Chapter 41

The Curse of the Mansion

Dongwan was swinging the shovel in his hands and at the same time he was cursing and swearing out loud.

If it was not for that idiot's request, he would not be acting so sneakily like this. First, Dongwan slogged away to find out the burial place and secondly, he secretly came here when it was raining in the middle of the night so as to avoid detection. He was digging up a grave.

Digging someone's grave!

The thought of it made Dongwan flared up and he exerted more strength in welding the shovel. If anyone was to discover him, an Inspector of the Criminal Investigation Department, digging up grave in the dead hours of the night; he might not only lose his job plus the critics that the public shot at him, could easily shamed him greatly.

The more Dongwan thought of it, the angrier he became and the more strength that he exerted on the poor soil.

Very soon, Dongwan managed to dig halfway through the grave and the blunt sound that his shovel made, Dongwan knew that he had dug to the coffin. Due to  nature at work, the wooden surface of the coffin decomposed. The moment that the shovel hit on it, the surface shattered. With the shattered bits flung around, a large hole was seen. Through the opening, Dongwan was unable to see anything. Dongwan switched on his torchlight, shining the cold beam inside the coffin so as to see the content inside clearly.

"It's impossible!" Dongwan exclaimed when he saw clearly," How can it be an empty coffin?  Unless.... oh .... F***!"

Dongwan recalled Hyesung's request to dig the grave and he let out a loud curse. He threw the shovel aside and was desperately fishing his mobile phone out. Dongwan dialled the numbers.

Once the call made through; Dongwan yelled immediately," Minwoo, where are you now? At office? Okay. Don't ask anything because I don't have the time to explain right now. Find someone and go to Mun mansion at once. Yes, you hear me correctly! I can't meet you in time because I have to save Hyesung. His life is in danger if you delay further."

                                                                     ********************************************************************************

Stepping his foot inside the woods again, Hyesung did not know how to express his feeling. Heavy? Nervous? Lost? Or Depressed?

Depressed.

When this word flashed in his mind, Hyesung most probably found the correct description for his feeling. He was depressed to the max and he wanted to scream out loud to vent out everything.

What had Time do to mankind? What had his long time buddy Eric been through? What was it that caused a kind natured boy to turn into a ruthless murderer?

Hyesung had no answer to his question. Unless he broke through the layers to get to the truth, everything was only his assumption.

Following the floating light source, Hyesung did not go into the undergrowth but was circling around. After a few rounds, the same surroundings greeted him and Hyesung suspected that he was lost. Luckily, the light source was still in front which guided Hyesung in the darkness and eventually, out of the woods. Hyesung saw the well.

Hyesung felt goosebumps broke put on his skin when he saw the well.  He looked around to see if he was lost because he was surprised to be at this place. Hyesung eyed his surroundings. Unfortunately, he spied the statute. The familiar statute with the sinister smile as if it was mocking at him.

Hyesung took a deep breath to calm himself down. It was then he realized that the light source had unknowingly disappeared. The woods seemed eerie to Hyesung and the light drizzle made Hyesung believed that the trees were weeping. The temperature was lower here than at the mansion which heighten the horror atmosphere and made Hyesung having difficulty with breathing.

Hyesung ordered himself to remain calm.  He took a deep breath again. While his breathing stablized. Something bright came into his sight. It did not seem to be torchlight, much less fire light. Sometime it was bright while sometime it dimmed. When that brightness appeared again, it was just about 3 to 5 meters away.

"You....." Hyesung stammered due to his nervousness.

Eric appeared behind the well with a stoic expression," Shock to see me?"

"No.." Hyesung tried to hide the fright in his heart.

However, Eric saw through him," You dont have to say anything to explain. I know why you are here just as it's why I am here." Hyesung shrank himself and took a step back.

"Why aren't you asking me anything? Maybe I was deliberately luring you into the woods and to here." Eric spoke. The flickering brightness lit again. Due to the close proximity, Hyesung clearly saw the brightness on Eric's hand. Eric was wearing a dark coloured gloves which seemed to be made of special but unknown material.

"I........I do not know what you are talking about. Eric, please don't scare me like this." Judging g from his current situation, Hyesung had to feign ignorance.

Eric sniggered," I have alway thought that I am the best actor but you are quite good in acting as well."

"Eric ah, you are frightening me here. I really do not know what you are talking about." Hyesung was facing the fear. He feared that he would end up like the skeleton in the well tonight. Being buried away unknown.

Eric stop smirking," Do you know what is this glowing insect? "

Hyesung shook his head.

Eric raised his hand up," It's body is gold, emitting golden flame. I called it golden fire butterfly."

"Why.... why are you talking this to me?" Hyesubg took another few steps back.

Eric advanced," It's beautiful but dangerous. It's body produces some sort of powder which heat up once it came into contact with the oxygen in the air. It will burn everything that came close to it. Hyesung ah, you are just like it, beautiful but will cause death unknowingly."

"Er.... Eric..." Hyesung wanted to flee but his legs were not obeying him.

"During this period, I'm sure that you are not stranger to Voodoo right?" Eric came right in front to Hyesung.

"I....." If Hyesung was able to remain calm, he could continue being ignorance. But Hyesung remembered the culprit that Dongwan had gunned down, he was trembling," Who are you?"

Eric shot out his hand and grabbed Hyesung," So you knew that I am not Eric."

Hyesung lifted his leg to kick him. He was taken by surprise and felt the pain from Hyesung's kick, losing his gripe on Hyesung.

Hyesung frantically turned and started running but he was tripped by the exposed tree roots.  Hyesung fell onto the ground and when he tried to get up, his hair was being grabbed. 

"How do you know that I am not Eric? I assumed his identity very convincingly." The uncontrolled crazy fire was seen in his eyes like the insect on his hand.

"Still, you are not Eric!" Hyesung screamed.

He swinged his fist and hit squarely on Hyesung's face. " You are right. I can never be Eric but I love you more than Eric does. Or should I say Eric does not love you else he wouldn't have decide to end your life."

"It's not true!" Hyesung spat at him.

He was not bothered by the spat on his face but just wiped it away. He gripped Hyesung's chin tightly," Let me tell you.  My younger brother was clouded by greed and power. He was going all out to kill you and he had kill a lot more people than you can imagine  Jihoon, Professor Yoon, Professor Cho, halmeoni. Oh did I forget to mention all those women that were used to breed the Snow worms? Yes he killed those women who are Jihoon's patient like I am."

"You...." Hyesung was shaking like a leaf.

He pressed his face close to Hyesung," You can't blame my brother because this is how we are raised in the family!  In order to survive and to own everything, we have to fight. Since we were young,  we were casted with Voodoo. The Voodoo developed as we grow up. Even though umma took my brother sway from the Mun, he has to return eventually. Returning back to the family for fate to give it's verdict: to be a winner who owns everything or to be a loser who will be facing death only. Only the fittest deserves to live just like this butterfly. The fittest Snow worm gets to bloom into butterfly and to breed the stronger next generation."

"Lunatic." Hyesung scolded.

"I am not a lunatic. All these are decided by my harabeoji!" The way he looked at Hyesung was so sincere and loving, wanting to have Hyesung's looks imprinted in his mind. " The Mun almost ended in harabeoji's time and he came up with this insane idea to groom the next heir. Oh I think I forgotten to tell you that twins genes runs in the family. My harabeoji's time, my Appa's time and even in my time. I am Junghyuk. All along I envied Eric. As the other half bearing the same gene as me, why was he so much blissful than me? Umma left my Appa because of him so that he can have a happy childhood. Why am I the one being forsake and to be stuck at the hellish place!"

Junghyuk started laughing and gripped hard at Hyesung's hair, pulling him up. "But umma never think that no matter how far she got Eric away from the Mun family, she never guess that Eric and I kept in contact. Umma never realized that Eric will have to return in the end."

Hyesung was tearing due to the pain from his scalp.

Junghyuk became incoherent as he reminisce about the past," Do you remember the blue handkerchief?"

Hyesung's eyes widened. 

"You don't have to be so surprise. Eric and I swapped identity frequently." Junghyuk smiled but the smiles looked scary on his face. " When you are in year 1, I gave you a blue handkerchief to wrap your injured hand." 

Hyesung shook his head as he could not believe that he was that Eric then.

"It's me and not Eric." The smile frozen on his lips. " Subsequently,  I was ill for a long time and I was thinking why it was Eric and not me that was with you? Why am I living like a worm to be caged in the family? Why can't I fly like the butterfly? I was determined to be a butterfly for the rest of my life!"

"You!" Hyesung could not believe what he had heard.

"So I tried to find a way to live. I pretend to be weak and wanted my Appa to locate Eric. I had Halmeoni's grandson Junghoon helping me. I let your beloved Eric realize that we shared the same gene and fate. So to survive, to live, to have power and wealth; we have to eradicate our common enemy. We had to get rid of the one who wanted to control us."

"You two... You. .." Hyesung was unable to finish his words.

"A smart person like you should have guess it." Junghyuk pulled Hyesung and advancing towards the well.  " I had Junghoon poisoning my Appa till his innards rot away and die. Thereafter, together with Eric; we killed Junghoon. Eric was of similar built as Junghoon and he did plastic surgery to become Junghoon. Eric assumed as Junghoon and learnt from halmeoni all about Voodoo. While I fakes my death and assumed as Eric. When the time came, we framed halmeoni and then killed her. There will be no one else to control us."

However, Junghyuk underestimated Hyesung.

His seemingly well devised plan was seen through by someone he loved.

"You... You are inhumane like...." Hyesung's face was bleeding due to to the contact with the hard ground.

"Devil." Junghyuk continued for Hyesung. "I failed in 2 areas. First, I underestimated you and the bond with Eric. Second, both Eric and me had the same gene and blood. We are like drug addiction and we can't get rid of the thirst to become the winner. I am like this and so is Eric."

"All these are excuses." Hyesung tried to ignore the pain from his cheek.

"Maybe." He pulled Hyesung up to face him," But I love you." 

Hyesung spat at him.

Junghyuk was not angry and he smiled, " I did all this for us to be together." 

Hyesung spat again. 

Junghyuk glared at him," How do you think that you get to know Jihoon?"

Hyesung pursed his lips and refused to speak.

"Jihoon was Junghoon ' s elder brother.  I made him get close to you but that bastard fell in love with you." Junghyuk lowered his head and wanted to kiss Hyesung. Hyesung struggled and he scratched Junghyuk ' s face.

Junghyuk held his face," You are not gentle like what I had deemed you to be."

Hyesung shot deadly glares at Junghyuk.

"Do you really believe that the website was creates by Eric or rather Junghoon?" Junghyuk pushed Hyesung to the ground and looked down at him," It was all in my plan. I was the one who creates the website and my aim was to get the cops to get rid of Eric!"

"You.... are evil! " Hyesung struggled to sit up," So Professor Cho...."

"He was killed by your beloved Eric. But the bias woman who took Eric to flee the Mun family was....." Junghyuk looked at Hyesung," I know you are going to say I am a devil. But if I managed to survive in that kind of environment, don't you think I have long become a devil?"

"Stay away from me." Hyesung retreated. 

"Don't worry and don't be sad. You are the one that I loved the most and it's you that I became like this, I will not bear to let you to be sad. Let's go to hell together. We will accompany each other and to leave this living hell."

Junghyuk threw the butterfly onto Hyesung.

"Arrgghhhh. " Hyesung yelled as the burning ball of fire came towards him.

"Ha ha ha, let everything burn." 

"Shin Hyesung! Shin Hyesung!" 

Junghyuk whistled and the butterfly came back to him, landing on his gloved hand.

Hyesung seized the opportunity to crawl away.

"Shin Hyesung." Minwoo barged in.

Hyesung yelled," Careful, he is not Eric! The real Eric was Junghoon who was dead. This one is the real mastermind! "

Junghyuk was not bothered with Minwoo's appearance. " I had no wish to take another life but you left me with no choice.

"Raise your hands up!" Minwoo roared and pointed a gun at Junghyuk.

"You all shall perish!" Junghyuk threw out the butterfly towards Minwoo.

"Minwoo careful." Hyesung screamed.

Unexpecting a fireball coming at him, Minwoo fired. The fireball landed on his hand and Minwoo dropped his gun while putting out the flame on his hand by rubbing on the ground. 

Hyesung crawled to pick up the gun that was lying bear him. When he raised his head, Hyesung saw Junghyuk pressing onto his abdominal and his face was showing shockness 

In the state of chaos, Minwoo has fired off and it hit Junghyuk in the stomach. Blood was soaking Junghyuk ' s white shirt.

"Don't move or I will shoot." Hyesung was pointing the gun at Junghyuk with his trembling hands.

"Shoot me! I will be happy to die in your hands." Junghyuk smiled.

"I am not joking. I will shoot you."

"Shoot me then." Junghyuk raised one of his hand and pointed at his heart.

"Don't force me to do that." Hyesung was on the verge of crying.

"You have only one chance to kill me else it will be me to kill you." Junghyuk took a step forward.

"Bang bang bang."

"Argghhhh." Hyesung screamed while he fired. The sound of the gunshot rang through the skies and light drizzle fell.

Junghyuk collapsed on the ground but he had a contented smile on his face.

"Why?" Hyesung was crying and screaming while he looked at Junghyuk," Why?  Why?"

Hyesung seemed to have lost his soul when he stumbled over to Junghyuk.

Junghyuk used his last bit of strength and took Hyesung's hand. " Before you discover my real identity, I..... I think this is the best ending for me. You may not believe this but I rather die than to hurt you.  Sungie, do you still recall the first time that you came to the mansion? Halmeoni had casted voodoo in your drink back then." Junghyuk coughed out a mouthful of blood," Don't worry. Last night I put the antidote in your drink. I wanted to confess everything to you if I live beyond today. In the end, I can't. "

Junghyuk gave a smile to Hyesung. A helpless yet relieved smile.

"Why?" Hyesung muttered while tears just flowed down his cheeks.

"If only I was not born into the Mun family." Junghyuk closed his eyes. The spirit of life left the young man.

"Why!" Hyesung yelled at the skies.

                                                                       ***************************************************************

3 months later.

Dongwan came panting into Minwoo's office," Minwoo where is the autopsy report for this morning? Jinnie said that he had yet to receive it till now. I need it urgently...."

His words stuck in his throat due to the person in the office. 

Minwoo looked up from his desk which was at the corner of the room and saw a stunned Dongwan at the doorway. He followed Dongwan's gaze towards the figure at the right side of the office.

"Oh Hyesung will be helping me out here." Minwoo smirked.

"Oh." Dongwan was still staring at Hyesung and he had momentarily forgotten what he came here for.

Minwoo stood up from his desk and took the huge stack of documents with him. He stuffed the documents into Dongwan's hands," Here are the report that you wanted. I am going out to smoke and I let you two have a chat in private. "

It was the two of them left in the office and the silence brought about awkwardness. Dongwan coughed to break the silence," You er.... why did you give up being a doctor and become a pathologist here?" Minwoo's job had to deal with corpses all the time.

"What about you?" Hyesung moved his chair," Minwoo told me that once you curb your bad temper,  you will be promoted and you will not have to be here in the CID."

Dongwan snorted," I am not suitable for desk bound job and doing paperwork. "

Hyesung smiled," I see that you are well aware of that. "

"Thank you for your compliment." Dongwan shrugged off the sarcasm in Hyesung's word. "Are you serious to be a pathologist?"

"You have any issue with that?" 

"Nope." Dongwan shrugged," Maybe you are more suitable here."

"Really?" Hyesung eyed at Dongwan.

"Well, you have sharp observation.  Oh you have not tell me how you discover he was not Eric. And how did you know that it was Eric that I had shot?"

"Because of the pattern that was drew in my palm."

"Huh?"

"Before Eric die, he drew a hexagon in my palm." Hyesung recalled the bloody pattern, recalled the twins who had been controlled by fate, the grand mansion, the woods and the stone statutes.

" How are so sure thar Junghoon was Eric based on the hexagon?"

"Well,  it will be a long story...." Hyesung looked at Dongwan and smiled back use it was a wonderful new story.

 

 

---------------The End-----------------------

 

 

 

 

Dear readers, my fic has come to a close. I am sorry for taking a long time to finish this and apologized if this falls short of your expectation. Thank you to all my subscribers, silent readers, voters & commentors.