The Gifts

Letters: Dear Jessica
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N] I was listening to 'Lost In Love' on repeat while writing this. You may want to do that too, while reading. 

1 shot. 2 shots. 3 shots. 4 shots... Tiffany couldn't even keep count of how many shots Jessica took. All she could see was her buddy downing the shots one by one, as if they were plain water. She didn't stop her, because she knew that it was what her dear friend needed at that moment. All those time when Jessica confided in her, about how Taeyeon was ignoring her, about what she wondered she did wrong, about how badly she wanted to be close with Taeyeon like the good old times. And then all those time when Taeyeon confided in her, about how painful it was to keep pretending like she was upset at Jessica for no reason, about how worried she was about Jessica, about how she couldn't continue doing that any more, and then calling her up in the middle of the night and cry her eyes out after making Jessica cry once again. It was as painful for Tiffany as the two, since she had promised Taeyeon never to tell Jessica the truth. Tiffany wanted so much to tell Jessica that the Taeyeon she thought had hated her actually loved her more than anyone else in the world, but she couldn't. All she could do was to make up lies each and every time, about how Taeyeon was just tired, and that she still loved her, but Jessica never believed any of those. How was it possible for Jessica to believe that when all she could see was Taeyeon ignoring her again and again? Tiffany looked on in pain, as Jessica slowly lost herself in alcohol.

Tiffany's phone rang, suddenly, snapping her out of her trance as she watched Jessica. She sighed when she saw who the caller was, but she picked it up all the same.

"Hey." Her tone was depressed, and it was obvious to possibly every breathing human, let alone her best friend.

"Fany ah..."

"Mmm..."

"That kid... Is she okay...?"

"Tiff! Come on. Drink with me. Come on you alcohol maniac. Hehehehe." Before Tiffany could reply, the phone picked up Jessica's voice at the background and it worried the caller.

"Fany ah is she drinking?"

"No you drink. I don't feel like drinking." Tiffany's voice was a little muffled as she talked to Jessica before she returned to the call.

"Yeah... She drank a lot, and she's still drinking. But we should let her be, shouldn't we?"

"Take care of her..."

"I will..."

"Okay... I'll hang up then... By-"

"No wait Taeyeon ah." Tiffany still had something to say and she panicked when Taeyeon was about to hang up, and she accidentally called her name out, with her not-so-soft voice.

"Taeyeon?"

"Ah no I-"

Before Tiffany could even finish denying, her phone was snatched right out of her hand. Despite trying really hard to get it back, she was no match for Jessica, especially when she was drunk because Jessica never knew how to hold her strength back when she was drunk. Tiffany gave up after a while, and sat there in defeat, watching Jessica.

"Taeyeonnnnnnnnn!" Taeyeon found herself biting hard on her teeth as tears welled up in her eyes when Jessica's voice sounded in the receiver.

"..."

"Taeyeon ahhhhhhh." The older girl's lips trembled and she lifted her hand as she bit on her knuckles in her attempt to stop crying.

"..."

"You...you can't just leave me like that...you know...?" The first stream of tears rolled down Taeyeon's cheeks.

"..."

"It's not fair... I...I thought you hated me... Then you tell me that you love me..." Taeyeon didn't know hard she was pressing the phone to her ears to hear the voice she had missed so much.

"..."

"Taengoo I... Don't leave me... Please..." By this time, Taeyeon's tears were flowing freely, and she couldn't stop.

"..."

"Don't...don't leave... Don't leave me Taeyeon ah..."

"Sica ya..." The older girl couldn't even control herself as she blurted the name out, shakily.

"Taeyeon ah...does it really matter how you feel towards me...? I... Can't we just stay the same...? Please can't we just...I..." It was more painful for Taeyeon to hear Jessica crying in between her words.

"You can't ever love me that way...isn't it?" Taeyeon forced herself to ask the younger girl.

"I... Taeyeon ah I..." Jessica knew that she couldn't do that. She really loved Taeyeon, but as a friend, as a sister, as a family member. Either way, she couldn't lose Taeyeon, but she had no idea how to ask her to stay. She knew she was selfish, but right now she was drunk, and she figured that she could use that as an excuse to hold onto her, not that she could actually control herself from doing anything else.

"Sica ya. I'm sorr-"

"Don't say sorry to me... Don't say sorry to me! JUST DON'T LEAVE!"

"I..."

"I HATE YOU KIM TAEYEON! I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU FOR LEAVING ME. I HATE Y-"

"That's enough. ENOUGH."

Tiffany seized the chance to snatch the phone back, and Jessica broke down as her head leaned on her arms.

"Taeyeon ah..." Tiffany's concerned voice sounded through the receiver again. Taeyeon couldn't say anything, and all Tiffany could hear was the sobbing sounds from her best friend. "Taeyeon ah I'll call you later, okay? Don't mind her... She's drunk. She doesn't mean what she said. Don't mind her, okay?" There was silence for a while, before Tiffany heard a slight "mmm" from Taeyeon. "I love you Taeyeon." When she heard another "mmm", she reluctantly hung up.

She turned to look at Jessica, and her hand automatically went up to pat Jessica's back. "What do I do with you Jessi...?" She said, before pulling herself close to Jessica, tightly hugging her friend who was crying really badly.

***

The blinding sunlight shining into the room was irritating Jessica, as she reluctantly opened her eyes. The headache got to her soon enough and she clutched her head in pain. The door clicked open almost coincidentally as Tiffany walked in with a glass of water. Seeing Tiffany made Jessica remember everything that had happened the night before, that is, until her fifth or sixth shot, and that was before she managed to talk to Taeyeon. "Eat this." There were two pills on Tiffany's palm and Jessica gladly took them and gulped them down with the glass of water before putting the glass down on the table beside her.

"Just how much did I drink last night?"

"Don't even ask. I honestly think you were just about to get alcohol poisoning. Just about."

"What...? That much?"

"Yeah. I didn't stop you 'cause I thought you probably needed those drinks..."

"Ah... Right... I swear I can't remember anything. I only remember drinking about...5 shots?"

"I'm glad you can't remember."

"What? Why?"

"Do you really wanna know?"

"Yeah. I hope I didn't do anything stupid."

"Do you consider telling Taeyeon that you hate her stupid?"

"WHAT?!"

"Yes. That was what you did."

" no! I drunk called her?"

"No. She called me and you snatched the phone from me."

"And you didn't stop me?"

"I did. But you wouldn't let me."

"Gosh. What else did I say to her? Oh my gosh I must have been crazy!"

"You told her not to leave..."

"WHAT?!"

"Don't say sorry to me... Don't say sorry to me! JUST DON'T LEAVE!" Tiffany imitated her.

"Oh my gosh no. Please don't tell me that was what I did. Please just. No." Jessica's face flushed with embarrassment.

"That was EXACTLY what you said."

"... Ah whatever... What's done is done. Is she...okay?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter