Three

Devolution

Break down the walls that trap you.


Woohyun was actually really reluctant to show the prince of Sunhwan his secret hideaway. It was his home away from the manor, the only place where he could feel free, and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to show it to some stranger that he had just met, especially since that stranger was the heir to the empire on the other side of the world. He knew nothing about Sunggyu.

Somehow, he just felt like he could trust the other. There was something about the way Sunggyu’s eyes widened when he had suggested that they leave the manor and go somewhere else, the way that Sunggyu’s hesitant expression changed the minute he had passed through the secret door and into the rose bushes that led to the forest, the way that Sunggyu’s whole face seemed to beam after he had taken his first look at the amusement park that Woohyun held so close to his heart. There was just something about Sunggyu that made Woohyun want to tell him everything, show him everything.

Whatever it was, it made him want to take Sunggyu back here every day, show him other places that reminded him of BD times, give him things that would give him this wonderful adrenaline rush just by having it. It even made him want to tell him about Myungsoo, despite the fact that he had promised himself that he would never speak of Kim Myungsoo again.

Kim Myungsoo was Woohyun’s very close friend as a child. In fact, up until two years ago, Woohyun was so sure he’d become president and marry Myungsoo. He was so sure that they’d be the childhood friends that made everyone jealous because they had ended up together. In fact the very place they were at, the old, run-down amusement park, was his and Myungsoo’s hideout. It was where the two of them would run away to as kids and hang out, where they had secret dates when they got older, and where Myungsoo first suggested that they run away together.

Myungsoo was a very free person. He was very different from Woohyun, who had once always followed whatever he was told. Nam Woohyun wasn’t always the crazy, risk-taking person he was now, and he had Myungsoo to attribute his current character for. Myungsoo never liked being in the same place for long, and that’s why he had loved the amusement park so much. He could always find something new there, whether it be bringing the bungee jumping materials over to the cliff and binding the cords over there or discovering the control panel for the rollercoasters. The hideaway was a place filled with new findings and treasures, and Woohyun thought for once that it would be enough for Myungsoo, that the younger would be content with this whole pool of BD time contraptions and materials.

But of course he wasn’t. Kim Myungsoo was almost never satisfied. He wanted the entire ocean, and it took Woohyun too long to figure that out.

Myungsoo had always talked about BD times, and Woohyun should’ve noticed the change in his eyes when he had asked Woohyun what it would be like if they had gone back to the way it was before. What if they were able to let people know about the music they illegally wrote when they were together, if they could read about the BD history whenever they wanted to, if the world wasn’t ruled by only two families?

However, that would mean taking away Woohyun’s ability to rule over Muhan, and Woohyun knew that wasn’t what his parents wanted. His parents wanted him to be a successful leader, someone that would leave a legacy, someone that they could be proud of. They wanted him to lead Muhan into a path that they didn’t have enough time to, to connect Muhan and Sunhwan so greatly that the world would forever remember the name “Nam Woohyun”, because he was just so wonderful as a leader that no one would want to forget him. They wanted him to be successful, and Woohyun knew that if the Devolution had never occurred, he wouldn’t be able to have the chance to do that. Despite his mutual love of all things related to BD times, he wouldn’t wish for the world to go back.

But Myungsoo did. He had read books, searched for places that reminded him of the BD times, and created things that were so—so Myungsoo and old-fashioned and wonderful that Woohyun knew that even if he didn’t agree with the younger he still wouldn’t be able to say that he didn’t love him with all of his heart, and that was what scared him.

One thing that had stayed the same with Woohyun was that he was playful. He was playful at heart and he always got scared when things got too serious. He was scared when Myungsoo suggested running away together. He had just pushed the thought away until Myungsoo actually asked him to run away with him.

He had found the letter that Myungsoo had written right in front of the secret hideaway, right before he was about to meet Myungsoo for their date at the amusement park.

“Woohyun,

I found a place that’s just like the places from BD times.

We can go there, and we can live together, and you don’t have to do any of this, Woohyun. We can get married early and we can adopt children, or we can just find a house by ourselves and make music and watch movies, whatever you want. Woohyun, we could have everything we had always wanted.

I know that I’m asking you a lot, and if you don’t want to leave with me it’s ok, but I can’t stay here any longer. You know how I get; the amusement park, though I wished so much for it to be enough, it isn’t. I have two tickets for us to leave, and I’ll be waiting for you until they absolutely force me to go inside the plane, ok?

I’ll understand if you don’t want to go with me. Despite the beginning words of this letter, I know that most of these were just my dreams and that you pretend to like BD things a lot more than you actually do because of me, but I do hope you come, but if you don’t, just remember that I’ll always love you. You’ll forever be my only one, whether you decide to join me or not.

I’m going to be leaving Friday.

Love, Myungsoo.”

Their relationship hadn’t ended though when Woohyun stayed at home instead of going to their date, it hadn’t ended when Woohyun ignored his calls all the way up to the Friday of that week, and it didn’t end when he didn’t show up at the airport. It ended when the television had reported that the plane heading to the wonderful place that Myungsoo had been talking about had been hijacked and crashed.

Woohyun had been devastated, and he was still sad about it. He still hadn’t forgotten Myungsoo, but he knew that he could. He hoped that he could. He had given away a part of him and Myungsoo when he had decided to show Sunggyu their hideaway, and when Sunggyu had suddenly pressed his lips against his, he thought that maybe, maybe, this could be his second chance.

The second that their lips had parted, he saw this spark in Sunggyu’s eyes that was so beautiful that Woohyun could see himself with Sunggyu years from now, combining the two empires and ruling the entire world together, but just when Woohyun was about to think of leaning in for another kiss, of taking this to the next level, of asking the prince if he could maybe visit Sunhwan sometime soon, Sunggyu had spoken first.

“Sorry, it was just the adrenaline running through me.”


Heads up! Sungyeol will be appearing in the next chapter~^^