Protector

The Ordinary Life

Seunghyun smiled to see the name flashing on his phone. He had expected a text but couldn’t deny his happiness at seeing the call.

“I can’t meet today.” Ha Eun said simply as she continued working on her proposal. Seunghyun could hear the relentless click of her key board and could only imagine her with the phone tucked tightly between her ear and her shoulder.

“Can’t you stop work while calling me?” Seunghyun joked. He caught the curious looks from Seungri and decided to duck out of the studio. Trust the maknae to catch him while Jiyong and Youngbae were still oblivious.

 “The client called just two hours ago but claims that they wanted the proposal yesterday. That’s the kind of people I’m trying to please so no, I can’t stop working,” Ha Eun sighed as she tapped [Enter] a little too hard. “Going back to your text, I can’t meet tonight. I have to meet said client to walk them through the proposal tonight.”

“Such a shame since the boys were betting that you’ll definitely come,” Seunghyun said, kicking at nothing on the ground. Ha Eun grinned silently as she thought about what she was about to say next. “So you were just playing messenger for the boys? Did you bet on me going?”

“Yup, all in since I thought you won’t say no to me,” Seunghyun grinned back, enjoying her teasing.

“You must not be very used to having girls reject you, so it’ll do your skin some good,” Ha Eun laughed, standing up for a short break and stretching in front of her desk. “Call me if you all decide to go for Round 2. Depending on how you ask, I will consider it again.”

Entering the studio again, Seunghyun answered Youngbae’s questioning look with a small smile. Seungri was quick to pick on it but chose to keep quiet for the moment.  “What’s going on?” Jiyong asked, having caught the small nod that Youngbae gave Seunghyun.

“Nothing,” Youngbae said deliberately as he got to his feet and stretched. “Isn’t it time to go? We always keep Daesung waiting. That boy will lose his temper at us one day.”

As they filed out, Jiyong pulled his phone out. “Annyeong Ha Eunie, where are you? Come out to eat.”

Youngbae saluted Seunghyun in his mind as he observed how composed the older man was. Seungri had cocked his brow at Youngbae, recognizing the flirty smile on Jiyong’s face, even if none of that could be detected in his voice.

As they exited the building, Jiyong rejected taking Seungri in his car. “I’m going somewhere first so go to the restaurant yourselves. I’ll meet you there.”

“Jiyong hyung is going out with Ha Eun noona?” Seungri asked as they piled into the chauffeured car. Even before they were settled, Jiyong’s white Lamborghini had pulled out with a guttural purr.

“Nah, I would be the first to know if that was the case,” Youngbae said confidently as he patted Seunghyun’s back. “Jiyong has his charisma but Ha Eun is not easily influenced by that anymore.”

“Well, let’s go quickly before Daesung starts nagging,” Seunghyun smiled at his younger members and turned to look out the window.  He knew that Youngbae had been observing them very closely – but only because he had already been watching Ha Eun. Any guy who came to close proximity with Ha Eun was easily caught on Youngbae’s radar. And while Jiyong always rushed straight-on, focused on his goal, Seunghyun’s slightly more cautious nature had picked up easily on the potential rival.

While he wanted very much to believe in Youngbae’s words, Seunghyun had also seen how close they had been. Even now, Seunghyun knew that whatever Jiyong wanted, Jiyong would get. No one could say no to the Gold & Diamonds boy.

 Having decided not to wait for Ji, the four members were well into their barbecue dinner when they were startled by a slight commotion at the entrance of their private booth.

Ha Eun half-stumbled into the booth as Jiyong pushed her through the entrance to avoid the curious patrons sitting outside in the main dining hall. “Be careful,” Jiyong said simply as he caught her by her wrist and Ha Eun regained her balance.

“It’s your fault for hurrying me. I’m in heels! It’s hard to keep up with your pace,” Ha Eun nagged as she took off her blazer and threw it at Seungri, compensating her actions with a light pinch to the maknae’s cheek. That was all it took for Seungri to obediently hang up her blazer.

“Meeting went well?” Seunghyun asked as Ha Eun took the seat beside him while Jiyong sat across from her, beside Youngbae.  “Hyung, how did you know she was at a meeting?” Jiyong asked.

Somehow, his question was ignored as Ha Eun noisily got her cutleries and poured beer for herself. “Fastest presentation thanks to the weird man calling my mobile every 3 minutes. I didn’t believe him when he said he’ll do that, but I realized after a while that Ji Oppa was really calling at 3 minute intervals! You’re scary,” Ha Eun huffed. While they had been talking, Seunghyun had silently worked on a lettuce wrap, finishing just as Ha Eun ended her tirade.

“Stop nagging and eat,” Seunghyun said as he turned to offer it to her.  Ha Eun swooped down on it just after a slight hesitation. “Our Ha Eunie eats well after a long day at work,” Youngbae chimed. While Daesung remained unmoved, Seungri watched with curious glee while Jiyong was trying hard to hide his surprise.

His questioning eyes met Ha Eun’s who pretended to be focused on chewing. Flustered, Ha Eun waved her hand to get everyone’s attention again. “I’m moving again next week.”

“Why are you moving?” Seunghyun asked, clearly taken aback and set his glass down on the table.

“My company is providing me with an apartment nearer to the office. It’s more convenient for me,” Ha Eun said. “And you refused to let me pay for the rent myself so of course I’ll move.”

“You were paying her rent?!” Seungri burst out and Jiyong immediately smacked his head to get him to sit. Ha Eun laughed at their antics and relaxed back into her seat.

“See! People will misunderstand if I don’t pay my own rent,” Ha Eun smiled. “But you really helped me back then,” she breathed as memories of that night went through her mind. “Thanks for letting me stay in that lovely apartment for the past few weeks.”

Seunghyun nodded silently and turned back to his food – clearly not happy with the new arrangements. Ha Eun leaned her head on his shoulder while poking his cheek. “Don’t be angry, you’re still going to visit me right?” Appealing with her blinking eyes, Seunghyun gave in and a smile broke across his face.

“Aahhhh, you’ve even learnt to aegyo,” Jiyong drawled while looking at the pair. Clueless, Ha Eun leaned forward to give Jiyong her best aegyo expression too, causing an impromptu aegyo contest to start amongst her and the 2 maknaes.

As they were leaving, Ha Eun realized that she had left her blazer behind. Knowing they shouldn’t be seen hanging around outside so openly, the guys agreed to wait for her in the car. “I can wait for her so go ahead,” Jiyong said as he leaned casually against his car and lit a cigarette.

“Hyung! Noona…” Seungri yelped from inside the car, shaken by what he was seeing from the car window.

 

 

 

“Ha Eun, come with me!”

She froze at that dreaded voice. She could see the guys clearly, still waiting for her by their cars as they had promised. Her mind was a blank – no idea how to react.

“Come with me, I said!” Park Min Joon had closed the distance between them and caught hold of her arms. “Don’t think that just because your sister is dead you can escape me! Your sister landed me in this sorry state, so you can pay on her behalf.”

“Stop it, we’re right in front of a restaurant. You’re becoming very daring!” Ha Eun tried to free herself but she wasn’t the most agile in her heels. Her struggles were futile as her ex brother-in-law dragged her towards the side of the building and away from the main entrance.

Min Joon slammed her against the wall and allowed her only a second to recover from the harsh jolt. “Where’s your bag?” He snatched it from her and emptied out all the contents on the ground. He found her wallet easily but was infuriated at the small amount of cash she had.

“You got yourself a new job, wearing such nice clothes and this is the only cash you have with you? Hand over your watch and jewellery!” He grabbed her by the collar and shook her hard. Ha Eun was dizzy from the earlier blow and felt her head spinning as Min Joon continued his abuse.

As he stripped the watch off her wrist and yanked the necklace off her neck, Min Joon was startled by the sound of footsteps rushing towards them in the alley.

“Yah! What are you doing!” Min Joon turned to see Jiyong rushing towards him with Seunghyun and Youngbae close behind him.

“Jiyong, wait! He has a knife!” Youngbae shouted as he tried to pull his friend back. Seunghyun was swiftly making his way towards Ha Eun but she saw Jiyong’s blind rage driving him towards her assailant, deaf to his friend’s warning.

“Ji Oppa!” Ha Eun rasped as she pushed herself off the wall and threw herself onto Min Joon and brought both of them to the ground.