6

How To Escape The Friendzone

"I don't know."

I stared at her. "What do you mean you don't know?"

"I'm not sure on how I feel about you, or how I feel about boys, or how I feel about girls." Hyosung said with a soft sigh. "I was talking with another girl, Ailee, and she said that she's going to help me figure out how I feel."

I paused, thinking of where I'd heard the name Ailee before. And then I remembered. I went to high school with Ailee, and she was someone who knew literally everything. And she was y. But that doesn't matter.

"You can tell me when you know then. I'll wait." I said, and then I got up and left to go to Yura's room.

 

"So you asked her?" Yura asked as we both sat on her bed.

"Yeah. She said she doesn't know, so she's going to talk to Ailee. You know Ailee." I said. "That girl with the s who knows stuff."

"Of course I know Ailee, I used to see her every week when I broke up with you know who." Yura said.

There was a small silence in which we both had our phones out and were looking through our various social media accounts.

"What if she's not gay though? What do I do then?" I sat up and put my phone down.

"You find another girl."Yura said.

"I won't find another girl, idiot." I sighed, shaking my head.

"You will! You're pretty and you're nice and all that stuff that friends are meant to say when their friends are having relationship problems." Yura looked down at her phone and sighed. "I have to go, my parents are coming to visit me."

We both got up off her bed and said goodbye, and then I ended up walking around the university grounds.

I saw a lot whilst I was walking around. I saw Hyeri sat outside on a bench. I went to say hi and she told me that she had an exam or something and she needed to study. I asked her if she needed any help and she said no, but she'd ask me if she was stuck. I said bye to her and then kept walking. I saw Yura through the gates of the university. she was getting into her dad's car. And then I saw Ailee and Hyosung sat under a tree together. Hyosung was crying. Ailee was hugging her. I pretended I didn't see them and walked past quickly, but I knew that they'd seen me. I ended up sitting down by a wall and texting Yura.

I think she's crying because of me.

- Sojin

Why? Where is she?

- Yura.

She's sat under a tree with Ailee. I swear to god I didn't say anything bad to her. I just said I'd wait for her to decide and then I left.

- Sojin.

You're an idiot.

- Yura.

Why?

- Sojin.

Yura didn't reply. She'd probably been told off for using her phone.

I put my phone back in my pocket and sat and watched my surroundings. It was quiet, and then I heard voices approaching.

"Don't get upset again, okay? She won't hurt you."

"I don't know why I got upset in there though... She didn't say anything to hurt me."

I knew it was Ailee and Hyosung. They were getting closer so I got up and started to walk. I heard them both start walking quicker and I knew they were trying to catch up to me, so I started running and eventually I had lost them and had ended up back to where Hyeri was.

"Are you okay?" Hyeri asked with a puzzled expression. "Why were you running?"

"I was being followed." I said. "But I've lost them now."

"Who was following you?" Hyeri asked, pulling me to sit next to her.

"Hyosung and Ailee." I said, sighing. "It sounds stupid that I was running away from them, but it's a long story and you need to study."

"You can tell me later then, I'll text you!" Hyeri said with a cheery smile.

I got up and returned to my room. I heard voices from inside and I sighed, knowing I would have to face them eventually. I unlocked the door and went in and sat on my bed.

"Sojin?" I heard Hyosung say.

I rolled over and looked at her.

"Yes?"

"Are you mad at me?" She asked.

"No." I said. "I just don't feel like talking today."

I heard a small sigh, then footsteps and they both left the room.

I ended up falling asleep early that night, but I knew that Hyosung didn't sleep at all.

I was such an idiot.