The Promise

Letters: Dear Jessica
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N] Well... Surprise! 

5 years passed by in a flash. Jessica, who found herself missing Korea before she even graduated, made the decision to stay in Korea permanently after graduation. It had been two years since she had moved back to Korea. Her house wasn't too far away from where the dorm of Girls' Generation used to be. She loved seeing the building because it reminded her of all the memories, and the people she met. She still kept in touch with every Girls' Generation member, all except the one she really cherished. However, thinking of that woman didn't make her sad any more. In fact, thinking of her made her smile, every single time.

It was another normal evening for her, as she drove past their old dorm on the way back home. Before she even reached the doorstep, she could hear baby Erika crying. She shook her head while smiling before she opened the door. "Mom I'm back. Oh honey you're home early." She greeted her mother who was carrying Erika and her husband who was playing peek-a-boo with the little one. "Erikaaaa! Mommy's home. Did you miss mommy?" Jessica gently tapped Erika's tiny nose before kissing her on the forehead. "Honey go and have a shower. I'll get dinner ready for you." The happy wife smiled and gave her really caring husband a hug before heading to the bathroom. She wasn't the only member who had a kid by then. Hyoyeon, Sunny, Sooyoung and Yoona all had kids too. In fact, Sooyoung had two. Tiffany too had only told her two months ago that she was pregnant. Yuri and Seohyun were happily married and didn't have plans to have kids yet. As expected, she didn't know about Taeyeon. She had stopped asking Tiffany about Taeyeon a few months after they had separated, because she figured out that it would be better for the two of them.

***

Tiffany was taking a break from work because of her pregnancy and she took the chance to fly to Korea to visit her fellow members. She and Jessica had plans to meet at a cafe once again to relive their good old days. Jessica wasn't late this time, but she was surprised when Tiffany wasn't there yet. Wondering if she had gotten the meeting time mixed up, she called Tiffany, who picked up immediately.

"Hey Jessi!"

"We're meeting now right? Or did I get the timing wrong?"

"Yeah we're meeting now! I'm so sorry I'm like trapped in a jam because there's an accident or something at the front. I'll be there pretty soon though! I'm already at the vicinity."

"Oh okay! Don't worry I'll just wait. Don't rush alright? Your baby's more important!"

"Yes okay!"

Jessica smiled as she hung up. All of them were no longer girls. They were already women, women with their own families. Sometimes, she couldn't quite believe how fast time had passed.

Tiffany didn't arrive that soon. Twenty minutes had passed since their phone call, but Jessica didn't get impatient, unlike the past her. Becoming a mother surely changed her in some ways. She decided to check her social media to kill some time.

"I took really long didn't I?" Jessica smiled before she even saw her face. When she looked up at the person who was already settling herself down on the seat opposite her, she got the biggest shock of her life.

"Kim Taeyeon?! You..." Jessica kept staring with agape, her eyes were almost popping out. The woman sitting right in front of her no longer looked like a kid. Instead, she looked like a gorgeous lady, with long wavy brown hair. Other than the different aura she was releasing, she was pretty much the old Kim Taeyeon whom Jessica knew. The same dress sense. The same favourite Chanel bag she was carrying. The same...smile.

"Close your mouth please. I know we're no longer members of the nation's girl group, but that doesn't mean you should stop watching your image." Taeyeon laughed as she said. Jessica did close , but she didn't stop staring. Boy hadn't she missed her buddy. "Are you going to just look at me like that Jessica-ssi?"

"No I..." Jessica could't quite speak. The shorter woman looked into Jessica's eyes and smiled before looking away, while Jessica kept her eyes fixed on hers. After a while, Taeyeon met Jessica's eyes again.

"It's really nice to see you again, Sica ya." Jessica swallowed her saliva.

"This...is not a dream right? You're really here right? Taeyeonie?" Taeyeon laughed at how silly her dear friend looked at that moment. She reached out and relentlessly smacked Jessica's hand. "OUCH WHAT WAS THAT FOR KIM TAEYEON?!" Jessica retracted her hand and looked at the hand which was turning red before turning to look at Taeyeon again in disbelief.

"You asked me if this was a dream..." Taeyeon feigned innocence, and Jessica found herself unable to hold back a wide smile.

Taking a deep breath, Jessica began her attempt to catch up with this woman she had cherished so much.

"You...came back?"

"No. I flew to Africa and you bumped into me." Taeyeon said matter-of-factly, successfully making Jessica laugh and making it more comfortable for the two of them.

"Don't be stupid. I mean...are you really back for good?"

"I am. I actually just arrived not too long ago."

"What? Seriously? Wait. Which means..."

"I came to meet you straight from the airport."

"W-why...?"

"Because I missed you." Jessica bit hard on her teeth as she heard those words straight from Taeyeon's lips. She had missed her so much too. She had let her go only because she said that she needed to find her own happiness.

"I missed you too, you heartless fella." Taeyeon let out a laugh. That familiar laugh.

"I'm back now, isn't it?"

"Taeyeon ah..."

"Hmm?"

"I'm sor-"

"No. Don't. Do you remember what I said?" Taeyeon cut her words.

"You...said too much..." Jessica suddenly cracked a joke, catching Taeyeon off guard, before she burst out laughing.

"Yes I know I said too much."

"Remember what, anyway?"

"The last present."

"Uh-huh... What about the last present?"

"The promises."

"Ah. About holding me tight, about not ignoring me any more, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter