Ch. 3

Taking A Chance

Tiffany was pretty groggy on the way to Yuri’s other friend’s place where she left the truck. Last night they both had to share a pull out bed at Sunny’s place. Things would have been fine if not for the fact that the crush of Tiffany’s life was next to her in nothing but shorts and a sports bra on her body. Talking throughout the night eased some of the anxiety but once Yuri fell asleep, Tiffany couldn’t help but look at her with longing. The sight made her want to take Yuri into her arms and hug her throughout the night. Even though it was evening the room was still pretty hot. Like it or not, Yuri was a walking furnace so the idea of cuddling all night was completely shot. She tried to take her pillow and sleep on the cooler floor but it hurt her back too much and she ended up on the bed again with Yuri. The whole night she tossed and turned while Yuri was oblivious to her inner and outer torment.

“Fany,” said Yuri snapping the other woman out of her thoughts. “We get off at the next stop. Sadly, Taeyeon is at work so you won’t be able to meet her this time. She lives right next to the train stop so we can get the truck quick. After that it’ll be another hour long drive out until we get to the country side.”

“I can’t wait to get there and relax,” Tiffany said with a smile. The two women exited the train and walked to Yuri’s truck. Yuri threw their things in the truck bed and they settled inside before taking off. It was nice finally having air conditioning again. With the cool air, Tiffany succumbed to the sleep that she was desperately craving all night.

“Wake up Fany, we’re here,” whispered a faint voice as Tiffany slowly came back to the world of the living.

“Mmmm…I must have dozed off,” yawned Tiffany.

“Yesterday must have taken it out of you a bit with the heat. Don’t worry, I have a good AC and you can stay in the basement room where it’s cooler,” said Yuri as she ran a hand over Tiffany’s hair to push it out of her face. Seeing Tiffany blush, Yuri chuckled lightly. “Let’s get your things inside. I can make us something to eat right quick and show you around the area.”

At a loss of words Tiffany nodded and followed Yuri inside her house to get settled. It was a simple place with only a first floor and a basement but it was cozy. The basement room had its own television set and bed. It was a tad chilly but it was better than facing the evil heat from yesterday. While Tiffany unpacked, Yuri went outside to grill some steaks and fresh veggies that she got from her parents farm. She told Tiffany they would visit the farm the next day and go take a stroll in the forest next to it. Being surrounded by so many lush plants and trees was an invigorating experience for Tiffany. The city she came from had its mini parks but there is something about being in the countryside that is relaxing. As she lay on the bed, she thought about how great it was for Yuri to let her come and that she hoped that the two of them would become even closer after this.

“Come and get it,” yelled Yuri from upstairs.

Tiffany went upstairs to find a nice spread of steak, dinner rolls, grilled veggies, and a garden salad. “Wow I am truly impressed Ms. Kwon. And to think I believed you when you said you couldn’t cook,” teased Tiffany as she sat down at the table.

Yuri sat down and served Tiffany the food. “Well it’s been a year and a half since we first talked. A lot of things can change within a person in that time,” she said with a smirk.

“Such as,” inquired Tiffany as she drizzled some of the light vinaigrette on her salad.

A moment of silence passed before Yuri stopped cutting her steak and looked at Tiffany. “In a year, you can finally learn how to appreciate the people that came into your life. You learn that friends will come and go but there are special people that stick around and make your life struggles more bearable. That special someone makes you want to become a better person so that when you finally get to see yourself in their eyes you can be proud,” she said never breaking her glance from Tiffany.

Smiling, Tiffany reaches over and takes ahold of Yuri’s hand. “And I am proud of you. It takes dedication going back to school after working hard for so long. I know you can do it and I will help support you through it as much as I can,” she said.

“I’m really glad that you could come over before I start college again. I know the memories we’ll share these next few days will help me get through this,” Yuri said squeezing Tiffany’s hand. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now let’s eat before your hard work gets too cold,” giggled Tiffany and she started eating her salad. 

They finished their meal and Yuri washed the dishes while Tiffany sat out on the porch. There were still a few hours of daylight left and Tiffany was curious about the black motorcycle parked in the front. Yuri came out and took a seat next to Tiffany. Her eyes followed Tiffany’s gaze and she smiled.

“Have you ever been on a motorcycle before,” Yuri asked.

“No. Is that one yours,” Tiffany asked back.

“Sure is. We got some time before it gets dark. I can take you out for a ride if you want,” said Yuri with a grin.

“I’d like that. I’m always up for new experiences,” said Tiffany as she stood up.

Yuri told Tiffany to wait by the motorcycle as she got the spare helmet from inside. She secured Tiffany’s helmet before putting on her own and straddled the bike. “Hop on and hold on tight to me. I won’t be able to hear you well once we get going,” Yuri said.

Tiffany got close to Yuri and wrapped her arms around Yuri’s waist tightly. Yuri the engine and they took off. Not used to being on a motorcycle, occasionally Tiffany would lightly bump her helmet into the back of Yuri’s when the bike slowed down at the stop signs. She felt like a racer when Yuri had her lean over to the side as they took turns. The whole experience was breathtaking, seeing the countryside and smelling the fresh air as they ripped through the roads. With Yuri, Tiffany felt alive and this was something that would forever be ingrained in her memories.