lunch

Wednesdays at Three

inappropriate luhan is inappropriate

LUNCH


Han slips into the cafeteria five minutes after the lunch bell rings. He bypasses the lines of hungry teens to snag a carton of chocolate milk, directing a flirtatious wink to the girl who was about to have her tray of mystery meat and fries rung up. He digs out a handful of quarters and drops them onto the girl’s tray. He bids the cafeteria lady a good day before leaving the line. It's all a part of their daily routine. No one is surprised by his line cutting anymore.

Ripping open the carton as he finds his way to his usual table, he takes a swig of the sugary milk as he slides into the seat next to Yixing.

“I’d give her a nine.”

“I don’t know, man. A seven?” Jongin says before shoveling half of his meatball sub into his mouth.

“What’s a seven?” Han asks.

Yixing pulls out a small container from his lunchbox and hands it over to the eldest boy. “Kim Minseok.”

“Kim Minseok is a what?!” Han pops open the top of the container. (Yixing’s mom is the best cook. Bless her soul for offering to make him lunch every day). He has half a mind to throw one of his sushi rolls at Jongin for his blasphemy. “She’s nothing less than a thirty. Have you seen her jugs?”

Jongin shrugs. “I like a nice rack as much as the next guy but hers are sort of…intimidating. Plus she’s a little too short for me.”

Han gives the youngest boy a look and plops a roll into his mouth. “ that. I would kill just to bury my face in her , those beautiful 34DDs.”

“You know her cup size and yet you wonder why she kneed you in the balls last week,” Yixing snorts, stabbing around his chicken caesar salad, looking for croutons.

“I was merely trying to help adjust her collar when she went all Xena Princess Warrior on me.”

“Don’t lie. You went in for the kill,” Jongin says, mouth full of meatball and marinara.

“You had her entire left in your hand,” Yixing continues for him.

Thinking of their dance club meeting last week, Han sighs at the memory of his encounter with Minseok while they were packing up. “And what a lovely moment it was,” he reminisces dreamily, voice airy. “Until she went after the twins, that is.” He shrugs, picking up his milk. He’s not deterred. She hasn’t been here for long yet, give it a couple more months and Minseok will be falling at his heels.

Yixing cheers under his breath when he finds another crouton, immediately popping it into his mouth. “You’re every woman’s worst nightmare.”

“Are we calling wet dreams ‘nightmares’ now?”

“Uh, Yixing.”

The three boys look up at the new, higher pitched, voice. Speak of the devil. It’s Minseok, as gorgeous as ever. Her long pink hair is styled over the shaved quarter of her head and she’s dressed in a loose gray tee (that Han notices is slipping over her shoulder, yum) and black leggings and has her feet strapped into a pair of black wedges.

“Oh, hey, Minseok.”

“Yeah, hey.” The girl looks around the table, awkward tight-lipped smile quickly dropping into a frown as soon as she meets Han’s eyes. Swinging her hobo bag around, she pulls out a folded navy hoodie. “Thanks for letting me borrow it. I washed it last night. Thought it’d be easier to return it here at school.”

Yixing takes his hoodie back, tossing it onto his pile of books and messing up the neat folding. “No problem. You needed it.” He grins.

Minseok smiles earnestly, all gums and shining white teeth. “I’ll see you at practice Wednesday. You too, Jongin.”

Han grabs her bag when she turns to walk back to her table without so much as even breathing in his direction. He sticks his bottom lip out and pouts. “I don’t get a goodbye?”

Minseok looks him up and down before ripping her bag out of his hands and stomping off, wedges clacking noisily against the ceramic tiles.

Folding his arms, Han leans against the edge of the table, uncaring of how it digs into his back. All of his attention is on Minseok as she walks to her own table. She turns over her shoulder, visibly bristling when they meet eyes again and hurries off faster.

“She’s into me,” he lays with a loopy grin on his face.

“Maybe she was before you molested her but I’m pretty sure she hates your guts now.”

Han glares as Jongin but then he realizes something and he turns his heated gaze to Yixing.

Yixing shovels a forkful of caesar-drenched romaine into his mouth and raises an eyebrow at Han. “What?”

“You let her borrow your hoodie. Her body came in contact with your hoodie,” he stresses. “When. Where. Why.”

“This weekend. You know how it rained? I ran into her in town and she was drenched. It was like she was a spring break wet t-shirt contestant.” In goes another mouthful of lettuce. “So I gave her my hoodie.”

“Did—”

“Baby blue with black polka dots,” Yixing cuts him off, already knowing his ert of a best friend was going to ask if he could see her bra — not that he was purposefully looking; he's not into Minseok like that but it was sort of hard not to notice with her s right there in his face.

Han stuffs a sushi roll into his mouth and groans but the three of them all know it’s not because of the taste.

 

 

“Why are the cute ones always such sleazes?” Minseok drops her bag to the floor and falls into her seat across from Sehun and Chanyeol. She picks up her thermos of now lukewarm raspberry flavored black tea.

“Lu Han?” Sehun asks and reaches over to pluck the last pepperoni off Chanyeol’s pizza.

“Lu Han.” Minseok nods.

“He’s always been a little…” Sehun quirks a waxed brow that says a million and one things at once. “But he’s seriously been doing the most since you came. I think you bring out the worst in him.”

Minseok rolls her eyes. “Thanks.”

“It’s sort of cute to see him fall all over himself to get your attention, though,” Chanyeol pipes in, her deep voice muffled by her napkin as she wipes . “He never paid much attention to the girls here except for a little bit of flirting here and there before.”

“But why me?” Minseok cries, picking out the cucumbers from the turkey wrap she bought from the gas station convenience store this morning. Really, who eats these things?

“It’s because of your huge bazongas,” Sehun answers, cupping her own, smaller s for emphasis. That’s Sehun for you, relentlessly blunt as ever.

Minseok flings a cucumber slice at her, scowling.

“What Sehun means is that you’re smart, you have a nice personality, and you’re super pretty. There’s no way he wouldn’t like you.” Chanyeol’s grin falters when Minseok turns her glare on her. “Unfortunately.”

Sehun snorts and mumbles, “Yeah, sure, that’s what I meant — ow!”

Chanyeol’s fist slips and so happens to punch Sehun in the arm. Minseok stares blankly at the two girls across from her as they wrinkle noses and stupidly make faces at one another, Sehun threatening to quote unquote pull out a ’s weave and Chanyeol, always the least confrontational of the three, politely asking Sehun to reveal her true identity as a thirteen year old boy.

As soon as the words register, Sehun’s jaw clamps shut. She raises her hand and brushes her fingers through the blond strands of her pixie cut. Frowning, she stands. “I think I’m going to get some cookies before lunch ends.”

“Good going, Yeol,” Minseok congratulates, giving the remaining girl a sarcastic thumbs up.

Chanyeol picks up Minseok’s earlier thrown cucumber and tosses it at her. The offending vegetable slaps her neck before falling into her shirt. “I forget sometimes, okay.” Chanyeol crosses her arms over her chest.

Everyone knows how Sehun gets about her boyish looks. Minseok hadn’t moved here yet but she heard all of the stories about how some punk Sehun had a crush on last year rejected her because he she wasn’t feminine enough. Sehun gets offended when they make fun of the round unicorn plush doll she sleeps with and gives them the silent treatment for days, that kind of rejection probably ruined her for life.

Minseok nods as she stands up herself. “I’m gonna go extract this cucumber from out of my bra. I’ll see you later.” She glances quickly in the direction of the lunch line Sehun’s standing. “And fix her, please. Or she’s going to spam me with texts tonight about how she’s not a boy and I really don’t want to deal with that.”

 

 

Finishing off the last roll, Han caps the empty container and slides it over to Yixing. At the same time as he grabs his chocolate milk, he spots Minseok out of the corner of his eye. Mentally patting himself on the back for leaving his books in his locker (because they would only slow him down), he hops up. Jongin and Yixing look at him curiously.

“Gonna head back to class before the rush,” he lies, saying he’ll meet up with them after school before running off after the girl of his dreams.

Jongin props his arm on the table and rests his chin in his palm. ‘Gonna head back to class before the rush’, his . As if he couldn’t see that distinctive head of pink leaving the cafeteria. “He could have just told us he was going to harass Minseok.”

Shaking his head, Yixing replaces the container in his lunch box. Han will never learn. “I bet you 10 bucks we find him in the fetal position.”

 

 

Crushing the milk carton in his hand after downing the remaining couple of sips, Han blindly tosses it into the trashcan sitting outside the cafeteria doors. Turning his head left and right, a wide grin stretches his cheeks as he spots his short, pink-haired beauty. He follows her at a comfortable length with light feet, careful to not alert her of his presence, her shoes making the only sound in the empty hallway save for the excess noise flowing out of the cafeteria.

Examining her back, he notices her shirt has risen and he gnaws at his bottom lip to stop the spread of his grin at the visible pattern of her underwear through her thin leggings. His fingers twitch with the desire to trace her line and he can’t stop himself from speeding up to close the distance between them. Coming up behind her, Han hooks his arm around her waist and laughs lightly when she jumps.

“Where you off to, beauti...ful,” he asks, trailing off when he glances down and sees her with a hand down the front of her shirt. If he angles his head right he can catch a glimpse of her…

Minseok shrieks an ear-splitting sound that has Han dropping his arm around her in favor of covering his ears and backing away two steps.

 

 

“What the hell was that?” Sehun frowns, glancing up toward the doors as she finds her seat again. Slipping a warm chocolate chip cookie out of its packaging, she flicks her eyes across the table to realize they’re down a girl. “Where’s Minseok?”

Chanyeol swallows thickly. “Uh…Bathroom,” she answers. She rises onto her knee to scan the cafeteria, searching for Jongin’s big head amongst the hundreds of other students. An uncomfortable feeling settles within her when she finds him and doesn’t see Han at the table as well. Grabbing her cell from her pocket before she sits down, she sends a quick text to Jongin, praying that his phone is nearby (and that it actually is charged for once). Setting her phone on the table, she curls a hand around Sehun’s shoulder. “Sorry about earlier. But you know I was just joking, right? You’re like super adorable and if anyone should be worried about being boyish it should be me and-”

“Stop.” Sehun holds up a folded hand, cookie held between her thumb and forefinger. “You at apologizing.”

Chanyeol gives her a look.

“But y apology accepted.”

 

 

The scream alerts the two boys who simultaneously face-palm.

“I hope there’s another loose garden snake running around and that wasn’t Minseok,” Yixing worries. He’s actually friends with Minseok and he’s only waiting for the day she stops talking to him because of his association with Han.

Jongin flinches when his phone bursts into song, his text ringtone of Akdong’s 200% on full volume. He could have sworn he put it on silent. Thankful that it went off here instead of during class, he retrieves it from his hoodie pocket. He sighs as he reads the message and replies to it with a grimace. Remembering to silence the device, he slips it back into his pocket. “It was probably Minseok.”

 

 

Chanyeol groans upon reading that yes, Han did go after Minseok. God, Jongin, how hard is it to keep your predator friend in check?

Looking over the taller girl’s arm at the cell phone, Sehun snorts and finishes the last bite of her first cookie. “He never learns. Say, I bet you 10 bucks she busts his balls again.”

 

 

Quickly pulling out the cucumber — she probably should have waited until she got to the bathroom to get it out, that would have been smart — Minseok drops it in her haste to put a little more space between her and-

“Lu Han!” She plants her hand over her heaving chest. “What is wrong with you? Why are you following me?!”

He raises his hands, palms facing Minseok in surrender. “I just wanted to apologize for what happened last week. It was an honest to God mistake.” An honest to God mistake that was carefully planned out.

She doesn’t seem to believe him either way. “Uh huh.”

Man, she’s so cute when she’s judging him.

“I really just want to be friends.”

“Friends?” She repeats slowly with one of her thick eyebrows raised in disbelief.

He nods. “Yeah. Friends. Like I said, I didn’t mean to…touch you inappropriately. It’s not like I’m attracted to you ually or anything.” His chuckle is awkward and pained. “Can we start over?”

Her eyebrow is still perfectly arched and with that kind of expression he can’t tell if she sees right through him or not. He at least needs her to forgive him because if she doesn’t he can kiss all of his chances with her goodbye.

Minseok her hip and flips her hair over her shoulder. She really doesn’t like Lu Han, has no reason to, because he hasn’t shown her that he has any redeemable traits and he obviously has no respect for women. “Okay.”

“Look, I swear I— Okay? Did you just say ‘okay’?”

“Yeah. I don’t exactly believe that you aren’t interested in me but you apologized so I guess you’re not so bad.” She shrugs.

The end period bell rings and the both of them glance down the hall where kids are starting to pour out of the cafeteria.

Running a hand through his hair, Han eyes her sheepishly and rubs at the back of his neck. “Can I walk you to class?”

She starts to walk away and without turning over her shoulder replies, “Sure.”

He cheers mentally, pumping his arm behind Minseok’s back. Quickly catching up with her, he walks with her in the direction of her next class, knowing where it is because his locker is right outside the classroom. She doesn’t say anything to him on the way and he struggles to find something to talk about.

“So, uh, your underwear is cute. Hello Kitty, right?”

 

 

“You thought she was going to knee him again too?” Yixing glances at Sehun who is grumbling as she rips a ten from out of her sock.

“Yeah,” she huffs, narrowing her eyes at a high-fiving Chanyeol and Jongin while she stamps her foot back into her sneaker. “Hey, beanpole, take your money.”

“Better luck next time, eh?” Chanyeol pats the blond on the shoulder encouragingly as she snags the bill and turns away from the other four to stuff it in her bra in case Sehun tries to steal it back.

“Whatever. Now I can’t get bubble tea after school like I wanted to.” Sehun pouts.

Yixing perks up, eyebrows raised. “I was sort of in the mood for bubble tea today. I could spot you if you want.”

“Don’t do it, Yixing. She’s like a stray cat. She’ll never leave if you offer her bubble tea,” Chanyeol warns, yelping when Sehun aims a kick at her ankle.

Sehun looks up at him with wide, hopeful eyes, a distinct change from her usual honey-badger-don’t-give-a- look. How could he say no to that? “I wouldn’t mind,” he says, unable to resist a small smile she's when beaming at him like he just made her biggest dreams come true.

“You say that now.” Chanyeol laughs and dodges another kick.

“You guys, this is really not the time. I cannot feel my face and I think I’m starting to go blind in my left eye,” Han whines, cradling the left side of his face.

The other four blink at him as if suddenly remembering his presence in the nearly empty hallway with them.

“Your locker is next to Jongin’s right?” Yixing turns back to Sehun who nods. “I’ll meet you there once school is out.”

“C’mon, Hun, the late bell should ring any minute now. I don’t need Mrs. Park on my again,” Jongin says and wraps his hand around Sehun’s arm, dragging her away from Yixing.

Chanyeol barely spares a glance at them. “Guess we should get going too, Yixing.”

“I really hate how the music wing is on the other side of the school.”

“Right? I don’t know how they expect any of us to make it there on time.”

Sighing, Han turns to take his books from his open locker as best he can with one hand trying to knead feeling back into his face.

 


writing han without the lu was so awkward. like it was so hard.