2010 : 4

A Beautiful Nightmare

YEAR 2010: HOOKED

 

IT was a raid.

Being the assistant of Professor Kim and Boss Kim at once didn’t really give me enough time to juggle between my personal life and professional life. Multiple meetings, multiple responsibilities, multiple tasks.

I was accounted for the studio’s whole movement while I cater for the atelier’s needs. I’ve been given some clients also, whose perception were a little bit misleading seeing how they treated me as their slave for they know no boundary of time regarding their communication with me. Great income equals being available for twenty four hours it seems.

Should I have no classes at the institute, I juggled my stay either at Henry’s or Alex’ flat in Seoul due to my demanding job to oversee the studio and to cater the clients’ needs from the atelier. Usually I spent my day at the studio and night at the atelier; otherwise I would be cooped up under my bed inside the institute’s dorm.

Checked, checked and checked. I deserved a long holiday and a raise for being able to hold the ground in front of the cocky clients. From all of my clients, the one that I just bid my farewell to could be given the award as the most annoying, greediest and most ambitious one. Barely hanging as the top of the food chain to enter the untouchable link, they already aimed to be the most untouchable of the untouchables. Sighing became my ritual every time I finished the meeting with those snobbish clients from the atelier.

I pulled my coat tighter; it wasn’t the cold that bugged me but my conscience. I’ve come to the fourth, only the fourth and I’ve already in the brink of almost giving up. I shouldn’t have let the greed to consume me, should I stay humble maybe I wouldn’t end up being promoted to work for the atelier.

I realized it all along, my biggest weakness but I let myself drowned into a delusion that somehow I am ambitious and money driven. It wasn’t money that I after, it was recognition.

I was never the golden child, never good enough to be the apple of my parents’ eyes. In fact, I had nothing alike to live and be proud with. I was lacking, as their eyes always conjured, in everything that I do. I was nothing, not in the least bit, in compared with the first born son.

When I was given the chance to prove my existence toward my big family, I paid no attention to details. All I see was a way to deem my existence worthy enough to be noticed, years spent for being trampled over my gender and position within my big family sharpened my steel heart and darkened my sight.

I should’ve settled down with just managing the studio, enhancing the unusual gift trusted upon me. But no, I forced myself to be among those people whose sense of art is exquisitely striking. I strived to be the trusted one for Boss Kim instead of Professor Kim because I knew once I got the hang of it; I might get the ticket to finally breathe easy. Everybody value something special, so were my big family and my parents were no exception to that, I have to succeed no matter how and the atelier was the only shortcut dangling in front of me.

I can’t stand those people reeks with money and authority, I was on my fourth client with the atelier when I stumbled over my own leg and laughed for nothing.

 

*******

 

It was a raid, a painful one.

Never to be lenient to my impulsiveness, that I learned the hard way. One second I was on my own walking down the windy path, another second I got bumped by a figure draped in red. I crouched down to get my scattered belongings on the floor only to have my right hand stomped by someone’s foot. My own painful shriek got outdone by someone’s hysterical scream.

The next second I found myself in between the brawl of three, me trying to prevent something horrible to the figure draped in red from the man who stomped over my right hand before. The last time I checked, it was 1:30 AM.

I didn’t really  remember in details, all I could pointed out was just fragments of me tensing over a woman’s yelping for help before I somehow lose the ground with the last thing that my ears caught was the shout of a man while my eyes hazily took the blurry view in.

I gained my sense back in no time, ability to hear came first. The room was filled with buzz sounds. I noticed a conversation was going on, two people at the very least with weird tapping sound here and there, creepy screech and beeping tone.

Another sense of mine kicked in, my mouth proved itself to the world. Groaning or rambling, I wasn’t sure but it perfectly shut the annoying buzz around as well as the weird tapping and creepy screech but the beeping tone still went on.

I got no problem with my sense of touch of course; I felt a light tap on my leg as well as light brush on my cheek. A warm gush of wind made its way to my left cheek replacing the light brush.

“Miss Kim?” I heard it. “Are you awake?”

I willed my eyes to open slowly. There were at least three people standing close to me, one of them being the owner of that familiar voice. Another head came out suddenly and monopolized me for the next one hour. Series of check up from my head to toe was presented before I was granted my personal space.

It wasn’t that long, I was only granted five minutes to rule my personal space when Kim Jae Joong came again into my view. He looked disturbed, like really disturbed unlike the last image I had of him months ago when he drove me back to the studio.

He spent two hours rotating between worrying and lecturing for my state all while I wished for water to quench my thirst. Of course I didn’t get water but instead a series of adjective being thrown by him; he said that I’m such a masochist, egoistic, freakish and idiotic creature and he even applauded me for that with a scowl. According to him, I served myself on a silver platter to be consumed by the dread of the night. According to his manager, I was exposed to danger. According to his bodyguard, I was attacked by a drunken mugger. Nothing beats the fury of knowing that the figure draped in red actually worked together with the man who stomped on my right hand though; I was their target from the very beginning apparently.

I lost all my expensive belongings, of course, having no track of news from the outside world as well when I laid down on the hospital bed for three days worrying about the aftermath: piles of tasks on top of my desk, the studio’s wellbeing and the atelier’s clients.

For all the days spent on top of hospital’s bed, I have no visitor. So I found it really weird when a bulky man whom I recognized as the bodyguard of the superstar was there when I was discharged.

“Here.” His bodyguard shoved me a blackberry and a card to which I presumed to be access card. “I have no say in this, just press one to get the arrangement’s details. Meanwhile, I’m going to deal with all the administrative issue. I’ll be back.”

I’ve taken a decision to just hijack my idiots’ flat and forced them to cater me till I could get the cast away from my left leg and right hand, though it all got down the drain once I pressed the speed dial.

“I’m not going to take no from you as I’m not going to give you the chance to properly talk back to me.” That airy and velvety voice rattled. “My sisters are in Milan, there’s no way I would let you occupy that studio as your lodging. No. Your dorm at the institute can’t be considered a better place either. The doctor clearly told me to make sure you won’t burden your leg too much for smooth recovery, and let’s not forget that your right hand also. Therefore as your temporary guardian, you are to oblige to whatever I arranged for you.”

“Don’t take my kindness for granted, Miss Kim.” The voice continued. “I would be very angry and hurt and feel humiliated if you do. Besides, we do know each other pretty well now so it’s not really a weird thing for friends to help each other right? I’ll see you soon!”

I felt a bit misplaced; to be bidden goodbye from the nurses and doctors there merrily as they all referred me as Miss Kim. I winced whenever they gave me their support, and almost groaned out loud when I found out that I was admitted with that name. Kim Jae Joong is really something, what the hell was he up to?

 

*******

 

INBOX

Earlier this week

 

Henry (Nov 22 at 10:58 PM)

to me

 

Dear Karin,

I can’t handle antsy Alex, don’t have the strength to block her will in ringing the police. She is pretty much serious to report you as a missing person. is going down should you not contact any of us as soon as possible. Just where have you been into without any news like this?

We’re worried, girl. We couldn’t even ask Professor Kim because she’s on leave for three weeks, and we don’t have her contact. Visited Designer’s Den but the receptionist didn’t even know about your whereabouts, weren’t you supposed to at least inform your work place that you’re away?

You clearly know how I hate using email as a mean of communication between friends but somehow here I am with this stupid email sent to you. Seriously, why did you switched off your mobile?

Where ever you are right now, I cling unto my own belief that you’re fine on your own. But as we all know, Alex never shared the same point of view with me.

 

Getting annoyed,

Henry Lau

 

Last week

 

Jennifer (Nov 20 at 11:25 PM)

to Nidya, Sasha, me

 

Dear Nidya,

Hold your . We’ll camp in front of YG building next year. Karin isn’t someone who would associate herself with idols. That’s too troublesome for her.

 

Sincerely the best,

Jennifer Ruslan

 

Henry                              ASAP – Girl, contact us. ASAP. Seriously                             Nov 20

Alex                                 Last Chance – I’m giving you deadline                             Nov 20

Nidya                               Re: Hello – Hey Jenn, I honestly don’t c                             Nov 19

Sasha                              Re: Hello  Dear All, ermahgad I'm dyin                            Nov 19

Jennifer                          Re: Hello – Dear Karin, We’re flying to S                           Nov 19

 

Earlier November

 

Nidya                               Hello – Dear Karin, How’s Seoul treatin                             Nov 18

Henry                              Missing You – Girl, kinda missing you                            Nov 18

Alex                                 Spring Exhibition – Your name came                           Nov 17

Alex                                 Reply! – I swear I’m gonna ring the poli                             Nov 17

Alex                                 Seriously! – Are you being serious now                            Nov 15

Henry                              Greeting – Girl, been missing ya. Heard                           Nov 15

Min Ah                             Hi! – Hello, My name is Choi Min Ah. I’m                             Nov 13

Alex                                 Where are you? – Where the hell are                            Nov 12

Cynthia                           Monthly Report – Dear Karin, How’s                             Nov 11

 

 

SENT

 

Karin (Nov 24 at 8:55 PM)

to Henry, Alex

 

Hey guys, sorry for my AWOL.

I’m OK. Sprained my ankle and my right hand a little bit, lost my phone and wallet. No worries though, I’m almost healed. Will be joining you guys as soon as I can.

 

Regards,

Karin

 

*******

 

“Is that enough?” He asked and I nodded. “You’re one stubborn kid, aren’t you? Just tell them what really happened to you.”

I gave him stinky eyes and he chuckled. He pushed away the macbook before hovering over me and started to rearrange the pillows behind me, he also adjusted the blanket to cover my lower body. He went out of the room and came back with a glass of water to which he pushed it to my lips; he hummed while I took a sip.

“Okay, shall we reply the mail from your other three friends in Indonesia?” He asked as he plopped down beside me.

“No.” I replied. “That can wait till I get released from the cast.”

I didn’t tell him that I still have other email, for working purpose. Covering all those activities within the studio at Itaewon, I probably had around fifty mails inside my inbox for sure.

He frowned. “It’s going to be another week for that.”

I shrugged. By next week, Professor Kim will be able to do something about this mama hen named Kim Jae Joong. He should be born as a woman instead of a man, seeing how he didn’t mind donning those cute aprons –courtesy of his fans- while he cooked for the both of us.

“Well, your call.” He hummed. “Alright, drink some more. After that, time to bed.”

I gave him another stinky eyes to which he grinned over. Nevertheless, I got tucked in exactly at 9:00 PM just like the rest of the past two weeks I spent under his care inside his apartment away from the world with these four white walls hiding my existence, a black LCD TV that was set to play Hunter X Hunter series that I missed out from my childhood time to accompany me throughout my whole day when he was gone.

He would be a doting mother, an extreme one at that, judging by the way he dictated my activities for the past two weeks. I wasn’t allowed to roam free, practically wasn’t allowed to leave the bed. He would fuss over me, and busied himself for taking care of my needs to the point of taking some day off from his schedule. I almost wanted to snort at him: get a girlfriend to spoil!

Time to time he would bring some of his team over, but the one who persistently came was the coordinator, a pretty friendly and odd one. I called her Mimi and she beamed whenever I greeted, new BFF found.

Throughout my stay there, I went through several phases: awkward, embarrassing, awkward, annoying, tiring, frustrating, and annoyingly surrendering.

That night though, I think we were getting back into awkward as he suddenly cooed and kissed my forehead gently when I didn’t fight back his resolution to be my mother. Time paused as I stared at him, he blinked and coughed before he uttered some kind of ‘good night’ and scurried away from the room leaving me in daze.

It was safe to say that we’re both having regression taking control the day after, dark circles spotted.

When Professor Kim came back from her Milan trip, she fetched me from his apartment. A relief sigh left my lips; I thought I was finally free from this mother hen’s strong grip but only to end up in another misery of Kim Jae Joong’s strong grip.

 “I’ll miss you.” He said. “You know, I never had the chance to be a big brother.”

Professor Kim chuckled. “Don’t worry, I’ll lend her to you. Thank you for taking care of my dearest assistant, baby brother. We’re going now.”

I bowed and thanked him.

“You’re not going to say good bye to me?” He asked with his widened eyes. Didn’t I bow already? I did it again, twice now and thanked him again. He tsk-ed, “Didn’t I tell you to be comfortable with me?”

I winced, having the same statement ringing inside my head again and again like a lullaby. He said that sentence like a hundred times already.

What I didn’t expect was that he pulled me in a two seconds hug as he pat my back gently whispering, “Get well soon, Miss Kim.”

I became rigid in an instant, blinking. Somehow he managed to push me inside the car, even successfully strapped the seat belt on me while bidding his farewell with his sister.

His farewells ended with a hug and kiss on his sister’s cheek before he walked to my side and landed a kiss on my cheek. My rigid body became even more rigid. His words echoing in my ears, “Oppa will miss you so much.”

Remember how my friend, Jennifer, perfectly described me as the one who find it troublesome to be associated with idols? Well I gotta bit that back when I found myself not feeling the least bit annoyed and reluctant when Professor Kim asked me to deliver something to him the next month.

Even when my heart went thumping like crazy, toes curling and suddenly feeling nauseous, I still willingly go and visit him under the disguise of being their family’s private messenger.

I dare not to stay long and chat, there’s still no cure to my impulsiveness so I slipped in and out as fast as lighting. Just a glimpse of him, the memory of his lips on my forehead and cheek as well as his bold statement of calling himself ‘oppa’ came rushing through my mind resulting in me having a throbbing heart. I wonder when will these kinds of symptoms worn out? I blame it on my ty life even more, my family’s custom to be exact.

It was a raid, indeed.

 


 

[A/N]

Been busy, sorry. New research materials came up at office.

Anyway, I've been through what our OC here experienced, being under an acquantaince's care while I was abroad. The chapter above is the real adaptation of my real life experience minus the family background matter of course. No big deal, there are still kind people out there.

Hunter X Hunter, one of my favourite animation.