Day 6

Getting to Know You

            Roffy and Yongguk left their new son to play on his own as they decided to throw him a mini celebration. “This is for lasting through the night and to many more days and years to come,” Yongguk said. “Do you think we should make carrot cake?”

            She shook her head. “That would be too clichéd. You don’t want our son thinking that we’re boring and not creative, right?”

            “I mean, we called him Sniffles…”

            “You called him that.”

            Yongguk flashed her a pleased grin. “Meet Sniffles, the future Prince of Wails.”

            Roffy threw back her head and let out a loud groan. “Not that again. I swear, I’m going to ban you from the room.”

            “You can’t,” he deadpanned.             “We haven’t done anything yet.”      

            She blushed furiously and turned away. “How about we make cheesecake?”

            “Cheesecake?” He asked her and she nodded. “That’s your favorite?” Then she heard him mutter something like, “Just like Daehyun,” and that didn’t sound like a compliment.

            She tapped him. “Hey, Mr. Bang, is there something wrong with my taste?”

            “Not at all. It’s just the years I’ve lived with Daehyun has turned me off cheesecake. But I suppose if we make it together, I can like it. As long as you stuff it with your love.” He smiled cheesily at her and she shook her head.

            “Is there even a supermarket near the beach house?”

            “Of course. How did you think I made you breakfast the other day? You know, one of the five laws of transfiguration is that you cannot make food appear out of thin air. Professor McGonagall said so.”

            “Oh gosh, you’re quoting Harry Potter. Mom, you married me off to a loser!”

            “Hey, I’m a beautiful loser. Now get over here. Let’s go buy the ingredients.”

           The two of them walked around the supermarket, with Roffy pushing the cart and Yongguk checking his list. “Did we get the Graham crackers?”

            She peered into the cart. “Yep, first thing we grabbed.”

            “We also need granulated and powdered sugar, whatever those are.”

            She cringed. “This is getting to be more and more complicated.”

            “It’s not. Trust me. Himchan has made it a few times for Daehyun.”

            Roffy looked at him and smiled. “Do you miss doing your job?”

            Yongguk glanced up in surprise at the question and nodded. “I do actually. But, that doesn’t mean the time I spend with you is any less precious. It’s time I moved on. I won’t be able to do as many concerts and so much performing now that I’m a married man. It’s all about the studio work and productions now.”

            She picked up the container of sour cream and checked the expiration date. “You know, I looked up some of your music and it’s all really good. I don’t mind if you need to go away to promote once in a while. Just don’t make it every day.”

            A slow smile spread across his face. “Really?”

            She punched him in the arm. “Yes, really. I don’t want to be a dream wrecker.”

            Impulsively, Yongguk grabbed her and hugged her, kissing her cheek. “You’re the very best.”

            A couple of ladies walking down the aisle looked at the two of them and smiled. “How cute, newlyweds.”

            A more cynical, older lady groused, “They haven’t been married long enough. They’re still not tired of each other.”

            Yongguk chuckled softly into Roffy’s ear as he kissed her hair. “I think we can prove that lady wrong.”

            Back home, the kitchen was a mess. She was mixing the cream cheese and beating in the salt and vanilla extract. On her other side, Yongguk was making the crust. She watched him stir in the sugar and salt into the graham crumbs and carefully cover the bottom of the pan with the concoction. The powdered sugar managed to fly out of the packaging and dusted their hair and faces.

            After the cheesecake was placed into the oven, Yongguk came over and stuck out his tongue, across her lips. She jolted, unused to the intimate actions, and he grinned. “Mmm, your lips taste good.”

            “I hope the cheesecake tastes good. Such a shame Sniffles can’t really taste some.”

            Yongguk smiled and gently tossed a celery stick into the pen, watching the bunny play with it and carry it in its mouth. Its jaw worked vigorously as it chewed. “Well we can celebrate for him.”

            After the cake was finished, Yongguk took the chocolate syrup he had added at the last minute and drizzled it over the cake. Roffy inhaled the sweet scent and he stood. “Ta-dah! Now we put it in the fridge and then we’ll have dessert.”

            He pointed upstairs. “I’ll make dinner. You can go take a shower and get cleaned up.”     

            Roffy looked at him, with his hands on his apron, and smiled. “You’re quite the house husband.”

            Yongguk wiggled his eyebrows. “This is just the honeymoon. Afterwards, you’ll be taking care of me for the rest of our lives.”