2011 : 2

A Beautiful Nightmare

YEAR 2011: SERENE

 

THERE was a loud shriek that silenced the low murmur inside the class where I happened to be following. All of our head turned to see the source only to be guided to the cause which was located right in front of the class, the projector was supposed to show some presentation material for us but the projected screen showed us something not even remotely close to our main topic of that day.

Instead of some construction details, we saw some kind of image collages. It was marvelous actually; the creativity was really on point and not to mention the time spent only to finish that kind of art, one could see just how bright the future of the creator. If only she could spend the same amount of dedication toward this course, I’m sure my classmates and roommates, Min Ah, wouldn’t receive such a bloody stare from the most killer practitioner who happened to be our homeroom professor.

Min Ah stuttered on her apologies, hastily pressed something on his laptop. Should she not gone panic, I think with just a mere click on the ‘x’ button would have sufficed. Poor Min Ah, her laptop failed to understand her command and now it malfunctioned.

While she stumbled on her fingers cursing profanities here and there, I received a nudge from my right side. One of my idiots who happened to take the same course with me signaled something, any minute now our homeroom professor would burst.

Apparently we weren’t that hard on praying because right at that time, Min Ah’s mobile phone chose to ring proudly. I swear I could hear everybody their breath together, switching off your mobile phone or at least have it on silent mode is the fundamental rule.

We all love that historical drama starred by Park Yoo Chun, Park Min Young, Song Joong Ki and Yoo Ah In, who doesn’t? Still that doesn’t mean that we should parade it out loud just like what happened to Min Ah. As if the collages and her ringtone weren’t enough, something snapped and her laptop began to play some song to accompany us on our thrilling ride.

We heard firm echoes of tacking heels before the light was switched on, other firm echoes of tacking heels again and then the projector was switched off, the screen rolled up with a loud thud making everyone flinched.

Min Ah stood there timidly, eerily the song that her laptop chose to play before didn’t give off that mellow mood but somber one instead. A faint thud could be heard, the laptop has been shut down forcefully by our homeroom professor. Silence filled the air.

“Should you just pour out only ten percent of that dedication you had with that collages of yours to this subject I teach, I believe you won’t be seeing my face next year.” A sharp intake of breath followed the sentence as we all hold our breath for what’s to come. “Your choice of song is epic, Miss Hwang. Indeed, for you it’s goodbye, for me it’s waiting.”

I closed my eyes as Min Ah let out a muffled sobs. This subject that we all have taken wouldn’t be available for the second semester due to the professor’s schedule; the only way to redeem the credit should we fail is by retaking the subject next year.

“Ah…Found you.” My eyes snapped opened upon hearing our homeroom professor’s steel voice, she isn’t the type to linger after throwing the bomb. “Miss Karin, I trust you to wrap this Seoul Institute of The Arts scandal up.”

And with that, the devil left our class room. A very awkward silence conquered the classroom for ten seconds before Min Ah let out her agony shriek and cue for me to bark some orders here and there before dismissing the class as quick as I can.

 

*******

 

"That was one kind of a sick joke.” An opinion of my other idiot was just like another fuel to the roaring fire that I’ve been through. We barely managed to go through some kind of major crisis the day before at the studio and now Min Ah screwed up, I wonder what would the rest of the day offer to me?

“Something is missing.” The other idiot voiced out her mind as if the topic is really that important for us to hover on and on. “I sensed something but I couldn’t quite grab it. There’s something, I’m sure.”

“Min Ah is a certified fan of Kim Jae Joong from JYJ.” I rolled my eyes and tsk-ed, it’s easy to follow my two idiots’ trail of mind. “Now can we just switch topic?”

I could see some imaginary lightbulbs right on my two idiots’ head when I submited the conclusion. My intention to switch topic was granted but not that satisfactory, the topic swerved into another things linked with our homeroom professor’s rumour.

You see, our homeroom professor is a very reserved person, I even doubt that she has a great relationship with her fellow professors in the institute. The nickname ‘Ice Queen’ were given to her not without a reason.

“So that’s why Professor Kim became sensitive! She isn’t ready to have her secret lover being shared with her student!” My female idiot shouted in glee to which I and the other male idiot shushed her down in order to not have the attention of the entire canteen on us.

“Damn it, Alex!” The other male idiot hissed, “Now people are watching!”

I shook my head, what could you expect from the fearless Alex? My female idiot is a wellknown party animal, her tendency to not filter everything that came into her mind is incomparable. As someone with the mix of Dutch-Korean and Chinese-Indonesian bloodline, you would expect a human with superior gene. She lived up to that expectation for her look, and only that sadly. Her mind? It’s safe to say that she lose one or two screw that made her a little bit cuckoo and I love her for it.

“Let them!” Alex threw her hair like what regal always do. “They’re just envious, right Karin?”

I chose not to respond and kept my blank stare to which resulting in Alex throwing a fit at me, she has lots of energy for that I’m sure. I had a red mark on my right arm right away.

“But seriously though, it makes sense don’t you think? For someone as busy as Professor Kim, she seemed to know exactly the title of the songs and actually recognized the face on the screen.” Alex began again. “What do you think, Henry darling?”

“Well, I supposed.” My male idiot shrugged nonchalantly. Out of the two of them, he is more sane. Although out of the three of us, I would be the trump. “I’m more interested with your roommate, Rin. So tell me, the chance of the likeliness for me to woo her? Ack!”

Alex did a good job on smacking some sense into his head. You see, Henry is no doubt a very reliable loyal friend of us through thick and thin although he prefers it to be through only fun time. His thoughfulness of having everyone on equal stance never cease to amaze me for he always find a reason to woo the girl species, whoever and whatever the girl might be. For a mix of Hongkongnese and Taiwanese, one would have thought that he is one conservative figure. Nu-uh, he holds the same Canadian flag with Alex.

As soon as I was granted a good laugh, the price awating for me to pay. My mobile phone rang with the name Professor Kim popping out on the screen.

 

*******

 

Was it because the air conditioner suddenly switched on full blast or was it because of my dearest boss slash professor’s stoic demeanor that the room looked colder than it usually is?

“From the scale of one to ten, how bad was my anger management earlier?” Professor Kim swiveled her chair to face me as soon as my hand knocked the door. She gave me her bored look to which people would usually assume as her annoyed look. “How’s Min Ah?”

I smiled, despite her cold demeanor, the Professor Kim that I know actually is really far from a cold hearted person that she portrayed. She cares for the mere me, a legitimate proof, no?

“For a girl like her to waste her time worshipping this country’s idol, I just couldn’t accept it.” Professor Kim blew a heavy breath out and fixed her shirt. “She has a bright future, I’m sure of it. Don’t you think so?”

I nodded, my roommate is really talented. She possesses the creativity of a true artist, the only thing that made me jealous of her. I don’t have that kind of creativity you know, my kind of creativity is something else.

“She is even better than some of our staff at the studio,” Professor Kim tilted her head as she furrowed her eyebrow. “That’s why it’s such a waste for her talent and passion to be directed towards those animated robots-“

“Your brother,” I intercepted. “It’s the collages of your brother, professor.”

Professor Kim raised her fingers, “-who doesn’t even know that Min Ah exists-”

“Min Ah can be categorized into the fan section, and I believe your brother will admit the existence of his faithful fan.” I countered.

Professor Kim narrowed her eyes on me. “-personally.”

Well, I must tilt my head to that and bit my lip in order to hide my reply. But my professor seems to see through me as we often spent nights together drowned in heaps of deadlines.

“Don’t you dare to offer her the golden ticket to meet her god.” Professor Kim sternly said. “I’ve had enough headache with lots of Min Ah before, imagine the real nuisance that I have to face should you present the chance to her.”

I had my fair share of chuckle before being glared by my professor. “I’ll personally kick you out of my studio should you turn your loyalty over, you understand?” She said while narrowing her eyes.

“Yes, professor.” I nodded, couldn’t help but to smile wide.

When I first came to this institute, through the seniors I gathered some wellknown rumour about our homeroom professor and her relationship with one of the top idol of this country. Everybody has his/her fair share of information regarding this stuff but none can ascertain the truth behind this rumour.

None, except me.

“Professor,” I called out and waited till I get all of her whole attention through her sharp eyes. “Rather than keeping your anger in check, I think it’s better to keep your fluster in check whenever he is being mentioned.”

Professor Kim raised her left eyebrow taunting me. Just like her who is able to see through me, me too, I’m able to see through her. Our relationship is just like that, relatable. She wasn’t fuming with anger earlier when Min Ah’s incident happened, she was fuming to hide her fluster away.

We conducted a silent stare for the next four to five seconds before I broke it, “They have been rooting more on the percentage of him being your secret lover.”

And with that came the groan filled with agony from my dearest professor slash boss slash my guardian representative there.