Misunderstanding

The Ordinary Life

 Jiyong looked up at the sound of the door sliding open. He stood up immediately as a familiar woman walked in with a young boy in her arms.

“Hello Mrs. Song, it’s been a long while,” Jiyong bowed and the other members did the same. The older woman smiled sadly. “It’s been a long while and I’m sorry we’re meeting like this. Thank you for staying with Ha Eun.”

Youngbae reached her side and offered his arms to the young boy who smiled and readily went with him. “Call Samchon,” Mrs. Song told her grandson who was now intently studying Youngbae’s stubble.

“This must be Jiyongie…” Jiyong breathed as he patted the young boy’s head. He could see the resemblance and his eyes started to sting with hot tears. Youngbae had told him the whole truth and Jiyong’s mind was a confused whir.

“That man has caused me a lot of pain and I’m just thankful that Ha Eun wasn’t alone when this happened.” Mrs. Song took the seat that Jiyong had vacated. “Maybe her sister was watching over her, making sure that our Ha Eun will be surrounded by people who will help her.”

Jiyong pulled his beanie over his eyes, desperately trying to hide the tears that were now flowing freely. He slinked away to the window and his quiet sobs were all that filled the room.

“The doctor said it’s a mild concussion and she should wake up soon,” Seunghyun said. “I’m sorry we were not able to catch that man but this was reported to the police and they will surely apprehend him soon. Don’t worry too much please, Mrs. Song.”

She sighed tiredly and her daughter’s head softly. “Jiyong ah.” He sniffed and tried to compose himself, “neh.”

“Don’t cry please and don’t blame Ha Eun for lying. I told Youngbae the same thing too when he came to visit me,” Mrs. Song said. “She was shocked when you all met again, and she told me that she had hid the truth about Ji Eun because she didn’t want you to pity Ji Eun. But the dead will never come back, no matter how hard the living tries to preserve their pride and memory.”

“I’m so sorry,” Jiyong burst into loud tears, surprising even Youngbae and Seunghyun. It was obvious that he was being overwhelmed by his own emotions. “You may think me conceited for thinking this way but I truly regret that I wasn’t able to protect Ji Eun. But I promise to treasure Ha Eun now that she has returned to us. I will not let her suffer nor experience anything less than happiness.”

Youngbae felt a chill run down his spine, afraid to guess what misunderstanding had formed in his friend’s mind and even Seunghyun was staring with mouth agape at Jiyong. Mrs. Song simply nodded and Jiyong’s back, trying her best to calm the agitated crying star.

 

 

 

 

Ha Eun opened her eyes slowly and was greeted by the soft sunlight filtering through the curtains. She saw a familiar looking handbag on the chair next to her bed but no one was in the room. Just as she was about to try to sit up, the door swung open and an audible gasp was heard.

“Don’t move Ha Eun, your head might still spin for a little bit.” It was Hye Jin, her best friend who had attended college with her and was now also her colleague. “You’ve slept for almost a full day but other than the bump at the back of your head, there’s nothing wrong with you. Your mum came last night but she’s resting at the hotel now with Jiyong-ie. I also met your childhood crush, the legendary G Dragon last night. He was in shambles and crying and had to be dragged home by Top and Taeyang.”

Although her head still hurt, Ha Eun was happy that Hye Jin had come. It was just funny to hear Hye Jin call the guys by their stage names even though Ha Eun always used their real names in conversations. “Right, there was another guy called Jun Seo who came this morning. Seems to know both you and Big Bang very well. He dropped off these health drinks and also told me to call him once we know if you can be discharged today. Said he’ll drive.”

“He’s my old neighbor but also the first new friend I made when I came back to Seoul. Turned out he’s one of the staff in YG who looks after Big Bang. Maybe he heard about the accident from the boys,” Ha Eun said as she finally found a comfortable sitting position. She smiled her thanks as Hye Jin fed her some water. “You said Jiyong was in shambles?”

Hye Jin stared down at her friend with an exasperated look. “Pabo, I already said it was a bad idea to lie and you should have just told him. With that mad man attacking you last night, someone had to tell GD the truth and maybe he couldn’t handle Ji Eun unnie’s news as well as your attack very well. Your omma was his back while he cried into her shoulder when I arrived. It really wasn’t a sight to show the world.”

The day went by quietly with the doctor allowing Ha Eun to discharge and as promised, Jun Seo came to pick her up. “Seunghyun-sshi is at a press conference now but allowed me to take this car out to pick you up. He said to rest well today and he’ll visit you tomorrow.” Jun Seo said.

Ha Eun felt guilty to see her mother waiting for her at home, with concern etched into her face. But they didn’t talk about the incident, just wanting to enjoy this rare reunion that had been brought on by an unfortunate incident.

That evening, Jun Seo came back with a vanful of Big Bang boys. Enthusiastic greetings were exchanged and Ha Eun snickered when she saw Hye Jin’s ears turn red while exchanging greetings with Seungri. He had been Hye Jin’s bias for the longest time but Ha Eun had to take her hat off to her friend for not betraying any fangirl emotion on her face.

Jiyong quietly sat down beside her and patted Jiyongie’s head. The little boy was comfortable sitting on Ha Eun’s lap, flipping a picture book. He watched Ha Eun smile gently as she cooed softly to her nephew, pointing out the various pictures and reading aloud to him. She still looked pale and weak but Jiyong thought she still looked beautiful. Ha Eun flinched in surprise when Jiyong leaned onto her shoulder, so that he could have a good view of the book as well.

“Oh, you can read to him if you want,” Ha Eun said as she handed the book over to him. Jiyong couldn’t protest as the little boy clambered onto his lap, eyes focused still on the picture book that was now in the super star’s hands. But her flustered expression and curiously pink cheeks had not escaped Jiyong’s and Youngbae’s sharp eyes.

 

 

 

 

While Seunghyun had not been able to join the other members in visiting Ha Eun the night before, he was now sitting in her living room as promised. He had made his way over straight after filming and had been disappointed to hear that Ha Eun was still sleeping due to the effects of the painkillers.

He bowed his thanks as her mother offered him a warm mug of coffee. He would normally skip breakfast but after an all-nighter, he was thankful to see her ladle up a bowl of freshly boiled soup and rice for him. Youngbae was putting out side dishes for him now.

“You should get some rest too. Aren’t you flying to Japan later?” Seunghyun asked as he took a bite of the kimchi Youngbae and set out for him. The younger man smiled and sat across from him at the table. “It’s because I’m flying out tonight that I want to spend more time here. I won’t be back until end of the week.”

“Youngbae has been helping me all day. I feel bad for asking but he has been a great help since I’m not familiar with this neighborhood. My grandson loves him too – if only I had a son like you, Youngbae ah!” Mrs. Song’s eyes twinkled as she sat a bowl of soup down for him too. “Treat Ha Eun well for me, ok?”

“You know I will always treasure her as a younger sister,” Youngbae said. “And I already love you like my own mother. So you can count on me to protect her and make sure she picks the right man.”

Seunghyun watched this friendly exchange with amusement but his interest was really piqued at Youngbae’s last words. “Who’s picking the right man for me?”

They looked up to see Ha Eun rubbing her eyes sleepily, sloppy in her home-wear and hair a mess. Seunghyun smiled when she blushed upon fully comprehending who her guests were. Ha Eun straightened her posture but defiantly entered the space without tidying her hair too much.

Her mother was already quickly preparing food for her and Ha Eun took a seat beside Youngbae. “Youngbae will make sure you pick the right man. What a reliable oppa!” her mother chirped. Ha Eun threw Youngbae a questioning look before sipping her soup. “Since he’s known Jiyong for so long, I’m sure he’ll be able to mediate your quarrels and…”

Mrs. Song was cut short by Ha Eun’s sudden choking fit. While Youngbae laughed silently and thumped her back, Seunghyun was staring agape at both women. He only remembered to close his mouth when Ha Eun looked up and their eyes met.

“Omma!” Ha Eun spluttered. “What are you saying in front of these oppas?!” Youngbae laughed and helped to clean Ha Eun up. “Your mother entrusted you to Jiyong while you were sleeping in hospital and that pabo actually seemed to have taken it seriously.”

Ha Eun stared wide-eye at Youngbae, at her mother, and finally at Seunghyun before a blush crept onto her face. “Didn’t you have a crush on him, even when Ji Eun was still dating him? And after your unnie got married and stopped following their news, you continued attending his concerts?”

“Yes I did, but that was when I was still little! And I supported all of them and I only attended their concert ONCE! Omma! How am I going to face Ji Oppa now? No wonder he was acting all weird when he was here last night. OTOKE~!” Ha Eun huffed embarrassedly like a teenager and the two men laughed. While Seunghyun was happy to hear Ha Eun’s clarifications, Mrs. Song’s next question threw him off.

“I thought you were waiting for your Ji Oppa all this time, that’s why you’ve not dated anyone! So do you have anyone that you like? If not, now that he has shown interest, you might fall for him. I heard he’s very charming and wouldn’t it be fun to have 2 Jiyong’s at home?”

Ha Eun stared ruefully at her mother before turning back to her food and decidedly ignored all subsequent questions.