Kris - VI

Kingdom Love [EXO]

Kris - Part Six

 

 

Welcome To The Family, My Dear.

 

“Mei li?” His voice coaxed into your ears, making you hum as you lifted your chin to lock gazes with him. He smiled down on you, one of his arms around your waist as the both of you had lied down on the ground behind the large tree, his arm acting like a pillow for you to rest on as he kept you close. You had one of your arms folded up where you could hold onto his hand properly, a grin on your lips as you waited for him to speak – could you believe how fast time flew?

It has been a few months now since that very month.

How things fell into place properly… you would’ve never imagined for your dear life.

How nights where the two of you just get to see one another, how he sneaked you back into his bedroom sometimes, how he had you with him during your working hours, how he had managed to get Tao and a few trusted mates to set up certain dinner nights in an unused room in a castle – the things he’d do for you blew your mind all the time.

But let’s not forget those moments where your little actions meant the world to him.

Whenever he had to leave the castle to go out, you’d somehow and miraculously prepare everything he would need without him asking. You would make the little essential things that made his heart flutter – thanks to you, he had a scarf, gloves and a sweater to wear whenever he gets cold. He couldn’t even thank you enough for the little notes you’d leave in his bedroom whenever he was feeling upset about how he couldn’t be with you, when he was feeling doubtful about himself as your lover, you always found the right way, the right time to make things alright again.

How were you so perfect?

Even the times when you felt like you weren’t compatible for him due to the vast social status difference, he would always prove to you otherwise that it doesn’t matter.

As long as he loves you, and you love him – it will all be alright.

And if it didn’t work out the first time, the two of you would make things work out in the end.

That’s what love is about.

“You know we’ve been together for a few months now,” He started out quiet, causing you to hum in approval – he was correct so far…

“And… I was thinking…”

You could hear how his voice drifted off, how his grip on your hand loosened as your lips parted at him. The doubts had washed over you as you blinked at him, you were now afraid.

Don’t tell you that he was now…

Your eyes grew wide as you your lips nervously, “T-Thinking about?”

He cleared his throat nervously, “A-About…”

You gulped, leaning away from him where you sat up with your back facing him. You gently peeled his hand off your waist where you breathed out quietly, “I… I think I get it.” Your hands looked down on his before you placed it to the side with a shaky breath – you couldn’t explain how much it was banging you in the chest right now just trying to let it all sink in. What made you think you could even get him in the first place? Your mind scolded you, but your heart tried to defend you.

He was so genuine the whole time, he never pressured you to do anything, he was so caring and so loving – it was impossible to not fall in love.

He could’ve been lying – everybody lies. Your mind scolded you once again. Are you happy now that you’re hurt? Your mind continued. How are you going to forget him now? Your mind wouldn’t stop with the rambles that made your heart crack as you exhaled heavily, shaking your head, “I didn’t know why I thought I could’ve had you in the first place.”

You chuckled painfully, frowning in the next as the tears glazed your eyes as you shook your head, “Silly me…”

He furrowed his eyebrows as he stared at your back – what on earth were you talking about? He was talking about something else; not about… Oh no. His heart nearly leaped out of his chest as he sat up with you, a hand on your waist where he held onto you. His eyes widened at you when he knew you had mistaken what he was about to say. “No no no, mei li. It’s not what you think it is.”

You closed your eyes, unable to look at him when he cupped your cheek with his other hand to make you face him, “Then what is it?” Your voice was so quiet, as if you were afraid.

Then again, you were.

You were so afraid – this is why you never trusted anyone here apart from Ma.

You were afraid of being left behind. You didn’t want to be left again.

“I was talking about telling my parents about us.”

Your eyes popped open so fast, you nearly scared him as he jerked back with a grin creeping on his face. He your cheek with a warm smile, “God… You scared me.”

You couldn’t help but let your heart calm down as you stared into his eyes – there was this certainty that contained in his voice. He sounded so serious, yet – wait. Did he just say…?

You then gasped, eyes opening wider than before when you realized what he had just said, “D-Did you just say ‘tell your parents about…’?”

He chuckled, nodding his head where his hands moved down to grip onto yours, “Yeah, about us. I think it’s time we did just that.”

You suddenly froze in his grip as he shifted closer, wounding his arms around your waist where he could feel something was off. He looked at you worriedly, a small frown on his lips as he looked down on you, “M-Mei li, are you alright?”

You gulped and shook your head, “I’m scared of your parents…”

You looked away from him, “L-Like, what if they don’t approve of us? Of… me?” He could hear how afraid you were. How truly petrified this all was to you that it just showed how much you really loved him to this extend until it made you worry this bad. He sighed, shaking his head as he squeezed your waist gently, trying to make you look at him but you still had your head turned to the side. “Hey… Look at me…” He whispered, arms around your waist that managed to pull you back to him when you shifted away. “C’mon now, mei li… Look at me.”

You exhaled quietly, looking over your shoulder where your eyes locked gazes with his. One of his arms moved, allowing his hand to place it on your cheek subtly with this heavenly smile he let you see – it warmed your heart up just… just like that. It made you feeling that things will be fine – things will be alright no matter how you looked at it.

“It’ll be fine, I promise.”

You gulped, remaining still until he leaned down to kiss your nose, “Do you trust me?”

Your eyes closed deliberately, voice hushed as you mumbled, “Yes.”

His hand on your cheek moved to brush strands of your hair away from your beautiful face, he kept smiling at you as he whispered, “Then it’ll be fine.”

 


 

“M-Ma, it’s time…” Your voice was filled with fear as there were two knocks on the door – it made you flinch as you looked down on the dress Ma had lent you. It was your mother’s, apparently…

It was this red velvet dress that hugged around your body well, it was long until it touched the ground, a white fabric around your waist in a form of a ribbon to emphasize your waist as Ma had help to do your hair, tying it to the side where she had a red flower in your hair – if you told people you were a princess here, they would believe it.

She came towards you, placing her hands on your cheeks where she framed your face in her hands, “Don’t for a second feel afraid – this is love we’re talking about, do you understand?”

You gulped and shook your head, “Ma… I’m afraid.”

She shook her head this time, making you stay put as she held onto you, “And you think I’m not afraid? I’m giving you away to them – to the royals. I’m afraid that one day you’ll come to forget me…”

You held onto her hands on your cheeks with a small frown, “You know I can never forget you…”

She sighed and let go of you, turning you around by your shoulders for you to face the door, “Then get out there and show them who you truly are. If ever anything goes wrong, you should know that I’ll be right here, praying for things to be alright.”

You gave a mere nod, stepping forward where you opened the door to come face to face with Tao. He smiled genuinely, offering his arm to you for you to link it with him. With a small smile you managed to give to Ma over your shoulder, you linked arms with Tao as he escorted you to where the royal dining hall is – this is it…

You gulped and looked at Tao, “H-Hey… Tao?”

He noticed your voice, how petrified you sounded as he looked down at you, keeping a calm pace in walking, “Yes, maiden?”

“D-Does the king and queen know about me…?” You questioned in a very quiet voice, one in which that was so hushed, so endearing. Now Tao could really see why Kris would fall in love with you – you were everything that Kris wished for.

Tao was here for Kris ever since Kris could even remember and seeing Kris growing accustom to someone whom he knew could be trusted – he was truly happy for Kris. Although Kris was a prince, Tao was someone Kris leaned against whenever he needed someone. Being a prince had its responsibilities and Tao being his right hand man, his mate and his knight, Tao was always there for him. However, Tao who has been in the castle walls for over a decade, he had also known about your existence. He has heard from countless of other maidens of how diligent you were, how you truly did your work. Tao found it hard to believe because it was tough finding maidens like you anymore that he did his research – he didn’t want Kris to love the wrong woman and definitely, you had proved Tao wrong.

You’d do your work whenever you were told without a complaint – heck, you did some of Ma’s work because you were worried for her health. If you weren’t the woman for Kris, Tao wouldn’t know who would be the woman for him; you were so perfect for Kris.

 Tao shrugged, “I’m not too sure, maiden. But I’m sure the king and queen will come to love you.”

You sighed, “I don’t know… I don’t think the king and queen would approve.”

Tao frowned, noticing that tinge of sadness in your voice, “Is there something wrong, maiden?”

You shook your head a little, “I’m not too sure if I even know what’s wrong.” You looked at Tao this time, “I don’t want to lose everything I have – with Kris, my job here… I’m scared.”

Tao stopped walking the moment you two reached the dining hall, he gave you a pat on the shoulder, “I’m sure things will go the way it should be. Don’t beat yourself up on something that hasn’t happened yet.”

You gave him a grateful smile, “Thank you, Tao…”

He turned you by your shoulders where you faced the large doors, “Good luck.” Those two words echoed into your ears as you stood there, wanting to open the door but you couldn’t when the doors were already partly opened. You knew this was wrong but you peeked through the gap only to gasp at the sight of Kris, standing before the king and queen – his parents who looked down on him from the two thrones at the end of the room that were facing the door.

“Father, mother, never have I ever requested for something before – this is the only thing I’m asking for!”

The king had let this stern look take over his face, looking down on Kris, “I believe you should be aware of the castle rules! Are you telling me she’s been breaking them just to be with you?!”

Kris raked a hand through his hair, shaking his head, “She has not been breaking any rules! I was the one who came to love her! I started everything!”

The queen sighed, shaking her head, “Can we please talk nicely? We’re in the castle, for God’s sake.”

The king shook his head in frustration, standing up where he looked down on Kris further, “My son, you should be aware of the ground rules! What if now there are other love affairs happening in the castle? What if the other maidens and knights feel that it’s alright to love each other just because the prince does it? How would the others feel? It’s simply not fair!”

Kris took a step back with a scoff, “You out of all people should not be telling me that when you-!“

“Enough!” The queen’s voice echoed in the room, causing the two men to stop bickering when she met gazes with yours through the gap of the doors. You winced, blinking at her but all she ever did was point to the door with a hand, “You two see what you’re causing? You’re scaring her way before she even came in.”

You bowed politely, taking a step back with your body trembling, “I-I apologize for eavesdropping but, I-“

“Come in, dear.” Her voice soothed into your ears but you couldn’t hear anything at the moment.

Tao was standing behind you through it all that his hands placed on your shoulders, pushing you in that caused the two doors to open on its own. Kris’s eyes locked on your figure as he could see how beautiful you looked – you looked incredible. This dress on you did justice, emphasizing on your beauty that you looked nowhere near a maiden – you looked like a princess that popped out from the fairy tales. You gulped and walked properly without Tao’s hands on your shoulders. You managed to take a few steps closer, but still so far away from all three of the royals before you.

“Thank you, Tao – you may leave.” The queen’s voice spoke up, causing you to look at Tao as he gave a smirk, bowing a little with a nod before he turned around to walk out of the room, closing the doors tight.

“My dear, please introduce yourself.”

Her voice made your head snap back to the front where you blinked at her warm gaze at you – in contrast with how the king was looking at you. Immediately you bowed with your hands lifting your dress up to bow properly. You managed to say your name properly, informing your family name, the name of your father and mother before you stood back up straight again.

However this time, the king’s look on his face had changed – it softened as he looked at you.

You gulped, feeling uncomfortable as you stood there.

The king stood up, causing Kris to gasp when the king stepped down from the throne, making his way towards you. You held in your breath, staring ahead of you as suddenly the king was so close. He looked down on you with this unreadable expression he had on his face.

It made you question what was going on when the king had repeated your father’s name in a hushed voice before asking, “Is he really your father?”

With a small nod, you managed to answer back, “Y-Yes, sir.”

The king leaned back, his eyes looked as if he was processing something into his mind before he turned around. He locked eyes with Kris, before shifting it to the queen who had the same look – was there something you were missing out on?

“Let’s eat.” The king muttered quietly, making his way back to the throne with Kris coming towards you where he held onto your hand, giving you a tight squeeze, “What did he say?”

You shook your head, “N-Nothing. He just wanted to confirm my father’s name…”

Kris sighed, using his other hand to tuck strands of your hair behind your ear, “Don’t worry. I’m here.”

You frowned, “I… I don’t think I should be here, Kris…”

He held you close with just by your hand, “You should be here – you are the woman I love. You have every right to be here.”

“But Kris-“

“No more, mei li. My father already announced that we should eat – so let’s just eat and see what happens during dinner…”

You swallowed the lump in your throat, shaking your head again, you were so stubborn. “I don’t want anything to happen because of me.”

He heaved a sigh, his hands reaching up to frame your cheeks, “I’m here, mei li. I’ll make sure things will be fine. You trust me, remember?”

You nodded, “I remember.”

“Then come.” Kris managed to give you a small smile of assurance as you took the seat beside the queen while Kris sat opposite you, beside his father. The meal was quiet, everyone was eating well except for you because… you didn’t know exactly how to eat these type of foods. They were the luxurious type, the kind that only the royals ate. A simple meal of bread with soup would be enough but this, this was all to a whole new level for you. The roasted chicken, the shrimps on the table with ice in the middle, the pot of soup that was served directly from the cook, glasses of wine on the side of the table, the golden tray of exotic fruits – this was just crazy!

And then it all came down to how silent it was as all eyes were on you – even Kris’s when the king had apparently asked you a question. You swallowed and remained stagnant, “P-Pardon?”

The queen could only smile at you – you reminded her of herself. “The king asked about your family, my dear.”

You gulped and looked at Kris helplessly where he gave you a nod – he wanted you to be honest.

You looked back to the king and queen after exhaling quietly, eyes locked on them.

“M-My father and mother died during the war. I don’t have any siblings.”

You pressed your lips into a thin line when you could’ve sworn if a pin drop in here, you could hear it. You saw how the queen’s lips gaped as she turned to look at the king. You saw how Kris didn’t know what his parents’ reaction meant – what was going on?

It felt like you didn’t belong – as if you were out of place just because you didn’t have a proper family.

And it was so pressuring that you felt like your heart couldn’t take if no words were said.

But thank God the king managed to ask, “H-How did your father…?”

“That’s an inappropriate question, father.” Kris defended you, not wanting to see any tears.

The king was still persistent, “I am asking her – not you.”

Kris hissed, putting his cutleries down with a slight glare, “But I’m telling you it’s not something you should ask on a first meeting!”

The queen sighed, “Please, stop arguing! Not in front of her!”

The king was this close to glaring at Kris as well, “All I’m asking is a simple question! If she doesn’t want to answer it, she could’ve just said so!”

Kris stood up with an evident glare this time, “But you were the one that made the rules of ‘no one should defy or question the king’ – are you trying to tell me that you’re switching the rules now however you want?”

The queen could only sigh as she shook her head, her eyes glancing at you who suddenly got up with a few bows, “I-I’m so sorry.” You muttered quietly, hands lifting up your dress where you hurriedly walked towards the doors. Kris gasped at you leaving – this wasn’t supposed to happen! The king was also shocked, finally receiving that silent message you were delivering – you meant no harm. You didn’t want anything to happen and really, you didn’t. Your heart was so pure that just by the way you were running towards the door, made it clear to the queen of what kind of a person you really are – it related to her so much.

“Mei li!” Kris shouted, attempting to go after you but the queen was the one who got down from the throne, halting Kris with just her voice, “The two of you stop! You see what you have done? Why can’t the two of you talk things out nicely for once? I’m going after her – the two of you stay here and talk to each other nicely and maybe remind yourselves why we are called ‘family’ in the first place. You two have done enough.”

And with the slamming of the door, and the leaving of both you and the queen, the king and Kris could only agree.

It’s about time they talked nicely.

 


 

You didn’t know where to go, you had no clue as you stepped out of the dining hall. You got stares from the other maidens walking by the hall – they were shocked to see you coming out from there but at the same time, they didn’t know what was going on. You had paced out to the garden again – a place that you could finally think as you sat down behind a familiar tree after walking in the dark.

You fell to the ground, leaning your back against the tree where you held your knees up with your face leaning on your kneecaps to hide the quiet whimpers – you wanted everything to disappear. And you felt so sorry for causing a ruckus just because you weren’t prepared to answer a simple question.

It felt like you couldn’t go back to Ma just yet – she was too far away…

“M-My dear?” A voice spoke up, making you flinch as you lifted your chin to lock gazes with the queen.

What was she doing here?

You tried to get up, needing to greet her properly but she simply sat down beside you, reaching for your hand as she held onto it tight – her motherly senses kicked in, having this urge to protect you like how Kris would whenever he was around you.

Now you could see where Kris got his loving side from – where this aura came from.

“Q-Queen…” You managed to whisper, shaking your head at her as you wanted to get up to bow at her but she held you down with just a smile and a word, “Stay.”

You felt immobilized, remaining still where you looked at her worriedly. The small press her thumb gave at the back of your hand had assured you she meant nothing but kindness as she smiled at you. “Please forgive my husband – he’s… he’s just really worried for Kris.”

You gave a nod, “I understand…”

She frowned at you, “Why did you run out like that, my dear?”

You bit on your tongue, blinking at her nervously whereas she could only chuckle, patting your hand with her other hand, “Don’t be scared – I don’t bite.”

You gave her a smile, one in which, was enough to see how you weren’t like the other women that had tried to steal Kris’s heart. She could see you were genuine – you were the diamond in the rough.

“I didn’t want any arguments to happen because of me. I was afraid that…-”

“We wouldn’t accept you?”

“-that you wouldn’t-oh?” You were a bit surprised on how she finished your sentence. Then again, she wouldn’t be called ‘queen’ for nothing. You nodded once with a small smile, “Y-Yeah… Because he’s a prince and…. I’m nowhere near that.” You shook your head with a sigh, “I-I’m sorry. I know I must look very pathetic-“

“You remind me of myself.”

“-and I understand if you don’t-… what?”

She laughed quietly, nodding at you, “I wasn’t exactly entitled to be queen if it wasn’t for the king’s love to me. I was nowhere near his status as king – I was not part of the royal’s by blood.”

You shook your head, “T-That’s different. You’re… you are… you’re…-“

She moved her hands to your shoulders, “I was just like you.”

 


 

“Her father was a friend of mine.” The king spoke up, causing Kris to look back at his father with parted lips – this was something new, something unexpected. The king laughed quietly, shaking his head as the two of them were sitting by the floor beside the throne – they were sitting on the steps of the stairs up the throne. Kris looked up to his father with a small frown this time, “What happened?”

“He had saved my life, once – without knowing I was who I was. I swore that I will repay for his good deeds but he didn’t ask for anything, he only asked for friendship.”

Kris saw how sad his father looked, he never knew his father had this side within him.

“I should’ve brought him back to the castle.”

Kris sighed, still looking at his father, “I’m sorry, father.”

The older man in the room could only laugh, “I hate to say it but, I think owe both you and her an apology.”

Kris scoffed, “You think?”

“Don’t push it, young man.”

Kris managed to smile, offering a hand to his father. The moment his father reached to shake his son’s hand, Kris lunged forward, stepping up a step on the stairs to hug his father. Regardless whether he’s a king or not – he is still Kris’s father.

“Does this mean you approve of us?” Kris asked quietly, his arms still hugging his old man.

The king could only smile, “Ask your mother.”

Kris snorted, “I thought so.”

 


 

“Trust me on this, my dear. It’ll be fine.” The queen walked with you back to the dining hall, causing you to nod as you followed her steps. “Y-Yes, ma’am…”

Your breath hitched when the doors opened as the guards opened the doors for the queen to enter, with her hand holding onto yours as she pulled you in with her. It didn’t take long for Kris to get on his feet, where he wanted to come to you but since you were right behind his mother, he didn’t have a chance to do so.

His mother became stern this time, an eyebrow cocked where she looked at both Kris and the king who stood side by side on the same level as you and the queen.

“So…?” Kris’s mother asked quietly, causing Kris to grin as he looked at his mother, “He told me to ask you.”

You were slightly confused – who ask who now?

Kris’s mother glanced over her shoulder, giving you a smile before she faced forward as she pulled you to her side, where you could face Kris completely, “I guess the two of you better be prepared to announce to the whole kingdom.”

Kris’s eyes brightened, his smile evident as he looked to his father for confirmation, “W-What?”

The king smiled, giving a nod, “I’m with your mother on this.”

The queen shook her head this time, too, “But not too fast – let her settle down in the castle first. We’ll have a room for her-“

Your soft ‘uh’ had echoed in the room, catching the attention of the queen who stopped midway to look at you, “Yes, my dear?”

You gulped, but you knew you had to say what you wanted to say. Being with Kris is so much you could ask for already – and they wanted you to have a room in the castle? A… proper room? That would be too much for you to take. You had your promise to Ma, as well.

“W-With all due respect, ma’am, I… I’m perfectly fine with staying in the room I’m staying at now.”

The queen frowned, “But…”

You smiled and gave a nod, “I’m also keeping my job as a maid…”

Kris could see how serious you were in your eyes – and he had to agree with you.

“M-Mother, I agree with her on this. Just as long as I get to steal her anytime I want during her working hours.”

Her mother snorted, earning a quiet ‘that’s my boy’ from the king.

You gasped, “K-Kris! That’s breaking the rules…”

Kris smirked, wiggling his finger at you, “You have to listen to me.”

The queen walked towards Kris, pulling his ear, “And you have to listen to me.”

The king could only laugh, along with you as you snorted at Kris, “M-Mother! Not in front of her!”

And it was in that moment when the three of them could look at you laugh happily, the way your eyes curved up into crescents as you laughed heartily – how can they ever say no to a person like you? A person who still chooses to work as a maid despite already having confirmation from the king and queen that she is allowed to be with their son. Their son, the prince who will take over the throne as king soon. A person who is not in love with their son for the richness he possessed – a woman so pure… how?

The king walked around the queen and Kris, standing in front of you where he patted your shoulder. “I’m sorry for how I acted earlier, dear. Welcome… welcome to the family.”

You grinned at him, he somehow reminded you of your father. You gave him a faint nod before you went to hug him – you felt like it was the right thing to do, “Thank you.”

The look on the king’s face was priceless – it was as if he’s never gotten a hug before.

He could only look down on you hugging him tight – despite the fact that you knew your ground, you were also a person who just misses her father dearly. He looked over his shoulder to his wife who gave him a nod and a smile with Kris hugging his mother this time – you were already part of the family as Kris’s father returned the hug.

“You’re welcome.”