Like on a Sugar High

Writer's Bloopers

* * *

Violently kicking away his blankets, Kyuhyun bolts out of bed, suddenly, in the black of night.

Completely crumpled, the white hotel bedsheets speak of his sleepless hours. Unfortunately, in Kyuhyun’s case exhaustion and insomnia seem to go hand in hand. The massive concert he’s participated in tonight rolls like a faded movie in front of Kyuhyun’s eyes, all neon lights and camera flashes. Many years have passed since Super Junior gained worldwide fame, but Kyuhyun’s brain is stubbornly refusing to get used to one simple fact: while on tour, they sleep in separate rooms.

Thundering into his own separate kitchen in his own separate hotel apartment, the maknae cannot help but wonder who on Earth would call this separate setup “better” and “more comfortable”. Kyuhyun doesn’t feel comfortable at all, that’s for sure. Not when it’s almost two in the morning and even the tiniest creaks boom like off-tune trumpets.

Grabbing an instant coffee from his own personal coffeemaking machine, Kyuhyun decides he will not take any of this crap anymore. If he can’t sleep, then he’ll make sure to keep his hyungs awake as well. At least, that’s what he plans – to burst into Leeteuk’s apartment like there’s a massive zombie army on the loose. Hopefully, he’ll make big enough of a racket to wake up the other hyungs as well.

* * *

But Kyuhyun’s night, or should it be called a morning, takes quite a different turn when he stumbles upon a lonely figure idling in the hotel lobby. When he sees the man in question trying to read one of those tourist guide/map/basic facts brochures they hand out at hotels, Kyuhyun cannot help but smile. Even in a state of absolute exhaustion, Yesung hyung is still trying to learn something new. Only, when the times comes to show what he has learned, Yesung always miraculously manages to embarrass himself, despite all odds being in his favour. It’s funny, but also sad, and Kyuhyun is positive he’s the only one crazy enough to find Yesung’s fails and clumsiness cute.

Like those flaws aren’t enough, Yesung hyung is also socially awkward. Knowing that, Yeusng is now trying to ignore the maknae approaching him, even though they’ve been friends for years. Over time, Yesung figured avoiding human contact is the only way he’s safe from embarrassment. However, that doesn’t in any way mean he’s mastered the art of avoiding people. Much like everything else, Yesung’s avoiding skills are a glorious example of an epic fail. With Kyuhyun a meter away, Yesung buries his face into the tiny book that was almost three times smaller than his head and thus completely insufficient to hide his presence.

“Oi, hyung!”

Still pretending he’s absorbed in reading, Yesung suddenly leaps off the couch in surprise as a coffee cup is slammed onto his table.

“Umm, I don’t need coffee, I should actually go to sleep-”

“Cut the crap.”

Despite the maknae’s not-so-polite mannerisms, Yesung does as he’s told and sips the artificial-tasting drink. One thing Super Junior haven’t managed to squeeze into their schedule for SM TOWN PARIS is to actually SEE Paris, and Yesung’s dying for a nicer ambient and better coffee than a deserted lobby and a puddle of chemical goo. However, about the company currently sitting with him Yesung has no complaints, and Kyuhyun seems to know that.

The very air around the maknae radiates some kind of an unbreakable, infinitely secure confidence, the kind that would keep you calm in a battlefield, if only Kyuhyun stood somewhere near. At least, that’s what Yesung thinks as Kyuhyun throws his body into the white cushions next to him.

It’s not long before the coffee (or the placebo?) starts working, and both of their brains stir a little from their tired daze.

“Whatcha readin?”

And there Yesung starts blabbering like he usually does when you ask about something he’s interested in, and Kyuhyun doesn’t interrupt much as Yesung talks on and on, about the Eifel Tower and the river Seine and the cosy little cafes the brochure said you could find in the labyrinthine streets of Paris.

“So what are we waiting for?”

There are things in this world that you can never quite figure out. Yesung knows this painfully well and is reminded of it every time Kyuhyun makes that face. Eyes reduced to slits, Kyuhyun’s gaze harbors something like a challenging glint, although Yesung is certain that’s not all there is to it.

Kyuhyun eyes him intensely, waiting for an answer.

“You mean… to go now?! B-but how?!“

“On foot. Or by subway. Or by taxi. Or by bus. Or by train. Or by plane. You choose.”

Yes, Kyuhyun had a thing for purposely misinterpreting the question. He’ll tell you anything but what you ask, and when you clarify your point Kyuhyun will find another way to misunderstand you.

But Yesung doesn’t feel tired anymore, not with a coffee splashing around in his belly and a challenge set before him. So he sits there in the neon-lit lobby, playing along with Kyuhyun’s perks, getting tangled into something like a word game and racking his mind to come up with witty comebacks. To his surprise, sometimes his replies catch Kyuhyun off guard, and he assumes the other is just exhausted after their concert, much like everyone else.

“Hey, Kyuhyun, wanna grab some more coffee?”

Before they know it they’re sipping cup after cup of brown sugary liquid, and Kyuhyun finally reveals his ingenious idea.

“We go. Wherever you want, for a night. We don’t even need cash. We just go.”

It was a very, very stupid idea indeed. A completely irresponsible, reckless adventure, something born of a teenage mind, not a 23-year-old man’s. And yet, it fit Kyuhyun’s character completely. That kind of crazy action is to be expected, yet Yesung somehow never managed to get quite accustomed to Kyuhyun’s ways. But an occasional shock comes off as strangely pleasant and Yesung is already out on the street, dragged on by Kyuhyun’s trembling hand.

Yesung is at a loss as to why Kyuhyun’s hand is shaking, but he supposes this city and these lights are enough to make an impact on anyone.

Because this particular winter night is strangely warm, the city lights more bright that they seemed from the van the previous day, the balconies above are decorated with elegant wrought-iron fences and there is a sweet scent of honey and chocolate in the air...

* * *