Chapter 6

Honor Pricks Me On

Piper and Parker walked solemnly side-by-side on the way to lunch the next day. Piper had filled her twin brother in on the recent happenings involving Eun Sang, Young Do, and Tan. She was still ranting about it the next day.

“It’s like they’re playing some sordid game of tug-of-war and Eun Sang has the misfortune to be the rope.” Piper grumbled.

“But that would imply that Young Do likes her.” Her brother rebutted.

“Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he does in his own twisted way.” She argued. “After all, she fights back without having her parents’ last name to back her up. He probably sees her as some sort of challenge, which makes it all the more cringe-worthy. And you’re never around to help out like you promised her you would.”

“In my defense, she’s never actually called to ask me to help,” Parker told her. “She calls you.”

“Still, it’d be nice if you stepped in once in a while,” she muttered as they walked through the cafeteria doors.

“I said get up!” They heard Tan yell, and their eyes – along with everyone else’s in the cafeteria – went to the table occupied by Young Do and Eun Sang.

Seeing that Eun Sang was shaking like a leaf, the twins rushed over to assist her. “What is going on here?” Piper demanded.

“Eun Sang, are you okay?” Parker asked, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

Bolstered by the appearance of her friends, yet still shaking, Eun Sang slowly stood up with her plate in hand. Young Do threw his chopsticks against the table with an angry clang, growing angrier by the passing second. He stood up, his hands shoved in his pockets, and closed the distance between him and Tan.

“Where did you learn your table manners?” Young Do questioned, his voice dark. “Should I talk about your discipline at home in front of everyone?”

Tan didn’t back down, though whatever Young Do was implying had taken some of his bite away. “We were going to eat together. Let’s go.”

He strode over and took Eun Sang by the wrist, guiding her away from the table. The twins followed close behind, wanting to keep an eye on the situation as well as take care of their friend. Neither of them expected Young Do to let them go easily, but they never expected the method he had decided to use.

Young Do stuck his foot out, tripping Eun Sang to the floor. She gave a shriek as she tumbled to her knees, her food spilling off her plate and splattering against her uniform. Parker clenched his jaw, understanding what his sister had been talking about. He made a move towards Young Do, but was beaten there by Tan.

“Bastard.” Tan growled, gripping the front of Young Do’s sweater tightly in his fist.

“Don’t!” Eun Sang begged, running over to him. “Don’t. I just fell. Don’t.”

“Eun Sang-ah, come here,” Piper said, taking her friend gently by the arms and steering her away from them. “Don’t get between them, especially because fists might start flying.”

“You let your guard down because I’ve been nice to you.” Young Do informed her dangerously.

Tan shook him roughly, hand still knotted in Young Do’s sweater. “I’m going to kill you.”

“Tan, don’t sink to his level,” Parker cautioned, stifling his own urge to throw a punch. “You’re better than that.”

“Did I make Cha Eun Sang kneel instead of you?” Young Do wouldn’t let up, acting as if he wanted to start a brawl. “It’s more than you expected isn’t it?”

Tan reared back, ready to hit Young Do, but was stopped by a combination of Parker holding back his punch and Eun Sang breaking free of Piper’s grasp and running up to them.

“Please take me out.” She entreated, close to tears. “Please.”

Tan was motionless, his lip curled in a silent growl as he started down Young Do. He shoved Young Do away, wrenching is arm free of Parker’s grasp and taking Eun Sang by the wrist to lead her out of the cafeteria.

As she watched them leave, Piper turned back to Young Do. He expected her to yell at him, insult and scold him for his mistreatment of her friend. Instead, he was met with disappointment and a hint of sadness.

“Must you be so petty?” She questioned, shaking her head as she walked out of the cafeteria.

She pulled out her phone to message Eun Sang, not following after Tan and Eun Sang because she knew they should have some time alone.

‘Are you alright?’ Piper wrote.

‘I will be, I think.’ Was Eun Sang’s reply. ‘I’m going to the roof. Will you wait until I come down?’

‘Of course,’ Piper replied, parking herself by the stairwell to the roof.

“Are you okay?” Parker asked, walking up to his sister.

“I’m worried,” she confessed. “All this stuff being thrown at Eun Sang is just too much.”

Parker sighed, sidling up next to his twin. “I’ll say it again: this school is a lot different than the ones we’ve been to.”

“Do you think it was a mistake to come here?” She wondered. “Should we have gone to a lesser-named school?”

“And leave Eun Sang to face all this alone?” Parker quirked an eyebrow.

“I’m not so sure we’re helping,” Piper sighed. “If anything, I think we’re making it worse.”

“I doubt that, and now is not the time for you to act all mopey,” Her brother nudged her in the shoulder. “Buck up and help your friend. You can deal with all the other stuff later.”

The corner of Piper’s mouth quirked up, “Stop trying to be so smart.”

“Who’s trying, sister dear?” Parker quipped, shoving off the banister he had been leaning on. “Let me know if you need me, okay?”

Piper nodded, giving her brother a grateful smile as he walked off. She stood there, enrapt in her own thoughts as she waited for Eun Sang to come down from the roof.

“How come you are answering this call?” She heard a familiar voice come from nearby.

She turned to see Young Do, phone to his ear, looking displeased. Piper was taken aback – how long had he been standing there and how much of her conversation with her brother had he overheard? She’d done a good job of not showing her aggravation; would he use her self-doubt to instigate her to start fighting back again?

“You’re on the rooftop!” He declared, seeing Eun Sang descend the stairwell. “What were you two doing on the rooftop? Cha Eun Sang is now coming down from the rooftop.” He paused, listening to the voice on the other end of the call. “I have an urgent matter to attend to, so I’m going to hang up now.”

Eun Sang reached the bottom step and Piper came up to stand next to her. Without words, she asked if Eun Sang was okay. The solemn look on Eun Sang’s face was enough affirmation that she wasn’t okay. The two girls faced Young Do, who looked at them expectantly, but neither of them spoke. Instead, they walked on, fully intent on passing him.

Young Do reached out and grabbed Eun Sang by the wrist. She flung his hand off angrily, and Piper noted that he looked stunned at that action. Piper wondered if he expected anything different, after tripping and smearing Eun Sang with her own lunch.

“Eun Sang-ah,” Piper spoke, taking Eun Sang’s arm in hers, “let’s get you cleaned up.”

Eun Sang allowed herself to be steered towards the bathroom, and together the girls tried to rid her uniform of the offending stains. Through the mirror they saw Bo Na walk in, a shopping bag in her hand.

“I’ve been looking for you all this time!” Bo Na cried as she walked up to them.

“Why?” Eun Sang wondered.

“Why? Change into these.” Bo Na the bag into her hands. “I’ve looked through your locker.”

Eun Sang gingerly took the bag, “Thank you.”

“There’s no need to thank me.” She retorted, no real venom in her bite. “I’m doing it because Chan Young would do it anyway.”

“Still,” Piper interjected, “it’s a nice thing to do. I’m sure Chan Young would be grateful to you as well.”

“Of course he would,” Bo Na agreed.

Piper laughed, always in awe of Bo Na’s infallible self-assurance. She looked to Eun Sang and jutted her head towards the bathroom stalls. “Go change; I’ll keep trying to get the stains out.”

“Thanks,” Eun Sang gave a shy grin as she did as suggested.

“Make sure you use hot water,” Bo Na advised, stepping beside Piper to rub out other stains.

“I know Eun Sang already said it, but thanks Bo Na-yah,” Piper smiled. “Even if it’s just because of your boyfriend.”

Bo Na didn’t respond, though Piper did catch her looking a bit pleased with herself.

“How come you don’t look good in anything you wear?” Bo Na muttered as Eun Sang walked out of the stall, dressed in street clothes. “However, did you get caught by Choi Young Do?”

“I’m not sure.” Eun Sang confessed.

“Why did you come to a school that’s out of your reach, in the first place?” She interrogated, and Eun Sang looked down, knowing she couldn’t give an honest answer.

“Wow, there’s a ruckus going on!” Kang Ye Sol – one of Bo Na’s friends – exclaimed as she strode into the bathroom. “Tan and Choi Young Do are in the corridor...”

She was interrupted as Yoo Rachel – a ‘frenemy’ of Bo Na’s – stormed in behind her. She strode up to Eun Sang and grabbed her roughly by the hair.

“Hey! Are you out of your mind?!” Bo Na exclaimed, grabbing Rachel’s arm.

“You, shut up!” Rachel growled, pulling Bo Na’s hand off.

“Hey, you psycho,” Piper snarled, prevented from doing anything to Rachel when Bo Na held out her hand.

“This... how dare you!” Bo Na shouted.

“Talk to me, and let this go.” Eun Sang spoke calmly. Eyes wide in anger, Rachel flung Eun Sang’s head away as she released her. “What is it?” Eun Sang questioned, surprising everyone by wearing a sly smile. “It must be something big seeing as you grabbed me by my hair.”

“Do you realize what’s going on at school because of a worthless girl like you?” Rachel shouted. “Tan and Young Do are hitting each other! What are you going to do?”

“Really?” Bo Na exclaimed.

“What?” Eun Sang matched her volume.

“What is with these boys and violence?” Piper bemoaned as the girls rushed out of the bathroom to stop the fray.

They pushed through the crowd to find Tan and Young Do, bleeding from multiple wounds, being held apart from each other. Though his back was to the crowd, Piper could see Hyo Shin standing between them, no doubt attempting to act as the mediator. Piper locked eyes with her brother – one of the students holding Tan back – and wondered what had happened.

“What do we do? It’s the Board Director!” One of the female students shrieked, and the students parted to allow her through.

“Again?” The woman asked incredulously. “It’s you two again? Your punches have gotten better since the last time. Wow, I’m so proud of you.” She didn’t sound the least bit proud, her words hard and razor sharp. “Follow me, the two of you!”

Casting final glares at each other, Tan and Young Do stalked off, following their school’s director. Piper stalked up to Parker and Hyo Shin, almost at her wit’s end from the violent display that had occurred.

“Did they used to be like this?” Piper wondered as she stepped up to Hyo Shin.

“Believe it or not, they used to be friends.” He told her.

“I don’t believe it,” she remarked, turning to her brother. “Are you okay? No stray fists hit you?”

Parker shook his head, and Hyo Shin looked mildly affronted. “What about me?” Hyo Shin wondered teasingly. “You’re not worried if I got hurt or not?”

“You weren’t holding back one of the homicidal maniacs,” she remarked.

“That’s fair,” he conceded.

///

Piper was up late again, hunched over her desk as she worked on yet another mix. She heard her door creak open and she half expected to see Nan walk in with another dray of late-night snacks, but instead saw Prosper waddle in.

“Hey, kiddo,” she greeted softly. “What are you doing up so late?”

“I don’t feel good,” he whined, his teddy bear clutched to his chest.

“You didn’t want to go see mom or dad?” Piper asked, getting up from her seat and kneeling in front of him.

“You’re the only one still up,” he replied.

Piper gave a small smile, “I’m not surprised. Where do you not feel good?”

Prosper pointed to his stomach, a frown forming on his face.

Piper nodded, “Go get in bed; I’ll bring you something to settle your stomach.”

He did as he was told, and soon Piper came in with a small glass of ginger ale. She set it on his side table dresser and petted his hair softly.

“Will you read to me?” He asked, his tiny voice quiet.

“What do you want to hear?”

“Robin Hood,” he smiled a wide grin.

Piper chuckled and walked to his tiny bookcase, pulling out the worn copy of Howard Pyle’s tales of the famous outlaw. She nestled beside her younger brother, Prosper cuddling under his sister’s arms, as she read.

“In merry England in the time of old,” Piper narrated, “when good King Henry the Second ruled the land, there lived within the green glades of Sherwood Forest, near Nottingham Town, a famous outlaw whose name was Robin Hood. No archer ever lived that could speed a gray goose shaft with such skill and cunning as his, nor were there ever such yeomen as the seven-score merry men that roamed with him through the greenwood shades…”

She read on, and soon her recitations were replaced with soft breathing; both she and her brother had fallen asleep.

///

“You look terrible,” Hyo Shin remarked as he met Piper in front of the school that morning.

“You’re a great friend,” she muttered sarcastically.

He gave a wry smile. “I know.”

“I was up all night taking care of my little brother,” she informed him. “He didn’t feel good and didn’t want to wake our parents, so he came and got me.”

“Are you going to fall asleep in class?” He teased.

“Probably.”

“Don’t; I don’t want people thinking I’m friends with a slacker.” He joked. “Go up to the roof during lunch time; it’s quiet there, and you can probably get some sleep so you can make it through the rest of the day.”

“Thanks,” Piper gave a small smile.

“Thanks what?” Hyo Shin prodded with an impish smirk.

“I’m not using honorifics with you,” Piper chuckled. “That was a one-time only deal and you know it.”

“You can’t blame me for trying,” he shrugged.

“Yes, I can,” she replied, nudging him in the shoulder.

As she sat down in her first class, her text alert went off. It was Eun Sang telling her she’d be absent that day. When Piper asked her why, Eun Sang merely replied she needed some time to herself, and asked for Piper to stop by her work later that day.

Class began, and Piper struggled to stay awake as their teacher began the lesson.

“Gatsby, who was born into a poor family and didn’t get a proper education...” Their teacher began. “While he was imagining his glamorous future self, he’s a character that finally ends up believing his imaginations as being true. Also, instead of stopping at that, he falls in love with Daisy, a girl from an upper class family, and to make his love come true, he tries to earn money in any way that he can. By doing so, he becomes extremely rich at a young age.”

As she droned on, Piper became acutely aware of the many eyes burning holes in Eun Sang’s empty desk. Tan, Young Do, Chan Young, and even Rachel. If their eyes could literally burn holes in Eun Sang’s desk, it would have been a pile of ash by now.

“But his wealth is just a target of people’s suspicion and jealousy. Also, his embellished lies about his past are a target of ridicule. Even so, Gatsby believes in his made-up past, present, and even future...and he vows to change his reality to match his dreams.”

“For the performance evaluation, I’ll be checking your essay. So, be sure to turn it in by next time...” The dismissal chimes sounded, and Tan was the first one to bolt out of his seat.

///

Young Do stood in front of his locker, staring at nothing as his mind was wrapped up in Eun Sang’s absence.

“Hey, Lee Hyo Shin,” Parker’s voice sounded down the hall, and he jogged up to the other boy. “Have you seen my sister? I can’t find her anywhere and she’s not answering my texts.”

“She’s probably on the roof,” Hyo Shin replied. “She stayed up late taking care of your brother. She was in a bad mood this morning, so you should probably let her be.”

Young Do overheard the interaction, and a plan began quickly formulating in his mind. It had become more and more difficult to get a reaction out of Piper – he had grown amused by the way she looked when she was annoyed with him – and she also would know where Eun Sang was. Deciding to kill two birds with one stone, Young Do strode through the hallway and up the stairs to the rooftop.

When he arrived, however, he found her sitting on the ground as she leaned against one of the benches, her head rolled to the side and her eyes closed. Her chest rose and fell steadily, indicating she was asleep.

Young Do deflated. He didn’t know where this softness for sleeping girls came from, or if it even applied to any other girls, but it awoke something protective within him. His previous plan out the window, he instead sat beside her.

He said nothing, made no attempt to wake her; he merely sat there, sneaking occasional glances at her from the corner of his eyes. If Cha Eun Sang was a flower, Piper was the bee – protecting the delicate flower from other insects that would eat it up, and if one could get past the sting there was the promise of honey.

Moments passed before she woke up; her eyes barely opened as she sat up, and thus she didn’t noticing Young Do sitting beside her. She began stretching, rubbing her sore neck and back, making tiny moans as she worked out the stiffness.

Why is she making those noises? Young Do thought to himself, shifting in his place as she unknowingly bared her neck to him. Doesn’t she know I’m here? Stupid girl.

Piper exhaled deeply and opened her eyes, jumping slightly when she saw Young Do sitting beside her.

“Why were you sleeping?” Young Do asked. “It’s the middle of the day.”

“I was up late last night.” She replied simply.

“Was your homework too hard for you?” He questioned mockingly.

Piper stood up, brushing off her skirt. “You just don’t give up, do you?”

Young Do stood up as well, his height blocking out some of the sun. “Eun Sang wasn’t in class today.” He remarked. “You’re her friend; where is she?”

“She’s taking a day off.” She kept her answers short and simple. It was the easiest way for her to avoid any kind of confrontation with him; if her brother was right, Young Do would get bored and leave.

Young Do folded his arms and tilted his head to the side, looking at Piper disapprovingly. “Playing with Eun Sang is more fun than playing with you. At least she has some kind of reaction.” He smirked, “You’ve become worse than drying paint.”

“It’s only more fun because you like her.” Piper observed, silently scolding herself for biting back.

The smirk stayed, but coldness crept up behind it. “What?”

“Oh please, Choi Young Do, you’re so transparent.” Piper remarked. “Or, could it be, you don’t realize it yet?” Young Do’s jaw tightened. “Perhaps you’ve retreated so far into your bully shell that you’ve started to think that you’re incapable of feeling any of the more tender emotions. And because you’re so awful at expressing said emotions, the only way you know how to do so is by mocking, and annoying, and intimidating.”

“Wow,” Young Do mused, his voice laced with sarcasm, “You must be the only one who understands me.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean I care.” Piper returned. “Because, unlike Eun Sang, I’m not going to fan the flames. You like Eun Sang because she’s a challenge; she’s not on the same monetary level as you are, and you’ve never actually had to associate with someone on that level, so she’s become like a Rubik’s cube you need to solve. Or, perhaps, because she neither has nor cares about money or status, you’ve realized she’s the kind of girl you want to be with. The only problem is that you’ve treated her so poorly that she’s terrified of you, so any possibility of that has been thrown out. Not to mention she likes Kim Tan.”

Piper went to leave, but Young Do grabbed her by the arm, preventing her from going anywhere.

Piper looked at his hand wrapped firmly around her forearm. “You know, I’ve seen that move on dramas but I never actually thought guys used it in real life.”

“Don’t talk about things you don’t know.” Young Do ordered darkly.

“But you’re the one that said I’m the only one who understands you, remember?” She reminded him, looking up to see the tightness of his jaw. “Word of advice: next time, instead of lashing out, try being sincere. It might be difficult, but I think it’ll do you some good.”

“Liar.” He stated.

“What?” She asked, not sure if she heard him correctly.

“Liar,” Young Do repeated, letting go of her arm. “You said you didn’t care, and yet you’re giving me advice on how to better myself. It sounds like you do care.”

“Perhaps,” she conceded, not wanting to start a new argument. “Maybe I do care. Or maybe I pity you. Maybe both. Or maybe I don’t want to see my friend tormented day after day. Pick the answer that suits you best. I’ll leave first.”

She strode off, leaving Young Do behind to mull over what she had spoken.