Chapter 16

The Curse of the Mansion

Hyesung pushed pass Dongwan and ran up a few stairs and stopped in front of another photo.

"Dongwan, torchlight." Hyesung needed the light source for him to view the images clearly so as to ascertain his assumptions.

"Are you turning crazy?" Dongwan muttered but he shone the torchlight on the photo.

"As I expected!" Hyesung's view was locked at a corner on the top of the photo.

"This is still you?" Dongwan saw that it was a back view of a person.

Hyesubg raised his head to see Dongwan and nodded.

"You were saying..." Before Dongwan could say much, Hyesung moved towards another photo.

There would be a photo at every 5 to 7 steps. Dongwan noticed the row of photo at the staircase but he did not notice anything incriminating. They were ordinary photo to him, like someone who was interested in photography.

"All these photos had image of me, it showed that..." It was at the 5th photo that Hyesung looked hard at it.

"Showed that it was deliberately taken, making it an accident that you are captured in it." Dongwan continued Hyesung's sentence. However, Dongwan was still questionable, even if Hyesung was captured fully inside; what did it signify?

Hyesung turned around and glanced at Dongwan," Have you notice the date on the photos?"

"What will the date signify?" Dongwan peeped closely at the numbers and recalled those on the earlier photos.

"Didn't you notice that the dates are different?" While speaking, Hyesubg took a deep breathe.

"I did but I feel that..." What was the issue here? Dongwan's brain started functioning and he smirked," Now you believe what I told you? Dr Jihoon likes you. To the extend that his wife suspected something going on between the two of you."

It could be explain if the same venue, same scenary and same angle appeared in photo taking. But if the photo captured the same person and it was a deliberate attempt not to get a clear snapshot. It would lead one to guess the reason for doing all these.

Hyesung rubbed his temple. " I really did not know...." Right now, Hyesung realized that Jihoon hyung did not treat him purely as a junior or hoobae," Jihoon hyung knew that I loved the clock tower in the faculty because I told him that I would alway go there whenever I had free periods. To look at the trees, enjoy the breeze... Based on the dates, these photos were taken the year before, which was before I left to start being a houseman. The last semester in the faculty."

Hyesung shuddered when he think of being stalked and his photos being taken and a cold chill spread from his feet to his head.

"So even when Dr Jihoon lost contact with you, he was still following you?"

"I....I think so." Hyesung mumbled.

Dongwan looked at Hyesung," Let's go. We need to continue. I need to bring you to Dr Jihoon's entertainment room." Dongwan hoped that he would be able to find some leads tonight as his instinct told him. With Hyesung's help, he might be able to detect leads in this place.

At the entertainment room, Dongwan searched the cabinet and surprisingly pulled out a book at the innermost of the cabinet. It was a very worn out book titled, 'Insect World'.

"Is Dr Jihoon interested in insect?" Dongwan passed the book to Hyesung. He recalled the DVD that found earlier.

Hyesung took the book and started scrutinizing it." I have never hear Jihoon hyung mentioning this. I heard from the professors that Jihoon hyung enrolled into Medical faculty with a very high score. If he was interested in insect, he can enrol in the related faculty like the Biology faculty, Botany faculty or Emtomology faculty."

After flipping through the book, Hyesung was attracted to a picture of a very beautiful butterfly. It had a pair of large golden wings, black feelers. It looked so real as the wings had a shimmering light when the wings were fluttering. If Hyesung did not forget where he was at, he would think that the butterfly was flying in front of him.

"So, I can boldly assume that Dr Jihoon had great interest in insects and it could be a recent affairs?" Hyesung did not respond to Dongwan's assumption because his focus was on the butterfly.

"Yah, are you listening?" Dongwan nudged Hyesung after seeing no reaction from him.

Hyesung seemed to be woken up from hypnotised state and asked," Did you say anything?"

"Aishi, You did not pay attention to what I said earlier!" Dongwan was upset that he was being ignored.

"Huh what did you say?" Hyesung shrugged," Let put the topic aside and look at this."

Hyesung moved the book to Dongwan and showed him the picture of the butterfly. Dongwan was pissed off but he looked at the picture. Swiftly, Dongwan noticed the lights in the wings," What is this?"

Dongwan was surprised at the butterfly because it was big judging by the size of the picture and it was rather rare to have a large butterfly.

Hyesung shook his head," You did not see this?" Hyesung was puzzled because Dongwan said that he came in the day.

"Nope." Dongwan was honest. He did not discover this book in the day," This is why I insisted to search this place again."

Hyesung rolled his eyes before handing over the book," This is case exhibit, I suppose?"

Dongwan's gaze lingered on Hyesung's face for a few seconds before he took the book. "Hey, I told you that Dr Jihoon is connected to the serial murder cases, right?"

"Yes." Hyesung still could not bring himself to believe that Jihoon hyung was the murderer. And it had proven that he was not but the price was heavy. Jihoon hyung became a victim and his corpse was now lying in the mortuary.

"You are aware that the 3 bodies, no I mean 4 which included Dr Jihoon's wife, were murdered by the same person? We found a pupae inside the eyes of all of them."

"In the eyes?" Hyesung narrowed his eyes and looked puzzled," Pupae?"

"The eyes or rather the empty eye sockets." Dongwan carefully slipped the book in the Police's polymer bag and sealed it. " The pupae was rather the case left after it evolved."

"You are saying the eye balls were possibly forced out when the insects hatched?" Hyesung felt uncomfortable when he imagined the scene in his head.

"Not possibly. It 100% confirmed." Dongwan corrected.

Hyesung swallowed a lump in his throat, to calm his emotion," If it hatched, that...what is the insect?"

"If I know the answer, I would not be standing here with you." Once, Dongwan got hold of the person who had the hatched insect, he would have fresh leads for the cases. However, till now, they were unable to identify the spiece of insects that were hatched even from the pupae. Even Professor Yoon was not able to shed light on it. The only thing that Dongwan knew that it was some sort of insect called Snow worm which was used in casting of Voodoo..

"I feel..." Hyesung looked deeply at Dongwan. "Are you trying to say that Dr Jihoon knew the murderer?"

Dongwan smiled," So you do have brain."

"Hyesung shot deadly glance at Dongwan," Only the elite of the elite can become a doctor!"

"Oh did I hurt someone's pride huh?" Dongwan did not bicker with Hyesung but he took out his voice recording device to record his discovery.

Hyesung walked to a side and went through all the items in the cabinet.

"Dongwan." Hyesung saw an opening crack underneath.

Dongwan rushed over after hearing Hyesung's tense voice. "What happen?"

"Look at that." Hyesung pointed at the opening," Thete seemed to be a hidden compartment."

Dongwan shone his torchlight at it," Ya it does seem like it." Dongwan knocked around it.

"Stand back a little." Dongwan slipped his hand in and touched around. He touched a protruding object and tugged at it. The opening burst open and revealed a hidden compartment.

Hyesung leaned closer to get a better view.

Dongwan touched the hidden compartment which resembled a drawer. But this drawer did not seem big enough to contain a lot of things. When Dongwan pulled the drawer out, inside it was something wrapped in leather or what."

"It is a diary." Dongwan spoke after unwrapping it. Hyesung stretched his hand, wanting to take a look.

Dongwan was faster as he flipped open it and started reading:

Today is the happiest day in my life because I met him. My life seemed to transform from the black and white into colours.

I am being abandoned. No matter how I tried to move ahead, I faced with obstacles. He is my light and it was God's will that we met. I found my value when I am near him. He is my sunshine...

Dongwan was reading halfway when some photos dropped out from the diary. 

Hyesung bent down to retrieve them. When Hyesung saw the photos, his face turned pale once again.

"What did you see to make you looked so ghostly huh?" Dongwan asked.

Hyesung was too distraught to speak and he could only passed the photos to Dongwan with his shaking hand.

Dongwan saw the shaking hand.