Chapter 15

The Curse of the Mansion

"Just where are you bringing me to? Police Station? Interrogate me? Arresting me? No matter what you are planning to do, I have my rights to engage my lawyer and my lawyer will settle everything!"  Once seated in Dongwan's car, Hyesung started blabbing everything in anger.

Dongwan merely took a quick glance at Hyesung from the driver seat and did not respond.

Seeing Dongwan's attitude made Hyesung even more irritated and pissed off," Even if I am your suspect, I have the right to know where you are bringing me to." Hyesung wanted to know their destination so that he could call Eric and to request him to get a lawyer to bail him out.

Dongwan started the engine and drove off," Dr Jihoon courted you, right?"

Hyesung began with a laugh," Jihoon hyung courted me? Are you crazy? How will I not know that Jihoon hyung courted me since I am involved? Even if he had, this is no big deal! Why on earth did I not revealing it to you?"

"This is what I wanted to find out too." Dongwan's voice sounded relaxed and not so authoritative as he was at the hospital earlier.

"So you are saying that I am lying!"

"Well, I would not rule out that possibility. You see, Miss Park told me that Dr Jihoon's wife ever instructed her to keep track of Dr Jihoon's movement, especially that Dr Jihoon  is going to have his junior being a houseman in the same hospital. This junior used to be someone that Dr Jihoon had courted in his university days but he failed to win the heart."

After hearing Dongwan, Hyesung started protesting," Jihoon hyung had many juniors coming to this hospital as houseman. Why did you think I am that junior! Did Miss Park say I am the one? Did she mention my name?"

"No name was mentioned." Dongwan admitted," True that there are a few houseman in the hospital who are Dr Jihoon's juniors. But this junior was close to Dr Jihoon and had the most interaction with him. After analyzing the information, beside you; which houseman is close to Dr Jihoon?"

"This..." Hyesung was unable to rebuk Dongwan. Hyesung thought for a while before denying," I do not care what you say! Do you think I am a fool to the extent that I wouldn't know Jihoon hyung courted me! I am saying again that Jihoon hyung had never ever courted me!"

"Is this so?" Dongwan turned the steering wheel with his left hand, stopping by the side of the road," You ever told me about your university days and how Dr Jihoon really took care of you."

"Yes and so what." Hyesung hissed.

"I think you are as insensitive as a block of wood." Dongwan snorted.

"What! You are saying I am a block of wood, an idiot!" Hyesung's eyes were about to burst out from his face. Dongwan was not only suspecting him to be a murderer but was humiliating him! "If I am wood and do what are you then? I think you are a ty rock that can't hear others' words, stinky and hard, and....."

"If Dr Jihoon did not like you, why will he spend the time and effort to help you with your assignment, your notes and to request the professor to help you."

This was not the first time that Dongwan interrupted him and made Hyesung lost for words; importantly, it was the first time that Hyesung was listening to Dongwan and analyzing his words.

"If Dr Jihoon is a loner like what you mention, I am certain that he will not do all those things for you. I would think Dr Jihoon was in love with you then." Dongwan continued.

There was no word from Hyesung as he really was frozen in his seat. It was as if Hyesung was shocked at the aftermath after listening to Dongwan.

Dongwan looked at Hyesung and continued," Through Miss Park, I am aware that you do not know Dr Jihoon's wife but she secretly stalked you in the hospital on a few occasions."

"Stalking me?" Hyesung managed to speak. It was frightening for Hyesung that he was the target of a stalker.

Hyesung was shivering in fear before he thought of something," You said that through Miss Park, you are aware that I do not know Jihoon hyung's wife. Why... Why did you shout and threaten me at the hospital earlier! To the extent of wanting to handcuff me! So you are making a fool out of me!" Hyesung yelled.

Dongwan covered his ear," I found Dr Jihoon's personal laptop at his place. I could not activate it as it was secured with password."

"What has it got to do with me!" Hyesung yelled again. To think that Dongwan deceived him out from hospital for this ridiculous matter.

"Yah. I am telling the truth that Dr Jihoon's wife was murdered." Dongwan knew that it was rather shameless of him to drag Hyesung from the hospital with a lie but he had no other way.

Hyesung was hopping mad that he turned and faced the window.

"I know that you will not help me to crack the password of Dr Jihoon's laptop if I was to tell it to you." Dongwan stared at Hyesung's side view. "And I visited your professor of your psychology class and he was Dr Jihoon's mentor. Like you said, the professor also deem that Dr Jihoon was a loner but he was a kind student."

Hyesung continued to stare outside of the window, unmoved by what Dongwan had said.

"This is the 4th body." Dongwan suddenly made the comment," Of course not including Dr Jihoon. The same modus operandi, female again. Counting Dr Jihoon's wife, she was the 4th victim of this serial murder cases."

Hyesung intended to ignore Dongwan but the memory of Jihoon hyung's death scene plus all those innocent victims; Hyesung gave in and he sighed.

"How can I help you?"

"According to your professor's observation, he also think that Dr Jihoon was interested in you. Can you recall if there was any word, phrase or number that are special to Dr Jihoon?"

Dongwan was motivated by Hyesung's attitude and he started the engine, preparing to drive off.

"Special? What do you mean?"

"Maybe for example your date of birth, Dr Jihoon's date of birth, the date that the two of you known each other, your identification card number, your mobile phone number, or...."

"Stop, you are saying like a bullet train and ....." Hyesung interrupted and looked at Dongwan with an arrogant expression.

"And?" Dongwan was stepping on the accelerator.

"You have not apologize to me!" Hyesung lifted his chin and crossed his arms. Instantly, Hyesung became a expert negotiator and he definitely still remember what Dongwan did and said to him at the hospital earlier.

"Aplogize?" Dongwan groaned because Hyesung was such a petty person. To think that he was still thinking of that at this critical time.

"You are too much at the hospital." Hyesung really thought that Dongwan was going to handcuff him.

"Alright. I am sorry. Happy? Satisfied?" Dongwan relented as he had important thing on hand which was to get Hyesung to crack the password on Dr Jihoon's laptop.

"I guess it will have to do." Hyesung was smirking on his victory while Dongwan sped off past the few yellow traffic lights.

"Are you bringing me to the Police station?" Hyesung grabbed his seat belt tightly, fearing that he would be thrown out of the car by the crazy speed that Dongwan was going at.

"Relax. I am famed for being the safest driver in my department." Dongwan spied at Hyesung's action.

Hyesung was thinking loud in his mind 'To hell that this is safe!' Dongwan was driving like a driver of F1 race.

"Are we proceeding to the Police station?" Hyesung asked again.

"Nope." Dongwan finally responded.

"No? Where the hell are we going?"

"To Dr Jihoon's place."

                               ******************************

Dongwan once again came to Dr Jihoon's place, except that he was not alone but bringing Hyesung along.

"Yah. We can switch on the lights! Why aren't you doing that?" Hyesung grumbled because it was not the first time that he bumped into something since they entered into Dr Jihoon's place.

"Huh? Switch on the lights?" Dongwan snorted. Hyesung sweared that the way Dongwan responded seemed like Hyesung was joking.

"Of course! What can we find out in this darkness?" Hyesung was so pissed off with Dongwan's attitude.

"I have torchlight." Dongwan waved his hand.

"To hell that your torchlight is more powerful than the lights." Hyesung was feeling the walls, trying to locate the light switches.

"My advice is that you halt what you are intending to do?" Dongwan grabbed Hyesung's hands.

"Why?"

"Have you hear that a thief dare to switch on lights?" Dongwan raised his eye brows. Dongwan decided to ignore Hyesung and took out his voice recorder from his shirt pocket, beginning his second search.

"Me a thief!" Hyesung frightened and prayed that it was not what he thought it was. Hyesung quickly pulled at Dongwan's sleeve," Don't tell me that you did not apply for search warrant and that we are trepassing into Jihoon hyung's property?"

"Oh, you had guess correctly but half of it." Dongwan was walking up the mansion as he had searched the living room earlier in the day. Now, Dongwan was going upstairs.

"Ya, what do you mean that I guessed correctly but half of it?" Hyesung was wondering. If Dongwan had search warrant then it was okay but if he did not have, it was illegal. Hyesung could not understand what was half correct.

Dongwan stopped in his track and turned around, shining his torch. The light from his torch happened to hit Dongwan's face, making him look creepy. Hyesung was scared a bit and almost fell down from the stairs.

"What the f*** are you doing? I almost fell to my death! I would haunt you forever if I die!"

"Haha, I didn't know that you are such a scaredy cat." Dongwan chuckled and began to pull Hyesung's hand.

Hyesung rolled his eyes," Answer me, what do you mean by I guessed correctly but half?"

"I had search warrant and I came here in the day."

"So?"

Hyesung hissed and wanted his reply.

"So..." Dongwan coughed a bit," Now, I had no search warrant."

"No search warrant!" Hyesung began to understand the situation and he was hopping mad," You are saying, you made me committing a crime of Criminal Trepass!"

Hyesung's voice was too loud and Dongwsn striked out his hand to cover Hyesung's mouth. "Aishi, keep your volume down. Don't make it sound so bad. I came in the day but I had to leave halfway due up the discovery of the body of Dr Jihoon's wife. My gut feeling tell me that something is amiss and the clue to solve all these lies in this mansion."

"Hmm...hmm...hmm.." Hyesung was trying to say something but his mouth was covered and so his words sounded muffled.

Dongwan looked at Hyesung in despair," Look, if you promise to lower your voice; I will remove my hand."

Hyesung glared at Dongwan and thereafter he nodded.

Dongwan retracted his hand and looked at Hyesung for his reaction. "Let's continue?"

Dongwan was reluctant but he could only shot deadly glance towards Dongwan.

"Let's go to Dr Jihoon's entertainment place upstairs."

"Fine." Hyesung sounded pissed off. Dongwan was not bother and continued climbing the stairs. While walking up the stairs, Hyesung saw the rows of photo frames on the side of the wall.

"Wait!" Hyesung hissed to Dongwan." I need to borrow your torchlight." Hyesung found that the scenary and angle in the photo were very familiar.

"What have you discover?" The stairs were just enough for the two of them to stand side by side.

Hyesung took the torch light and brought it in front of the photos. Hyesung scrutinized them and he closed his eyes to recall from his memories. "This clock tower was from the Medical  faculty." Hyesung opened his eyes and there was shockness in his iris.

Dongwan noticed it," What? So what if it is the clock tower from your faculty?"

"That... That..." Hyesung's finger was shakily pointing at a black spot in the top right hand corner of the photo. 

"What?" Dongwan took the torchlight from Hyesung and shone on the black spot. "A person."

Hyesung did not respond and his heart was beating fast.

"Who is the person?" Dongwan was curious and it could be related to the cases.

Hyesung turned his face to Dongwan and he was very pale," That was me...."

"You?" Dongwan was mentally pulling his hair. What did Hyesung had to appear that he had seen a ghost where his image was capture accidentally in the photo! Did Hyesung had to look so pale and with body trembling?