2011 : 3

A Beautiful Nightmare

YEAR 2011: COOL FOOL

 

 

HANILKWAN is the usual restaurant to go whenever Professor Kim decided to have lunch with her sisters. She just favors this restaurant over the others, but never really picks the place as the meeting venue for her special clients. She opted for sky restaurants in that case, Yeouido’s mostly, some s about the sky and the special clients with its uptight image – high society.

“It’s a family restaurant. No business talks should happen here.”

As often as I was being given the chance to dine or lunch there I saw numerous old people in suits shaking hands in contrast with Professor Kim’s opinion and intention.

“Order whatever you want.” She told me, her eyes never left the menu. “I’ll just get the usual as always.”

The sisters arrived one by one, and this time instead of just having lunch with the fifth and seventh sisters, the fourth decided to join with her little bundle of joy. The group squealed in delight, even the stoic Professor Kim melted at the face of the little bundle of joy called Bae Hyun Ah.

While they all scooted closer to the little bundle of joy, the mother actually scooted closer to me and basically got to know more about me. I’m no stranger anymore, I guessed, in the eyes of Professor Kim’s family seeing how often I intruded their family gatherings, and actually cater for two of their members.

Originally, the plan was to have me helping Kim Su Young’s boutique over their newest collection through their window display right after the lunch which was also the basic reason of why I tagged along and intruded their family gathering.

But then Kim Yoo Seon came and thought better, to have me cater her photography studio as well since both venues happened to be in a very close range of neighbourhood. Professor Kim didn’t really show her disagreement, she let everyone claimed their claw on me. Not that I’m complaining, I had nothing to do anyway since no great deadlines lining up.

 

*******

 

I fixed my hair a little bit before I swung the restroom door open, only to be shocked by a confused tall male with a crying toddler on his arm. The flailing girl caught my attention; Bae Hyun Ah was wriggling her tiny fingers pointing at my direction.

I heard a sigh which followed by a light grunt made by the tall male. “No, no sweetie. Uncle couldn’t step inside the woman’s restroom.”

That voice, I would be able to recognize it right away. Those airy yet velvety type of voice and the soothing effect. Kim Jae Joong was standing before me as I grew stoic all of a sudden. A woman bumped past me and that’s when little Hyun Ah decided to scream her lungs out effectively making her beloved uncle tensed and stop his way into the male restroom. I heard him gasped and went panicky shushing the toddler down.

Hyun Ah made some funny gargles, and stretched out both of her cute arms to my direction. Her body angled in a very dangerous way that I quickly stepped in closer to take her out of her uncle’s hold.

“Come here, Hyun Ah.” I said as I pulled her to me. Her uncle finally let go once he turned and recognized me. “It’s alright, I’ll take care of her.”

Quickly I took over the bag filled with the toddler’s necessities from her uncle and got inside the restroom once again. It turned out that Hyun Ah didn’t really feel well with her diaper, I had to change it with new one and let her played with water a little bit before we got out.

To my surprise, Kim Jae Joong was still there. He didn’t stretch out his hand to take Hyun Ah back, he touched his nape instead. He looked bashful in my eyes, something that I usually did whenever he was around. He seemed to know about that quirky side of mine too because he laughed a little and bit his lower lip, “I guess handling kids is much more preferable than dealing with me, huh Miss Kim?”

I had to blink to that, what was he trying to say?

“I mean, you don’t look so distant with Hyun Ah sprawling all over you.” He said.

I let out a small grunt as Hyun Ah decided to pat my cheek a little too hard; she kissed me sloppily and giggled. How could I not melted and joined her in her little fits of laughter? Her uncle even couldn’t stop himself from becoming a fool for her.

“Let me take the bag.” His hand came in contact with mine as he eased himself from taking over the bag that was slanged unto my body. Numerous times we bumped ourselves in the process, though I felt something churning inside me still I didn’t really troubled by it like how usually it did.

“You know, I’m curious as to how you managed to come and go without me noticing? Not even my friends could notice when you slip into the studio.” He played with Hyun Ah’s fingers as he continued. “Suddenly it’s just there, on top of the coffee table, whatever it is that noona asked you to give to me.”

Usually I’ll feel disturbed as to how close he has been that he actually invaded my personal space, but somehow I felt okay. Maybe perhaps he has his eyes focused on the happy toddler whose face was facing him as I strolled closer to our reserved table.

“Yah Miss Kim,” he nudged me with his fingers, “why are you not saying anything? Don’t tell me you lost the chance to interrupt me again?”

I stopped at my track and looked at him; he wouldn’t let that go even after a year has passed huh? He chuckled and ruffled my hair, but Hyun Ah swatted his hand away with a cute growl. I chuckled as he sulked over Hyun Ah favoring me more than him.

 

*******

 

I should feel something, right? Maybe being stuck in some sort of frenzy state? Toes curling and stuffs. But I felt none of it even when Hyun Ah decided to hook his head with mine as she giggles and gargles. Her uncle grunted but ended up in rows of laughter while I just smiled.

That little bundle of joy was really fond of me, my heart swelled up with pride. Then happiness followed, and genuine relief came at once since I realized that I didn’t even make a fool out of myself within his presence.

But my relief went away as fast as it came. When we all said our good bye and decided to part ways, Kim Jae Joong came to face me with his hands stretched toward me. My impulsiveness took control without me knowing as I shook his hand with mine. A second later, his car key came from my right side.

He looked at me as I blinked. I had hope for the floor to open wide and swallow me whole because I was dying of shame. He was stretching his hand for his car key from the valet boy, why didn’t I think of that?

I was in the middle of cursing at myself when he pulled me close and with his other hand, he patted me lightly. “Okay, so I take it that you’re more of a bro than a sis. More of the cool type huh, why didn’t I know it? Gosh, I need to really pay attention.” He commented while I grew stiff, didn’t really know whether to be happy or sad.

He then slung his arm around my neck as he waved good bye to the rest of his sisters before he crouched down to level his mouth on my left ear, “The next time you come to the studio, I’ll catch you bro. See you!”

With that he ruffled my hair once again before he got inside his car and sped off. My heart beat went up high, my breath hitched. Professor Kim looked at me with her left eyebrow raised up high, she was probably asking about why the hell I became a stone. A slap from Hyun Ah on my cheek was what got me back into motion as I quickly slid into the car with Hyun Ah and her mother in tow.

Did that mean he would finally stop calling me ‘Miss Kim’? But the prospect of having him calling me ‘bro’ doesn’t really sit well with me too.

 

 

 

[A/N]

Don't we all have that kind of resolution and principle that was bound to be disregarded? For me it's about diet. I promise I would go on a diet, tomorrow. It's tomorrow. Tomorrow.