The Guardian

HEAVEN SENT

“You are mad!” Kris hisses, wide-eyed and the boy giggles. Giggles.

“I’m not. Promise.”

Kris snorts. “Yeah, sure. You broke in here and now you say you’ve been here all the time! Sounds pretty much like someone who’s completely nuts to me.”

“I didn’t break into your home! It’s true. I’ve always been here. Well, not really here in this apartment. I’ve only been here since you moved in. But I’ve been with you all the time. Since the day you were born, Hyung.”

Kris starts to outright laugh at this absurdity. It’s a bitter laugh, he hasn’t laughed properly since that day.

“That can’t be. You’re what? 16? 17? I’m 27. You can’t have been with me since I was born. Besides, if you had been, don’t you think I’d remember you?”

“No, Hyung. Because that’s the point. You’re not supposed to see me, normally. And I’m not as young as you think”

Kris shakes his head. He really should call the police.

“And why can I suddenly see you when normally, I shouldn’t? Why don’t you just kill me already?”

Why the hell is he still talking to that boy?

“Because special circumstances require special actions. And I’m not here to kill you, Hyung. I’m here to help you. Always have been.”

“Oh yeah? Help me with what?” Kris replies bitterly.

“Help you with getting on with your life. You can’t go on like this. This is not good for you! I understand you’re upset and it is perfectly normal that you grieve but this? You don’t need me to kill you. You’re doing a perfect job of that on your own.”

“What’s it to you, huh? What the are you, my guardian angel?”

“Yes. Exactly that.”