Chapter One

Tiny Hearts

 

As the midmorning sun, shown down through the softly swaying trees, Jaejoong –dressed in a white, long sleeve v-neck and ash blue jeans, sat quietly on a weathered park bench, nose buried in a tattered old book. Sighing contentedly, he smiled softly at the feel of the gentle breeze and warm sunlight on his pale skin. He’d always enjoyed his daily outing to the neighborhood park. It was a serene, relaxing, and relatively quiet place, save for the hushed chattering of little children playing on the nearby playground, where he always felt so calm, so peaceful, so happy. Peering through his stylish black-rimmed reading glasses, he focused on the fictional prose before him quietly as the sound of small footsteps approached him hurriedly.

“Mama!” came a soft sweet voice.

Peering over the rim of his glasses, and the book in his hand, Jaejoong took in the small, three-year-old boy before him. With tear-filled puppy dog eyes, the little one looked up at him worriedly. Closing his book and placing it gently on his lap, Jaejoong reached out and cupped the little lovely’s cheek, thumbing away latent tears mixed with play sand.

“What’s wrong my sweet?” questioned Jaejoong softly as he looked deeply into those pretty little eyes that reminded him so much of his mother. “Are you finished playing?”

“No!” answered the little boy as he reaches up, clutched Jaejoong’s hand, and pulled it from his face frustratingly. Taking a step back, the little one looked up at Jaejoong as his tiny tears began to fall once more.

“Mama.” begged the sweet child as he pulled on Jaejoong’s hand and whined. “Mama. Mama. Mama.”

“What’s wrong, baby?” questioned Jaejoong concernedly as the child kept pulling and pulling.

“Help!” begged the little boy as he gripped the man’s hand tightly, turned, and pointed to a small boy sitting under the jungle gym all alone with his back to them. “Mama. Help!”

“Mama…fix. Mama…help! Pwease.” begged the boy again as he looked back at Jaejoong, his slender little finger still pointing in the direction of the little boy, hopping up and down, and tugged on his hand again. “Brother…hurt.”

“Brother?” questioned Jaejoong as he looked back up towards the jungle gym. “He’s hurt?”

“Hurt…Mama. Mama…help. Make better.” confirmed the little boy as more innocent tears streamed down his face. “Pwease?”

Pulling the now-forgotten tome from his lap and placing it on the bench beside him, Jaejoong grabbed his bag and followed the little darling across the playground. Arriving at that particular piece of play equipment quickly, Jaejoong hesitated for a moment when the sound of the little boy’s soft cries, echoing from underneath, reached his ears.

“Mama…brother hurt…” reiterated the little dear as he pointed to his finger towards the lonely boy. “Help.”

“Ok, Binnie,” reassured Jaejoong gently as he reached out and patted the concerned boy on the shoulder. “Mama will help him. I promise.”

Dropping down to his knees, Jaejoong slowly crawled under the edge of the jungle gym. As he reached the little one, Jaejoong stretched out his hand and gently grabbed the crying child’s shoulder. The little boy, about the same age as his own little one, jumped in surprised before he turned to look at the soft-spoken man beside him.

“Are you hurt little one?” questioned Jaejoong gently as he looked into the boy’s red and swollen almond-shaped eyes.

Instantly, the little boy lunged for the gentleman, wrapping his arms tightly around Jaejoong’s neck and sobbed hysterically. With a motherly sigh, Jaejoong wrapped his long arms around the trembling child and hugged him gently.

“It’s ok. Mama Jae is here.” comforted Jaejoong lovingly. “I’m here.”

As the young boy’s sobs slowly began to wane, he pulled the little darling’s arm away from his neck gently and looked at him worriedly. Reaching up and thumbing away the little boy’s tears, he smiled softly.

“Are you hurt? Tell Mama Jae…where is that mean, old, ouchie?” questioned Jaejoong cutely as he scanned the little one’s sand encrusted clothes, making a mental note that they seemed quite expensive for play clothes.

The small boy, falling gently onto to his cute bottom, frowned painfully as he pointed to his knee covered by a pair of long, light blue colored shorts.

“Can Mama Jae see?” he questioned gently as he nodded encouragingly at the little boy.

Blinking back his unshed tears, he looked up at the unknown man apprehensively.

“It’s ok.” came a soft child-like voice from beside Jaejoong as his young son scooted into his view and smiled at his little friend “Mama will help. Mama will make it better.”

As the scared and hurt little boy nodded ok, Jaejoong slowly reached out his hand and began to gently roll up the hem of his blood-stained shorts as the little one squirmed apprehensively and hissed dejectedly.

“It will be ok little one.” smiled Jaejoong softly as he pulled up the light blue fabric a little more, revealing the slightly bloody, knobby knee.

Gently dusting off the sand, around the shallow wound with his fingers, Jaejoong blew on it gently as he tried to ease the apprehension of the little boy and get a better look at what he was dealing with.

“Binnie?” questioned Jaejoong as he looked over at his worried son. “Hand Mama his bag ok?”

Smiling happily, the little boy did as he was bid. Jaejoong laid his bag on the sand before him and quickly began to dig through it. Pulling out an unopened bottle of water and a small tin decorated all over with smiley faces and rainbows, Jaejoong glanced at the hurt youngster with a smile.

“Happy Box! Happy Box!” chanted Binnie. “Seungie! Mama’s going to make you all better.”

“Seungie?” thought Jaejoong. “So that’s his name.”

Pulling off the lid of the tin, and placing it on the ground, Jaejoong quickly began to pull out what he would need –grabbing a stack of sterile gauze pads, antibiotic cream, cotton swabs, and a few sticky bandages also covered in bright smiley faces.

With another reassuring smile flashed at the little boy, who looked suddenly very apprehensive, Jaejoong uncapped the water bottle and grabbed a few gauze pads. As he reached out to clean the wound with the water, the little boy instantly recoiled.

“Binnie?” smiled Jaejoong with an understanding smile. “I think someone needs cuddles.”

“Cuddles!” cheered Binnie as he scooted up to his friend and wrapped his arms around him. “Mama says hugs are the best medicine. They chase the owies away.”

“That’s right Binnie.” chuckled Jaejoong as he reached out and rubbed his son’s head. “Hugs and a little medicine will always make us better.”

As the young boy calmed down, Jaejoong went to work. Cleaning the little wound with clean water, patting it dry with the gauze and dabbing it with some antibiotic ointment. With a sweet smile, he undid the sticky bandage and placed it gently on the boy’s knee.

“There we go.” smiled Jaejoong. “All better.”

“How does that feel?” questioned Binnie. “Did Mama Jae do a good job?”

The little boy sniffled gently and then smiled with a nod.

“Good Job Mama!” cheered Binnie. “He’s all better.”

While Jaejoong put everything in his bag, and a few seconds of quiet fell between them, Binnie huffed disappointedly.

“Mama! Lolli!” grumbled Binnie.

“What?” chuckled Jaejoong teasingly.

“Seungie gets a lollipop.” reiterated Binnie. “He was good…and now he’s all fixed. So, he gets one right?”

“Of course, but not yet,” said Jaejoong as he scanned the ground around them. “Mama needs to find what hurt your new friend first.”

“Brother.” corrected Binnie.

“Right. Brother.” smiled Jaejoong lovingly before questioning. “Seungie? Where did you hurt your knee?”

Without saying a word, the little boy stretched out his hand and pointed near one of the jungle gym’s anchor poles. Shifting his weight, Jaejoong ran his fingers across the sand searching for the culprit. As his finger snagged something sharp, he yelped softly and snatched his finger back.

“Be careful Mama!” said Binnie in a worried tone as he scooted up a bit and looked at Jaejoong’s hand. There was a slight scratch on his finger. “Are you ok Mama?”

“I’m alright, Binnie.” smiled Jaejoong, his heart leaping at the care in his son’s heart, as he reached out and unearthed the sharp piece of glass.

“Broken soju bottle,” mumbled Jaejoong as he looked at the green-colored glass. “Who would be so stupid?”

Grabbing a few tissues from his bag, Jaejoong wrapped the sharp object up and dropped it in his bag.

“Lolli now?” questioned Binnie.

As the sound of a familiar tune began to permeate the air, Jaejoong smiled gently.

“How about we have a real treat instead?” questioned Jaejoong as he looked at the two boys.

Binnie’s eyes immediately brightened as the sound finally hit him.

“Ice-cream!” cheered Binnie as he looked across the playground and spotted the old grandpa and his cart. “Yes, Mama! Ice-cream.”

“How does that sound Seungie?” questioned Jaejoong. “Do you want an ice-cream cone?”

The little boy immediately clapped his hands together happily and nodded his head.

“Ok…” smiled Jaejoong. “Let’s go gets some yummy ice-cream.”

Minutes later, Binnie and Seungie sat happily on Jaejoong’s favorite bench, swinging their legs playfully and lapping at their ice-cream cones.

“So good!” squealed Binnie.

Seungie nodded in agreement.

Settling back down into his book, Jaejoong returned to his reading as he listened to his son chatter away at his quiet new brother. So lost in his prose, Jaejoong didn’t notice the sound of fast-approaching footsteps until his son screamed Seungie’s name. Looking up immediately, Jaejoong stared in complete shock as his eyes fell upon a tall, intimidating man –dressed in an expensive suit, walking away with Seungie in his arms.

“Hey!” screamed Jaejoong protectively as he shot up and chased after the man. “Stop right there.”

The man ignored Jaejoong’s protest and kept walking.

“Damn it!” growled Jaejoong as he suddenly threw the book in his hand and hit the mystery man in the back. “I said stop right there!”

When the man turned around, Jaejoong stopped dead in his tracks. The man was unbelievably handsome and his eyes were a deep chocolate brown. His expensive blue suit gave off an air of sophistication while his broad shoulders made him look even more intimidating. 

“Whoa.” thought Jaejoong for a split second before he regained his composure.

“Who the hell do you think you are snatching a kid at the park!” growled Jaejoong accusingly. “Put him down!”

“Who do the hell you think you are?” questioned the man incredulously. “This is none of your business.”

Before Jaejoong could counter the man’s vicious words, Binnie charged the bad man and kicked him in the shin.

“Leave my brother alone!” screamed Binnie as he pulled on the hem of the man’s expensive suit. “Let him go!”

Frustrated by the annoying child, the man flicked his knee sharply and knocked Binnie to the ground. The little boy immediately started wailing.

“You son of a !” screamed Jaejoong as he ran to his son’s side. “Who the hell do you think you are to hit my son!”

“That’s right!” growled the man. “Why don’t you worry about your own brat and I’ll worry about this one!”

Jaejoong shot up to his feet and lunged for the man, determined to rescue Seungie. As he got within arm’s reach, the man grabbed him a pushed him back –making Jaejoong fall onto the hard concrete. The second Jaejoong landed, Seungie started screaming and squirming madly. The man tried to calm him, whispering words of consolation but the little boy wouldn’t let up. Thrashing wildly, Seungie kicked and screamed incoherently.

“What’s wrong with you?” questioned the man as he looked up at the hysterical child in his arms and tried to hold him still.

All of a sudden the little boy stopped and looked at Jaejoong.

“Mama Jae!” screamed Seungie as he reached out for Jaejoong and kicked his legs wildly. “Want…Mama Jae!”

The man instantly stopped at stared at the little boy, completely aghast.

“Mama Jae?" he questioned unbelievingly. “Seungwoon did  you just…speak?”

Seconds later the little boy landed a very direct kick that had the man dropping to his knees in pain. As Seungie’s feet hit the ground, the little boy wrenched himself from the man’s grasp and ran to Jaejoong, jumping into his arms and snuggling deep into his neck. Jaejoong cuddles the little boy tightly, ever protective over the little one, as he looked at the strange man angrily. When the man finally regained his composure, he suddenly stood –hand clutched in a tight fist and glared at Jaejoong with murderous intent.

“What the did you do to MY SON!” screamed Yunho.