Chapter 1

THE GAP BETWEEN US

Ryosuke’s POV

One afternoon, the 7 year little boy Yamada Ryosuke walk slowly toward a park. He wiped his sweat, finally feel relieve after his step father was out from the house so he can refresh himself in the park. He looked at the blue sky and smile widely, and he looked interested when he pass an ice cream parlor. His eyes sparkling when looked at a boy was a strawberry ice cream and want to buy it too, but when he remembered that he doesn’t have money, he left the ice cream parlor with sad eyes. Ryosuke then just continued walk to the park.

He arrive at the park and immediately walk toward the small river. He sat on the ground and inhaled deeply. “Uwaahh! It’s so calm here!” Ryosuke said excited. He just sat there, enjoying the warm breeze until he heard someone shouted “Ittai!”

Ryosuke turn his head and found a little boy, slightly taller than him, maybe in the same age as himself kneel on the ground. Ryosuke looked at the boy and he can see a wound on his left knees and he looked so much in pain. Ryosuke quickly walk toward the boy and kneel in front of him. “Daijoubu?” Ryosuke ask worriedly and the boy just nodded his head. However the boy winced again, that make Ryosuke look concerned. Then, he stretch his hand toward the boy. The boy looked at him, and he just smile. “Let me help you to sit in the bench.” Ryosuke said, and the boy nodded his head again and hold his hand. Ryosuke then help that boy to walk toward a bench and make him sit there. Ryosuke examined the wound, and find that it just a little wound.

The chubby boy then wiped the blood with his handkerchief and he stitch a plaster he bought from home on top of it. “It’s enough for now. The pain will go.” Ryosuke said cheerfully and the boy just smile at that.

“Arigatou.” The boy said, and Ryosuke nodded his head.
“Yuu-sama!” Suddenly they heard someone shouted. When heard this, the boy widened his eyes, and he quickly grab Ryosuke’s hand and drag the shorter boy toward the bushes around. “Hey! What are you..” Ryosuke’s word cutted by the boy when he signaled him to quiet.

“Please, I don’t want that person find me.” The boy said with pleading eyes, and Ryosuke just nodded. From the bushes, Yuto and Ryosuke examined a tall guy with brown hair boy, maybe in his twenty looked around the park, but after some minutes he left the park with a dissapointed face. After that guy left the park, the boy beside Ryosuke sighed in relieve.

“Who is he? Is he want to hurt you? Is he a bad person?” Ryosuke looked worried, and the boy beside him just chuckled.

“Iie, actually he is my family, like my older brother.” The boy said calmly.

“So, why are you hiding from him?” Ryosuke ask confused, and the boy looked sad at this.

“I feel at home. My parents are rare at home. I am just with him all the time, so I decided to run away for a meantime. I left a letter earlier, so I think now that my parents command him to find me. They never want me to play outside the house after all.” The boy explains. Ryosuke just nodded, and they become silence.

“Anyway, you can call me ryo-chan.” Ryosuke said suddenly, and the boy smile.

“And you can call me yuu-chan.” The boy said and they shake their hands.

After that they just side by side at those bushes, and mostly the boy talks about how his parents are so busy and he feels lonely about it. Without they realized, the sun already set, and Ryosuke widened his eyes when he realized that the sky already dark.

“Yuu-chan, I need to go home now. If my father arrives before me, I am sure he will scold me.” Ryosuke said with a terrified look, and Yuu feels a bit disappointed because he is already enjoyed Ryosuke’s presence with him. “You also must back home immediately Yuu-chan.” Ryosuke said again, and Yuu just nodded his head. Ryosuke already stand up, and want to left the park when Yuu stopped him.

“Anou..Ryo-chan, can we be friends?” Yuu ask, make Ryosuke a bit startled. Ryosuke looked hesitant at first. He feels afraid if he befriends with someone, his father will be angry with him. But, looking at sincere expression Yuu has, Ryosuke nodded his head firmly. “Un!” Ryosuke replied cheerfully and Yuu beamed with happiness.

“So, can we meet in this park every day? I want to play with you more, so I won’t be lonely.” Yuu ask. Ryosuke looked thoughtful for some moment, then he nodded his head. “Demo, I can be here just in the afternoon.” Ryosuke said, and Yuu nodded. “It’s okay.” He said.

“Okay, so, mata aa Yuu-chan.” Ryosuke waved toward the boy and the boy waved back. Ryosuke then run toward his house direction and left the happiness Yuu.

Yuto’s POV

Nakajima Yuto just staring at Ryosuke’s figure that left him earlier. At first he feels strange toward the boy because he couldn’t believe a stranger immediately. However, when that cute boy helped him and they have conversation, he finds it’s so happy with the shorter boy. That’s why Yuto decided to befriend with him and ask him to meet at the park every day.

Yuto walk slowly in the pedestrian, until he heard someone shouted his nickname. “Yuu-sama!” he heard a familiar voice, and when he turn his head, he found Kota, his butler, run in rush toward him.

“Yuu-sama, I am so worried about you. Where have you been?” Kota ask him worriedly. Yuto just staring at Kota’s eyes for a moment, then he is smiling. “I am just play around, Kota-nii. I feels bored at home.” Yuto said. Kota just sighed. He is understand about Yuto’s feeling after all.

“Okay, Yuu-sama. But please don’t repeat it again. If you feel bored, I will accompany you to play outside. Don’t left the house without notification like that.” Kota scold him, and Yuto just nodded. “So, let’s go home now.” Kota added. Yuto then stretched his arm, and Kota just chuckled at this. Kota then kneels down, and give his back to Yuto. “C’mon, climb up now.” Kota said, and quickly Yuto climb up to Kota’s back. Like Yuto said to Ryosuke, Kota is like an older brother for him. He is understand Yuto the most. Then, after Yuto already secured in Kota’s back, together they come back home.

***

Everyday Yuto and Ryosuke will play together at the park. They never mention their real name. Yuto just know Ryosuke as ‘Ryo-chan’ and Ryosuke just know Yuto as ‘Yuu-chan’, however they feel satisfied about it. Yuto will ask Kota to pick him up when Ryosuke already back to home. Both the boys feel contented because they find a new friend. After some weeks they play together, Ryosuke started to ask Yuto to play at the more far place from the park, and because Yuto never going out from his home, he feels happy with his little journey with Ryosuke.

In one afternoon, Ryosuke and Yuto just enjoyed the afternoon at the park while an ice cream is both in their hands. “Yuu-chan, arigatou ne~ for treat me an ice cream.” Ryosuke said happily. Although it’s just a plain strawberry ice cream that they buy in ice cream parlor, but Ryosuke feels happy because he never taste an ice cream. His father never give him money to buy snack or just an ice cream like this.

Looking at Ryosuke’s happy face, Yuto also feels happy. However, second later Yuto sighed deeply. Looking at this, Ryosuke look confused. “What happen, Yuu-chan?” Ryosuke ask.

“Hmm..ne~ Ryo-chan, two weeks again is my 7th birthday..” Yuto said softly.

“Oh, souka? Then I will prepare a present for you.” Ryosuke said happily while throwing his cone to the trash bin, but Yuto still look sad. Realizing this, Ryosuke then just sighed.

“Yuu-chan, actually what happen?” Ryosuke ask seriously. He doesn’t like it when Yuto looked sad like this, so he will do his best to make his friend become happy.

“I want to celebrate it, but I want the most is celebrate it together with my parents.” Yuto said.

“Demo..I know that my parents must be in their works and forget about my birthday.” He added again. Ryosuke just silence at that. He can feel how sad Yuto about this.

“Ne~ Yuu-chan, do you ever try to talk about it to your parents? Talk about how you feel, how lonely you are, and how you want them to at least together with you in your birthday?” Ryosuke ask suddenly, and Yuto just shook his head.

“Maa, let’s try that. Try to talk to your parents. I know maybe they are so busy with their works, but if you talk to them and let them know about your feelings, I am sure that they will understand you. After all they are your parents, and they just want the best for you. They love you after all.” Ryosuke said.

“They don’t love me! I feel unlucky to have parents like them. I am not lucky like you to have good parents!” Yuto suddenly shouted, feel mad to Ryosuke. Ryosuke taken aback by that, and he stunned for a moment until he breaks into a sad smile in his lips.

“I am not lucky Yuu-chan. For your information, I live with my stepfather. I don’t know my real parents, because they left me in orphanage when I was born. My step father adopted me, but he also doesn’t want me. He adopted me just as an excuse to left his house. Actually you’re luckier than me.” Ryosuke said sadly. Yuto shocked hearing this. He never know about this, because every time they met, Ryosuke always cheerful and Yuto also never ask about it, so he thinks that his ‘Ryo-chan’ come from a happy family.

“Gomen, Ryo-chan. I never know about that.” Yuto said softly. He feels guilty, because he can see how Ryosuke’s turn into sad. However, Ryosuke just smile.

“Ii yo, Yuu-chan. I am already used to that. So, now don’t you ever said that you’re unlucky. I know that your parents love you so much, that’s why they work really hard to give you the best life. So, want you try to talk to them?” Ryosuke said.

“Un, I will try.” Yuto said, and Ryosuke replied with smile. Seconds later, Yuto hug the shorter boy. “Arigatou, Ryo-chan.” Yuto said softly.

***

“Ryo-chan, you’re right. They never know that I feel lonely all this time. My parents promised me that they will celebrate my 7th birthday party together. They also said that they will give their time to me now.” Yuto said happily toward the shorter boy that sit beside him.

“Ah, Yokatta~” Ryosuke also replied happily. He feels happy looking at Yuto’s happy face.

“And, when I told to them about you, my parents told me to invite you to my party. They want to thank to you because you make them realize that they almost neglect me.” Yuto said again.

“Ah, souka..then, I will come to your party.” Ryosuke said. Then Yuto give him the address of his house. After that, the taller boy back to home, because his parents want him to come home as fast as possible.

After Yuto left him, Ryosuke thinks about something. He needs money to buy his ‘Yuu-chan’ a present, but his father for sure won’t give him any. Then, a good plan come to his mind after some minutes of thinking. He doesn’t sure if he will have a lot of money, but he thinks that it’s enough to at least buy Yuto for something.

***

Ryosuke walk cheerfully on the pedestrian. He is almost late to Yuto’s party, because earlier his father wanted him to cleaning the house. After make sure that his father is go to club as usual, Ryosuke immediately left his house. Ryosuke is staring at the box in his hands. “I hope Yuu-chan will like my present.” He said happily. Ryosuke had been work in his neighbor house to wash their clothes for seven days without his father know, and as a result they gave him enough money to buy a present for Yuto. Although it’s not expensive, at least Ryosuke so sincere give it to Yuto. His present is a necklace with a beautiful round shape pendant. The seller said that pendant has a meaning about friendship, so Ryosuke buy it for himself too.

While he is passing the park that they usually met, Ryosuke can see flowers that grown up beautifully. He picks up some of it and wrapped it with his handkerchief. “Yuu-chan will like this. He loves flower after all.” Ryosuke said again, then he walks toward Yuto’s house.

Finally, Ryosuke arrived at Yuto’s house. Ryosuke read the address that Yuto write, and then he stared at the big mansion in front of him. He is standing in front of the big gate, and he widened his eyes. Yuto’s house is so big for him. He never knew that Yuto is a rich kid.

While Ryosuke stunned in his position, he doesn’t realize a car coming toward the gate. Because he is stand in front of the gate, the driver pressed the honk and make him startled. “Oi kid! Don’t stand there!” The driver said, and Ryosuke bowed his head. He walks to the left side of the gate and the gate opened automatically. The car then come in to the house yard. Minutes later, some of expensive car also come in, and its passenger out one by one. Ryosuke can see the passengers of those cars are Yuto’s or his parent’s guest. Those passengers are rich people. They also bring their child that wear a tuxedo or beautiful dress.

Ryosuke looked stunned. Just from that he can conclude that Yuto is so rich and his family is powerful. Then, unconsciously Ryosuke looked at himself. He is just wearing a plain white shirt and a worn out pants. He is just a poor boy that doesn’t deserve to be in such an expensive party. Ryosuke’s tear fell down unconsciously. He is crying softly for a while.

“I don’t deserve as your friend, Yuu-chan. I am just a poor boy.” Ryosuke said softly after he composed himself. Ryosuke doesn’t want to come in to Yuto’s house, but he really want to give him the present. Then Ryosuke pick a paper and pen from his bag and wrote something in it. After that he placed the letter inside the box. He wiped his tear and now confused how to give Yuto the present without come inside the house.

It’s fortunate for Ryosuke because a familiar guy come from the gate. Ryosuke remembered that brown hair guy was search for Yuto when the first time they met at the park. That guy seems busy with his phone, but when he finished his call, finally he see Ryosuke.

“Hei kid, what are you doing here? Are you lost or something?” that guy asked gently toward Ryosuke, and the boy just shook his head.

“Anou, do you live here?” Ryosuke ask hesitantly, and the guy nodded his head. “Yes, I am Kota, one of the butler in this house.” Kota replied.

“Can you give this to Yuu-chan? To the birthday boy in this house?” Ryosuke ask again. Kota frowned, but then he smiled. “So, you’re Yuu-sama’s friend? Just come in. The party isn’t start yet, he will be happy when you come.” Kota said, but Ryosuke shook his head again.

“I can’t, I must be home immediately or my father will scold me.” Ryosuke reasoned out. “Just please make sure you give this to him. Onegaishimasu.” Ryosuke said and bowed his head. Looked confused, Kota just accept the box and the flower.

“Arigatou.” Ryosuke smile sincerely toward Kota and left the stunned guy alone.

***

Yuto’s POV

”Dear Yuu-chan. Otanjoubi Omedeto! I feel happy for you now. Demo..Hontou ni gomen I don’t come to your party. It’s not like I don’t like you or hate you. I just don’t want you feel ashamed because of me.

When I arrive at your house and looked at your house and guests I realize it quickly that you’re a rich and powerful kid. I never know this, but it doesn’t mean I blame you Yuu-chan. As you know, I am just a poor boy Yuu-chan, so I know that I will make you shamed if I come to your party. Gomen, I give my present through your brother. It’s just a cheap and plain present that I can afford so I hope you like it. Actually I also have same necklace like I give to you. The seller said it has meaning about friendship, so I buy it for myself. This necklace as a sign about our friendship Yuu-chan, so please keep it ne~

You know Yuu-chan, when I realize about your family, I think that we shouldn’t meet each other again. Once again, it’s not because I hate you. In fact because I love you so much as my best friend, that’s why we shouldn’t meet again. Like I said, I am just a poor boy, I don’t deserve as your friend. You’re a prince and me just a pauper. I don’t want you feel ashamed because of me.

Demo ne~ this isn’t mean a goodbye Yuu-chan. We will meet again, for sure. I will make myself become a better person. I will be a good boy and be better in the future, so when we meet again, finally I deserve as your friend. I will work hard for it, so don’t be sad.

Once again, I am sorry. Sorry for not come to your party, sorry for become a bad friend for you, sorry for not apologizing properly. I promise I will apologize properly when we meet again. Also thank you so much for become a good friend for me. Although it’s just a short time for us to play together, but your presence is so precious to me. I promise I won’t forget you and Promise me, don’t forget me also. Until we meet again, you also will become a good person ne~ let’s keep this promise together, Yuu-chan.

Until we meet again,
Ryo-chan.



Yuto re read again that letter for the ninth time already. He feels disappointed because Ryosuke didn’t come that day, but after receives the letter he finally know about Ryosuke’s reason. His father and mother just feel pity at him. Yuto came back to the park when they met for the first time, but he never meet with Ryosuke again although he waited there almost for one day. His parents also Kota must dragged him to come home because of it. It seems Ryosuke really mean it that they shouldn’t meet again for mean time that he himself doesn’t know for how long.

Yuto folded that letter carefully inside his treasure box and put in it. He stared at the round shape necklace in the box. Silly Ryo-chan, I don’t mind to befriend with you although you’re come from a poor family, Yuto thought.

“He is a good friend.” Suddenly his father said from the passenger seat. Today they are going to airport together to head to London. His parents decided to move to London because of business matter.

“Yes, he is. Because he care about you so much, although it’s so sad that he decided to distant himself from you.” His mother added.

“You mustn’t mad at him. Someday, when you’re older, you must find him again and treasure your friendship.” His father said again, and Yuto nodded. “I will, kaa-san, tou-san.” Yuto said.

When the car is passing the park when Yuto met Ryosuke, they ask his driver to stop the car. He is out from the car and staring at the river in front of him, also the bench where they usually talk or just eat an ice cream. He can remembered how happy Ryosuke’s face when he buy him an ice cream. He looks longingly when remembered that memories.

“Ryo-chan, I will keep that promise. I will become a better person also, so you also must keep your promise. When I am older, I will find you. Now, I must move to London to become a better person. So please keep your promise, and please keep our friendship.” Yuto said in nothing particular. He is still standing on his position until his mother called him. “Yuto, it’s time.” His mother said, and Yuto nodded.

“Until we meet again, Ryo-chan.” Yuto smile warmly while wiped his tear, then he walks toward the car. Seconds later that black car already left the park, and without Yuto notice, a chubby boy look longingly at the disappearing car.

“I will keep it, Yuu-chan. Both our promise and friendship. So, until we meet again, Yuu-chan.” Ryosuke said while smile warmly and he also wiped his tear.

***

END OF CHAPTER 1
Comments are appreciate as always :D