Nine

Last Autumn's Embrace

Double update! Go back one chapter! ^^


It was well past 1am when they finally rested on the floor; Jongin laying on his chest with his arms and legs spread out wide and Hana just leaning back against the mirror behind her, her head bobbing up and down as she struggled to keep awake.

Today’s events definitely caused all of her energy to be drained completely. Her energy battery was just at an extreme point where she could just sleep anywhere no matter she was. But her consciousness kept her awake as she took in her surroundings again. No way was she going to sleep in an abandoned, isolated building with a stranger who has somehow seemed to be an acquaintance now.

Noticing the look of fatigue on her face, Jongin suggested they should stop and head back for the night. Anyways, he also didn’t have the strength to dance anymore since he already spent the day with dancing and dealing with his sister who keeps on teasing him all day. Yes, he practiced his dance. Not that he needed it anyway.

Jongin eyed the zombie-like Hana who was trudging her way out of the door with her head hung low and her sweater over her shoulders, its hood up and covering her face.

“Take care!” Jongin shouted as Hana reached the entrance. He received a sleepy grunt from her before she disappeared into the hallways, heading her way home.

The calmness of the atmosphere after she left was so relaxing and Jongin inhaled deeply, taking in all the fresh, cold air of the night. He had already turned his body to face the grey ceiling. The once racing heart calmed down as he caught a glimpse of the star-filled black night sky. Due to the lack of light pollution, the stars were shining more evidently and brightly.

“Hey Hana,” He stopped himself when he noticed that she was already gone. If she was still with him, he would’ve invited her to watch the stars in the sky with him. Then it occurred to him, she was a sleepy, or maybe more like zombie-like, girl walking all alone at 1am in the night back home. Jongin smacked his own forehead at his own dumbness for not being at least careful and cautious for Hana.

Immediately, he ran out of the building, his long legs helping him run in long strides until he reached the edge of the grassy field which was located right beside the road. Turning to his right, he continued running, hoping that he would bump into Hana along the way.

Sounds of grunting and shuffling of feet suddenly came to hearing. There, about 10 meters from where he was standing, he saw Hana trying to get past two guys who were blocking her way. Jongin clenched his fist at the sight of the two guys trying to talk to Hana. Can’t they see that Hana didn’t want anything to do with them?

Following his instincts, Jongin jogged towards their way and slung an arm around Hana’s shoulders and smiled as brightly as he could.

“Where were you, Hana? Don’t go alone like that again, okay?” Jongin cooed as he poked one of Hana’s round cheeks. The only hope he had was that she won’t snap back at him or that will ruin the entire act. Hopefully, the two guys would go away after seeing that she already had a close company.

But they didn’t budge. They just looked at Jongin with a menacing stare as if he was interrupting whatever they were doing. Jongin shifted his eyes down to the ground to see a big green bottle of soju in one of the man’s hand. Just as I thought; they’re drunk. He thought as he released a soft sigh from his lips.

Turning his attention back to the men’s faces, he noticed that they could be just be about their ages or older. That made it a little easier, somehow. Jongin gave the both of the guys a smile and a nod before he tried to go ahead with Hana still around his arm. And as he expected, one of the guys stopped him by pushing his chest back.

“Who are you to mess with our girl? We found her first. Get your own bait.” The guy with a hairstyle that could seriously pierce anything that landed above it, hissed. He had ear piercings and a tattoo of a dragon on his muscular left upper arm. Besides the still unbelievable spiky hair, he pretty much looked like what normal guys would usually wear and not what the gangsters wear.

His friend beside him was much less of a threat to Jongin since he overcame the guy by the terms of his height, size and tone. Jongin’s guess was that he was just one of spiky’s lackeys.

With a glare towards ‘spiky’, Jongin talked back, saying that Hana was his to begin with. He fished out his wallet out of his back pocket when he didn’t see any movement from the guy. Although Jongin dreaded to use this way to threat anyone, but sometimes, desperate times calls for desperate measures.

With a flick of his thumb, his wallet opened to reveal a police ID inside it. “If you don’t go away now, I’ll have to bring you to the police station for harassing a female.” Threatened Jongin and that was enough to make the two guys back away, feared to be caught by him, and ran away.

A chuckle escaped Jongin’s lips at how gullible the two guys were. He turned the wallet around and looked at ID, taking it out from its place. It was made of regular plastic and didn’t even have a chip on the side. You have saved me countless of times but you’re an embarrassment to me since I can’t do anything manly. Thank you, dad, for the fake police ID. He thought as he rolled his eyes.

Once he was sure that the two guys were out of sight and hearing, he turned to face Hana whose eyes were drooping slowly. Her legs finally gave way and she fell from exhaustion. On reflex, Jongin managed to catch her before she fell onto the hard ground. At first, he thought of what he should do; should he ask her where her house was or bring her to his house. He decided to go with the first one.

“Hana, where’s your house?” he asked softly as he patted the side of her arm, hoping for her to at least wake up and tell him where it was. Her eyelids fluttered open for a few seconds and she mumbled, “Over there.” Quietly and pointed to the a house located at the end of a lighted alley in front of them before going back to her deep slumber.

Feeling the heavy weight of the girl he was holding, Jongin decided to just carry her. Gently, he slipped his arm under Hana’s legs and with a huff, he carried her bridal style. Looking to his left, Jongin realized how close their faces as he felt her head leaned against his shoulder for comfort. Although half of her face was covered by her long black hair, her milky complexion was still could be seen with the minimal amount of light provided by the street lamp.

“You look kind of pretty now that you’re sleeping and not screaming,” he sarcastically complimented in a hushed voice as he slowly studied her features. Realizing what he was doing, Jongin snapped back to reality and shook his head, wondering what exactly he was doing.

After adjusting her weight on his arms, Jongin started his way to the house she mentioned. He just hoped that Hana wasn’t just sleep talking to him or he would’ve got lost in the neighborhood. He was, in fact, a little new to the area. The only path he knows is how to get to the subway station, the café, his house and that building. I should really get out more, Jongin thought through the journey to her house.

A few minutes passed and he was now in front of the said house. It was just a simple, one-storey house with a low black metal fence surrounding it and an outdoor lamp beside it. Upon opening the fence, which was fortunately not locked, with his foot, he shuffled to the door. He tilted his head to the side when he was faced with a sign that said, ‘CLOSED FOR ONE WEEK’ in black paint.

Deciding to just ignore it, Jongin reached out for the handle of the door with the hand under her knees, hoping that it wasn’t locked. To his luck, it wasn’t.

“Man, do you not ever lock your house, girl?” Jongin chuckled in amusement at how nothing is locked. The white door creaked open and he entered, trying to find the light switches. Once he found it, he tried to press them using his back and succeeded. Before walking up the one step to what he figured was the living room, he slipped out of his shoes since he saw that there were shoes in that area.

The place was a mess. Well, a neat mess actually. It was full of clothes and shoes stacked and collected in groups around the floor of the living room. Carefully, he stepped over the piles of clothes once he saw a white door with a hanging said that had the word ‘HANA’ in red.

It was slightly ajar and with a little push, there was just enough gap for him to slip in. The light from the living room was enough to illuminate the room so that he can distinguish some of the obvious objects in the room; a single bed beside the door, a rectangular desk by the small window opposite of the door and a small cupboard.

As gentle as he could, Jongin slowly placed Hana on the bed, slipping her pillow under her head carefully. He watched Hana as she stirred in her sleep as her hands searched for something around the bed. Jongin watched in amusement as she grabbed another long pillow that looked like a sausage and hugged it. Soft snoring could be heard after Hana buried her face into the pillow.

You’re a creep, Jongin. He thought after he caught himself staring at her sleeping again. Realizing that it was already 2am according to his clock in his phone, Jongin headed back home. He made sure that all the lights were off and the doors were closed before he went out of the house. Also, he helped clean up the place a bit for her. Even he himself was amazed at how he was willing to help in cleaning up places for people. He’s lazy to even do it for himself.

“You better be thankful, Hana.” He chuckled when he was outside and headed back home.


As promised! A double update ^^ Don't forget to comment :)