Chapter 14

Honor Pricks Me On

Piper trudged alongside her brother and Hyo Shin at school the next morning. Multiple painkillers later and her headache had subsided, though the impending embarrassment looming over her did nothing for her nerves.

“What did your parents say about you skipping your exam?” Parker asked.

“‘Cheer up, Hyo Shin’,” their friend repeated.

“What does that mean?” Piper wondered.

“They’re letting me study whatever I want,” Hyo Shin informed them.

“Really?” She smiled. “That’s great!”

“...and then I have to go to law school,” he revealed.

The twins walked in stunned silence, their mouth hanging open slightly.

“Do you think your parents could adopt me?” He wondered.

Parker snorted, “If they could, they probably would.”

“Though, I don’t know if I’d let them seeing as how you kissed Yoo Rachel last night and didn’t even tell me,” Piper interjected. “I had to find out from Parker.”

“Sorry, though…where were you?” Hyo Shin asked. “I thought you were at that party, too.”

She grimaced, “I was…kind of yelling at Choi Young Do at that time.”

“Yelling?” Her brother and friend repeated.

“Yeah, I was a little drunk and…I kind of shouted at him that I like him.”

It was Hyo Shin’s turn to gape, her brother following suit.

“You shouted it at him?” Parker questioned.

“I was drunk,” she defended lamely.

“Can you pass it off like you only told him you were drunk?” Hyo Shin suggested. “Or that you don’t remember it happening at all?”

Piper shook her head, “I’m not that good of an actor.”

“No,” Parker agreed. “She’s really not.”

///

“Okay, that’s it for today.” The gym teacher dismissed the class after a game of boys vs girls basketball.

“Thank you!” The students bowed, and as they walked off the court to the locker rooms they maneuvered into their various cliques.

Piper sidled up to Eun Sang, both girls still feeling minor effects of Myung Soo’s punch from last night. They were blocked, however, by Ye Sol’s former friends. They had now banded together to become the new mean girl squad.

“Do you have something to say?” Eun Sang questioned, deadpanned.

“Look at this attitude.” One of the scoffed.

“A charity student cosplaying as new money.” Another sneered. “You’ve got some nerve.”

“I’m sorry for deceiving all of you.” Eun Sang told them sincerely. “I apologize.”

“An apology is enough?” The middle one demanded.

“It should be for people without sticks up their asses,” Piper fired back. “But, I guess you have sticks shoved so far up your asses they’ve become the spines you’ve never had. Bunch of cowards.”

The middle girl sneered. “A room salon kid pretended to have a bottled water company, a charity student pretended to be new money, and a gangster from America. This school is really doing great.”

“How were you able to seduce Kim Tan?” The other girl wondered. “I want to know how, too.”

“I don’t want to tell you.” Eun Sang still attempted to be kind.

“Hey! Just because Kim Tan and the gangster are behind you, you think you can do anything?” The first girl scolded, walking up and shoving Eun Sang’s shoulder.

“You want me to act like a gangster? Fine, I’ll be a gangster,” Piper sneered, grabbing the first girl by the jacket roughly.

“How bad are things in this world that a gang of little demons is loose?” Choi Young Do drawled, interrupting Piper’s tirade as he walked up to them.

“Choi Young Do, she...” The first girl began, shoving Piper’s hand from her jacket.

“If you think that means you can talk to me, things will be awkward for you in the future.” He interrupted her.

The girl took a step back, knowing she would lose if she attempted to argue. “Let’s go,” she spoke to her friends over her shoulder, and the three girls stalked off.

“Quit traveling around in packs.” He called after them. “You all should to learn to face life on your own, too.”

“Thanks for being my black knight.” Eun Sang told him.

“Who’s a black knight?” He countered. “If I’m the black knight, does that make Kim Tan your prince on a white horse? My face is whiter than his.”

“Should I go?” Piper wondered, beginning to back away.

“No,” both of them replied.

“Okay,” she agreed lamely, avoiding eye contact with Young Do at all costs.

“Hyo Sin Sunbae didn’t take his college exam, did you hear?” Eun Sang went on, linking her arm with Piper to keep her near as she led the way off of the basketball court.

“I’ve always really liked that Sunbae – save for one point in time – but now I think I like him even more.” Young Do mused.

“See?” Eun Sang stated.

“See what?” He countered.

“Even if you’re not threatening me with my secret, we can still talk to each other like this.”

Young Do stopped, turning to face her. “You’re going to come in that fast?! It’s making me feel uncomfortable.”

“I know the feeling,” Piper muttered, grimacing as Eun Sang elbowed her roughly in the ribs.

“It’s just that...I thought maybe it was hard for you to talk about yourself.” Eun Sang shrugged.

Young Do nodded his head in the direction of the girls’ locker room. “You can go on your own from here.”

“Are you dropping us off?” She wondered.

“When I do things for you, you don’t even notice.” He tsked, turning and walking off in the other direction.

“Choi Young Do,” an administrator shouted, stopping Young Do in his tracks. “Come out!”

Young Do’s shoulders moved as he sighed, and he spun around with a false smile plastered on his lips as he sauntered off to follow the administrator.

“Hey,” Piper scolded when she and Eun Sang were alone. “Why didn’t you let me leave?”

“I thought you like him,” Eun Sang defended. “And I feel like I need you as a buffer from time to time.”

“Well, I don’t know how effective I’d be seeing as how I shouted at him that I liked him last night after getting drunk from Myung Soo’s punch!”

 

Eun Sang’s eyes widened. “Really? Oh my god, Piper, I’m so sorry. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“You revealed your dark secret last night,” Piper reminded her. “Why would I load my problems on top of that?”

“Why do you put your feelings second to mine?” Eun Sang questioned seriously.

“What?”

“I keep telling you all of my problems, but you don’t tell me because you don’t want to overload me. I want to help my friend like you help me.”

Piper looked at her friend in muted awe before breaking into a soft smile. “Komawo, Eun Sang-ah.”

Eun Sang grinned, bringing Piper closer. “Come on, let’s get changed.”

///

Piper was walking down the hallways of school, the bathroom pass clutched loosely in her hand. If she was to refrain from being sent to detention for violence against her fellow students – which they deserved from all their gossiping about Eun Sang – hiding out in the bathroom to regain her cool was her only option.

As she walked, a vaguely familiar voice drew her out of her internal monologue.

“It seems your IQ, has nothing to do with your grades.” The voice spoke. “However...you finally beat Tan for the first time.”

Then it clicked, and Piper finally connected the voice to its owner. When she rounded the corner, she was surprised to be face to face with him, and the tall boy standing next to him.

Piper quickly stepped back and bowed. “Hello, Choi Sajang-nim.”

“Ah, yes. Miss McPherson,” President Choi greeted her with what Piper could only assume was his version of warmth. “Have you been well since we last saw each other?”

“Yes, thank you,” she nodded, plastering a smile across her own lips.

“I hope I’ll see your father at the banquet being held for the astronomers of Korea tomorrow night.” He smiled, chuckling lightly at the confused expression on Piper’s face. “It’s being held at Zeus Hotel.”

“Oh, right,” she nodded again. “That’s your hotel. If the banquet is being held there, I’m sure it will be a wonderful event.”

President Choi smiled at the praise. “We’ll try our best. I also heard your father had been offered a position at another observatory; one in New South Wales, am I correct?”

“He was, and it’s a very big opportunity for him,” Piper remarked, wondering if this was President Choi’s way of telling her to get out of his son’s life. However, that didn’t make sense since she and Young Do weren’t involved in the first place. “If he did take the job, it would be good news for my brothers and I, since we wouldn’t have to learn another language.”

“Yes, it does seem like you’ve lived in many different places. How many languages do you know?”

“I know four: French, Italian, Swedish, and Korean.” Piper explained. “Though, I’m not very good at French and Italian anymore. It’s been a while since I’ve spoken them.”

“For the sake of curiosity, what’s your class ranking?” President Choi inquired.

“I’m ranked 29th.” Piper fidgeted slightly as President Choi threw a pointed look at his son, no doubt having heard of his son’s low standing. “Choi Sajang-nim,” Piper interjected, wanting to deflect the tension. “I have to tell you how impressed I am with Choi Young Do’s English. Zeus Hotel must be doing a lot of international business for him to speak it so well. I’m a native speaker and even I get confused by it sometimes, so it shows that Choi Young Do has a lot of potential to excel if he puts his mind to it.”

Both Choi men looked at her in surprise; however, while President Choi’s expression was mixed with pride, Young Do’s was pure amazement. Piper felt the heat creeping up her neck, and she had no doubt her cheeks were turning pink.

“If you’ll excuse me, I should return to class.” Piper told them, giving a final bow to President Choi before rushing down the hall towards her classroom.

‘Idiot, idiot, idiot,’ she mentally scolded herself. ‘Why the hell did you say stuff like that?’

///

Piper did everything she could to avoid Young Do’s gaze as they sat in literature class later that day. Instead, she focused intently on the white board, upon which several titles were written: The Sorrows of Young Werther, The Great Gatsby, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina, Pride and Prejudice.

“Your assignment for the end of term is a group project.” Their literature teacher instructed – Piper having difficulty looking at her as well, now knowing her connection to Hyo Shin. “Choose one of these classic books, and express your opinion on it in a creative and unique way.” She handed out the stack of assignment sheets to one of the students in the front row, who took one from the stack and passed it along. “Write your name under the book of your choice, and make your own groups. From two to four in a group.”

There was a collective groan from the students in the class. “We don’t have time for this.”

“We’ve all read these books when we were younger.” Yoo Rachel spoke up.

“But you’ve changed.” Their teacher insisted. “As the reader changes, the way they see the book will also change.”

“Chan Young, let’s work together.” Lee Bo Na declared excitedly.

“I’ll help you.” He smiled back at his girlfriend.

Bo Na turned around to face Eun Sang, seated behind her. “Want to join us?”

Eun Sang smiled and nodded. “Sure.” She looked over to Piper, momentarily surprised to see Parker in her seat before she remembered Piper had switched seats with her brother. Looking over to Piper’s new seat, Eun Sang waved to get her friend’s attention. “Piper-ah, want to join us?”

“Actually, I think Pip and I are going to pair together,” Parker spoke up.

“Yeah, sorry Eun Sang-ah.” Piper apologized. “But, since Parker and I used to live in France, it would make sense that we’d do Les Miserables, don’t you think?”

Eun Sang didn’t miss the furtive smiles the twins threw at each other, but smiled and agreed all the same.

///

“Who was it?” Eun Sang asked, her arms folded across her chest as Piper stood next to her in the exact same pose. “Which one of you made a group like this?”

Kim Tan and Choi Young Do sat in the café where Eun Sang worked with differing expressions on their faces. Young Do was maintaining a blank, passive stare while Tan looked thoroughly guilty, avoiding the gaze of his girlfriend. Piper had been roped into playing bad cop – or was it good cop, since Eun Sang had started off so harshly – as soon as she had walked in the café to visit her friend.

“I was definitely in a group with Chan Young and Lee Bo Na.” Eun Sang continued. “Choi Young Do, was it you?”

Young Do gestured at Tan, Eun Sang and himself. “A group like this is definitely not my style.”

“Then what is your style?” Eun Sang demanded. Piper was definitely playing good cop.

He held up his fingers, counting off as he listed. “Choi Young Do, Cha Eun Sang, Suzy and Hyuna.”

“Is that supposed to be funny?” Eun Sang demanded. “Kim Tan, what about you?”

“My style is Kim Tan, Cha Eun Sang, Cha Eun Sang, Cha Eun Sang.” Tan answered vehemently.

Both Piper and Young do looked at him with expressions of distaste and disbelief – he was so obvious it was painful – though Tan only latched on to Young Do’s gaze. “What are you looking at?”

“Okay, how about we don’t start another one of your stupid fights,” Piper interjected. “Remember, Eun Sang works here; so let’s try and be on our best behavior, alright?”

“Why are you even here?” Young Do wondered.

“Were you not paying attention in class?” Piper questioned. “Parker and I lived in France, so we’re doing Les Miserables. What we didn’t mention is that we’ve already done a comprehensive essay on it, so Parker’s at home reworking it and translating it.”

“That’s cheating,” Tan insisted.

“Off of our own work,” Piper clarified. “It’s not like your moral scruples are any better, so don’t try to be all high and mighty with me. Besides, what is our teacher going to do, call our old school in France? I don’t think so.”

“Why is Parker doing the work?” Eun Sang wondered.

“He owes me after all the time he’s been a….what’s the word in Korean?” Piper wondered, shaking her head and opting to use the English word instead. “Douchebag.”

“That’s a curse word, isn’t it?” Eun Sang grinned.

Piper beamed and nodded.

“Hey,” Young Do interjected, annoyed at being ignored.

“Hey!” The girls interrupted.

“Both of you listen up.” Eun Sang resumed her interrogative voice. “Right now I’m at work and I’m very busy, so don’t give me any problems. I know there’s no way you’d read this book even if I asked, so I prepared this instead.” She grabbed the headphones connected to the laptop on the table in front of the boys. “I will read the book myself. You guys just watch the movie. I expect you to contribute at least one word.” She stepped forward, putting an earbud in each of their ears. “If you fail to participate, I will remove your name from the project, so keep that in mind. Look at the screen and don’t fight. Just pretend you’re each in your very own universe.”

She pressed the play button and turned to her friend, “Watch them like a hawk.”

Piper nodded, miming to Tan and Young Do that she was watching them in a manner similar to Robert De Niro as she took her seat at a table nearby. However, it didn’t last long. As Young Do and Tan sipped on their newly acquired drinks, they didn’t stop staring at Eun Sang no matter how many times Piper snapped her fingers and pointed at the laptop in front of them.

“Your drinks are ready.” Eun Sang informed a customer as she set the drinks on the counter.

“Excuse me,” the customer snapped. “I said two coconut juice drinks.”

“I’m sorry.” Eun Sang apologized, bowing lightly at the customer.

Tan and Young Do rose from their seats, ready to take on the rude customer. However, an icy glare from Eun Sang and Piper standing to block their path with a dangerous glare of her own caused the boys to sink slowly back into their chairs. Eun Sang repeated Piper’s De Niro-esque ‘I’m watching you’ gesture at the boys, and the shrunk further into their seats at Piper returned to hers, a warning finger pointed at them.

AS Eun Sang apologized once more and went to redo the customer’s drinks, two suited men walked in and strode up next to the table.

“The Chairman ordered us to bring you back.” One of the suits informed him.

Young Do pulled out the earbud and sighed. “Look at Jeguk Group’s scale. Is this just because you left the house?”

Tan sat motionless, not responding. He glanced over to Eun Sang, who looked worriedly in his direction. Piper stood up once more, walking as close as she dared to the table. Eun Sang came out from behind the counter, standing next to Piper as they watch the scene unfold.

“The Chairman said we can use force if you don’t cooperate.” The suit went on.

“Are you kidding?” Piper interjected. “He authorized violence against his own son? You guys must have some seriously dubious morals to think that kind of behavior is okay.”

The men ignored her, striding around the table and grabbing Tan by the arms and preparing to lift him out of his seat.

“Let go.” Tan instructed quietly. “I’ll go with you.”

“If you need my Judo skills, you could try asking me.” Young Do spoke monotone beside him.

“I don’t think so for today.” Tan informed him, getting up and shoving his hands in his pockets as he looked to Eun Sang. “Don’t worry. I’m just going home a little earlier.” He cast another glare down at Young Do. “You’d better not flirt with her.”

Tan turned to the bodyguards and grabbed his school bag. “Let’s go.” He ordered, leading them out of the café.

Eun Sang watched them, concern written clearly on her face. In frustration, Young Do threw the earbuds on the table in front of them as Piper pulled her buzzing phone from her pocket, swiping the screen to see the text message she had been sent.

Eun Sang darted over to the “Boss, I need to leave work half an hour early today. I’ll work until closing tomorrow. I’m sorry.”

“Did he just get dragged away?” Her boss asked instead of responding to her apology. “Is he a rich family’s son?”

Eun Sang didn’t reply as she took off her work apron.

“Eun Sang, I’m sorry,” Piper apologized. “I have to go to the dry cleaners to pick up my parent’s outfits for this big dinner tomorrow.”

Eun Sang nodded, a small, understanding smile coming across her face. As Piper headed out, she threw a final look at Young Do.

“Don’t do anything dumb,” she cautioned him. “Or rude.”