Chapter 3

THE GAP BETWEEN US

Yuto looked at the beautiful scenery in front of him. He was sitting calmly in his veranda while looking at Ryosuke’s figure that enjoying the flower in the house garden. It’s been one week Ryosuke stayed at Yuto’s, Daiki’s and Keito’s mansion. At first he want to rejected it and come back to his old house with his father, but after some coaxing, finally Ryosuke agree to be in the trio’s custody but in one condition, that Ryosuke doesn’t want it to be free.

Ryosuke asked them to get permitted to work in their mansion as a worker, but absolutely Yuto didn’t agree about it. After all, Yuto already consider the shorter boy as his friend, but Ryosuke also a stubborn person. He will run away if Yuto, Daiki and Keito don’t agree, and finally they agree. Finally, Yuto give him a position as a maintenance of the garden and ask some of male workers to help Ryosuke.

However, being naturally had a hard life for himself, Ryosuke felt that his job is still easy and that’s not worth if compare it with Yuto’s treatment for him, so the chubby boy ask for more job in the mansion. Couldn’t decided about the better job so it won’t make Ryosuke’s life harder, then Yuto decided for Ryosuke to be Daiki’s, Keito’s and his tutor in academic. It’s makes sense, because Ryosuke is a scholar and really smart.

The bullies on Ryosuke also stopped. When those students know that Ryosuke now is in Yuto’s custody, they stopped the bully. Those students know very well that Yuto’s, Daiki’s and Keito’s family are more powerful than them. So, it’s more save to let Ryosuke than being their own family business got destroyed.

Too engross on his own mind, Yuto doesn’t realize that someone had sit beside him. “Yuto..” that person called him, make him a bit startled. When Yuto look beside him, he found Keito grinning toward him.

“It’s seem you love that boy ne~” Keito said teasingly and Yuto just rolled his eyes.

“You know me, keito. I am just..feels that boy remind me of my childhood friend, Ryo-chan.” Yuto replied, and he staring at Ryosuke’s figure again. Keito also looked at Ryosuke figure and he sighed.

“Who knows, maybe he is indeed your long lost childhood friend?” Keito ask, but Yuto still remained silent.

“You know Yuto, when you feel a strong bond toward someone, you will feel it when you meet with that person, even after you never meet for a long time. I am pretty sure you feels it when you’re meet with Yamada-kun.” Keito said. When the older boy turns his head at Yuto to look at his expression, Keito just sighed.

“I don’t know Keito. I am not sure. What if he is not Ryo-chan? although I feel a special affection toward him, but I am not sure. I can’t just jump into conclusion without a better proof that he is Ryo-chan because Ryo-chan is an important and special person to me.” Yuto said sadly.

Keito chuckled, and he sighed. “That’s why Daiki and me are here, Yuto. We’re your best friends. Never forget our promise to help you find your Ryo-chan, okay?” Keito said, and Yuto nodded his head.

***

Yuto, Keito, Daiki and Ryosuke are now sitting on the dining table, while Yabu served their meals for dinner. Ryosuke just eat in silence, while the trio are enjoying their conversation. Looking at Ryosuke that just silent all the time, Yuto is kindly to make him joined the conversation, but still Ryosuke just replied with a short answer when it needed. He feels shy and awkward after all. Although it’s already been a week, but Ryosuke still feels awkward to be in this surrounding. He is used to have a hard life and been labeled as a trash, so befriend with rich boys like Yuto, Daiki and Keito make him feels so wrong.


“Anoo..” Suddenly Ryosuke said, make all of them turned their heads to him.


“Nani, Yamada-kun?” Yuto ask warmly. He is glad now that Ryosuke want to start a conversation. Ryosuke looked hesitant at first, but Yuto give him an assuring smile to encouraged him.


“Can I come back to my old house for a while?” Ryosuke ask hesitantly. Yuto’s frowning, as same as Daiki and Keito.


“Why you want to come back, Yamada-kun?” Keito ask then. Ryosuke fidgeted in his seat, before he continued.


“I just want to take my thing from there.” Ryosuke replied, and their frowns go deeper.


“Demo, we already take all your belongings when you collapsed at that time.” Daiki reasoned out. Ryosuke hesitated and he doesn’t continue it, he just doesn’t want to make them troubled, but he really needs to come back.


“Yamada-kun..” Yuto called him, and the chubby boy looked up at him. Yuto give him gentle smile, that make his heart feel warm.


“What’s the matter? Just say it. If it’s really important, of course you can back.” Yuto said, and Ryosuke nodded.


“It’s just..I want to take my precious thing there. It’s not an expensive thing, but really precious to me. No one knows where I put it in my old house, even my father, so when you take my belongings from there, that thing is excluded.” Ryosuke explained.


“Oh, souka..but, may us accompany you, Yamada-kun? We can’t be sure your father won’t do bad thing to you, so we will be there too as your guard.” Yuto said. Ryosuke calculating for a moment, before decided to nodded his head. it’s not a hassle at all, beside Yuto was right. Although Yuto already paid his father, it won’t make sure that his father don’t have a grudge toward him and won’t do bad thing.


“So, it’s settles then. When you want to come there?” Daiki ask.


“It’s tomorrow. Tomorrow is Saturday and we don’t have to come to school.” Ryosuke replied, and they nodded their heads.

***


“Please wait here. I will prepare something for you.” Ryosuke said to Yuto, Daiki and keito. They arrived at Ryosuke’s old house five minutes ago and it’s seems Ryosuke’s stepfather doesn’t at home. Ryosuke then take the spare key from the pot to unlock the front door.


“Where’s your father anyway?” Daiki ask casually while leaning on the couch with Yuto and Keito following.


“Maybe he is still in night club. Usually he will arrive at 9 in morning.” Ryosuke replied calmly while he served the tea in front of Yuto, Daiki and Keito. “Don’t make such a face. I am used to it, even when he wasn’t come back home for days.” Ryosuke chuckled looked at his friends’ expression. “Saa, please wait here ne~ I want to take my thing.” Ryosuke said and left them in the living room.

Some minutes later, Ryosuke is back with a black plastic bag in his hand. “I get it. Now, we can go back to your house. I don’t want meet with my father for now.” Ryosuke said after he cleaned the glasses of tea, and Keito nodded.


“Anoo, Yamada-kun, can I look at that thing you get earlier?” Yuto suddenly ask hesitantly, and that makes Ryosuke’s expression changed.


“Gomen, Nakajima-kun. But this thing is really precious for me. It’s something as remembrance for someone that really dear to me, so for now I can’t share it with others.” Ryosuke said, and make Yuto disappointed. Keito and Daiki just silence, and the atmosphere become awkward.


“Demo, someday, when I am ready..I will let you to see it.” Ryosuke said again, and make Yuto’s face a bit lighter. The tallest boy nodded and Ryosuke smile toward him.


They’re ready to go from there when suddenly a figure comes to the living room. Yamada Hiro, Ryosuke’s stepfather. He is shocked when he saw his step son in his living room. Meanwhile, Ryosuke also widened his eyes. He didn’t expect his father will come early this time.


“What you did here?” Hiro snapped, makes Ryosuke back to reality.


“We just take something from here.” Daiki replied, with an obvious anger in his tone. He doesn’t like this man after all, for make an innocent boy like Ryosuke to suffer.


“Get out from here! I don’t have a business with all of you except for that contract!” Hiro snapped again, looked really angry. It seems that he is drunk. The older man walk toward Ryosuke and suddenly punch him until make the shorter boy fell beside the couch.


“YOU!” Yuto shouted, ready want to punch Hiro back, but Ryosuke hold his wrist. Ryosuke shook his head and smiling toward Yuto. The chubby boy also stopped Daiki and Keito that ready to attack the man. Then, Ryosuke walks closer toward his step father and suddenly hug him. Ryosuke’s father is taken aback by that, and he just let Ryosuke to hug him.


“Otou-san, arigatou for all this time. Arigatou for taking care of me.” Ryosuke said softly, but it’s enough to be heard by all the occupants in the living room. “I know I am just a useless son, but thank you so much for adopt me, at least I know how it feel to have a parent, to have a father.” He continued again.


“And sorry for being a nuisance to you, also make a lot of troubles for you.” Ryosuke added.

Hiro keep silent for a while until he grabs Ryosuke’s body from him and push him hardly.


“You realize it now!? Like I said to you, you’re just a trash, Ryosuke! Nobody wants you! Even your real parents throw you to orphanage! You’re just useless!” Hiro shouted. Unconsciously, Ryosuke’s tear fell heard that harsh word from his father.


“You’re too cruel, Yamada-san.” Yuto said while helping Ryosuke to stand up. Hiro just silence, and he is staring at Ryosuke with disgusted face. “Left my house now, I don’t want to see your face, and never come back here.” Hiro said. Ryosuke stayed still in his position after some time he can composure himself, he is bowing his body 90 degree toward his step father.


“For all this time, Hontou ni arigatou gozaimaa!” Ryosuke exclaimed then he’s straightened himself. Hiro just look away, doesn’t face his step son. Ryosuke smile sadly at that.


“Then, I will take my leave.” Ryosuke said, and with last bow he left the house with Yuto, Daiki and Keito following him.

***


“Can we go to the beach for a while?” Ryosuke suddenly ask after a really long silence. After they left Yamada Hiro’s house, Ryosuke just silence all the time, even Yuto didn’t dare to talk with him when look at Ryosuke’s gloomy expression. Yuto, Daiki and Keito look at each other, before Yuto replied with a soft ‘yes’. Then Keito asks the driver to drive the car toward a nearby beach.


Ryosuke is just staring at the wave in front of him. When they arrived at the beach, Ryosuke just sit on the sand, with the trio sit beside him. Ryosuke’s expression is still gloomy, and after some time he sighed deeply. The beach at that morning is quiet, there’s just some people around, and they just can heard the sound of wave and bird in their surroundings.


“Yappari..I am just a trash..” Ryosuke said with longing look in his eyes. His friends are taken aback by that, but they still silent.


“Why do you think like that?” Yuto ask, without facing the shorter boy.


“My parents throw me to orphanage since I am baby. They really hate me even they throw me at the second day after I born. Then, my step father also doesn’t consider me as a human, even my friends since elementary school until high school also consider me as a toy. They bullied me everyday just to satisfy their desired. It’s proof that I am just a trash, nobody want me after all.” Ryosuke explained with sad tone. Still, Yuto, Daiki and Keito are silence.


“Sometimes I wondering, what I did in the past until make me to get such treatment. I can understand if it my friends or my stepfather treated me in such way, but I don’t understand why my real parents throw me. Is it because I am unwanted child? If even so, it’s better just kill me from the start before I was born than throw me and make me suffer like this.” Ryosuke said again. Without he realize, his tears already wetting his chubby cheeks.


“Yamada-kun..” Yuto calls softly.


“Ryosuke..Just call me Ryosuke..” Ryosuke said, cutted Yuto’s words.


“Ryosuke..” Yuto calls, and pulled the shorter boy’s arm gently, so he can facing Yuto. Yuto’s eyes softened when looked at Ryosuke’s crying face.


“You’re not alone, Ryosuke. You still have me, Daiki and Keito. We are willing to help you, and you’re not a trash. You’re a human, with kind, bright and strong aura in you, that’s why we’re attracted to you. So, don’t ever say you’re a trash.” Yuto said and he hugged the shorter boy.


“That’s right, Ryosuke.” Keito interrupted, while Daiki just patted the crying boy’s shoulder gently. After some time finally Ryosuke stopped his crying and pulled himself from Yuto’s embrace.


“Arigatou, Nakajima-kun, Arioka-kun, Okamoto-kun..” Ryosuke said.


“Mou~ Ryosuke, we’re already friends deshou? Stop calling us with our surname, just call us with our given name.” Daiki protest, but smile nevertheless when Ryosuke nodded.


“So, try it to call us with our name.” Yuto said with happy voice, and Ryosuke blushed at that. He doesn’t know why, but he feels shy when Yuto ask him that. “Come on, Ryosuke let’s try it.” Keito also encouraged him.


“Yuto-kun, Daiki and Keito, hontou ni arigatou.” Ryosuke said with a shy smile.


“Are, why it just my name with the suffix kun?” Yuto ask curiously. Daiki and Keito also look at him curiously.


“It’s just, I can’t let the suffix kun in Yuto-kun’s name.” Ryosuke said shyly while blushing, that make him cuter. Yuto just chuckled and he ruffled Ryosuke’s hair. “It’s no problem, Ryosuke. I don’t mind that.” Yuto replied.


Then, the four young boy play in that beach until noon and decided to come back home because it’s really hot already.

***

Tomorrow morning, Ryosuke wake up abruptly from his bed. He thinks that himself will be late for school, but after he is out from his room, he remember today is Sunday. Sighed, then he walks toward living room and meet the busy Yabu that ushering some maids to move the couch and decorate the living room. Ryosuke frown and he greeted the older man.


“Good morning Yabu-san, is today a special day?” Ryosuke ask, and the man bowed his head before answered.


“Good morning, Yamada-sama. Today Yuto-sama parent will come, along with Daiki-sama and Keito-sama parent. They said they will bring guest too, it seems Yuto-sama parent’s business partner.” Yabu explain, and Ryosuke just nodded.


“Ah, Yamada-sama, breakfast is ready. There is just Yuto-sama in the dining room, because Keito-sama and Daiki-sama left earlier to do something.” Yabu added again, and he escorts the young boy toward dining room. There, Ryosuke can see Yuto is sitting peacefully while munching his bread. When he’s looks at Ryosuke, Yuto smiled widely.


“Ryosuke, come here!” Yuto said happily and the shorter boy sit beside Yuto and the maid prepare his breakfast too. After that, it’s just the two of them in the dining table.


“I am happy today, because it’s so rare for my parents beside me. Both Daiki’s and Keito’s parent also will come and they will bring Mrs. Takaki and his son too. You know Ryosuke, Takaki Yuya, Mrs. Takaki’s son is a kind boy. He is just 3 years older than us.” Yuto blabbering, meanwhile Ryosuke still silent. Yuto want to talks again when he realized the shorter boy just silent.


“Ah, gomen Ryosuke, did my talks make you boring?” Yuto ask, and Ryosuke shook his head. “Why you’re silent then?” Yuto ask again.


“Yuto-kun, I am just thinking, what if your parents and both Daiki’s and Keito’s parent don’t like me? I am not in your level, what if they don’t agree that I am befriends with you.” Ryosuke said, and there’s a hint of worry in his tone. Yuto chuckled hear that, and he tap Ryosuke’s head gently.


“Ryosuke, you don’t need to worry about that. Actually our parents already know about you. When we take you from your father, we inform our parents and they’re agreed.” Yuto replied with reassuring smile but Ryosuke still looked worry.


“But, what if they don’t pleased to see me? I don’t care if they kicked me from this mansion, but what if they don’t want me to be friends with you again, because I am just a poor boy?” Ryosuke said, and Yuto sighed.


“Listen, Ryosuke. Don’t need to worry about that. Our parents aren’t like that. Beside, our parents also start it from zero, so they’re understands about how hard your life would be.” Yuto commented wisely. Looking at the warm expression Yuto give, Ryosuke can be rest assured. He nodded and continued his breakfast.

***

“So, you’re Ryosuke deshou? You’re so kawaii!” Daiki’s mother exclaimed when they arrived. After Yuto introducing him to Yuto’s, Daiki’s and Keito’s parents also to Mrs. Takaki and his son, those adults are trying to complimented at how cute Ryosuke is. Even Daiki’s mother pinched his cheek, and Ryosuke just let it be, because he feels happy that they accept him. Ryosuke looked at Yuto and seeing the taller boy give him a winning expression. “I told you.” Yuto mouthed softly to the smiling Ryosuke.


After that they going to dining table and having their dinner. That dining table feels so cheerful, fully with chatted from the parents and the son. Ryosuke just smile contentedly looking at his friends’ happy smile. He feels the warm of family that never he felt just looking at that. Mrs. Takaki that sit beside him saw his cute smiling face, and facing the chubby boy.


“You looked happy looking at them.” Mrs. Takaki commented, and Ryosuke looked at her.


“Yeah, I feel happy for them. Yuto, Daiki and Keito are lucky to have parents that love them so much. When looking at their interaction, I am just wondering, if my real parents ever remembered about me.” Ryosuke said with longing tone. All those adults already know about Ryosuke’s story until he stayed in this mansion, so Mrs. Takaki just sighed when heard it, and the beautiful woman taps Ryosuke’s shoulder.


“There’s no parents that forget about their child. Whatever the reason, they must love you, Ryosuke-kun. Just believe it that someday you will know about the reason why they left you at orphanage, and I am pretty sure that it’s not because they didn’t love you.” Mrs. Takaki said while smiling gently and Ryosuke can feels that warm feeling again. “Arigtou, Takaki-san.” Ryosuke said. Mrs. Takaki nodded, and second later her phone ring and she excused herself to answer the phone. “From my husband.” She said when Yuto’s mother asks who is it. The dinner continued then, and after that they played the card game in the living room. That night, Ryosuke feels really happy to experience the warm of the family in this mansion.

***


Ryosuke’s watering the flowers in the garden when Yuya entering the garden and sit in the bench there. When Ryosuke looked at the older boy, he smiled. “Is there anything you need, Takaki-kun?” Ryosuke ask. Yuya just shook his head.


“I just want to see the flowers and I like in here.” Yuya said. Ryosuke continued his job while Yuya just observing him.


“It’s seem you’re really enjoying your job.” Yuya said, and Ryosuke smile. Ryosuke put down the water and he cleaned his hands on his apron and sit beside Yuya.


“This is just one simple thing that can I do to pay back Yuto-kun’s, Daiki’s and Keito’s kindness.” Ryosuke replied. “They’re so kind toward me, even set me free from my stepfather, so I am willing to pay back it to them.” He added agin.


“I am proud of you.” Yuya said and Ryosuke frown at that. “If I am in your shoe, maybe I can’t survive.” Yuya added again.


“Yeah, Yuto also said that to me. But, the only thing left that I have just my motivation to survive and my pride as a human so if I lost it, I don’t deserve to be in this world. Beside, I have a promised to someone to be a better person and that makes me motivated.” Yuya nodded at that.


“Takaki-kun also lucky deshou? You have caring mother like that. Your parents must be love you so much.” Ryosuke said while staring at the flowers.


“They’re not my real parents.” Yuya said, and Ryosuke turn his head at the older boy. “Eh?” come Ryosuke’s short reply.


“My real parents died in accident when I was 7, and I was send to orphanage. When I was 8, Takaki couple are kindly to adopt me, because they don’t have child, and they’re treated me like their real son. I am so glad to meet them.” Yuya explain, and Ryosuke just nodded. That afternoon, they spend the time with Ryosuke told his story life to the older boy.

***

Yuto opened the doorway toward Ryosuke’s room to wake him up. When he entered Ryosuke’s room and saw the sleeping figure of the chubby boy, he just chuckled. Yuto is ready to shake Ryosuke’s body, but something in the study table catch Yuto’s attention. It’s a black plastic bag that Ryosuke took it in his old house. Yuto feels hesitated a first to open it, but there’s nagged feeling that he must opened it and saw the thing inside. Yuto looked at Ryosuke’s figure that sleeping peacefully and he take the bag. “Gomen, Ryosuke..I just curious..” Yuto whispered and he takes a box inside the bag. There is a beautiful carton box inside, that wrapped neatly.


“Hmm, what’s you save in here, Ryosuke?” Yuto ask in nothing particular, and he opened the box. Yuto widened his eyes when he saw the content of the box. There is a necklace with round shape pendant, as same as his necklace, that given by a certain boy in his 7th birthday.


“This is..” Yuto trailed of, and he looked at Ryosuke’s figure, then to the necklace, and back to Ryosuke’s figure.


“Ryo-chan..” Yuto said softly while staring at Ryosuke’s sleeping figure.

***


END OF CHAPTER 3
Comments are really appreciate :D