Like This

He's Annoying.

 

Enter: You, 15 years old.
Enter Taemin, 16 years old.

"They're so cool now, aren't they?" 

"Yeah! Remember when they were new? They looked so lost!" 

"Who's your favourite member?"

"All of them! They're all awesome!" 

"Ah, that's true!"

Laughter. It had almost been two years since Taemin debuted, and they went a long way since then. Even so, his visits home became rarer and rarer. The calendar on which you marked the days he was returning was almost always empty. He didn't even call his parents very often. When he did, it only lasted a few minutes before he had to go. 

Taemin was slowly disappearing. 

"Didn't they win the best male rookie award when they were new?" 

"Yeah, and you saw Jonghyun, right? He was crying so hard!"

"Oh, but the maknae.... Taeminnie! He didn't cry at all! He looked so excited!"

Giggles. Yeah, that was true. He didn't cry at all. How could he cry? He was living his dream. He was living the high off of fame. This was what he wanted, this was what he got. 

You were getting used to not seeing him around anymore, what with all the tours and concerts they have. He didn't call you any more, and that was okay. He probably had the same annoying topic to talk about, anyway. He never changed, that kid.

To replace his lost presence, you always checked fan-sites for updates on them. Recently, they finished a show called 'Hello Baby', which made them take care of a little boy. You watched it with the Lee family and laughed at the group's antics. Mrs. Lee didn't cry for her son as she did when he left, because he was doing his best in everything he did, and that made her proud. 

Other than Hello Baby, you read that he was going to release a new music video called 'Lucifer' two weeks from today. That seemed cool, if not anything else. Probably had him in the middle, like most of the other videos did. 

You turned your computer off. "You brat, not even visiting home! Aish," you commented to yourself. 

There was no homework today, so you visited Taesun. He was friendly to you, especially since you both no longer had Taemin to bother. 

"Oppa," you called from the front. He looked out the window, as he usually did, and quickly went downstairs. "Ya, you could at least call, you know," 

"Sorry," you apologized, not noticing that it was a rather last-minute plan. "What do you want to do?"

"In this kind of heat?" he asked sarcastically. "What else is there to do? Let's get some pat bing soo."

"Mmmm," you let out. Pat bing soo sounded like a really good idea in the middle of July. Taesun was like an older brother to you, even though your mother never really approved. Instead, she pushed you to remember Taemin, who you spent most of your childhood with. She insisted that you had to realize your feelings before getting too close with Taesun. Thing is, you never felt that way toward Taesun-oppa, so why was she being like that?

"Just two," he ordered from the lady. "For here." 

You sat down on a chair and he followed not long after, two bowls of delicious red bean shaved ice in his hand. "How much do you owe me for all the pat bing soo I've bought you all these summers?" He laughed, unwilling to hand you the second bowl. 

"Nothing, because we all know you need someone to go with to be able to eat it. You're so shy in crowds, Taesun. That habit needs to change!" You reach for the bowl, circling both arms around him and stretching your fingers. 

"Keh," he nodded, handing you the bowl. "You're going to get fat, you know."

"I don't care, you'll become fat, too." 

Surprisingly, he finished his shaved ice before you did, which means he probably wanted some even before you came to his house. When you walked back to his house, a van just left their front yard. "Who was that...?" you asked Taesun.

He shook his head. "Not sure, let's go check." 

There were voices in the house, two of them being Mr. and Mrs. Lee. The other one felt familiar, but sounded... different. "Ehhh...?"

As you two entered the house, Mr. and Mrs. Lee were sitting down on the couch with happy faces while the other voice was sitting, almost slipping from the single chair. He was slouching. You stood behind Taesun so the stranger would notice Taesun first. 

"PABO!" Taesun yelled. Oh, so was this guy Taesun's friend? 

The guy turned around. His features were quite manly even though he had long hair past his shoulders. It was tied up in a loose ponytail, which oddly matched him. His yellow shirt was bright, probably because it was still new. The orangey-brown of his hair was nothing like the jet black of the Lees. Who...? 

"HYUNG!" he replied, getting up from the couch instantly. "Hyung I thought you were hanging out with a friend!" 

Hyung? But Taesun didn't have a dongsaeng expect for...

He was here? That was him!?

"I was!" he replied, chuckling a little. "We went to get pat bing soo." he jerked his right shoulder, telling you to come out.

You stepped a few steps to the right, not directly looking at him. This was Taemin. The handsome man who sat in the living room was Taemin. He didn't look like a little kid any more. Neither did you, but the problem was, would he still remember you? 

Taemin didn't give a reply. Did he not know who you were...? He muttered something to his parents and got out of the chair. You didn't look at him, so you didn't know that he walked rather quickly toward you, extending his hand forward. Taesun moved aside, which you noticed, but not Taemin. 

"Bye," Taesun said as he went toward the living room. In the same moment, you look up; Taemin looking at you with eyes that somehow looked apologetic. 

"Let's... go out for a second." 

You tried to read his intentions, but failed. He took your hand, and locked it with his, interlacing his fingers with yours. His hand was warm. He took you outside until you two were walking around aimlessly in the neighborhood. "So you... you've been well?" 

It was awkward talking to him. It was like talking to a stranger who was supposed to be your best friend. You nod, not really wanting to letout your voice. 

This was really Taemin. The boy you grew up with— the boy who gathered precious memories with you. 

"So you.. does hyung always buy pat bing soo for you?" he stopped. His hand was still in yours, his warmth slowly becoming cold. 

"It was warm for a bunch of summers, so he always—" 

"Why?" 

"What?" you asked, not sure what he meant. "What do you mean?"

"Why do you make him get you pat bing soo? I thought that was supposed to be my job." You didn't have a clue about what he was talking about. Why was he suddenly so serious? Where was his childlike personality? 

It was awkward holding his hand now, so you tried to draw it back. No avail, since he gripped it sternly. Why did you feel guilty when he was asking you these things? You tried to read his eyes again, but instead, something warm started flowing down your cheeks. Soon enough, you coudn't even see Taemin clearly in front of you. You were crying. Why? Who knew? 

"Pabo," you called, your trembling hand trying not to let go of his. "Pabo."

You couldn't see his expression, but his grip became softer, almost loving. With his other hand, he brushed your hair aside, to wipe your tears. This was a different Taemin. He definitely became more mature than he was two years ago. 

He ruffled your hair. "I missed you too, if that's what you mean." 

For some reason, your heart fluttered. This was just Taemin, your friend, saying he missed you too. Why did it make you feel nervous? Why did you turn red?