Day 16

Getting to Know You

            Yongguk parked the car and smiled when Roffy jumped up and down in excitement. “How old are you again?”

            “Shush. I’m happy. I’ve been dying to go to an aquarium in the longest time.”

            He bowed a full ninety degrees. “I am your genie and you only have one wish left. Your wish is my command.”

            “One? What was the second one?”

            “You mean the first one. Getting me as your husband.” He ducked as she reached over to flick him.

            “You’re gross,” she told him and skipped towards the entrance.

            The aquarium was filled with parents taking their children on a day out and the two felt a little out of place. “Don’t you think we’re missing something?”

            “Like what?” she asked him absentmindedly, her eyes focused on the great white shark that dominated the entire tank. She watched it in awe as it opened its mouth and showed off the massive rows of teeth.

            “Cute, isn’t it?” Yongguk asked her. When she turned to look at him, he snapped his teeth at her and Roffy wrinkled her nose.

            “Only you would think a shark is cute.”

            He shrugged and went up to the glass. “Oh, Great White, won’t you marry me?”

            A little child standing near the two of them tugged on her mom’s shirt. “Mommy, that man is talking to the shark,” she whispered and Yongguk coughed from the embarrassment.

            Roffy held out her hand and he took it. She turned to the mom who was smiling in amusement. “I’ll be taking this child home now,” she joked and Yongguk slipped an arm around her waist.

            “You’re so cute,” he whispered in her ear as they walked towards the Arctic room.

            The polar bears were lounging on their slabs of ice and they saw a cub poke its way through the water, splashing around and enjoying itself while its mother watched from the ice. “I want a polar bear,” Roffy pouted.

            “You do not. That thing will maul you to death.” She rolled her eyes upwards, showing only the whites of her eyes and he flicked her forehead. “How attractive.”

            It was, however, the seals that caught her attention the most. Despite the cold, she hovered near the glass and watched the baby seals pounce on their fish, learning how to hunt as their mother demonstrated. She sighed as one buried its face into the icy snow and peered around in absolute content.

            “What do you say to making a donation to the seals?” She looked at Yongguk and saw that he was serious. “We can even adopt a seal if you want.”

            Roffy hugged him. “You’re such a do-gooder.” She playfully clapped her hands together and bounced in an imitation of a seal inching up the snow. “Arf, I’m a baby seal.”

            He smiled, showing his teeth again. “I’m secretly a great white shark waiting to eat you up.” He bent his head and nibbled on her ear. She blushed and coughed, cleverly maneuvering out of the way.

            “Ahem, why don’t we go see the penguins next?”

            Yongguk smirked at her slyly. “Why so shy?”

            “There are children here,” she hissed and he sighed.

            “Of course.”

            But rather than pushing it, he held her hand tighter and led her through the water tunnels, with the colorful fish surrounding them as they headed to Antartica.


Fun fact: I love sharks