Yes or No?

The Ordinary Life

While Jiyong does not say anything to Ha Eun, she could not, and would not do anything. That was what she had shared with Hye Jin and Youngbae – her two closest friends. While they had known Ha Eun at different points in her life, the trio hung out together naturally now. Youngbae always joked that he now had a new noona although Hye Jin was the same age as Ha Eun. She was just a little more mature and curt that Youngbae felt he was more of the younger brother.

Having moved out of Seunghyun’s apartment and into her company-provided one, Ha Eun had not seen the other Big Bang members for a while now, with Youngbae being the exception. She had a nagging suspicion that he was spending his entire free time meeting Ha Eun as long as their schedules matched.

For a change tonight, she was going to be meeting new people. Ha Eun was humming excitedly as she dressed to hit the clubs with Hye Jin. It was Jun Seo’s birthday and his friends had invited them to the surprise party in Hongdae. She recalled Jun Seo nagging that she wasn’t going to find a boyfriend if all she was doing was meeting Big Bang and not meeting new people. Her comeback to him was that Jun Seo was going to be left on the shelf too since he was babysitting the stars all the time and YG had a no-dating policy for their employees within the company. She was going to show Jun Seo tonight how she really rolled when she hit the clubs with her good friends.

 The girls found the party easily and while it was their first time meeting Jun Seo’s friends, maybe it was their stint in New York, but the two girls were mingling naturally with this new group. That plus the fact they were already talking over the phone to organize the party.

The party went full-swing once Jun Seo arrived. Behaving like the mischievous oppa, he teased Ha Eun for trying to dress like a woman. He was more used to her tom-boyish get-up that she was always in while unemployed.  Just like any typical Seoul night-out, the party wasn’t going to end in the club. The core group moved out to the street for a quick snack outside the convenience store before they moved on to the norebang.

The boisterous group was cheering just as Ha Eun took to the front of the room to sing G-Dragon’s Crooked, a norebang-favourite among the guys. Hye Jin had suspected there were more people joining the party when they were told that there was already a prior booking made for the VIP room which could easily fit another 10 people. Her sharp senses were proven right when the door swung open just when the MV started playing on the screen and Seungri made a dramatic entrance.

The intoxicated Ha Eun was jumping up and down excitedly as she started singing with great gusto. The real singer gladly accepted a mic that was offered to him and joined Ha Eun in her high-energy performance. All members of Big Bang high-fived with the birthday boy.

“Ha Eun! Come, come, come,” Jun Seo shouted and dragged her over to the seat. “Meet Shin Yong. Shin Yong, meet Ha Eun.”

Ha Eun shrugged off the drunk Jun Seo’s arm and cocked a brow at her new acquaintance. “We know each other already,” she said as she tried to help Jun Seo to a seat. “You should slow it down a little or we’ll leave you on the streets!”

“No, no, no… It’s my birthday wish to find you a good man. Shin Yong! He’s a black belt and works in a good company. He was top in class when we were in school and even now, he got promoted twice in three years!” Jun Seo recites earnestly.

Shin Yong smiled embarrassedly, “We might really have to leave him on the streets.” Ha Eun shook her head at her drunken friend and knocked him back on to his seat. “And to think we even planned this birthday party for him,” she tsked.

“What? Shin Yong, say something! Isn’t our Ha Eun pretty? Is she not good enough for you?!”

The shouting had gotten everyone’s attention and more guys were coming forward to control the drunken birthday boy. “It’s your birthday, so leave the match-making to another day.”

Ha Eun got a small shock when she felt her jacket thrown over her shoulders. She looked up at the man beside her whose deep voice had quieted Jun Seo. “She just got well, she should rest soon. Enjoy the rest of the party and make sure you hull your to work tomorrow.”

Ha Eun obediently followed behind Seunghyun as he turned and left the room. Shin Yong patted Jun Seo’s shoulder and smiled. “She doesn’t need your help – she already has someone looking out for her. So stop being the over-protective oppa, ok?”

 

 

“I didn’t know you drive,” Ha Eun said as she followed Seunghyun to the parking lot. “Everyone says you don’t know how to.”

“The media says I don’t know how to,” Seunghyun corrected her. “And that’s ok, because that means they’ll never be on the lookout for me on the roads. Get in, I’ll send you home.”

Ha Eun hopped in and looked around his car curiously. There was nothing in it – it could have passed off as a rental car. He pulled out slowly and Ha Eun leaned her head against the cold, dark-tinted window. “Can we get coffee?”

At the Hangang, Ha Eun chose to wait outside the car as Seunghyun bought drinks from the nearby vending machine. She pulled her jacket tighter around herself against the cool night breeze. “If you’re cold, stay in the car,” Seunghyun said as he handed a warm can of coffee to her.

“It’s sobering,” Ha Eun said simply as she rolled the can between her palms. “It’s better this way than to wake up with a hangover tomorrow morning.” Seunghyun took the can from her again when she struggled to open it.

“And it’s better if Jun Seo doesn’t get so worked up about your matchmaking.” Seunghyun said as he returned the opened can to her. “Ji may not like it.”

Ha Eun stared at the river silently.

“Ji Oppa can think what he likes,” Ja Eun said finally. “He’s not my father. But I’ll still talk to Jun Seo.”

“Don’t sour your friendship with Jun Seo – he’s also just looking out for you. Since you said it doesn’t matter what Ji thinks, humor Jun Seo a bit and then tell him no,” Seunghyun said as he chugged down the rest of his coffee.

“Oh, really?” Ha Eun sniffed self-consciously.  “And here I was thinking that someone else didn’t like the matchmaking other than Ji Oppa.” Seunghyun turned to her in surprise, smiling when he saw that she wasn’t quite meeting his eyes. “I’ll talk to Jun Seo Oppa because I don’t want him to meddle in this anymore.”

She felt her breath being squeezed out of her as Seunghyun pulled her close. “Remember to be nice when you speak to him. He means well.”

Seunghyun looked down at her, before rubbing Ha Eun’s cold and pink nose playfully. Her breath came out in small little puffs of mist and Seunghyun patted her back lightly. “It’s really time to go home now.”