Ch. 4

Taking A Chance

Morning was leisurely for the two friends.  They woke up late, ate a hearty breakfast and got ready to go to Yuri’s parent’s farm. It wasn’t a far drive to the place and when they arrived it seemed like a mini family gathering was happening. Yuri introduced Tiffany to her parents, grandpa, and uncle and made some small talk with them. Their accents were a bit heavy so it was difficult for Tiffany to completely follow the conversation. Much to Tiffany’s relief, Yuri took her to look around the farm.

“Here Fany,” exclaimed Yuri excitedly. “Take a look at the chicken coop. We’ve got baby chicks!” She brought Tiffany closer to see inside and picked up a little brown baby chick.

“It’s so cute,” said Tiffany as she eyesmiled at the chirping bird. “Can I pet it?” Yuri nodded and the excited woman the little baby on the head. It was so soft and warm against her finger. “I wish I could take this cute baby home with me.”

“Oh we have even cuter things here. Hold on,” said Yuri as she put the chick back in the coop. She ran off to the side where there was another pen and came back with the fluffiest grey baby bunny in the world.

“Awww look at this cutie. Hey baby, you’re so cute. Yes you are,” cooed the shorter woman as she the bunny’s body.

“We used to have more animals around but hard times made us have to cut back,” stated Yuri with a trace of sadness.

“I would have loved to have seen them. I wish I could have that kind of exposure growing up,” Tiffany said as she lightly brushed her fingers on Yuri’s hand as she pet the bunny more.

Noticing the gesture Yuri smiled and said, “Maybe after college and once I get settled I can help bring some of them back and restore the farm to what it once was.” She took Tiffany back to the pen and let her place the bunny back inside with its mother. “Have you ever had fresh raspberries before?”

“I’ve only had them from the store,” answered Tiffany.

Yuri grinned and gestured for Tiffany to follow her before she started running. Tiffany shook her head and ran after Yuri giggling. It was like watching two children run around in a field instead of two grown women but they were having the time of their lives. After running past several plots of flowers, Yuri finally stopped. Tiffany caught up and hunched over catching her breath with her hands on her knees.

Squatting down, Yuri picked several of the ripe berries from the bush and placed them in her hand for Tiffany. “After a run like that, these should taste even sweeter,” Yuri said with a smile.

Popping a berry in , Tiffany opened her eyes wide. “Wow! It is really sweet. I’ve never had one taste this good before,” she said taking another one.

“That’s the love we put into our own crops here. These were the ones that I had planted last spring. They came out nice huh,” said Yuri as she proudly puffed up her chest.

“They truly are the best. I won’t ever eat another raspberry and love them the same again,” stated Tiffany.

The two looked at each other with smiles when they heard Yuri’s mom call them from the house. Chairs were lined up on the side of the house where Yuri’s mom and grandpa were sitting. They were waiting on the sandwiches and drinks to get finished. Yuri offered to help her dad and uncle inside while Tiffany sat down with the others.

“So…Yuri tells us that you are into…the music, ya” asked Yuri’s mom making conversation with Tiffany so that she wouldn’t feel out of place.

“Yes. I am studying music in college right now. I will be in one of the musicals starting in the fall,” Tiffany replied slowly so that Yuri’s mom could understand her.

The grandpa was too busy dozing off to care about the conversation letting Yuri’s mom continue. “Ah! That is wonderful. I’ve always tried singing but the vocal…,” she trailed off with laugher. Tiffany smiled at her understanding where she was going. “Your parents, make them proud ya?”

Tiffany’s face slightly turned pained at the mention of her parents but she recovered quickly and smiled. Yuri came back with the food and started settling it down on the makeshift table her dad and uncle brought out. Not to leave Yuri’s mother hanging Tiffany continued, “Yes, they would be very proud of me. My mother always loved my singing as a child.”

Yuri was no stranger to the history of Tiffany’s parents. They exchanged looks and Tiffany weakly smiled at her and nodded. Turning to her mother, Yuri whispered in her ear and the older woman’s mouth parted slightly before looking at Yuri. Yuri’s mother watched as her daughter took her uncle and husband back into the house to get the drinks.

“I’m so sorry my child,” Yuri’s mom whispered as she placed an outstretched hand on Tiffany’s knee.

A small tear fell from her eye as Tiffany whispered, “It’s okay. It’s hard not having her but I know somewhere she’s still smiling at me, happy that I can pursue my dreams.”

Yuri’s mom wiped the tear from Tiffany’s cheek. “One day you let me hear you ya? I’ll be proud too,” she said with a smile.

Tiffany gave a big eyesmile and said, “I’d like that very much.”

Yuri was approaching again and her mom said something to her in the heavy accent that Tiffany couldn’t pick up on but whatever it was made Yuri smile and blush. The rest of the family gathered around and they had a nice lunch together laughing. Yuri always made sure that Tiffany wasn’t left in the dark with the jokes and the thoughts of Tiffany’s mother soon disappeared from everyone’s minds. Once they all finished eating, the older adults left the two friends outside while they handled the dishes and moved furniture.

Getting up, Yuri walks over to Tiffany and takes her hand. She pulls her up from the chair and said, “Let’s take a stroll in the forest.”

“Okay…but I hope there aren’t too many bugs out,” Tiffany said apprehensively.

“If there are I’ll protect you,” said Yuri giving Tiffany’s hand a light squeeze.

Tiffany nodded and they made their way to the forest. The temperature was much cooler in the forest with the shade the trees provided. The smell of the earth in a more natural state and not what she is used to from the concrete jungle of the city made Tiffany more relaxed. A small stream flowed next to the path that they took and she saw cute little tadpoles swimming around on the bottom. Frogs were perched on lily pads as if they were guarding the legless babies. As they continued to walk they saw mushrooms of different varieties. Tiffany gave Yuri a little pout when there were no pink ones. The two made it to the end of the trail where a worn down shack blocked their path. Tiffany screamed in fright when she saw the old scarecrow sitting on a worn down chair.

“That thing is creepy,” shouted Tiffany as she ran to hide behind Yuri.

Yuri laughed hard and replied, “That’s the point of it. It’s made to scare the birds away that’ll eat our harvest.”

“It’ll scare more than the birds,” whined Tiffany.

“It’ll be okay. We won’t have to come back this far. There is a second trail that ends with no scarecrow,” said Yuri as she soothed Tiffany.

Yuri led Tiffany back out of the forest, still holding her hand. They both bid Yuri’s family goodbye and made their way back to Yuri’s home. The rest of the day Tiffany spent lounging around while Yuri prepared their dinner. After dinner, the two planned on going out for a walk when the phone rang.

“Are you kidding me,” asked Yuri over the phone in an irritated voice. “You know this was my time off. There is no one else that can handle this? Fine. Okay.” Yuri hung up the phone with an audible groan.

“What’s wrong Yuri,” Tiffany asked carefully.

“The operator for one of the factory’s machines got injured and production can’t continue unless someone runs it. I’m sorry I have to ditch you tonight Fany,” Yuri said with sad frown.

“No, no Yuri! It’s fine. I brought my book with me and I can watch tv tonight while you are out. It’s an emergency after all,” Tiffany said.

“Thank you Fany. I’ll get back as soon as I can. I promise,” said Yuri as she placed her hand on Tiffany’s shoulder.

“Be careful,” whispered Tiffany.

Yuri placed her forehead on Tiffany’s and closed her eyes for a few moments. She whispered, “I will.” She looked at Tiffany one more time and then left. 

 

 

A/N: I finally finished Ch. 5 with this so once I finish Ch. 6 the conclusion I'll post up 5 and then 6 shortly after that. It's hard to write fluff when life gets you down but hopefully this chapter will hold you over until the fluffier Ch. 5.