Chapter 7

Honor Pricks Me On

When school ended, Piper made her way to Eun Sang’s work. She saw Eun Sang standing behind the counter when she arrived, and Eun Sang gave a warm smile when she saw her friend.

“Did you get a chance to clear your head?” Piper asked.

Eun Sang sighed, “I think it’s cloudier than ever.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

She shook her head, “No, but I’d like it if you stayed here for a while. I don’t know who’s going to show up and having you around means a quick getaway.”

Piper threw her friend a wry smile, “I see how it is. Here I was investing so much in our friendship and you’re just using me for my car.”

Eun Sang laughed along, “Go sit down; I’ll bring you your drink.”

Piper sat alone while Eun Sang worked; occasionally the girls would be able to catch a few minutes together to talk – though they made sure to keep away from weighty topics. Piper copied the class notes that Eun Sang missed into her friend’s notebook and started on that night’s homework.

Soon, night fell. Piper’s homework was done, all the notes copied. The café was almost emptied of patrons.

“Yes, Boss.” Eun Sang spoke into her cellphone. “I’ll close up and leave.” She hung up the phone and began cleaning off one of the tables.

“Excuse me.” One of the remaining patrons called out. “There’s a hair in the drink.”

“That can’t be. Just one minute.” She walked over and picked up the plastic juice cup, holding it up and examining it closely.

“There isn’t one?” He questioned.

“Yes.” She examined it closer, wondering if she missed something.

“I was sure there was. Then, can you give me your number?” A slow smile spread across his face, his friend looking on with amusement.

The customer-friendly disposition Eun Sang wore dropped away as she set the cup back on the table. “It’s closing time.”

“Honestly, you could give your number.” The friend insisted. “We always come here.”

“You’re done drinking this, right?” Eun Sang reached over to take his cup away.

The first patron clasped his hand around Eun Sang’s wrist, “Just wait a minute.”

“Alright, guys, it’s time you left.” Piper interjected, walking over. “My friend needs to close up the store.”

“You too, give us your number as well.” The patron pointed at her.

Piper stared at him coldly. “That wasn’t a request; that was an order. You need to leave.”

“If you won’t give your number, do you want to get mine?” The guy was unrelenting.

“Everything is recorded on the CCTV and if you continue, I will call the police.” Eun Sang threatened, a smile on her face.

The two guys laughed, clearly not believing her.

“The police are here.” A deep voice came from nearby.

Young Do strode up and swiftly kicked the chair of the patron grabbing Eun Sang’s wrist, causing his to let go of her as he crashed to the floor. His friend stood up, ready to fight.

“This jerk...” the friend muttered, scowling at Young Do.

“Oh!” Young Do pointed at the guy, smiling menacingly in recognition. “It’s been a long time. It’s our first time meeting since middle school, right?” He held out his hand for a handshake. “Oh, nice to see you, friend.”

“Choi Young Do?” The guy sputtered, rushing to grab his friend and make a hasty escape.

“Hey, I treated you so well. Why did you grow up to be a thug?” Young Do questioned, his hand still outstretched as they stumbled over themselves trying to leave. Once they were gone, he lowered his hand and looked at Eun Sang disparagingly. “If you were going to be taken advantage of, it should be by me and not by those petty bastards.”

“There are so many things wrong with that statement I don’t even know where to begin,” Piper muttered.

“I can’t accept guests; it’s closing time.” Eun Sang informed him, righting the chair he had knocked over.

“If I saved you, you should say thank – ”

“You’re the bad guy.” She cut him off. “You’re the reason I can’t go to school. Why am I being pestered by you? Why are you bothering me?”

He was silent for a moment. “I’m not bothering you.” He spoke quietly. “Piper, leave us for a moment.”

Had Young Do actually taken what Piper had said earlier to heart? She scanned his face for any ulterior motive, and turned to Eun Sang.

“I’ll be right outside. Yell if you need me.”

Piper propped the door open with a small rock as she waited outside, listening in so she could rescue Eun Sang if things turned sour. Once they were alone, Young Do cleared his throat loudly.

“Would this be a bit bothering? I went to the house you used to live at.” He informed her, causing Piper’s head to drop in disappointment.

“What?” Eun Sang was startled.

“But then listen,” he continued. “Number 1: You lived in that ragged house. Number 2: but now you live in Pyongchangdong. That’s why we met in front of the convenience store. Number 3, but the way I look at it, you are a welfare scholar for sure. That’s why, Number 4 – “

“You’re right, I’m not New Money.” Eun Sang cut him off yet again. “You’re right that I’m on a welfare scholarship.”

“Right.” He said, just barely hiding the surprise of her admission in his voice. “That’s what I’m saying.”

“So what are you going to do?” She pressed. “Are you going to chase me out of Jeguk High?”

Young Do was quiet. “No, because I started to like you.”

Eun Sang blinked, unsure if he was serious or if this was a trap of some sort. “What?”

“But you don’t like me, right?” He asked, and was met only with silence.

Empty and embarrassed, Young Do turned and walked out of the café, not sparing Piper a second glance as he passed her.

“You confessed, didn’t you?” She called after him, though they both knew the answer.

Young Do didn’t reply, continuing his walk to his motorbike.

“Choi Young Do,” Piper called, this time he stopped, sending a withering look at her. “Sincerity looks good on you. You should wear it more often.”

///

Piper and Parker drove Eun Sang to school the next morning. Piper stuck close by her when she could, acting as a buffer against the attentions of Tan and Young Do, as well as the whispers that had started coming from their classmates.

Rachel managed to corner them as Eun Sang switched out books at her locker, her standard sneer plastered on her face.

“I thought you’d stopped coming to school. I guess I was wrong.” She pursed her lips, staring Eun Sang down.

“There’s no reason for me to stop coming.” Eun Sang replied.

“Really? If I give you a reason, then will you quit?” She gave a threatening smile.

“Let me hear how you will make it.” Eun Sang sounded tired.

“Before that, we should settle our social classes first. What does your family do? If you are New Money, how much of a New Money are you? Now I need to know about it.”

Eun Sang gave a small smile. “That’s really childish.”

“You’re really annoying me!” Rachel sneered. “Kim Tan and I are engaged. Do you know what that means?”

“Did you know that we don’t care?” Piper quipped.

“Was anyone asking you?” Rachel snapped back.

“What’s your point?” Eun Sang interjected.

“It’s not that he and I are dating, but I am saying that it’s a promise between two corporations.” Rachel lectured. “Exchanging stock, sharing technology, and I’m saying that it’s a deal that has the potential to create millions or even billions in profits! This is childish?”

“Because those are the ingredients to a happy marriage,” Piper grumbled under her breath.

Rachel ignored her. “You, right now, are interfering with this huge deal. But you think this is childish? Now answer me. I asked you in America as well, didn’t I? Who are you?”

“You’ll find out who I am, soon.” Eun Sang stated simply. “Because Choi Young Do knows.”

“Choi Young Do?” Rachel repeated, confused.

Eun Sang and Piper walked off, heading to their first class after lunch.

“Do you think Young Do will actually tell anyone?” Piper wondered.

“Do you think he won’t?” Eun Sang returned.

///

Eun Sang was cornered yet again before class, this time by Kang Ye Sol and her two henchwomen. Eun Sang had silently pleaded with Piper to stay out of it, knowing her friend had a temper that would only exacerbate the situation, but it grew harder and harder for Piper to sit by.

“Look at her.” Ye Sol sneered, looking down at Eun Sang, who was quietly seated at her desk. “I said to just say either your mom or dad’s name. Is it that hard? If you’re New Money, there should be some articles about it.”

“Kang Ye Sol,” Piper called, getting the girl’s attention. “You have really pretty eyes.”

That caught her off guard, and she simpered at the compliment. “Thanks.”

“It’s a shame that once I’m done grinding you into the pavement that they won’t look the same,” Piper flashed her a dark smile.

“Hey! Crazy !” Ye Sol hissed.

“You won’t find them. There aren’t any articles.” Eun Sang answered quietly.

“Hey, if there’s nothing then you’re not New Money.” Ye Sol declared. “In our country, where money is a sensitive issue, how could there be no news articles about someone suddenly being rich?”

“Now that I look at it, I haven’t seen you get out of a car, when you came to school.” One of the henchwomen added.

“If you don’t want to tell us your mom and dad’s name, then at least tell us the company’s name.” Ye Sol continued. “Is it a publicly trading company? What type of business is it?”

“Why are you all curious about this?” Eun Sang wondered. “Why are you just curious about me?”

“How dare you talk like that? Just answer what’s being asked!” Ye Sol pushed Eun Sang roughly with her fingers. “Tell me.”

Piper had tolerated enough. Gritting her teeth, she began to stand up to give the girls a good beat down, but was forced back into her seat by Young Do.

“Kang Ye Sol.” He called from his seat behind Piper.

“What?” Her voice immediately changed, becoming soft and high pitched.

“Don’t touch her.” He threatened.

Ye Sol drew back, chastened by his warning. Slowly, she slid off Eun Sang’s desk, not making eye contact with anyone.

“Ya, big news!” Myung Soo exclaimed as he swung the classroom door open. “Big news!” He was pointing aimlessly around the room, his finger finally landing on Eun Sang. “New Money, what does your family really do for a living?” He asked. “I just got a call from my mother, and she said Cha Eun Sung’s mother is awesome.”

“What’s amazing?” Young Do questioned.

“Today was the parents meeting. Her mother, from top to bottom, was the price of a foreign car!” Myung Soo exclaimed. “She even came in the nicest car, and all the mothers lost their confidence.”

Eun Sang turned, throwing a confused look at Piper. Piper was at a loss for words as well – there was no explanation she could think of that would clear up what Myung Soo was talking about.

“Are you sure?” Young Do pressed.

“Your family, uh... the 3rd finance…” Myung Soo laughed nervously, holding up three fingers. “Did you become new money by being in the cash business?”

“What’s the 3rd finance,” Piper twister her head back slightly, whispering to Young Do.

“Loan sharks,” he replied in a whisper of his own.

“Oh.”

“The... our camping, except for the room and the board...” Myung Soo went on, addressing the rest of the class. “Cha Eun Sang’s mom is arranging it all.”

Eun Sang was floored. “You are saying that my mom said she would pay for it?”

///

Piper almost didn’t pick up her loudly ringing phone. She was enthralled in a book that Hyo Shin had lent her, but nonetheless she answered it begrudgingly – she had just gotten to a good part.

“Hello?” Piper pressed her phone to her ear, not looking at the caller ID.

“Piper, it’s Eun Sang,” the voice on the other end of the call spoke, her voice shaken. “Would it be alright if I came over for a while?”

“Of course, but why do you sound so nervous?” Piper wondered.

“Choi Young Do showed up at the Kim residence,” she explained. “I can’t be there right now.”

Piper groaned, “That jerk. Okay, take a taxi; I’ll text you my address.”

“I can’t afford a taxi,” Eun Sang reminded her.

“Did I say you’d be the one paying?” Piper returned. “And don’t even think about arguing, Eun Sang. If you show up and you’re not in a taxi, I will force you to listen to Prosper practicing the piano for three hours straight.”

Eun Sang gave a small laugh, “Okay, I’ll take a taxi. I’ll see you soon.”

Piper sent her address to Eun Sang, and twenty minutes later her friend had pulled up in the large driveway. Piper paid the driver and led Eun Sang inside.

“Mom, Nan,” she shouted as the two girls walked through the front door. “I have a friend over from school; we’ll be in my room!”

“I’ll bring you some snacks!” Her mother shouted back from her studio.

Piper grinned as she led Eun Sang into her room. “Do you want to change out of your uniform? I have some clothes you can borrow.”

“Oh, you don’t have – “

“Stop being so sacrificing,” Piper cut her off. “I’m your friend, and you’re my guest. You’re allowed to feel comfortable.”

Eun Sang grinned warmly, allowing herself to be led to Piper’s closet. The girls giggled as they rummaged through the clothes, and for once Eun Sang could be at ease. Piper never had ulterior motives for helping her out – she was just as glad to have an uncomplicated friendship as Eun Sang – and although Chan Young had no hidden agendas when it came to Eun Sang, he had his own pride and reputation to think of. He couldn’t act as rashly as Piper could; she was just reckless enough not to care about anything.

Soon, Eun Sang was dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with a dolman cardigan thrown in to keep her warm. The clothes were a bit loose on Eun Sang; Piper was a few inches taller, a kilogram or two heavier, and had wide hips thanks to her mother’s side of the family. Regardless, Eun Sang was comfortable and carefree, flinging herself onto Piper’s bed with a sigh of contentment.

“I never realized how relaxed I could feel without worrying about Tan, or Choi Young Do, or Yoo Rachel, or anybody else from school being around.” She propped herself up on her elbows. “Chan Young thinks I should keep the New Money persona up until graduation, but it’s just too hard. And people are getting suspicious.”

“And by people, do you mean Yoo Rachel and her cronies?” Piper wondered. “Chan Young’s right, just fly under the radar. If you confess, things are going to get worse. Whoever went to the parents meeting posing as your mother just saved your honest from any suspicion. Don’t make that mystery good Samaritan’s actions go to waste.”

Eun Sang groaned, flopping back onto the mattress.

“Relaxation’s over, huh?” Piper grinned. “Why don’t we take your mind off your complicated relationships by talking about my failed one?”

She rolled off the bed and returned to her closet, rummaging through the boxes haphazardly stuffed on the shelves. She pulled out a small photo album and brought it back to the bed, flipping through the pages.

“This is Ian,” Piper indicated, pointing to a picture of her and a blonde haired boy.

“He’s cute,” Eun Sang declared as her friend sat next to her.

“He was also my first love,” Piper continued. “Well, I thought it was love. The fuzzy head, the fast-beating heart, all those symptoms of a crush can be confused for love.”

“Did you two break up?” Eun Sang asked.

“Yeah…after I found out he had slept with three different girls behind my back.”

“No!” Eun Sang was scandalized.

“Mmhm,” Piper nodded sadly. “I was sixteen at the time. It was my eldest brother, Peyton, who found out. It was while we were living in America. Peyton was there for a business trip and saw him out with another girl. I confronted Ian about it, and the stupid boy thought I knew everything and confessed to it right then. A month later, we moved to Sweden and I turned into the tough you’re friends with.”

“Is that why you haven’t had any interest in any of the boys at school?” Eun Sang wondered.

“No, I don’t have any interest in them because the vast majority of them are stuck-up money hounds.” Piper replied. “I mean, be honest, if Kim Tan wasn’t at Jeguk, would you have any interest in any of the guys at school?”

Eun Sang thought for a moment, “Well, Hyo Shin Sunbae is rather attractive.”

Piper laughed, “You naughty girl!” She teased.

Eun Sang’s text alert went off, interrupting their giggle-fest.

‘Choi Young Do left.’ Tan had written. ‘Why aren’t you coming in yet?’

‘Thank you for your text.’ Was all Eun Sang sent as a reply.

“Should we get you home?” Piper wondered.

Eun Sang nodded, “My mother will be wondering where I am.”

“Your mother or someone else?” Piper questioned with a teasing smile.

“Ah, this girl,” Eun Sang muttered in playful irritation.

She changed back into her uniform, and – after a few minutes of arguing – was driven home by Piper. They hadn’t realized how late it had gotten, and it was dark by the time Piper dropped Eun Sang off at the Kim residence.

“Text me if anything happens,” Piper requested as Eun Sang climbed out of the passenger seat.

“I will,” she promised.

///

“He took the courage to be with you,” Piper muttered incredulously as she and Eun Sang walked up to the school. Eun Sang had relayed her conversation with Kim Tan from the night before, and Piper was now fuming. “And you didn’t do anything for him? What kind of bull is that? What courage? What the hell has he done that was so courageous?”

Piper was more irritated than she had been. English curse words kept slipping into her Korean.

“He told Choi Young Do we were dating,” Eun Sang defended weakly.

“That wasn’t courage, that was possessiveness,” Piper argued. “He was staking his claim on you like he’s been doing every time he’s interfered in your business at school. If he wanted to be courageous, he’d tell his mother.”

“But then his mother would fire my mother and kick us out of the house,” Eun Sang informed her hurriedly.

“Exactly! It’s not courage, it’s Kim Tan being a petulant child wanting what he can’t have.” Piper decided.

“But he’s right, though.” Eun Sang conceded. “He as giving his all and I was just there, doing nothing to reciprocate.”

“Because the consequences of the alternative were awful,” Piper insisted. “This is one time I actually approve of you being self-sacrificing. And if he’s too much of an to understand that your mother will always be more important than him, then he doesn’t deserve any more of your time.”

Eun Sang was silent, shuffling alongside Piper as they neared the school. Two girls ran up to them, flanking them as the girls slowed their pace.

“I’m sorry about last time.” A girl with her hair pulled high into a side ponytail began. “We misunderstood.”

“You didn’t think too harshly of it, right?” The other one, her hair in a loose bun, asked with a hopeful smile.

“Do you want to come over to my house and study together today?” High Ponytail invited. “My mom wants to invite you over!”

“The bag your mom brought to the Parents’ Meeting... where is it from?” Bunhead inquired. “My mom said that it was – “

“I’m sorry, but...” Eun Sang interrupted. “Let’s not try to fix the misunderstanding. We’ll leave now.”

She took Piper’s arm in hers and walked ahead, leaving the two girls grumbling behind them.