Chapter 20

Honor Pricks Me On

Piper was making her way towards the Secret Garden when her phone began ringing. She was mildly surprised to see Young Do’s name flashing on the screen, but it brought a smile to her face nonetheless.

“Has it really been so long since you’ve heard my voice that you have to call me,” she teased as she answered.

“Piper-ah,” he spoke, sounding conflicted. “I – I think I’ve found my mom.”

“What?” Piper asked. “But, I thought you said your dad didn’t know where she was.”

“He didn’t. She left her business card for me at the restaurant we were supposed to meet at before she left.”

“Business card?” She repeated.

“A café.” He told her. “The Secret Garden.”

Piper stumbled at the words, utterly caught off guard. “Have you…are you going to meet her?”

He sighed heavily. “I don’t know yet.”

Piper swallowed hard. She was utterly conflicted. Should she tell Young Do that she could very well have already met his mother? Should she keep it a secret and allow him to make the decision on his own?

She heard Young Do sigh once more, and she could picture him rubbing his forehead in frustration. “Piper-ah, what do you think I should do?”

“I can’t make that decision for you, Young Do-yah.” She told him. “Only you can.”

“Well can’t you just try?” He inquired, practically whining.

She gave a small smile. “Sorry, Young Do-yah. Let me know when you’ve decided. I’ll support you no matter what.”

She hung up the call, and stood outside the café for a moment, attempting to make sense of the jumbled mess inside her head. With a deep, fortifying breath, Piper walked into the café and straight up to Kyung Ran. The woman smiled when she saw the young girl standing in front of her, no idea of the oncoming interrogation.

“It’s you, isn’t it?” Piper questioned. “You’re Choi Young Do’s mother.”

Kyung Ran’s smile dropped as she blanched. “How – how did you – “

“I’m ranked 27th in my class,” Piper interrupted her, choosing the safest answer without directly lying – and definitely without betraying her knowledge of Young Do’s discovery. “It might’ve taken me a while, but I’m smart enough to connect the dots.”

Kyung Ran wrung her hands in worry as Piper kept speaking.

“That story you told me – about being a coward and leaving behind the person you cared deeply for – that was about Young Do, wasn’t it? You left and you’ve been scared ever since, too scared to reconnect with your son because you’re afraid he’ll be angry with you and reject you.”

“Young Do, does he…?”

“He doesn’t know I’ve met you,” Piper told her. “He doesn’t know who you are. Is it really that hard to take your own advice? Are you really that scared of your own son?”

Kyung Ran sniffed, completely at a loss for any answers.

“His father’s being investigated right now,” Piper went on, delving into a topic she probably shouldn’t. “If something goes wrong – if his father gets in trouble for any reason and gets taken away – Choi Young Do’s going to need someone to look after him.”

Again, Kyung Ran didn’t speak, her eyes darting across Piper’s face as tears dripped down her cheeks. Whether from guilt or grief, Piper didn’t know.

“He misses you,” Piper added, her voice softer. “That’s all I have to say.”

With that, she spun on her heel and walked out of the café that had once been a place of comfort for her.

///

“The Chairman fell?” Eun Sang exclaimed as she and Piper sat in front of the school.

“Yeah.” Chan Young nodded. “Yesterday afternoon.”

“Is it wrong that I don’t actually feel sorry for him?” Piper mused.

“He’s unconscious.” Chan Young added.

“Still don’t feel bad for him.” Piper shook her head.

“That’s why Tan hasn’t contacted me.” Eun Sang muttered. “Which hospital is he at?”

“Tan isn’t at the hospital.” Chan Young informed her. “He went on a business trip with my dad.”

“Business trip?”

“For ten days. They have to meet with the foreign shareholders in person and get their signatures.”

“Ten days,” Piper marveled. “Is it really that bad?”

“Did something happen to the Group?” Eun Sang pressed.

“It seems like it.” Chan Young confirmed grimly. “My dad expressed it as a war, not a business trip. They should be in the airplane by now.”

“God,” Piper sighed heavily. “Everything’s falling to at the same time.”

“What does that mean?” Chan Young questioned.

Piper shook her head. “These aren’t my secrets to share.”

Eun Sang looked at her in surprise. She had heard that statement from Piper before, but it usually preceded Piper making her promise not to tell anyone else and spilling the secret anyways. This time, it seemed Piper was determined to keep shut.

///

Piper walked to Young Do’s hotel, listening to the news broadcast on her phone.

“Next, regarding Hotel Zeus, represented by Choi Dong Wook, the Prosecution filed for an arrest warrant on the 14th.” The announcer detailed. “Detective Oh of the Seoul Central District Prosecutor’s Office charged Representative Choi with breach of business trust with specific punishments and filed for an arrest...”

She pulled the earbuds out. It wasn’t good news in the slightest, and she quickened her pace to get to Young Do, knowing his propensity to lash out at unpleasant news.

The front desk attendants knew her face, and given the current situation they didn’t feel it would be a bad thing to hand over the keycard to Young Do’s room. The heir to the hotel needed comforting – it was a widely known fact in the hotel. Without someone there to rein him in, a hotel employee could very easily end up with a black eye and a split lip.

She walked in to find Young Do in the presence of several men in suits; men she could only assume were his family’s lawyers. When he caught sight of her, there were no questions about how she got into his room. Instead, he brushed through the men to reach her, pulling her into a tight hug.

She wrapped her arms tightly around him. “Are you okay? Do you need someplace to stay?”

He laughed thickly, sniffing slightly. “Are you asking me to come home with you?”

Piper gave a small laugh of her own, understanding how odd it must have sounded. “I just want to know that you’ll be taken care of.”

“Are you trying to take responsibility for me now?” He whispered into her hair.

“You already know that I like you,” she replied. “Did you think it’d be asking too much if I wanted you to live happily and be looked after well? You’re an odd one.”

He didn’t respond, only hugging her tighter.

“Do you want to get out of here?” She wondered. “Cooping yourself up isn’t going to do you any good.”

Young Do pulled out of the hug and nodded; the lawyers had left without either of the teens noticing. He grabbed his jacket and swung it over his shoulders, and the two exited the hotel without any destination in mind.

“Have I lived poorly?” He mused aloud as they walked.

Piper thought for a moment. “You’ve done some bad things, and made some bad decisions, but I don’t think you’ve lived poorly.”

“Hey, aren’t you supposed to think I have no faults?” He questioned, the gentle tone of his voice making it clear that he was trying to lighten his mood by teasing her.

“I’m just trying to be honest with you,” she gave a soft chuckle. “Isn’t that part of my charm?”

“Oh, so you think you’re charming now?”

The pair laughed quietly, and Piper soon became aware that they had wandered towards a school.

“Where are we going?” She wondered.

Young Do became solemn. “I’ve heard that when you want to change your behavior, you have to make amends for your actions.” He breathed deeply, squaring his shoulders. “I want to live better. There must be rules. No cheating allowed.”

Piper didn’t understand – she of course could understand why Young Do wanted to live better, and that he wanted to clear away the dirt of the past to start fresh – but the reason why they came to this school was a mystery.

That was, until, she saw a familiar face exiting the school, laughing with his classmates. Joon Young – the former favorite target of Young Do – looked better, healthier. Most significantly, he looked happier. Young Do stood with his back to the entrance, his eyes cast downwards, but Piper looked straight at him, curious that the transformation and anxious at the impending confrontation.

“That’s crazy!” His friends laughed at their private joke. “Does that make sense?”

Joon Young caught sight of Piper and froze, his eyes darting to the figure beside her. Although Joon Young couldn’t see his face, Young Do’s figure was easily recognizable. Slowly, Young Do turned, and Joon Young visibly flinched.

“What’s wrong?” His friends asked, following his eye line. “Who is that?”

“Choi...Young Do.” Joon Young answered slowly.

“Choi Young Do?” His friend repeated. “The one that used to bother you?”

“Ah… that’s him?” Another pointed out. “That hotel son?”

Young Do began a slow pace, closing the gap between him and his former target. Piper stayed even with him; although she had nothing to contribute, she knew lowering himself would be difficult for Young Do. Becoming weak and vulnerable by expressing guilt was still a foreign concept to the boy. He needed courage.

Joon Young looked accusatorily at Piper as they neared. “Is this the place you found at Jeguk?” He reproached. “Becoming as bad as him?”

“Joon Young-ah, you look well,” Piper stated, her expression remaining composed. “Don’t spoil it by saying ugly words.”

He pursed his lips, looking steadily at his former tormentor. “Why did you come? You still have some things to bother me about?”

“It’s not…like that.” Young Do informed him, pulling in another fortifying breath. “To say that I’m sorry. I wanted to say it.”

Joon Young looked at him blankly, as if he didn’t understand the words falling from Young Do’s mouth.

“I’m sorry, with all my heart.” Young Do went on. “I apologize. Really, I’m sorry.”

“I’m surprised that someone like you even knows how to apologize,” Joon Young stated, still stinging from old wounds. “But if you are truly sorry towards me, then you should live the rest of your life with guilt.”

“Okay. I will.” Young Do agreed.

“I won’t accept your apology. Ever.” Joon Young declared. “Don’t find me ever again.” He turned partially to his friends, his eyes now cast downwards. “Let’s go.”

He walked off, his friends skittering behind him as they attempted to leave without provoking the ire of the dreaded Choi Young Do.

Young Do remained rooted to the spot, a mixture of emotions bubbling inside of him.

“You did good, Young Do-yah,” Piper spoke gently, slipping her hand in his. Though his fingers closed around hers, his face remained conflicted. “Do you want me to buy you food?”

A soft smile appeared on his lips, his mood somewhat lifted. “Let’s go get jjajangmyeon.”

“I don’t like the bean sauce,” Piper stated as they walked off.

“Who said you were going to eat it?”

“It’s my money,” she chuckled. “And I might want to kiss you again; I don’t want you tasting like chunjang.”

“That’s assuming I’d even let you kiss me.” He teased, his trademark smirk appearing on his lips.

“Hey, it’s happened once before. Who’s to say it won’t happen again?”

“It’s only because you caught me off guard the first time,” he declared. “Now I’m on to your scheme, you shameless girl.”

///

“Have you heard from Kim Tan?” Piper wondered as she and Eun Sang sat on a bench, basking in the sunlight that splayed over the school grounds.

Eun Sang gave a small nod, “Not a lot. He’s been busy getting signatures of the stockholders to gather strength for the upcoming meeting. He should be coming home soon.”

Piper sighed and leaned back against the bench. “I can’t believe the Chairman’s wife wants control over his company. I mean, she runs this school; is she really that greedy?”

“The school doesn’t afford her any true power,” Eun Sang stated. “If she has control of the company and pretends to have her husband’s best wishes at heart, she’ll have so much more support and power that the school would pale in comparison.”

“I really hope she doesn’t get it.” Piper declared. “She not a bad as the head of the school, but I don’t even want to think of what she’d be like as the head of a company.”

Eun Sang paused, though she silently agreed. “Choi Young Do, how is he?”

“He’s is how any boy would be if the only parent he’s known faced serious charges. He’s scared and he’s hurting.” Piper sighed. “But he’s getting better. He’s trying to live better.”

“And he’s…okay with us still being friends?” Eun Sang questioned tentatively. “You and me?”

“Well, he hasn’t said anything to the contrary.” Piper remarked. “He hasn’t come up to me and said ‘Piper, I don’t want you being friends with Cha Eun Sang anymore’. Especially since I’m pretty sure he knows that if he tries that, he’s going to end up with a broken nose.”

Eun Sang gave a small laugh.

“Why do you ask?” Piper wondered.

Eun Sang sighed. “He told me he can’t be friends with me; I think it’s too painful for him. I just didn’t know if he’d try to stop us from being friends since you’re – “

“I don’t even know what Choi Young Do and I are,” Piper interrupted gently. “I’m letting him go at his own pace; he’s got so much on his plate right now that I don’t want to shove a relationship on top of it. But, regardless of what he and I are or aren’t, you were my friend first.”

Eun Sang smiled and leaned her head on Piper’s shoulder. “Good. I was worried it was going to cause problems. I don’t want to not be able to call you a friend anymore.”

“Bros before hoes,” Piper recited the American idiom, leaning her head on top of Eun Sang’s. “Though, I’m not going to lie, I did feel pretty jealous.”

“Really?” Eun Sang marveled. “Why?”

Piper chuckled. “You’re his first love, Eun Sang. He still gets this shadow across his face whenever someone mentions you, or when he sees you. I can’t help it.”

“Sor – ”

“Don’t you dare apologize, Cha Eun Sang.” Piper cut her off with a laugh. “It’s not like you did anything wrong. I’m just human, that’s all. I get jealous of the girl that the guy I like has a crush on. It happens. Besides, it’s not like I have to worry about you coming in and stealing him from me, do I?” She questioned, her voice taking on a faux threatening tone.

Eun Sang laughed, “No, I am perfectly happy where I am and who I’m with.”

“Good,” Piper grinned, laughing along with her friend.