Kris - VII

Kingdom Love [EXO]

Kris - Part Seven

 

 

My Mei Li... Is In Danger.

 

You walked down the halls with a basket in your hands – it was laundry day and it was your turn this week to hang out the sheets. You held onto the basket tight, making your steps quiet as you didn’t want to make much of a noise as you walked.

As you walked, your mind flashed back to what had happened a few days ago – Kris had gathered all of the people in the kingdom to the castle areas where he had announced his relationship with you, he had made everything public and needless for you to say, you were overwhelmed by the response.

You were afraid that they would object, that they would not approve of a maid to be his lover but based on how Kris spoke – his voice and determination as he announced that you were the woman he loved; there was no way anyone could object.

You could see the look on everyone’s faces as you stood beside Kris, his hand tightly enclosed around yours the moment the king took over in speaking to announce that anyone who defies or even tries to come in between what you have with Kris will be deeply punished – anyone who even has the guts to say anything about this, will also receive the punishment they would do not wish for.

It left such an impact that other maidens had begun to feel afraid but as the days went by of you still being your usual self, with you still being able to joke around with them, they noticed that you weren’t like those other women who would love a man for his money – they saw that you, were really genuine.

And regardless of your relationship with Kris, you were still doing your job.

As you held onto the basket, you were stopped when suddenly there was a person in front of you. Looking up, you could analyze that grin as he placed a note into the basket before he walked away. You couldn’t even call him over when you put the basket down, grumbling, “Tao…”

You picked up the piece of paper, opening it where you could see it was written with Kris’s handwriting.

‘Meet me at the garden now, mei li.’

You stared at the paper, and then at the basket beside you. Kris could wait…


“No it’s fine, I just need to put the basket back in the laundry room and I’ll be done for the day.” You smiled at another maiden, Lini, who offered to carry your basket back for you since she was going back there but you were merely ten steps away from the room. She smiled and gave a nod, making her way back out to the field to hang out the other clothes. After putting the basket back to the rightful place from where you took it from, it seems like you could feel this piece of paper poking your thigh, reminding you of where you should be by now.

Your eyes widened, a gasp emitting from your throat as you dashed out of the laundry room, down the hall where you had to get to the garden.

“I hope he isn’t waiting that long…” Your heart whispered as on your way there. Just as you were to make it to the door, an arm had extended out of nowhere, grabbing onto your arm where he had yanked you to the side with a muffled scream coming out from your lips as his hand shot up to place it over your mouth. You blinked rapidly, wiggling your body until your back was pressed against the corridor walls with Kris looming over you with his dark eyes – you had once again put your working duties ahead of him.

He didn’t like that very much.

He hated it, in fact.

He hated it so much…

He let go of your mouth and your arm as he had his arm extended against the wall, beside your head where he was like a shield caging you in with the wall behind you. You looked up to him and blinked a few times, gulping before you managed to murmur his name in a soft voice, “K-Kris…”

He leaned back, crossing his arms in front of his chest where he cocked an eyebrow, “Did you get the message from Tao?”

You gave a meek nod, feeling slightly intimidated, “Y-Yes, I did.”

He narrowed his eyes at you, “Then why didn’t you come to the garden?”

“I… I was… I was working.” You managed to stammer, causing him to uncross his arms where he sighed, coming closer towards you as he dipped down to look into your eyes. He saw how tired you were from working as well as balancing the relationship you two shared. He could see how stressful it truly was – working in the castle as well as trying to keep up with the dates and meetings with him; he knew how much it must be for you to carry on your shoulders.

This was the reason why he wanted you to not work, to live each day like a princess because it was just what you deserved.

But then, you wouldn’t listen.

You felt like you were taking advantage of his wealth even though he explained to you over and over again…

“Mei li, I want to be able to spend my time with you whenever I’d like – I want to be around you more often but how can I do so when you’re always working?”

You frowned, was it really your fault for working? Was it your fault for trying to at least, repay him and his parents’, the king and queen who have been so humble to you and for them to accept you into their family meant so much to you that you wanted to pay – you wanted to show them you weren’t in it for Kris’s richness at all.

You furrowed your eyebrows at him, “S-So it’s my fault for wanting to work?”

Kris sighed, shaking his head, “That’s not what I meant.”

You gently pushed his arm off, taking a step to the side, away from him, “But that’s what you said.”

He his lips fretfully, both of his palms soothing on your shoulders to bring you close, “What I mean is, I’m a prince, mei li. And… I know you want to keep your job as a maid but you don’t need to anymore. Not when you have me now.”

You carefully peeled his hands off your shoulders, tilting your head to the side where you looked at him in disbelief, “Are you… ashamed that I’m a maid?”

“Yes – no! Mei li! That’s not what I meant!”

“Then what are you saying?” You cried out in frustration, your eyes locked on his where his lips parted to say something again but when your voice was being called out from over Kris’s shoulder, you sighed and shook your head, “I… I have to go now.”

He gripped onto your wrist when you walked around him as he turned around to look at your back, “I’m not done talking to you, mei li.”

You glanced down at him gripping onto your wrist before you blinked at him tiredly, “But I have work to do…”

He scoffed, letting go of your wrist, “So your work as a maid is more important than me?”

You gasped, blinking at him abruptly with tears glazing your eyes – you couldn’t believe he had just said that.

He realized what he said, his gut giving him a huge kick as he took a step forward, a hand on your arm, “Mei li, that’s-“

“Not what you meant.” You finished his sentence, pushing his hand away. You nodded, clicking your tongue, “Everything isn’t what you mean, isn’t it?”

He let out a deep sigh, “I-I’m sorry, mei li. What I’m trying to say is-“

“Save it.” You cut him off, shaking your head as you turned back around to walk away from him – you really had to get your work done. He gaped at how you walked away from him, his arm extended out to hold onto you but now he couldn’t – not when you had just left like that. He spun around to kick the wall with a grunt, closing his eyes to think – why couldn’t he get the message across properly?


Kris walked down the halls, heading straight towards his room without acknowledging his mother standing in the middle of the hall. Her hand raised up along with her parted lips to say something but based on how dark and gloomy his face looked as he brushed past her with a soft ‘sorry’ before he made into his room – that slamming of the door only emphasized how heated he felt right now.

She clicked her tongue, lowering her hand down as she paced towards the stairs where she could see your figure entering the castle again. She called your name quietly. It was night, after all. Your chin lifted up slightly to meet with her warm gaze. You gave a slight smile and a bow, before making your way back to your room – she could tell Kris was angry, mad or sad even because of you.

With a sigh, she shook her head, walking towards Kris’s bedroom with her hand placed on the door knob, “I’m coming in.” She announced before twisting the door knob open only to see Kris’s figure looming on the bed, his feet planted on the floor with his back facing her as she entered soundlessly. She closed the door behind her, making quiet steps towards her son who still didn’t move an inch. “Kris?” His mother’s voice soothed into his ears, making him shift on the bed for her to sit down without an order.

She took the spot beside him, a hand on his shoulder where she gave him a small squeeze, “Would you like to explain to me what happened to the two of you?”

Kris raked both of his hands in his hair, your words you said to him affected him so, so much… The way your face looked as he had muttered the wrong words, as he had hurt your feelings came up into his mind – he felt so horrible but at the same time he didn’t understand why.

He was so lost, so confused.

He shook his head in his hands before removing his hands from his hair, turning his body a little to face his mother who had both eyes wide open at her son’s actions. Kris his lips nervously, making eye contact with his mother.

“Mother,” Kris’s voice was shaky, but he was trying to sound strong.

Kris’s mother offered a smile, “Yes?”

Kris hesitated, pressing his lips in a thin line as he didn’t know if he should ask this but as soon as his mother shifted closer, reaching to hold onto one of his hands, he knew he could ask whatever that was in his mind. Kris closed his eyes, looking down on their hands held together before he opened his eyes, with his eyes muttering a soft ‘why?’.

His mother chuckled, “Why what, Kris? You have to finish your sentence in order for me to give you a detailed answer.”

Kris gave his mother’s hand an unintentional squeeze, his lips parted where he asked, “Why won’t she give up her job as a maid?” He glanced at her before he continued speaking, “I mean, I can support her – I know I can. She can live in the room beside my room – or even with me, if she’d like. Her mother could have a room with her as well if she wants – I want to take care of her with all I have and I… I just don’t get it.” Kris shook his head, letting go of his mother’s hand before he proceeded to rub his face tiredly – he really felt lost.

You put him in this maze where he couldn’t find the way out.

You were the only person in his life who had the authority to do this to him.

“Am I wrong for trying to take care of her?” Kris muffled the words through his hands, a sigh escaping his lips as his mother turned him by the shoulders, peeling his hands from his face with a smile, “Kris, you’re not wrong.”

Kris’s eyes opened in frustration, “Then why wouldn’t she let me take care of-?”

“She needs time, Kris.” His mother spoke up, causing Kris to freeze as he furrowed his eyebrows – he was more confused now.

“Kris, you have to understand that you, have a family. You have me and your father but who does she have?”

Kris his lips nervously, stammering out, “She has Ma. That’s-“

“Someone who vowed to take care of her. Does she have any blood related family members who are still by her side up until this day?”

Kris gulped, the light in the pathway in his mind getting brighter as he was so close to an answer but he needed more clarification. “N-No…”

His mother nodded once, “And does she have any source of income that she can rely on? Before she met you?”

It had hit Kris like a train – he felt it… What his mother was trying to tell him, he felt that.

“N-No.”

She smiled. “Exactly, Kris. She’s not used to having people protect her, let alone take care of her. You have to take it step by step. You have to take things slow and let her adapt to things – you can’t just force her to stop her job immediately and move into a royal room; it’s too much for her. It may be normal for you, my son but the two of your lives are different.” She gripped onto his hands, “You were born as a prince – you, I’m very sorry to say but you were born with the luxury around you; but me and your father had made you work for it whereas, she… she had nothing to work with. She had nowhere to start, not a point for her to start from – nothing. You have to understand the difference and learn how to approach her differently. You can’t turn her into a princess in one day especially when she’s been living as a maid for as long as she can remember, Kris.”

Kris blinked at his mother, looking over her shoulder where he could see the scarf you made for him, the matching sweater along with the gloves on his shelf – it made him smile. He then gave a slow nod, “I think I know what you mean, mother.”

His eyes flickered back to her, “Thank you.”

He got up and loomed over to plant a kiss on his mother’s forehead, “Thank you so much.”

She grinned at him when he jogged around the bed, towards the door where he flung it open, closing it behind him as he went down the stairs. She couldn’t help but laugh, shaking her head, “Just like his father.”


“Darn it,” You cursed, standing up where you knew it was gone. The precious chain around your neck that he gave you – it wasn’t there. You looked all over your room, trying to find it but it wasn’t here, nor there. It wasn’t in here at all!

“Hmm?” Ma hummed from her mattress, eyes locked on you as you got up with a shaking of your head, “I think I left it outside by the laundry area. I need to get it.”

Ma frowned, “It’s dark outside – and it’s so late. Can’t it wait until tomorrow?”

You shook your head, it was so important to you…

“I can’t, Ma. I need it now…”

Ma got up with a small sigh, “Alright, alright. Get the oil lamp – we’ll go get it now.”

“Okay…” Your voice was soft, following her orders.


“Did you find it?” Ma asked as she held onto the oil lamp. The two of you had come out to the laundry area in the field – it was so empty, so quiet. The sheets that were hung earlier was still here, making it harder for you to find it on the ground considering the wind blew hard with the white sheets flying everywhere to cover your vision. But even with that, it didn’t stop you from crawling down on the ground until your eyes sparkled the moment you found it lying on the ground. You reached for it, holding it in your hands until you got up, only to come face to face with someone who you knew – you just knew he wasn’t supposed to be around here.

You your back, locking gazes with Ma one last time just before your voice got muffled the moment two hands shot forward to cover your mouth, two other arms from the side gripping onto your body.

Ma gasped loudly, her feet trying to come close to see you but your body was blocked by the white sheets flying to cover your whole figure.

It wasn’t until merely seconds after the sheets changed direction in moving, it had revealed that your figure was now gone – taken away by the few men who had come out of nowhere. “No!” She shouted, running past the white sheets with her hand letting go of the oil lamp as she tried to grab onto you but it was far too late.

One of the men who had come had pushed Ma with a bit of force – she had fallen down to the ground with her arm extended out to reach for you. The men had immediately ran as fast as they could, their figures blending in with the night until they were out of sight – it left Ma breathless as she was on the ground.  She flinched when she heard a voice calling for your name, it was Kris’s voice.

Ma remained on the ground, shaking terribly as she kept chanting your name over and over again, her hand reaching to hold onto the necklace you treasured so dearly. She gripped onto the necklace, shaking her head as her eyes closed – you can’t possibly be kidnapped.

But you were.

You were gone from her sight, being taken away far from the castle.

To somewhere you… somewhere you don’t know where.

“M-Ma?” Kris’s voice echoed into Ma’s ears, causing her to flinch as she looked over her shoulder to lock gazes with Kris. He gasped when he saw the tears running down her cheeks based on the dim lighting given by the oil lamp on the ground. Kris rushed down to the ground, coming beside her where he held onto her shoulders, “M-Ma? What’s wrong? Where is she?”

Ma shook her head, the tears rushing down her face even faster as she held up the necklace in her hands, “T-They took her. They… four of them. They took her.”

Kris shook his head, looking down on her as he couldn’t understand what she was saying.

Where were you?

Ma was crying harder now, her hand reaching for Kris’s hand where she placed the necklace in his hands, “They took her! They came through the castle walls and they took her with them! She’s gone!”

Kris looked down on the necklace, the evident initial of your name with his had given him this message his heart was too scared to even say.

His girl was in danger.