Chapter Seven

Tiny Hearts

 

 

“He…lp….” stammered the little one, his voice breaking and breathy, as he pleaded softly into the phone. “Please…”

“Da…ddy….please…” he begged again, his voice trembling uncontrollably as he seemed to push back another terrified and heartbreaking sob. “Help…”

As the sound of Moonbin’s voice echoed in his ears, and the flash of Jaejoong somehow bleeding to death on the floor flickered across his mind, the feeling of sheer panic jolted throughout Yunho’s whole body and he shot up from the edge of the bed in fear.

“Daddy’s coming, Binnie…” reassured Yunho instinctively as he grabbed his wristwatch from the bedside table and darted for his dresser. “Hold on…I’m coming.”

Grabbing the first pair of jeans he could find, Yunho pressed the phone between his shoulder and his cheek and put them on as fast as he could. Not even worrying about the disheveled state he was in, he continued to reassure the panicked child on the line as he grabbed his wallet and darted out of the bedroom. As the pounding sound of fast approaching, heavy footsteps echoed into the living room, Jihye sat up at looked up at the hallway just as a worried, and nearly panicked, Yunho stepped into the room with his phone glued to his ear.

“Yunnie…?” she questioned sleepily, flipping on the lamp beside the couch curiously, as she looked at her brother worriedly. To see him in such a state, instantly made her fear the worst.

“What’s wrong?” she questioned as she threw the blanket off her body and stood up. “Is someone hurt?”

“Can you watch Seungwoon for me?” he answered hurriedly as he ran across the living room, grabbed his house keys from the nightstand, slipped on his shoes, and instantly threw on one of the jackets hanging on the nearby coat rack.

“Su….re.” she stammered, feeling almost overwhelmed by the terrified look on her brother’s face before she reassured him with a quick understanding nod. “Go!”

“Thanks!” he barked quickly before grabbing a black bag lying on the floor beside the coatrack and bolting out the front door, not even caring to close it behind him.

The normally ten-minute walk across the park, shortened heavily by Yunho’s emphatic pace, was the longest three minutes of Yunho’s life. As he ran, his mind and heart raced with erratic flashes of horrible causes for Jaejoong’s condition. Though he tried to coax more details from the little one the whole way, while trying to reassure him as best he could, Moonbin’s ability to explain was far too detached from the situation to offer any clues as to what had happened –leaving Yunho’s mind to wonder over and over. The closer and closer he came to the door of Jaejoong’s apartment building the more and more his mind began to cloud with unspeakable and unbearable thoughts.

Hitting the front doors of the building in a full-on sprint, Yunho slung them open and darted for the stairwell; casting aside the thoughts of the slow and malicious elevator that would only take up more time, and began to take the steps two and three at a time. In a matter of a few tense moments, he made it to the top the stairs, darted through the door onto Jaejoong’s floor, and headed towards the man’s apartment.

“Binnie…” called out Yunho huffing and puffing, into the open air and the phone, as he came to stop at Jaejoong’s closed door. “Daddy’s here…open the door….”

“O…k….” answered the little boy into the phone.

A second later, from behind the metal barring him from his object of worry, Yunho could hear the sound of shuffling little feet and fearful sniffles softly permeating the air. When the door opened, he looked down and froze as the sight of the little one’s bloodshot eyes and tear-stained pale cheeks came into view.

“Daddy…” cried out Moonbin as he lunged for Yunho. Bending down and grabbing fearful boy in his arms, Yunho hugged the child reassuringly as the all too familiar smell of fresh blood assaulted his nose. “Daddy’s…here…to help…Mama?”

“I’m here…” he reassured the child with a loving caress on the shaking boy’s shoulder as his heart and mind ached for the little one. “Where’s Mama…?”

Pushing away from Yunho, Moonbin grabbed his hand and immediately pulled him into the apartment and down the narrow hallway towards the small bathroom across from the kitchen. When they rounded the door frame, and Yunho’s eyes landed on Jaejoong lying unconscious on the floor in a pool of blood, Yunho’s heart instantly sank. Stepping into the room and kneeling down, Yunho dropped his bag on the floor beside him.

“Jaejoong…?” called out Yunho worriedly as he grabbed Jaejoong by shoulders and turned him onto his back carefully. “Can you hear me?”

Silence.

“.” thought Yunho as he immediately began to scan for signs of life.

“He’s breathing…” he sighed in relief as he caught the sight of Jaejoong’s chest shallowly rising and erratically falling and instantly pressed his fingers to the man’s jugular to check his pulse. “Irregular…”

Scanning the room quickly, for any signs of the cause of Jaejoong unconscious state, Yunho eyes widened when he saw a minute amount of blood splatter on the edge of the tub. Turning his eyes back to the man before him, he wondered if Jaejoong had slipped and hit his head. Reaching up and brushing away the man’s bangs, Yunho caught the site of a deep gash just under Jaejoong’s hairline.

“Red...” cried Moonbin worriedly. “Mama hurt…”

Digging his hand into his jacket pocket quickly, Yunho grabbed his phone and instantly dialed a number he knew all too well.

“Seoul University Hospital, Kate speaking…” came a soft female voice. “What’s your emergency?”

“Kate, it’s me,” replied Yunho.

“Oh, Yunho…,” she exclaimed in surprise. “I…is everything alright?”

“Lock on to my GPS signal…” he replied authoritatively. “and have a wagon routed to this location immediately.”

“The fifth floor,” he added.

“Situation?” she questioned hurriedly.

“Male, approximately twenty-nine years old. 110lbs. Unconscious, non-responsive.” rattled off Yunho; as if the words falling from his mouth were the most natural thing in the world; as he reached into the black bag beside him and pulled out a penlight and checked the unconscious man’s pupils. “Pupils: dilated but responsive. Hypopnea. Bradycardia. Horizontal contusion upper lateral forehead with possible Hypovolemia shock.”

“Cause?” she questioned as she continued typing the information into the console before her.

“Primary cause: blunt force trauma,” he answered, his voice sounding so uncharacteristically frightened than Kate had ever heard coming from the normally composed man. “Secondary cause: unknown.”

“Medications…?” she questioned worriedly, not liking the sound of the voice of one of her dearest friends, as she continued to direct the information to the dispatcher.

“Medications?” he questioned before turning to the worried face of Moonbin.

“Binnie?” he asked gently, trying to reassure the frightened boy with a calming voice, after taking a cleansing breath. “Does Mama take any medicine?”

“Med…i…cine?” questioned Moonbin curiously. “You mean the stuff that looks like candy… that isn’t candy? The stuff in the brown bottles I can’t play with?”

“Yes, baby,” he answered reassuringly; understanding what it was that Jaejoong must have told the boy about medicines, and not touching them, almost immediately.

“There…” he said as he raised his little hand and pointed to the mirrored cabinet hanging on the wall, above the sink, just behind Yunho.

As Kate waited on the other end of the line, Yunho quickly stood up and opened the cabinet door.

“…” he growled in disappointment as the site of rows and rows of brown bottles came into view.

“Yunho…?” questioned Kate into the phone.

“Checking,” he reassured her as he began to grab the bottles one by one and scanned the labels.

“Klonopin…Xanex…Vallium…Paxil…Prozac…Dilantin…Lithium…Lorpressor…Coumadin…Nitroglicerine….Nortriptyline HCL….”

After a few moments, Yunho just sighed as his mind processed the medicinal combination of the drugs before him.

“Secondary cause: possible adverse drug interaction,” he answered sadly as the list of medications, and what they were all for, suddenly made his heartache.

“Understood,” confirmed Kate as she typed the information into the console quickly.

“Wagon is in route, Yunho,” she informed a few seconds later as the sound of the confirmation from the dispatcher rang through the earpiece over Yunho’s call. “ETA: six minutes.”

“Have trauma one prepped and ready –with counteragents,” he ordered as he grabbed all of Jaejoong’s medicines and threw them into his bag. “Who’s on duty tonight?”

“Dr. Park,” she responded. “I’ll inform him immediately and have the staff on standby.”

“Thank you,” replied Yunho before ending the call abruptly.

True to Kate’s prediction, the elevator ding signaling the arrival of the paramedics rang out six minutes later and mere seconds before Yunho’s phone rang.

“Hello?” questioned Yunho as he put the phone to his ear.

“Which apartment?” questioned the male voice on the other end of the line.

“1225,” replied Yunho.

Moments later, two men dressed in light blue EMT uniforms appeared in front of Jaejoong’s apartment door. As one seemed to adjust the gurney close to the door frame, the second man immediately hurried into the apartment with his trauma bag in his hand.

“Hello?” he called out curiously.

“In here.” barked Yunho worriedly.

“Dr. Jung?” questioned the young man in surprise as he rounded the door frame and caught sight of Yunho –instantly recognizing one of the hospital’s most well-known trauma surgeons.

“Yoon Seok.” nodded Yunho in affirmation as he motioned for the man to come closer.

Kneeling down beside Jaejoong, Yoon-Seok went to work –checking the man’s vitals as Yunho and Moonbin watched on.

“Friend of yours?” he questioned softly, glancing at Yunho for only second before grabbing the oxygen tank and facemask from the side of his large, red-colored med bag.

“Yeah,” replied Yunho as he caught a glimpse of the second EMT, who he knew as Minwoo, walking into the small bathroom.

“We’re all set when you’re ready to move him,” informed Minwoo while Yoon-Seok attached the leads to their portable heart monitor.

As the sound of Jaejoong’s erratic heartbeat began to ring out through the tiny room, represented by the gentle beeps from the monitor, Yunho heard Moonbin whimper.

“Is Mama….going to be ok?” he questioned in a deflated and heartbroken voice.

“Mama?” questioned Yoon-Seok softly as he ripped open a sterile gauze packet for Jaejoong’s forehead and shot a curious glance at Yunho.

“I’ll explain later,” whispered Yunho before standing up and walking to Moonbin’s side.

“Mama’s going to be just fine…” he reassured as he patted the head of the worried child before him. “I promise.”

“These nice uncles are some of Daddy’s closest friends…” he offered, trying to reassure the boy who was on the verge of tears once more, as Minwoo stepped around them and went to help Yoon-Seok. “They will take very good care of Mama.”

“Daddy?” whispered Minwoo curiously, shooting a questioning glance at his partner who replied simply with a confused shrug of the shoulders.

“We’re ready to move him.” declared Yoon-Seok a few moments later. “Clear a path Yunho.”

“Let me do it.” countered Yunho as he turned to Yoon-Seok and Minwoo. “He’s my responsibility.”

“Since when?” questioned Minwoo and Yoon-Seok in their minds.

Not wanting to argue, the EMTs stepped back and allowed Yunho to lift Jaejoong off the floor.  Readjusting his leads, and checking one more time to make sure Jaejoong was still breathing, Yunho carefully picked the man up and tried his best not to jar him in any way. Turning towards the door, he nodded at little Moonbin with a smile and carried Jaejoong out to the awaiting gurney sitting in the hallway outside the apartment. Laying him down gently, he readjusted Jaejoong’s unconscious form while the EMTs went to work securing him.

“Daddy?” questioned Moonbin as he clutched his Mama’s cell phone in one hand tightly and tugged on Yunho’s pant leg worriedly with the other. “We going to da hospital now?”

“Yes, baby,” he said lovingly as he turned to the little one and scooped him up.

“Daddy going to fix Mama?” he questioned gently and he clutched Yunho’s shirt and cuddle deep in crook of his neck.

“Yes, baby…” he reassured. “I promise.”

By the time they arrived at Seoul University Hospital’s emergency department over half of the emergency room staff, and the on-duty physician was prepped and ready for their oncoming patient. A slew of nurses and technicians, already abreast of Jaejoong’s condition, waited patiently just inside the glass doors to the department. The moment the doors opened, and they spotted the EMT’s pushing Jaejoong in, they quickly went to work –taking him into trauma one without delay. As Yunho followed in behind them, he quickly stopped when he saw Kate running towards him with a white coat in her arms.

“There you are.” she breathed out worriedly.

“Hey,” replied Yunho. “Is everything set?”

“Dr. Park made sure everything was ready,” she explained. “He’s treating the young man as a ‘priority one’ patient since it was you who called it in.”

“Ok.” nodded Yunho as he turned his worried eyes towards trauma one.

“Who’s this little cutie?” questioned Kate as she spied Moonbin cradled in Yunho’s arms. “His family?”

“His hero.” smiled Yunho as he reached up and rubbed Moonbin’s shoulder lovingly.

“Kate…” he questioned. “would you mind?”

After a quick but affirming nod, Yunho turned his attention to Moonbin.

“Binnie…” he said calmly as he pulled the little one from the crook of his neck so he could see his face. “You see this auntie here.”

Moonbin looked up at the woman and nodded softly.

“This is Daddy’s best-est big sister,” he replied. “Her name is Auntie Kate. Can you say hi?”

The little boy just shook his head no.

“Want Mama,” he muttered brokenheartedly.

“I know baby…” reassured Yunho softly. “but for Mama to get all better, you need to let Daddy go help.”

“Can you be a good little Binnie and let Auntie Kate watch over you?” he questioned lovingly. “So I can help Mama?”

“I promise…” he added with a smile. “that the very minute Mama wakes up you will be the first person that gets to see him. Ok?”

“That’s right,” reassured Kate as she smiled at the little boy.

“So what do you say Binnie?” prompted Yunho. “Is it ok?”

“Ok…” breathed out Moonbin as he looked at Kate.

As Kate reached out and let Moonbin climb into her arms, she smiled knowingly at Yunho. She had always known that he had always had an affinity for kids but to see him so cool and calm in a situation that had obviously rattled him so, made her respect the young doctor even more.

“Here…” she said after Moonbin was safely nestled in her arms, as she handed Yunho his doctor’s coat. “Stethoscope’s in the pocket.”

“Thanks,” replied Yunho as he instinctively leaned in and pecked Moonbin on the head. “Daddy will be back soon.”

By the time Yunho made it to trauma one, the whole area was a flurry of movement; nurses running here and there, lab technicians drawing blood samples; while the on-staff doctor barked orders to anyone who would listen. Pulling his stethoscope from his pocket and slinging it around his neck, Yunho walked up to Jaejoong’s bedside.

“Vitals?” questioned Yunho without looking at the doctor standing on the other side of the gurney.

“Temp: 101.5°F. Heart rate: 102BPM…” rattled off Dr. Park. “Respiratory rate: 13 breaths per minute. Blood Pressure: 140 over 100. Oxygen Saturation: 86%”

“Eighty-six percent?” panicked Yunho instantly as he glanced up at the blood bag hanging from the I.V stand. “Are you sure?”

“Last reading was taken five minutes ago. Resulted at 86% blood oxygenation,” responded Dr. Kim, as he reached out a pushed a button on the monitor in front of him. “I’ll take it again.”

“We have to get that back up to normal levels and fast,” replied Yunho worriedly. “If it drops below eighty-percent his organs will start to fail.”

“Yunho…” scolded Dr. Park softly under his breath. “There’s no need to panic just yet. His vitals have already begun to stabilize since the medics took their first readings.”

“I know he’s your friend,” he whispered, softly. “But you need to calm down buddy.”

“Sorry…” replied Yunho breathily. “Chunnie.”

“It’s ok…” dismissed Yoochun with a smile. “I understand.”

“Have you heard anything back from the lab?” questioned Yunho as he pulled the intuitively placed penlight from his upper pocket and checked Jaejoong’s pupils again.

“In process...as we speak,” replied Yoochun. “But looking at his symptoms, vitals, and the medicine list you provided to the EMTs, I have a sneaking suspicion that your intuition about an adverse drug reaction is more plausible than not.”

“I don’t know who this patient’s doctor is…but the man’s an idiot.” he scoffed as he looked at the EMT’s report in his hand and just shook his head. “You never prescribe Nortriptyline HCL and Klonopin together, and you sure as hell don’t prescribe Lopressor and Coumadin together. Coumadin is a blood thinner for Christ’s sakes.”

“Diagnosis?” questioned Yunho as he looked up at his best friend and colleague knowingly.

“With the contusion on his forehead…and considering where you found him…” replied Yoochun intelligently as he glanced up at the bandage wrapped around Jaejoong’s head. “I can safely assume that the combination of drugs in his system caused him to faint and bang his head on the tub. The blood loss caused by said impact, exacerbated by the Coumadin in his system, caused him to bleed out more quickly than normal –thus, to put it in laymen’s terms, giving  his body leeway for all his vital systems to go haywire.”

“Which means…if the lab finds those combinations of drugs in his system…” prompted Yunho.

“All we need to do is administer the counteragents…” answered Yoochun with a confirming nod. “and everything will normalize in a matter of hours.”

“You’re sure?” he questioned for certainty.

“If my diagnosis of his condition is correct…the counteragents work properly…and there’s no underlying factor that we’re missing…” Yoochun replied with a gentle smile. “I’m sure of it.”

“Dr. Jung! Dr. Park…!” came a voice out of nowhere as a nurse dressed in light pink scrubs came running up to Jaejoong’s bedside with a clipboard in her hand “The lab report is here!”

 

 

A/N: Woot...my medical training pays off again. ^_^ I hope everyone enjoyed this update. Sorry for leaving everyone hanging with the end of this chapter but I had to break it up here. A lot will happen in the next chapter so I hope you look forward to it!