. “I’ll give you an answer right now,” she said. I was scared. What if it’s a no? “Can you close your eyes?” She asked me, and I followed.

 

I closed my eyes and waited for her. Nothing was happening for the first few seconds…

 

…until I felt something soft on my lips. It took me a while before it registered on my mind that Amber was kissing me. She was about to pull away, but I pulled her closer to me, hugging her. We were just like that for a while. It was only that we needed to breathe that we removed from each other’s face.

 

We were both red, and none would look at the other. When we took a peak of the other, we just laughed. We held each other’s hands again and looked at each other. “So, what are we now?” I shyly asked. “Isn’t this the part where you say you’re mine and I’m yours?” she asked, and I chuckled. “Yes, after a long time, you’re mine, and I have always been yours,” I said. “Can I be honest with you?” She asked and I nodded. “The reason why I broke up with Key was because I realized that I was happier when I was with you than I was with him. I also distanced myself away from for a while because I was also confused of my feelings. Now, I don’t have to worry about anything.” She said and hugged me.

 

From all the hugs that I have received from her, this is different because I guess we’re now a couple, but I haven’t given her my gift that can symbolize our official relationship. When we pulled from the hug, we looked at each other’s eyes. We were about to lean unto each other, when my phone rang. “Dammit. Stupid phone,” I muttered as I saw Victoria’s name flashed on my screen. “What?!” I answered with an annoyed tone. “Yeah, I don’t know what’s taking you so long, but where the hell are you and Amber!?” She yelled. “We’ll be there!” I answered and she hung up. “Was that Victoria unni?” She asked and I nodded. “Yup, let’s go!” I said and dragged her away.

 

 

We arrived at her place, going on as what we had planned, except for the part that we’re together now. She the lights to her apartment and everyone jumped on a surprise. “Oh my God!” She yelled. “Happy Birthday, Amber!” They yelled. “Thanks, guys!” She used her other hand to put over while her other clasped with my other hand. “Hey, I’ve noticed something,” Sulli smirked. “Look’s like the two of you finally got to know each other’s feelings,” she teased. “And the outcome looks good,” Heechul said. “Can we not talk about this and just bring out the cake?” I asked and Sungmin hyung carried the cake towards her. “Make a wish,” he said. “Do I still have to when my wish was already granted?” She said and looked at me. I could hear the others’ cheers and howls, but the sound of our hearts beating for one another seems more audible. She closed her eyes then blew the fire of the candles. “Cake time!” Luna yelled and pushed Sungmin, causing a part of the cake to hit Amber’s face. “No! The cake!” Sungmin hyung yelled. After that, she picked up some cake and began running around to hit people with cake. Soon enough, everyone was running around, throwing people some cake. “Henry!” Sungmin hyung called and I went to him. “It’s lost,” he said. “What?!” I asked. “I placed it on the cake, and since people are playing with it, I don’t know where it is now!” He told me.

 

Great. Her gift is now somewhat lost.

 

“Hey, what’s this?” Krystal held it in the air. “It seems like a ring,” Victoria said. I sighed and went up to them. “Can I have this time to give Amber my gift?” I said with a loud voice. They went silent and I went to the girls to ask for the ring. I took it and went to Amber. “I just want witnesses when this happen,” I said and held her hand.

 

“Amber Josephine Liu, will you be officially mine?” I smiled at her. She smiled back and took the ring to wear it. “Fits perfectly fine,” she said and pulled me into a hug. “You got me the best present ever, Henry.” She said. “What is it?” I asked. “Love,” she answered and gave me a peck on the lips. Everyone howled and clapped as they saw our romantic scene.

 

Acceptance. I had accepted the fact that I am in love with her. She had also accepted me, which means the feeling is mutual. Though we have been a lot as best friends, we are now at the stage where we are lovers. Nothing seems to be more joyous for me than having her as mine. Being accepted by others and being accepted by the one you love is the greatest feeling you’ll ever get.

 

“Am?” I poked her cheek. “Yeah?” She mumbled. “I love you,” I said. She opened her eyes to look into mine and smiled. “I love you too, Henry.” She said and leaned unto me for a kiss.

 



 

 

 

 

Thanks for reading this. I hope you somehow ship HenBer now? :p I really think they look better than Keyber, sorry to Keyber fans out there. :p Thanks for the patience to wait for me to finish this. May you support them and my other stories too~ 

 

 

Love, kiwibubblecat~ :>