Chapter 19

The Curse of the Mansion

Dongwan sent Hyesung home. Till alighting from the vehicle, Hyesung was still thinking about the website which was written in blood red -- 'The thrill of Murder'.

"You can trace the creator of the website from the IP address right?" Hyesung finally spoke when he was alighting.

"Of course." Dongwan mumbled with a worrying look," However, the evidence to link the creator of the website to the series of murder case is weak."

Initially, they thought that they would gather some useful information from Jihoon hyung's laptop but they came across the website. It was just a controversial website. Nothing on Voodoo was stated in the website and it only talked about the various ways of being murdered.

If Professor Yoon was right in his deduction, the series murder cases had to do with Voodoo. However, the leads seemed to have ended here.

Hyesung was deep in thoughts," The creator of the website is definitely psychologically disturbed. Though there is no concrete evidence of murder, abetting others to commit murder is still an offence! Right?" Hyesung recalled the frightening sentence on the website.

"The thrill of Murder was when you are before the victim. You are the God because you were the one to decide if the victim is to live or die. You are the God who have the power to decide the fate!"

Hyesung closed his eyes but the bloody image appeared in his mind suddenly and he felt his breathing stopped. Hyesung could not believe that a mild mannered person like Jihoon hyung had the thoughts of murder. Then did it make everyone a murderer? Love and hatred really could change a person completely. 

Jihoon hyung had be infatuated in love with him, and also crazily hated his wife!

"Don't forget that we have not found anything related to Voodoo on the website." Dongwan had his doubt because why would Dr Jihoon created 2 sets of pass words to lock up his laptop.

 "Why Jihoon hyung set up 2 passwords? To protect anyone from seeing the website in his laptop?"

"This...." Hyesung had spoke what was on Dongwan's mind. Dongwan also frowned and shrugged," Regarding this, I will carry out investigation; to trace the creator of the website or the visors of the website. Technically,  you are not involved anymore. Wait, what I mean was that I am grateful for your help in cracking the password but..."

"To prevent my life from being endangered with this case,  it best that I stop here. If I can forget and so it will be better. I can also treat it as nothing had happened and so I should not get involved any further. Am I right?" Hyesung glared at Dongwan.

Dongwan was not bothered with Hyesung's deadly glare," Good that you are aware of it. Before we nab the culprit, danger might befall on you if you get involved too deeply. "

"Oh how kind you are." Hyesung snorted.

"What!" Dongwan hissed. He was cursing that Hyesung was not appreciative of what he was doing. 

"I am already involved." Hyesung stormed off after saying his last sentence. From the moment that Hyesung discovered Jihoon hyung's body, Hyesung was destinated to be involved in this crazy series murder cases.

"Hey, are you blaming me for asking for your help?" Dongwan chased after Hyesung.

Hyesung stopped in his track," A bit I would say. But you do not have a say when you ask me for help. It is all fated." Hyesung believed so because why would he be the first one to discover Jihoon hyung's body.

"Well, this does not sound too bad." Dongwan shrugged," But for your safety, I really hope that you will not involved anymore. I will get my side to investigate into the website."

"You still don't get it." Hyesung turned around and sighed," I have, long ago, been involved in this,  haven't I? Do you think I am a willing party? The moment I found Jihoon hyung's body, I had been involved against my will. Plus, I found out too much and you had the cheek to tell me to stop!"

"Are you referring to the secret love that Dr Jihoon had on you?" Dongwan pointed out the main point.

Hyesung took a deep breathe and gritted his teeth," Have anyone told you that you are a jerk!"

Dongwan chuckled," Yes. By saying yes, would that make you feel better?"

Feel better? Definitely not! Hyesung shot another deadly glance at Dongwan.

Dongwan could not help but suspected that he had gotten used to the glares and deadly glances from Hyesung. They had barely known each other for long and the frequency of him receiving Hyesung's glances and glares were uncountable. " Whether you heed my advice is none of my business. Please remember that I had your safety in kind when I told you not to get involved."

"Oh should say a big thank you to you huh?" Clearly,  Hyesung was being sarcastic.

Dongwan felt like swearing at him. He had been stressed over the series of murder cases and in front of him stood an obstinate Hyesung which he really felt like bashing up.

"That it! I do not care how you think. Just remember my advice and leave the rest to us." Dongwan walked away.

"Ya." Hyesung yelled out at Dongwan's retreating figure.

Dongwan ignored Hyesung's calls and he waved a hand, without even looking back at Hyesung. Soon, Dongwan entered into his vehicle and sped off. The tail light of Dongwan's vehicle disappeared into the dark night.

Hyesung was so angry but he vented his frustration at an empty soda can that lie on the path and kicked it.The soda can landed on the ground and made some noises. It rolled and landed in front of a male leather boot in the dark corner. A figure walked out.

"Eric?" After seeing carefully of the approaching figure,  Hyesung let out a surprised squeal.

"Hi Hyesungie." The dim streetlight cast a shadow on Eric's face and Hyesung could not see his expression.  However, judging from the voice; Eric sounded weird.

"How come you are here at this hour?" Hyesung looked up and fear arose on his heart. Hyesung could not see Eric's facial features and he had the feeling of being with a dangerous stranger. Was it due to the poor lighting? Instinctively, Hyesung took a few steps back. 

Eric walked a few more steps and his face could be seen despite the lighting. "I  was thinking. You might need some help and so I am here. As it seemed that my guess was right, that cop was troubling you."

"Oh no not really. Dongwan just ask me for some help only." Hyesung heaved a sign of relief and felt guilty on what he was thinking that Eric was dangerous. Hyesung had too much things on his mind that made him slightly tense and became paranoid. 

"Dongwan?" Eric caught it. Had they been so close to each other?

"The cop that you are talking about earlier." Hyesung explained as he assumed that Eric did not get his meaning.

Eric knew who Dongwan was. Not only he knew, Eric was spreading his outburst of emotions," You are so close to him that you are addressing him by his name?"

"Close?" Hyesung snorted and rolled his eyes," I am not close to that jerk! I can't tolerate his attitude and temper.  If it is not for Jihoon hyung's case, I will not be bother with him."

Hyesung overlooked that being angry and pissed off was also a reflection of inner emotion. Especially for a well mannered person like Hyesung who became aggitated. It became clearly the indirect cursed person had an important place in Hyesung's heart. 

Eric looked hard at Hyesung," Dr Jihoon's murder case?"

"Yes." Hyesung gave a tired smile and he recalled something, " Eric ah." Hyesung stopped after calling out to Eric.

"Yes, Hyesungie?" Eric was waiting for Hyesung to continue.

"Er...." Hyesung thought for a while before he decided not to say out what he had intended to speak, especially regarding Jihoon hyung's laptop. And Jihoon hyung using his nickname as password. Did Eric and Jihoon hyung ever talked about him? If not, how would Jihoon hyung knew about the nickname that Eric gave him?

" Hyesungie, just speak what is on your mind. With our relationship, what is there that you cant tell me?" Eric was sharp in his observation as he noticed that Hyesung changed his mind to speak on something.

"No, nothing." Eventually, Hyesung shook his head and he did not say out loud what was on his mind. He faked a smile," Eric ah, do you wnat to come up for a cup of coffee?"

Eric looked at Hyesung," Okay."

Hyesung turned and opened the front gate. Hyesung waited for Eric and they took the stairs up," Jihoon hyung's case seemed to be in a mess, a complicated mess."

It was especially so after Jihoon hyung's wife was found, her corpse. Everything was complicated, biazarre and strange. hyesung could not help but recall Professor Yoon's words about Voodoo. The Snow worm was used by certain tribes for casting Voodoo. However, all this were urban legend because no one actually saw how a Silk worm looked like and how it could be used to cast Voodoo.

"Complicated? To those cops, they will wish that they can relax and do nothing. Wit the need to use their brains, everything will seem complicated to them!" Eric responded casually. he was leaning against the wall while waiting for Hyesung to open his unit.

Hyesung just stuck the keys into the lock and momentarily, he forgotten to unlock the unit," Eric ah. Not all the cops are like what you said." To Hyesung, Dongwan was responsible and motivated despite having a poor attitude and temper. Dongwan would never shirk from his work and just lived his days by.

"Are you referring to the Dongwan cop?" Somehow, a tiny bit of jealousy could be sense in Eric's voice.

Hyesung was stunned and he did not respond.

"Forget it, let drop this topic." Eric came over and unlocked the unit. " Hyesungie, earlier you mentioned that Dr Jihoon's case is getting more complicated. Why did you say so?"

Hyesung entered into his unit and changed into a pair of house slipper. At the same time, he fished out another pair of house slippers for Eric. "The Police found Jihoon hyung's wife. Actually, her corpse to be exact.... She was also murdered."

"What! How?" Eric was taking off his leather boots and slipping into the slippers.

Hyesung closed the door and looked worried. " No idea so far. The Police do not have any leads for this. According to a Professor that the Forensic side engaged, he mentioned that the modus operandi of the murderer is very unique... Someone who is very obsessed in rearing insects and...." Hyesung shivered when he recollected about Voodoo which Professor Yoon had spoken.

"Rearing insects?" Eric was interested in this change of topic.

"You also find it weird, right?" Hyesung could not believe that someone would rear insects in a human body," That Professor is Professor Yoon and he is a researcher in the University. He specialised in this area."

"How would Dr Jihoon's case be involved with insects?" Eric walked straight for the sofa and sat down comfortably.

"Eric ah, how will you like your coffee to be?" Hyesung dumped his haversack on the floor and walked into the kitchen.

"Hyesungie, just plain water will do." Eric looked at te retreating figure.

"There is a link. The Police found a pupae in Dr Jihoon's eye socket. Oh, not only in Jihoon hyung's case. The other series of murder cases are the same. The Police found a few female corpses and inside their eye sockets, a pupae of an insect called Snow worm. However, they said that the pupae found in Jihoon hyung and the female served different purposes." Hyesung walked out of the kitchen with a glass of water.

"Huh? Different purpose." Eric straightened his body and frowned.

Hyesung shrugged," I am not too sure..."

"That... Snow worm... Well, it sounded..."

"You also found it unbelievable right?" Hyesung interrupted Eric and placed the glass of water in front of Eric. "If you are there and heard Professor Yoon said that the murderer is doing all this just to rear the Snow worm for Voodoo. Not only you will find it unblievable, you will be totally spooked!"

"Voodoo?" Eric looked surprised before he burst into laughters.

"Your reaction is similar to mine when I first heard such a ridiculous thing. I was also thinking that it was crap." Hyesung sat at the single seater and crossed his legs and hugged his knees.

" The way you sounded seemed like you believed that Professor's Yoon's words." Eric stopped laughing and looked serious.

"It is not that I believed Professor Yoon but all these series murder cases...." Hyesung did not continued and he pasued for a few seconds," Even Dongwan, you should have seen his reactions."

By thinking of Dongwan, Hyesung found it funny and irritating. Hyesung disliked his temper and attitude but admired the way that Dongwan worked at the cases. And his insistent of scientific explanations and proofs. When Professor Yoon informed them that the murderer was doing all these for Voodoo which was the indirect murder weapon. Without any scientific and logical explanation, Dongwan also snubbed at Professor Yoon's words.

"This is the second time that you mention the name of that cop for tonight." Eric's expression remained unchanged but his tone was emotionless.

"Is it?" Hyesung smiled to conceal a thought that flashed through his head. Between like and dislike, he chose to dislike Dongwan. " I think I was overwhelm with all the things that happened recently."

Eric observed Hyesung silently for a while before he reached for his glass of water. After some sips, he returned it to the coffee table slowly before turning his attention to Hyesung.

"Hyesungie, just by hearing what you had said. This case is dangerous and complicated?"

"Hmm." Hyesung nodded.

"I think, you should move to my place tonight." Eric said decisively.

"Now?" Hyesung's eyes and mouth were wide opened.

"I cant see your life being endangered, without me doing anything. Plus you are living alone here which all the more caused me to worry for you." Eric's expression was full of concern.

"Eric ah, things are not so serious as you said." Hyesung was thinking over Eric's proposal. Eric was indeed worrying about him but a voice deep down was cautioning him. Hyesung was slightly scared to move into Eric's place.

"Hyesungie." Eric held Hyesung's hands and looked straight into his eyes," You should know my worries. I have no one else left in this world except for you."

Eric's word made Hyesung unable to reject the proposal," I know that you are worried about me but...."

"You don't know the feeling and taste of losing another loved one. All this years, I had lost too many loved ones and i do not want to lose you." Eric's painful expression bore through his eyes.

"Eric ah." Hyesung was still debating whether to refused the proposal but he could not say it. After a while, he sighed,"Okay."

Hyesung decided to move in with Eric and he did not bother about the creepy mansion. Once Dongwan solved the cases and nabbed the murderer, he would move back.

"Really?" Eric was checking with Hyesung.

"Yes." Hyesung smiled.

"Okay, Hyesungie. You need to prepare and we will leave immediately." Eric gave his most brilliant smile for tonight.