Chapter 31

The Curse of the Mansion

Since Hyesung returned to the mansion, he had been thinking about Dongwan's words for the whole afternoon.

When it was dinner time, Jung came to get Hyesung to go to the dining hall for dinner.

"Jung, I really need to thank you for that night. I can't imagine the consequence if you have not found me and helped me back." Hyesung tried to chat up with Jung when he saw that no one was around.

 "Oh don't mention it." Jung scratched his head shyly and smiled," Mister Shin, Halmeoni always warned us not to venture into the woods late at night and so why did you go into the woods?"

Jung was tall about 1.8m and he had a honest face with an innocent looks. Just with one look, it is not difficult to deduce that Jung grew up in the countryside and he did not see much about the outside world.

"Ahhhhh. ... " Hyesung was dumbfounded at Jung's question. Hyesung could not blurt out what he saw in the woods to Jung. Hyesung had this feeling that the mansion held many secrets and these secrets might possibly be related to the series murder cases? Hyesung had this strong feelings of uneasiness," Oh I saw red light in the woods from my room and I thought that a fire broke out in the woods, hence I ran into the woods."

Hyesung decided to change the topic after he just answered to Jung," Oh by the way Jung, have you been working here for a long time?"

Jung was a simple minded boy and he did not continue pursuing the topic," I think I have not been long here if I am to compared to Halmeoni."

"Oh." Hyesung paused for a while," I remembered Halmeoni ever mentioned that her family had been working here for 3 generations. Is it really true?"

Hyesung recalled during his first meeting with Halmeoni, Eric said that Halmeoni had been with the Mun family for a very long time, almost the entire time of her life.

"Er, I do not know." Jung thought for a while and spoke," But I think it is true. I heard that Halmeoni ' s halmeoni  had been working as the head housekeeper here."

"Oh I do not know that the post of head housekeeper can be passed down from one generation to the next generation? " Hyesung whispered casually.

"What did you say Mister Shin?" Jung apparently did not catch Hyesung's words.

"Nothing." Hyesung realized his action and quickly diverted away," So Jung, how about you? How long have you been here?"

Jung lowered his head and stretched out his fingers to count," I came last year, the year before last and the year before last last year, er I think it's the year before last last last year."

Jung could not recall exactly but it could be around 4 to 5 years.

"Oh Jung." Hyesung interrupted Jung's thoughts when he saw that Jung was still counting with his fingers. " You said that Halmeoni's umma and halmeoni were head housekeeper of Mun family? "

Jung stopped counting his fingers and nodded," Yes. It's is awesome right?"

Seeing the innocent toothless grin, Hyesung also smiled," Yes it is. Imagine the 3 generations working for the same family. But.... about the warning of never to venture into the woods and the other taboos, did they exist during Halmeoni times or they were passed down from the past?"

Jung shook his head," This I do not know. But everyone knew about these because the first day we start working here, we were all being told of this."

Hyesung pondered," Do you know what was the reason?"

"What do you mean by what was the reason?" Jung did not quite get Hyesung's question.

Hyesung smiled again," I mean why we can't venture into the woods?"

"Ohhhh." Jung ohed for a while," I do not know because no one asked. The woods were full of large trees and the sunlight could not shine inside. It looked creepy and I think even if we do not know why we are not allowed to go into the woods, we will try to avoid it?"

"I see....." Hyesung knitted his eye brows," That day when I was in the woods, I saw some stone statutes and they looked quite unique."

"There are statutes?" Jung looked at Hyesung with wide eyes.

Hyesung nodded," Didn't you see them?" If Jung found Hyesung by the well, Jung could not have miss the statute that was not far away.

Jung shrugged and shook his head," I did not see."

Hyesung strained his eyes, going into deep thinking," Ah, we have to go down right?"

Hyesung suspected that Jung was hiding something. As to why Jung was doing this, Hyesung would slowly investigate to find out.

"Mister Shin, you are right. Haha I almost forgot about it." Jung chuckled and quickly ushered Hyesung down.

                         ******************************

"Jinnie, can you find Andy for me?"

After half an hour from the call made by Dongwan, the rookie Junjin brought his friend and appeared in Dongwan's office.

"Sunbae, I am here to report to you." Junjin was a young man who was passionate in his job. The moment he stepped into Dongwan's office,  he rushed to Dongwan's desk and saluted him in a seriously manner.

Dongwan raised his head up and acknowledged with a simple nod. Dongwan's gaze landed on Andy, whom was standing behind Junjin. Andy was still the same half dead half alive state and his expression seemed as if people owed him a lot of money.

Seeing Andy standing with his hands chucked in his jeans pockets while his eyes were looking around the office, Junjin nudged Andy and pulled Andy to his side.

"Hi." Andy greeted reluctantly and waved his hand.

Dongwan was not too bothered with Andy's attitude.

"Sunbae, you needed our help?" Junjin quickly lighten the mood.

"You have computer at your place?" Dongwan spoke but his question was not directed at Junjin and it was to Andy.

Andy just chew his gum and appeared relaxed but he knew the Dongwan was directing the question at him," Ahjussi are you stupid or what. I am a hacker and of course I have computer at home."

Junjin smacked Andy's head. Dongwan was not offended and stood up from his seat, came in front of Andy and flicked his forehead.

"Ya what the hell are you doing!" Andy shot deadly glares at Dongwan as he hated anyone to knock his head or flicked his forehead.

Junjin held Andy back," Hey hey Andy, sunbae was just teasing you a bit. He only did this to someone close. I had been waiting for sunbae to do that to me and you should be thankful, you lucky bastard."

Dongwan was shocked at what he heard from Junjin.

"Pabo." Andy slapped Junjin's hands away and was disgusted that Junjin stoop so low to work into Dongwan's good book.

"Please, it was my dream to get close to sunbae." Junjin's eyes glittered with tears.

"Yah you are damn disgusting." Andy slapped his hand on Junjin's face and pushed his face away. Andy turned to Dongwan," Alright, you asked if I have computer at home which meant you wanted me to check on that thing right?" Andy knew it. Being a busybody landed him with all these mess.

"Smart kid." Dongwan smirked.

"Deal, I help you on it and you have to cover me." Andy spoke.

"Cover you?" Dongwan had difficulties in understanding the lingo of the youngster.

"Huh? You mean you don't know the meaning?" Andy sent a depised look at Dongwan.

"Yah, don't be so disrespectful to my sunbae!" This time, it was Junjin who gave a hard flick on Andy's head.

"Ya! Jinnie, are you still my buddy?" Andy whined.

Junjin could not be bothered with a whiny Andy and he turned to Dongwan," Sunbae, cover means you have to provide food for him."

"Oh." Dongwan was amused with the way that Junjin and Andy interacted," No problem on the food."

"You said so and I hold you on that." Andy poked his head out from Junjin's back.

"Deal! A gentleman alway honored his words."

"I don't care about gentleman or not gentleman. And....." Andy skirmish his eyes into a thin line and his face changed," And you can't make any comment on the place I stayed!"

Dongwan really wanted to punch the kid who had so much issues. He controlled himself as his priority was on solving his cases. "Okay. I will take care of the food and won't say anything about your place. Do you still have any other terms and please list them all out." Dongwan hoped that he wouldn't grabbed the kid and whacked him up later.

                              *************************

Hyesung was having his dinner at the side hall. Only Eric and him were having the dinner and so they would have it at the side hall. Before Hyesung came in, Eric was at the dinning table; waiting for him.

The moment that Hyesung entered into the side hall, Halmeoni instructed someone to serve the food. After placing all the dishes on the table, Halmeoni and the servant left; allowing the two to have their dinner in peace.

"Maybe you can apply for leave from the hospital?" Eric placed a piece of meat in Hyesung's bowl.

"Apply leave from hospital? Why?" Hyesung knew that a lot of things happened lately but he was coping well and he did not think that he would need to apply for leave. Seeing the meat in his bowl, Hyesung lost his appetite.

"I am worried that the cop will harass you at your workplace." Talking about Dongwan made Eric frustrated and he put down his chopsticks, losing his appetite.

"You are referring to Dongwan?"

"You seem to be close with him?"

"Not really." Hyesung just answered Eric. Thinking deeply about it, Hyesung wondered if his relationship with Dongwan could be consider close? Strictly speaking, Dongwan was not as bad as he had said. If it was not due to the series cases that he knew Dongwan, his first impression of Dongwan might be better.

"I am glad to hear that." Eric relaxed after hearing Hyesung's reply.

"Let's eat." Hyesung just scope some rice into his mouth to prevent Eric from further questioning.

Eric eyed Hyesung and picked up his chopsticks," About that...." 

Seeing that Eric wanted to talk about something, Hyesung interrupted him. Hyesung did not want the topic to revolve around the murder cases or on Dongwan," Oh yes Eric, do you recall about the statutes that I mentioned to you? When I was found fainted by the well?"

"Statutes?" Eric scowled.

"Yes. I told you that I saw a few statutes in the woods." Hyesung put his chopsticks down and stared at the chandelier. Hyesung closed his eyes, trying to recall the details of the statutes that he saw.

"Sungie, why did you bring this up suddenly?" Eric picked up some vegetables to his bowl.

"Oh I just find them to be interesting."

Eric slowly chew his good before he swallowed. "Interesting? I seen them but I found them to be creepy."

"Do you know who is the sculptor? Any special meaning of the statues?" Hyesung grabbed this opportunity to air out his doubts.

Eric shook his head. " I am not too sure about it. There are many taboo and old tales about this mansion. If one really tries to find out all of them, well you won't think that having 72 hours a day is enough."

" I see....." Hyesung lowered his head and thereafter he raised his head," Eric ah, aren't you curious at all?"

"What is there to be curious about?" Eric scooped some soup into a small bowl and passed to Hyesung. Eric also scoop some for himself.

"Like where did those statutes came from? Their origin?" Hyesung took the bowl and drank a bit of the soup. He raised his eye brows as he found the soup to be delicious.

"Oh the soup was made from abalone and other ingredient. It was a specialty of the Mun family." Eric explained, seeing the happy look on Hyesung's face," Do you want a second helping?" Eric smiled seeing that Hyesung drank up his bowl of soup and stretched his hand to get the empty bowl. Eric refilled Hyesung's bowl. 

Eric continued," The origin or the tale behind them might had been forgotten. At least I did not hear anything about them."

"Really?" Hyesung put down his bowl," It is a pity." Hyesung's instinct told him that those statutes had something to do with the secrets in the Mun family and probably some forbidden secret behind those statutes.

"Pity?" Eric did not want to continue with his dinner. From the conversation, Eric knew that Hyesung had developed great interest in the woods and the statutes.

"Yup. I am really interested in the statutes." Hyesung lied to Eric.

"You find them interesting?" Eric was shocked at Hyesung's word. It was the first time that he heard of anyone finding the statutes interesting since his birth.

"Yup." Hyesung beamed. "So how about this. Let's take a walk in the woods to look at the statutes?" Actually, Hyesung wanted to get a closer look at that well which he did not had the chance to do so then.

Hyesung could still remembered the first time he came to the mansion and Halmeoni warned him that never to look into the wells. And Hyesung wondered why. Did the wells contained secrets that were meant to be buried away from the eyes? If he think this way, it would explain why he was assaulted near the well.

"Now? At this time?" Once the sun set, it would be dark in the woods. If without the moonlight, it would be totally pitch dark.

"Of course not now." Hyesung replied and Dongwan's words echoed in his head. " Tomorrow it's my off day and we can take a walk in the woods in the morning. Oh right and one more thing...."

"What is it Sungie?" Eric became tense when Hyesung stopped in his sentence.

"Er...." Hyesung hesitated before he continued," I am afraid that we have to find someone else to help you."

"Someone else?" Eric did not understand.

"Something happened to Professor Cho." Hyesung's voice turned hoarse.

Etic stood up from his seat and almost over turned his bowl of soup and the chair behind him," You are saying.... Professor Cho met with mishap?"

Hyesung became sad," A few hours ago, Dongwan called me and I was informed...." Hyesung was unable to continued.

Eric slammed his palms on the dinning table and caused the plates to jump, almost spilling onto the table," I just don't get it? Why it turn out this way?" Eric cradled his head in his arms and yelled.

"Eric." Hyesung came over to calm him down.

Eric looked up at Hyesung," I feel that everything happen because of me. Why my company IP was hacked? Why Dr Jihoon was murdered and led the Police to suspect me? Even Professor Cho whom I had met just once, and he......."

Hyesung opened his arms and hugged Eric.

"It will be okay. The truth will be out one day and we will uncover all that."

                              ****************************

Dongwan carried plastic bags of food in his arms while he entered into the apartment, he could not bear the condition of it. He almost had an outbreak and wanted to pulled the fella in front of the computer, to whack him up.

"F***! Is this place even fit for a human dwelling? It is worst than a sty!" Dongwan cursed while he carefully navigated his way around the supposedly living room. However a smashing sound was heard and it was unknown what Dongwan had stepped on because a stench shot up.

"Damn it!" Dongwan cursed out loud when he lowered his head. It was a disposable bowl and he was unsure what was inside it as it was a mess of blackish stuff which looked very disgusting.

"Damn you bastard! You been to school and don't you know how to clean up this place?" Dongwan decided to give a piece of his mind.

Andy merely turned his head lazily from the computer screen to look at Dongwan," You said that you won't comment on the condition of my place!"

"Aishi!" Dongwan rolled his eyes and hissed. If it was not he needed Andy's help, Dongwan would definitely picked Andy up by his collars and whacked some senses into him. "Where is Jinnie?"

Dongwan could withold from scolding and being picky but at least Andy should clean up the place. Dongwan was so irritated by the sight of it and he could not imagine staying here for more than 10 minutes!

"Buying cigarettes for me." This time, Andy did not even bother to turn his head.

"Smoking? Yah how old are you? Smoking?" Dongwan really wanted to send his flying kicks to Andy.

"Hey Ahjusshi, I am of legal age okay!" Andy was busy typing away on his keyboards with loud typing sound.

Ahjusshi! Andy called him Ahjusshi! Dongwan vowed that he would twist that head off," What is the progress?" Dongwan did not want to start any argument and he just threw the plastic bags aside and walked to the computer. Dongwan decided that the place was like a garbage dump and it would not matter where he place the food.

Andy was focusing on the screen," Nothing at the moment. Since the last time that we hacked into the system, the site has not been updated. The system administrator did not come here too. From what I can see, the members of the website seemed to have disappeared overnight."

"What!" Dongwan thought for a while before he kicked the back of Andy's chair. "Yah Andy!"

"What!" Andy was unhappy that Dongwan kicked his chair.

"Do you think it's possible that..." Dongwan could not care about Andy's unhappiness. He stopped kicking," I am asking if it's possible that someone's IP had been hacked and misused to commit crime like setting up this website?"

Andy side glanced at Dongwan," Yah Ahjusshi, what do you think I am doing?"

"Why did I need to care what you are doing?" Dongwan felt like punching Andy again. Andy was alway talking incoherently.

Andy faceplamed and looked at Dongwan while rolling his eyes," Yah Ahjusshi! I am a hacker myself; in flesh and blood in front of you and you are asking me such a bloody stupid question!"

That was it! Dongwan really going to throw some punches," Why can't you say clearly!"

Andy snorted and rolled his eyes again, sighing very helplessly," If I can easily hacked into the system to find the IP address, so using the stolen IP address to create a website would be as easy as a piece of cake!"

Dongwan hissed," Just as what I suspected. Maybe I couldn't rule out this possibility. But wouldn't one know that he had been hacked?"

"Yah Ahjusshi!  Can you stop speaking to yourself? It creeps me out." Andy whined.

Dongwan glared at Andy," I was thinking would the person even knew that he had been hacked?"

Andy smirked," That depends! "

"What do you mean?"

"If the person is a technology idiot like you Ahjusshi,  then he would not have realize it."

"Bastard! " Dongwan grabbed the back of Andy's collar," You are dying to taste my fist is it?"

"Hey! What is going on?" Junjin entered into the apartment. He could sense the deadly aura in the living room.

"Nothing." Dongwan let go of Andy's collars and turned to Junjin," Clean this place up. This is worse than a garbage dump and I can fall sick if I stayed any longer in here." Dongwan walked pass Junjin and patted his shoulders," You remain here. Once that kiddo gotten any latest information, let me know immediately. "

Junjin acknowledged while watching Dongwan walking out. Coincidentally,  Junjin turned and saw Andy making funny faces at Dongwan.