Goodbye

He's Annoying.

 

Enter: You, 11 years old.
Enter Taemin, 12 years old.

"Today's the day," you mutter to yourself as you put on casual clothing and wait for Mr. Lee to come by at the front to pick you up. "Today's really the day." 

On top of your desk, a crinkled piece of paper in multiple colors flash brightly, with the words SM ENTERTAINMENT OPEN AUDITION printed boldly at the top, with the details of location and time in a much smaller font at the bottom. So Taemin was really going to do it, even though his friends told him he'd never make it, even though no one encouraged him, and even though no one pushed him onward. 

That was Taemin for you: the biggest dreamer the world. 

When you heard a car pull up, you ran down the stairs and kissed your parents goodbye, closing the door gently before rushing to the car. When the door slid open, Taemin sat there, blinking rapidly. He always did, when he was excited. 

"Taemin... you..." you started, not knowing how to put it. He wasn't dressed very nicely. A white sweater was draped on his shoulders, and he was wearing dark grey pants. He didn't look like a dancer... he looked like he just woke up. "You're going to the audition in that?" 

He shook his head, beckoning you inside the car. "They're not going to notice how I dress anyway. It's all in the skill!" He said as he punched the air.

Driving off, Mr. Lee just listened quietly to the conversation, laughing at the jokes you often made about Taemin's blinking and the way he worded things. It didn't take long to get to the audition, but the line was packed. There were people of all ages, lining up to enter a room with large wooden doors.

 You thought it would take long, but it didn't because Taemin was good with conversation. 

Someone exited the large room with a paper in her hands, and announced a list of numbers. 

"Omo, that's me!! Wish me luck!" he said enthusiastically as he gathered with the other contestants. You laugh with Mr. Lee about how all the other people he's entering with are girls, but nonetheless hopes he does well. 

"Do you think he can do it?" Taemin's father asked you, a smile on his face. He must be a proud father for having such a confident son. 

You reply, also in a cheerful mood. "He's been practicing for this day all his life. I think he'll stand out the most." And considering that the other girls that entered the room with him were all dressed up while he looked like he just woke up, he would definitely stand out. 

"Mmmm." Mr. Lee nodded, waiting patiently for him to come out. "But when he does succeed, he'll be travelling quite a bit and he won't be able to visit home very regularly." 

Won't be able to... visit? Of course. It was so expected. If he was such a big star, he'd have to promote himself all over the world. You knew this, everyone knew this, but why did it somehow... hurt? Why did it leave a bitter taste in your mouth?

It only took a few minutes before the doors opened again, but only the girls came out. 

Simultaneously, you and Mr. Lee look at each other, not sure whether to feel nervous or excited. You both wait a while longer until Taemin leaves,  his grin stretching from ear to ear. He made it. 

He made it.

It wasn't going to be long after that until he had to pack up to go. Until he had to leave. Until he had to say goodbye. 

Until he was gone.