Painkillers

Weightloss

          When Xiumin opened his eyes, he found himself encompassed in a warm light. The glow of the morning sunshine filtered through the blinds and left amber streaks across the sheets. He took a breath in and released a contented sigh. Xiumin felt the weight of Chen’s arm draped around his waist and his soft, but steady breaths on the nape of his neck. Xiumin felt safe, warm, and happy, taking comfort in the familiarity of his surroundings as opposed to the cold, starched hospital room he’d been stuck in the night before. Xiumin rotated around in Chen’s embrace to face the younger. He found himself nose to nose with him, much closer than he’d anticipated. Xiumin lifted a hand and traced his boyfriend’s face: the sharp curve of each cheekbone, the edge of his jaw, the contours of his nose, and the corners of his mouth. Chen stirred slightly in his sleep, a smile gracing his features as he settled back in. Xiumin wrapped his arms around Chen, leaning forward and holding himself close as he closed his eyes to relish in the embrace. Sighing, he opened his eyes, only to flinch in surprise at what was before him. The figure of the man from his dreams stood in the center of the room, a sad smile playing on his lips. But just as suddenly as he’d appeared, he vanished. Xiumin shook his head in confusion and buried his face in the crook of Chen’s neck. He must be imagining things. It has to be side effects of my concussion. Despite the confusion Xiumin felt over it, the man slipped out of his thoughts as Chen started to move, beginning to wake up. Xiumin pulled away as the younger rolled to lay on his back.

          “Good morning,” Chen murmured, his eyes still closed.

          “Mm. How did you sleep?” Xiumin asked.

Chen’s eyes flicked open, and he smiled warmly.

          “Great; you were with me.”

          “Cheesy,” Xiumin retorted.

          “I suppose, but it’s too early for me to come up with anything better,” Chen mumbled.

          “Then maybe you should—”

          “Chen, wake up! We need to leave!” Chanyeol called through the door, interrupting Xiumin.

          “No!” Chen groaned, resting on his elbow, “I don’t want to go anywhere!”

Xiumin cocked an eyebrow as Chen began to whine.

          “Can’t I just stay in bed with Xiuminnie all day?”

          “We have a busy schedule today! So get your out here!” Chanyeol called back.

Chen groaned again and flopped back onto the bed.

          “Come on, you big baby; you need to get up and get ready,” Xiumin said, beginning to slow process of sitting up. He sat on the edge of the bed, waiting for Chen to make a move to get up as well, but the younger stayed under the blankets and refused to look at Xiumin.

          “Get up, pabo!” Xiumin said, smacking Chen’s leg.

          “No, meanie! Let me stay with you!” Chen whined childishly.

          “You already know you can’t, Chen-Chen… You have stuff to do today. I’d come too, but I’m not exactly in a good state to do anything,” Xiumin said, running his hand over the new bandage that they’d placed on his head last night.

          “Fine… But you have to think of me all day then,” Chen said, finally sitting up.

          “Aish; at this rate, you’ll be worse than the maknae with your possessiveness,” Xiumin mumbled.

          “What was that?” Chen asked, knowing exactly what Xiumin had said.

          “Nothing,” Xiumin said with a saccharine smile.

          “Mmhm,” Chen hummed sassily, getting up from the bed and stretching.

Xiumin reached down to pick up his crutches from beside the bed. He reoriented them and stood slowly.

          “I need more pain killers,” Xiumin muttered as he winced.

          “Lucky for you then, because I think Suho filled your prescription last night,” Chen replied, pulling a pair of gym shorts over his boxers and slipping on a t-shirt.

          “I swear he is an angel sometimes,” Xiumin said thankfully.

          “Then we have more than one angel with us, because I can smell D.O. cooking something in the kitchen, and it smells heavenly!” Chen said as he opened the bedroom door.

Xiumin snorted at his boyfriend’s bad joke.

          “Don’t laugh at me!”

          “Then don’t make such bad jokes,” Xiumin snorted.

          “Sassy…” Chen muttered.

Xiumin smiled and hobbled out the door. The scent of D.O.’s cooking wafted through the halls of the dorm, and Chen wasn’t lying when he said it smelled heavenly. Xiumin slowly made his way to the living room with Chen’s assistance.

          “Good morning, Xiumin, Chen. How are you feeling?” Lay asked as the pair entered the room.

          “Feeling great, hyung,” Chen replied with a smirk.

          “Not you, you idiot; Xiumin,” Luhan retorted as he came up to said male.

          “I’m doing alright. I could really use some painkillers though,” Xiumin admitted.

          “Ah, yes. Coming right up,” Chen said, remembering, “I’ll be right back; just sit down and relax,” he said as he walked toward the kitchen.

          “He can be kind of sweet when he’s not being an ,” Luhan said.

Xiumin smiled and nodded.

          “Contrary to popular belief, he’s pretty great,” Xiumin replied.

Luhan laughed and said something in a very sarcastic tone about his practical jokes being pretty great. Xiumin made his way to the couch and with Luhan’s help, sat down. Lay grabbed his crutches and propped them against the wall as Chen returned to the living room with a tray of food, painkillers, and glass of juice.

          “Thanks,” Xiumin said as Chen helped him get settled, handing him the pills and cup first.

Luhan and Lay took their leave in order to finish getting ready before departing. Xiumin took his medicine despite not liking to swallow pills. They left a terrible aftertaste in his mouth and the feeling of a lump in his throat, but nonetheless, Xiumin would take those over the pain he was feeling any day. After swallowing the medicine, Chen took the glass, placed it on the table next to the couch, and handed Xiumin a plate full of eggs and bacon.

          “Thank you, Chen-Chen,” Xiumin said.

          “Of course; anything for you,” Chen replied with a wink.

Xiumin snorted, but said nothing as he began to eat the food before his. He sighed as he took a bite, partly from the delicious taste flooding his mouth, but also because his painkillers were kicking in.

          “Chen!” Kris called as he entered the room, “We gotta go. We’re already running late.”

          “Shoot,” Chen muttered, “I’ll see you tonight, Minnie-ah,” he said, pressing a quick kiss to Xiumin’s cheek.

Xiumin’s cheeks lit up as he caught Kris’ eyes after Chen kissed him. He quickly averted his gaze from the leader’s in embarrassment.

          “Come on,” Kris urged, turning and leaving the room.

Chen followed obediently, but threw a smile at Xiumin.

          “I’ll miss you today. Feel better,” Chen said warmly.

Xiumin nodded and returned the smile.

          “I love you.”

          “I love you too.”

Chen finally turned away and left. Xiumin listened as he heard Kris and Suho’s voiced guiding the others out the door like shepherds herding their sheep. The door closed with a final click as it was locked behind them, and in his solitude, Xiumin couldn’t help but feel a pang of pain, whether it was because of his injuries or the sheer fact that Chen was a much better painkiller than any pill could ever be.

 

A/N: Hello everybody >.< I'm sorry for such the late update... I've been busy with school work and extracurriculars that I haven't been able to write. I've been working on this chapter for a few weeks now, squeezing in time to work whenever I could. It's been about a month since the last update >__< During that time though, Weightloss reached 100 subscribers! This is super exciting for me especially, because this is the first fanfiction I've every posted, so I just want to thank everyone for their support. I hope you continue reading and commenting~ I really enjoy reading the comments <3 You all are wonderful people T-T I don't really deserve your support, but if you want to stay tuned, I will be posting a special update to celebrate reaching 100 subbies~~ Hope to see you soon! Stay fabulous!