Ten

Last Autumn's Embrace

Fluttering her eyes open, she was met with the green digital numbers of her alarm clock. 7:30AM. She thought. Before she could even try to drift back to sleep, realization hit her. Immediately, she shot up and grabbed her alarm clock rather roughly. “It’s 7.30?!” She shouted as she got off from bed and rushed to get ready for work.

As she wore the café’s black and white uniform, she thought about yesterday. How did she get into her house? When did she go home, even? Tilting her head to one side, she wondered about what happened last night. All she remembered was teaching that Jongin guy dancing. What happened after that? Hana thought as she looped the black ribbon to keep her hair in a ponytail.

Irrelevant thoughts began to swim around her mind the more she thought about it. Before she could think deeper, she slapped her cheeks to snap her out of her thoughts.

“Hana, nothing happened yesterday. Maybe he sent you home and you were too tired to bother about it. Yeah, that’s what happened. I’m sure.” Nodding her head in front of the mirror, she tried to convince herself that nothing bad happened. With curiosity trying to take over her mind, it was tempting to contact Jongin to ask what happened yesterday but she managed to hold it in as she prepared to go to work.

Her heart skipped a beat out of shock as she opened the door. It was Sehun who seemed like he was just about to knock on the door. Hana heaved a relieved sigh as she placed her hand on her chest, calming down. Upon closing the door, she turned around to Sehun and asked why he was here.

“I was worried about you since you weren’t at the café when I arrived.” Sehun said sheepishly, rubbing his hand at the back of his neck.

“No need to worry about me, Sehun. You do know that I also have days that I wake up really late,” replied Hana as they began walking to the café side by side. “You’re just tiring yourself by going back to the café.” She said and looked at Sehun.

“But, if it’s you, I wouldn’t mind the tiredness.” He quietly confessed, fiddling with his fingers at his back and nervously looked at her.

Hana chuckled and slapped Sehun’s back, saying that he was so cute and funny as she fastened her pace to head to the café. Being at the back, Sehun looked at the ground as he kicked a small pebble, “it’s true though.” He softly mumbled and he looked up to see Hana already in front of the café’s entrance. Heaving a heavy sigh, Sehun just shrugged and ran after her to enter the café before the customers begin to fill the place up.

It was a good thing Sehun cleaned he place up a little before heading to Hana’s place. They wouldn’t have to worry now about the messiness of the café. A smile crept up to his lips as he saw Hana politely greeting customers.

~.~.~

“Where did Uncle Joonyoung go again?” asked Hana curiously as she leaned against the counter, waiting for customers to come. It was about 11am and there were not that much people that came. They were resting a bit before lunch comes.

“He went to visit my grandfather in Seoul. He informed me that he’ll be gone for 3 days. So, I’ll- I mean, both of us have to take care of the shop while he’s gone.” explained Sehun to Hana for the 3rd time. He was busy bringing the dirty dishes back to the kitchen to be washed. The other workers were also busy with their work.

Hana observed the staffs that were working and the thought of ordering the junior staffs around was really tempting. A soft chuckle escaped her lips as she thought of the ridiculous orders she would give to the junior staffs.

Eyeing her actions, Sehun let out a cough and playfully warned her not to bother ordering people around, especially the juniors. The fact that Sehun could even know what she was thinking was something that she was used to.

With her lips pouting, she let an annoyed sigh and slumped back on the counter, crossing her arms across her chest.

“He’s absolutely no fun at all.” Hana mumbled under her breath, making sure that the said person, Sehun would hear it. She only received a roll of his eyes and more annoyance.

Before she could think of something snappy to say to Sehun, she heard the little bell ringing as the door opened. Her intention to greet the customer paused for a while as she eyed the person standing in front of the entrance. Awkwardly, she greeted the person and tried to hide her face, averting her eyes from looking at him.

“Jongin!” Hana turned around to the source of the voice to see Sehun smiling brightly with his arms spread wide. She looked back at Jongin and tried to not look confuse, but the crease on her forehead gave it away.

“Hana, I would like you to meet my childhood best buddy, Kim Jongin.” Sehun said as soon as he arrived at their spot. Patting his hand on Jongin’s back, Sehun gave her his trademark eye smile.

“Hi, Jongin, I am-.” Before Hana could finish her awkward greeting and introduction, she was cut off by Jongin.

“Park Hana, nice to meet you again.” He simply said and flashed his white teeth. Hana felt a bit awkward with his somehow friendly and cheerful attitude. It crept the hell out of her, for real. It was not nice to meet you again, Kim Jongin.

“Oh, you two know each other? That’s great!” Sehun clapped his hands together, thinking that both his best friend and crush knew each other. It would be easier for the three of them to get along together. What he didn’t know was that Hana eventually became Jongin’s ‘servant’.

As the two best friends caught up with whatever it was in their lives that both of them seem to not know, Hana slowly escaped from the both of them, not wanting to get involved in anything. She continued her work with greeting the other customers, going from table to table.

“How did you know it was me, Sehun?” Jongin asked as he was led to his table that was by the window. Sehun sat at the seat opposite of Jongin before explaining to him that Uncle Joonyoung sent him a picture of Jongin that he took when Jongin and his family first came to the café.

“So, what can I get you?” The taller of the boys asked as he got up from his seat, seeming to be heading to the kitchen to get him a drink. But before he could go, Jongin spoke up.

“Can I have that Hana girl to be my waitress?” he blurted out without thinking. “I mean, like, you’re my best friend and it’s kind of weird to have my best friend serving me.” Jongin quickly added before Sehun could ask anything else.

“Oh, okay then,” agreed Sehun without asking any further questions, “I’ll ask her then. I’ll be going back to work then.” He said as he called Hana and went back to his work.

Jongin unconsciously chuckled at the girl’s facial reactions when Sehun asked her to be his waitress; relief, confusion, unbelief, complaining and the two last ones were his favourites which were frustration and annoyance. He didn’t know why those reactions were an amusement for him. Either he just enjoys annoying the girl or maybe, just maybe, he found it cute. Not wanting to think further about the topic, he shook his head.

“What do you want?” A cold, edgy voice snapped him into reality. He looked up to see Hana with trays of empty dishes in her hands. A smile managed to creep on his face seeing the crease on her forehead.

“I just want one hot chocolate.” Jongin simply requested.

A huff of air was blown from Hana’s lips as she rolled her eyes, heading back to the counter and entering the kitchen to quickly make the hot chocolate after she muttered an ‘Alright’ to him. She just wanted to quickly be done with serving him so that she can just ignore his presence in the café.

But it’s pretty obvious that the boy would not be satisfied with just that.

~.~.~

“It’s too sweet.”

“Ow, it’s too hot.”

“Haven’t I said that I don’t want cream in it?”

“Why is it too bland?”

Those were just some of the comments and complaints that Jongin came up with every time he received his hot chocolate from Hana. There was always something that was not ‘perfect’ with his hot chocolate.

This would be about the 10th time Hana had remade the hot chocolate. She was this close to just pouring the cup of hot chocolate on the tanned boy’s face as she walked to his table. It was a convenience that his table was the closest to the counter. Sometimes, Sehun would ask Hana if there were any problems and Jongin would just say it’s nothing.

Nothing, my . She thought as she fast-walked to the table, slamming her hands on it as she placed the cup on the table. Her eyes furiously watched as the amused Jongin take a sip from the cup.

“Don’t. Say. Anything, it’s not too hot and just hot enough. It has exactly 3 big spoons of chocolate, one freaking spoon of cream which is from the brand that you asked and I made sure the spoon that’s in the cup is the same color as your freaking shirt that you’re freaking wearing right now which is brown. Happy?” Hana breathed each of the words out as soon as Jongin’ mouth began to open after he took a sip. She tried to restrain her voice from being too loud.

The smile on his face was enough for Hana to take that as a yes. And so, she immediately left him and started to serve other customers after muttering an ‘Alright, good then,’ to Jongin.

Seeing that Hana finally finishing serving Jongin, Sehun came up to her and asked if she was okay. Not wanting to worry her best friend, she just assured him that she was feeling okay and a bit tired.

Jongin’s eyes followed her everywhere she went. Whenever she would go into a room, he would just stare at that spot until she’s out. Regularly, he would pat himself for staring too long, frequently reflecting and asking what’s wrong with him. It was all he did during his time seating there which was for about 6 hours besides playing with his phone and drinking.

Shifting his eyes back to his cup that was already half empty, he started to think about the question. Maybe it’s because she’s your servant that you’re acting this way. Yeah, that’s why. I’m just checking up on her to make sure she’s okay. A sound of something crashing to ground averted his thoughts away. He was met with the sight of Hana on the floor, picking pieces of broken plates and cups.

“Ow!” He heard her exclaiming in pain. Apparently, her finger was cut when she was picking one of the pieces up. As if on instinct, Jongin immediately shot up from his seat.

But before he could go and help her, Sehun came rushing to her side, instantly inspecting her wounded finger before wiping the trickle of blood flowing down from it and placing a plaster in its place. They continued to clean the other pieces and put them on the tray Hana was holding. She was trying to blow the strands of hair from her face when Sehun tucked the hair behind her ear and took the tray from her hands. Hana tried to deny his help, but he insisted.

He didn’t know why, but the scene in front of him somehow managed to make him feel a small squeeze in his heart.


First and foremost, sorry for the late and crappy update. Yeah, I don't know what I'm writing. Tell me what you guys think of this chapter, please? ^^ I'll not be updating in two weeks coz I have finals. So yeah.