In a New Light

The Ordinary Life

Ha Eun smiled her thanks once again before she ended her Skype interview. She had gotten the job thanks to the great referrals her former boss in New York had made. While Ha Eun had wanted to take her time, headhunters had been bombarding her email and since her bad ankle had kept her indoors, she had taken it to be a sign to do something about her employment status.

The doorbell rang, indicating the arrival of her guest. Youngbae smiled to see his friend in a great mood and was equally happy to hear her good news.

“Thanks for telling me everything – I went to see her today and Jiyongie too,” Youngbae said as he plopped down on her couch. Ha Eun’s mother had also called the very moment Youngbae had left their family house, letting Ha Eun know that she had done the right thing to tell him. “But you still don’t want to tell Ji.”

“I can’t tell him that unnie was still clutching on to memories of him.”

“What are you trying to protect? Your unnie’s pride? Or his heart?”

Ha Eun kept her silence as she stared thoughtfully out the window. “I just want to preserve his memories of her.”

Youngbae sighed and scooted a little closer to her. “You can’t keep lying to hide the truth. She is dead and while I understand why you want to maintain her image, I can’t help thinking that it’s really more for Ji that you’re thinking of. In the first place, what makes you think that it’ll affect him the way it did to me?”

Ha Eun glared back. “Don’t discount Ji oppa’s feelings for unnie just because you grew up with him and think that you know him.”

“It’s not his feelings for her that I’m discounting. It’s your feelings! While you’re thinking about Ji, think about the one next to you who has already opened his door-“

“I don’t know what you’re talking about –“

“Don’t pretend to be blind. If you’re just lonely and need someone, I can be there for you. But don’t lead on hyung if you can’t reciprocate. Because he can’t just stay as a friend, you know that,” Youngbae huffed, heart pounding now that he had said his piece.

“Bae Oppa, I never meant to see any of you again. When it happened, out of the blue, I tried to run but you stopped me. And I saw no other choice but to lie. Having seen how sad you were when I told you the truth, I can’t imagine how Ji Oppa will take it. You really think he’s that heartless?” Ha Eun stood up and went to stand by her kitchen sink. Her anger and agitation was making her feel really warm and suffocated. “I’m back in Seoul now but I can disappear again. Right from the start, we belong in different worlds.”

“What about hyung?” Her phone that was left on the coffee table started buzzing. “Look, it’s hyung. You really want to play dumb?”

Ha Eun spun around and snatched her phone away.

“It’s only been a month since I saw all of you again. Give me time.” Ha Eun breathed as she rejected the call and turned back to Youngbae.

Youngbae sighed and approached Ha Eun carefully. As he placed his hand on her head gently, he said, “I’ve seen you as a little sister since Day 1. That hasn’t changed, whether you like it or not. So as your oppa, I don’t want to see my little sister suffering too. I’ll be coming by more often.”

“Don’t come back,” Ha Eun said stubbornly but the fight was no longer in her voice. Youngbae grinned and turned to go.

“I’ll be back so be good. Don’t make me call your mother to complain.”

 

 

 

Jiyong was not really looking forward to the night out since he was really tired. But he had to maintain appearances – he could sulk the whole night and people will still say that it was a charming attitude. The dim lights and loud music was the last thing he wanted after a long day of working on new songs.

“Hyung~! Over here!!” Seungri waved and Jiyong was surprised to see even Seunghyun at the booth. The maknae must have moved mountains to get him here.

“Is it someone’s birthday? Even Seunghyun hyung is here!” Ji grinned as he clinked glasses with his friend. Since all 5 were present, he could stick to his mates and not bother about networking.

“I found out Ha Eun noona is here tonight too so I rang Youngbae hyung and Seunghyun hyung. I already said Hi and noona will come back later,” Seungri half-shouted. He was clearly in a good mood and Daesung was quick to point out that Seungri alone had finished half a bottle of liquor on his own.

“It was more than a ‘Hi!’, you kissed her on her cheek!” Daesung teased while Seungri grinned smugly. Jiyong craned his neck a little to see where Ha Eun.

“Looking for me?” A light touch on his shoulder drew Jiyong’s attention and he looked down to see a familiar face. It was just Chaerin. Even before he could return a greeting, a small cheer informed him that Ha Eun had returned. She gladly took the glass of drink from Seunghyun and was talking to Youngbae.

Jiyong noticed that she was dressed differently – didn’t seem like she was bartending that night. Dressed in a black jumpsuit with a low-cut back, her hair cascaded down in waves and her gold accessories caught the lights easily. Her make-up was meticulously done and for a minute, Jiyong could hardly recognize her.

“You’ve scrubbed up well,” Jiyong said as he reached Ha Eun’s side. She smiled and did a little twirl. “It’s still work for me tonight. I didn’t think I’ll see Seungri here tonight and for him to have the whole group here too.”

Jiyong looked over her shoulder to see her new colleagues and the clients she had brought out tonight. He recognized a few of them in the group.

“Isn’t that lady from CHANEL and that guy… From Saint Laurent?” Jiyong squinted to have a better look. Ha Eun nodded as she finished her drink and set the empty glass on the table. Already, the 2 groups were merging with catch-ups by Jiyong and introductions by Ha Eun.

The Ha Eun he had left in his youth was now all grown and holding her own – no longer hiding in her sister’s shadow. Jiyong could finally recognize the young woman she had grown to be and while she displayed a certain professional coolness, he liked how her friendly quirky behaviors still came up when she was with them.

Even now, she was whining at something Seunghyun had said and Jiyong could tell she was throwing some kind of lame threat, judging from Seunghyun’s amused reaction.

“Ji Eun must have been sad to see her little sister grow up so fast,” Jiyong whispered to Ha Eun’s ear. She turned to him and smiled awkwardly. It tickled him to see the cool Ha Eun crumble into the bumbling shy Ha Eun he knew. “You’re putting on a good show of being a social butterfly though.”

“I’m just doing what I used to do in New York - it’s pretty much similar to what you do on stage and in front of cameras, no?” Ha Eun tucked her hair behind her ear and it might have been all the booze but Jiyong was starting to notice things about Ha Eun which he had not before. Like her collar bones.

“Hyung, where are you looking?” Seungri drawled teasingly and Jiyong was on the verge of hammering his head if Ha Eun had not dragged Seungri away to get more drinks.

“It’s not just Seungri, I know that look too,” Youngbae said as he refilled his friend’s drink. “Don’t do anything stupid just because you’re under the influence of alcohol.”

“Ji Eun is already married and having a good life. But that doesn’t mean Ha Eun and I can’t start something now,” Jiyong said but gulped when he saw the look Youngbae gave him. “I’m just saying. It’s a big IF.”

“She only sees you as the Jiyong Oppa from when we were younger,” Youngbae said. Jiyong grinned his innocent puppy dog smile, indicating that he was done with the conversation.