Fifteen

Last Autumn's Embrace

Standing in front of the long mirror, he fixed his black and red checkered necktie around his neck, making sure it looked neat upon his ironed white button-down collar shirt. He smoothened out the creases across the shirt and stood in front of the mirror, staring at himself.

It was his first time being a new student in a whole different school. What was he supposed to say when he arrives at his class?

“Hello, I’m Kim Jongin. Please take good care of me?” He bowed and pressed his lips together to form a thin line, contemplating whether that was what he’s supposed to say. He had always observed new kids in his class on their first day and thought that it was normal, but now that he’s going through it, he realized that it was harder than he thought it would be.

“Jongin, come and eat breakfast!” he heard Mrs. Kim calling from downstairs, the smell of fresh toast and cooked eggs wafting in the door. Grabbing his black backpack and his black uniform blazer on his bed, Jongin descended from the stairs whilst glancing at the clock on the wall. He had 10 minutes to finish eating and arrive at school.

On the family dining table, he spotted his father at the end of the table reading through the daily newspaper, a cup of black coffee in front of him. At the other end of the table sat his younger sister, Hyeri clad in a female version of the school uniform - A white button up, collared blouse covered by the black blazer with red outlines, a black and red checkered tie around her neck and a black and red checkered skirt just above the knees - happily munching on the piece of toast.

Jongin began calculating how many minutes it would actually take for him to finish eating and arrive at his school by bicycle.

It was a good thing that he was shown the way to the school on Saturday night when he and Hana were supposed to practice and prepare for the competition. He hadn't even told Hana that he would be schooled at that same high school as Hana and Sehun; he figured it'd be best to surprise them with that. He simply asked Hana to show him where the schools, playgrounds and shops were in the town.

Sure, his father had brought him to the school for a look around, but he was, as usual, not paying attention to anything that was told to him. He didn't even bother to remember the road to the school. To be quite honest, he kind of misses the town and his town friends.

But, he guessed that it was because of this Hana girl he bothered to remember and pay attention on anything about the town. Although Sehun also played a small part in his enthusiasm in the town, every time he wakes up, Hana would be his motivation to even go out of the house on the last days of summer.

Putting that aside, Jongin had somehow memorized the way to school and the other places around the town in that one night with Hana.

Focusing back on his calculations, he estimated that the amount of time to get to school from his house would approximately take about 5 minutes to head there by bicycle. And it would of course take an extra 1 minute for them to unlock their bikes from the fence.

Thinking that they would be late for their first day in the new school, he grabbed two pieces of toast, holding them between his teeth and grabbed Hyeri's hand and her school bag, which caused her to drop the third piece of toast from her hands when she was dragged to the door.

In a hurry, Jongin bade goodbye to his parents, shut the door behind him once he successfully dragged Hyeri out and quickly slipped in his shoes. Hyeri, not wanting to cause an argument early in the morning (and because she was already super pissed at Jongin for making her drop her toast), tied the laces of her black shoes after she slipped into them and got both their bikes.

"You know where the school is I suppose?" asked Hyeri, suppressing as much anger she could so that it wouldn't come out as a shout.

"Just follow me." was the only thing Jongin said as he started paddling ahead of her. Strapping her bag on her shoulders, Hyeri silently followed behind Jongin, mentally shooting daggers in his .

Unaware of the endless glare of his little sister behind him, Jongin looked to his right and left, trying his best to be aware of any incoming cars or motorbikes while eating the pieces of toasts he snatched before going out. Using one hand to steer the bike, he used his right hand to stuff the toasts into his mouth, eating as fast as possible.

The school was located exactly in the middle of the town, making the journey to any part of the neighbourhood easy.

After what seemed like 5 minutes, Jongin could see the gate of the school. They passed by a moderate amount of students before they reached the front of the entrance. Hyeri got off her bike first and immediately went to the first slot of the bicycle parking rack beside the gate before locking the wheel in place. Jongin followed suit.

Jongin was amazed at how large the school was for a small town like this. Maybe other students from other places came to this school too.

As they passed the gate, there were a parking lot for the teacher's cars and even a small fountain in the middle of the lot on top a round spot of grass and flowers, the words 'Incheon Hyein High School' embedded in the gray stone of the water fountain.

Glancing at his black wristwatch wrapped around his left wrist, there would be 3 minutes left before school started. He shifted his eyes to his left to see Hyeri gaping at the structure of the school. Nudging her, he led them to the school office to register and get their school schedules for the semester.

Thinking back about how big the school is, he decided that it was his job as the older brother to take Hyeri to her class, and he won’t take no as an answer, no matter how independent his sister wanted to be.

After registering and retrieving their stuffs, the both of them attended the weekly assembly held in the school gymnasium, standing in the very back of the lines since they came there the latest.

Unsurprisingly, Jongin hadn’t caught any glimpse of Hana or Sehun since he came. Looking at how big the number of students in the school was, he wouldn’t even be shocked if he hadn’t seen them for that day.

After an hour of welcome back speeches and a go-through of the semester’s events, the assembly was finally concluded and all of them dispersed to head to their classes, including Jongin and Hyeri.

Hyeri’s a year younger than Jongin and coincidentally, their classes were opposite of one another, a wave of relief flooding Jongin. Although Hyeri was a bit more independent and does not need anyone’s reliability more than him, he still felt the protectiveness as an older brother towards her.

“I guess I won’t have to worry about you anymore, Jong.” stated Hyeri, patting him on the back as she tightened her grip on her backpack straps, grinning widely before sauntering into her class. Jongin couldn’t stifle the chuckle seeing her throwing her arms into the air, exclaiming as loud as she could possibly be to the class who she is, causing the teacher who was already in the class to flinch from her obnoxious loud voice. He swore he could still hear the cheer of the students she got even when he closed his class’s door.

He turned his body to face the teacher already present in the class, bowing in respect and awkwardness as he realized that every single pair of eyes were on him, curious to who the new kid was. But before he could introduce himself, he heard a familiar voice. To be specific, two very familiar voices that he had grown accustomed to throughout his time here.

“Jongin?” both the best friends asked.

“What are you doing here?” Hana, who was sitting in the second row of the class asked, obviously confused on why the tanned boy was here, in her class.

He raised his index finger, signaling for them to stop talking for a while. After making sure he was sure that they’d stay silent to listen to his reason, sheepishly, he bowed in front of the class, his hands by his side.

“Hello everyone, I am Kim Jongin,” he paused for a while and looked at Hana and Sehun back and forth, smiling his childish smile, “and I’m a new student here. Hope you’ll take care of me.” He concluded and headed for the empty table at the third row that the teacher had shown him, one table to the left behind Hana, exactly two tables behind Sehun who was in the front row.

After making a small introduction to the guy he was seated beside with, he turned his attention to the teacher who had started the lesson; English.

~.~

She couldn’t believe her eyes and ears; she was in the same school as the boy who she had given dance lessons to during the break. Of course that didn’t sound that much of a big deal, but having him in the school worried her. Imagine all the things he could pester her about in school. Not to mention the attention he was getting for being undeniably handsome.

No wonder he asked to be brought to the school and around the neighbourhood on that Saturday night. She mentally scolded herself for it. If only she hadn’t dropped her mother’s picture at his house and become his eternal slave, she wouldn’t be this frustrated about him being here. Heck it, she would even be happy that Sehun reunited with his childhood best friend.

She tried to ignore the feeling of him staring at her back for the whole period, constantly trying to write the English notes down on her book.

~.~

All she could say was: English period was full of uneasiness and frustration.

You could call it childish all you want for caring so much, but even when Hana shot him a deadly glare after countless times of him dropping his stationery that unexpectedly rolled to her place, he wouldn’t stop it. She also got in trouble for shouting his name in class when the teacher was still teaching in front, causing her to stand up for the rest of the period.

At least she could take a break from that now. Brunch recess always had the best food served no matter what day it was.

Her positive mood went to a downfall as she saw Jongin sitting at her usual table with Sehun, chatting happily. She almost dropped her tray.

Lazily, she trudged towards the table, sitting as far as she could from Jongin after shooting him one of her deadly glares again. He seemed unaffected though and that bothered her more because somehow she didn’t want him to be affected by that.

Wait, what are you thinking, Park Hana? Of course you want him to suffer under your glare. She thought to herself, questioning on her previous thought.

A shadow appeared in front of her as she was about to take the first bite of her egg sandwich. With an opened mouth, she slowly took in the sight of the checkered black and red skirt, the black blazer with red outlines along with the tie and white blouse, and finally reached the face of the person in front of her.

“Hyeri!” she exclaimed, setting down her sandwich, “you’re here too?” the answer was obvious from the uniform she wore.

The younger one placed her red tray on the rectangle white table, facing Hana with a bright smile upon her lips. Hyeri looked so pretty with her hair up in a ponytail. Guess the looks run in the genes too.

“How was the start of your day with that guy over there?” Hyeri asked, titling her head to her left towards Jongin’s way. She knew that she was in the same class as Jongin after seeing that her brother went out of the class with Hana. Well, more like following silently behind Hana.

For once on that frustrating first day of school, Hana tugged the corner of her lips upwards, happy that she finally was in the company of someone who was someone like her.

“Horrible.” She chuckled.


Author's note: Did you enjoy it? This is more towards Jongin and Hyeri's first day tho. ._. Hang in with meee, coz i promise there will be promising twists to this story. Maybe you'd be shocked, maybe you won't. Anyways, hope you like it. Comments are appreciated ^^