Chapter 2

THE GAP BETWEEN US

Ten years later…
Both Ryosuke and yuto have grown up become a fine teenager. Both of them doing their best to be a better person and never forget their promise to always remember about each other. But one thing, they realized now how stupid they were when they’re still little kid, they never ask about their best friend’s real name, so they couldn’t find their best friend easily. They just remember about their promise, each other nickname and the necklace they have as a sign about their friendship.


Yuto walks immediately toward the black car in front of his house gate. He climbed up and meet the annoyed expression from his best friends, Keito and Daiki. He just grinned sheepishly and told the driver to start the journey.

“Mou Yuto, for God’s sake, this is our first day in our new school but you ruined my mood for wake up late.” Daiki grumbled. Yuto just rolled his eyes, and he whacked Daiki’s head.

“It’s because you and Keito dragged me to watch that horror movie, so I couldn’t sleep you know.” Yuto protest. Keito looked up from his book because the mention of his name. “Correct it, Yuto. Only Dai-chan that dragged you. Actually Dai-chan also drag me to watched it.” Keito said, and he continued his previous mission, reading.

“Mou~ I just want to watched it, because we are so busy to prepare about our new school we don’t have a time for it, that’s why I ask you yesterday.” Daiki reasoned out and Yuto sighed. He then doesn’t retorted back and they just silence on their journey to Horikoshi Gakuen, their new school.

It’s been ten years since Yuto moved to London. At the first time, he feels lonely because he had difficulty to speak English and he can’t befriend with others. But, he feels grateful that he met his two best friends, Arioka Daiki and Okamoto Keito, his classmates. When Yuto knew that they are also Japanese, Yuto immediately befriend with them and they help Yuto about socialize and language matter until he can speak toward other London people. It’s fortunate that both Daiki and Keito parents are business partner with Yuto’s parents, so they meet frequently.

Yuto, Daiki and Keito quickly become close and become best friends. 2 months ago, their parents decided to send their child to moved back to Japan, their hometown. They said to Yuto, Daiki and Keito, that they want them to grown up at their hometown and graduated from Horikoshi Gakuen. Apparently, Yuto’s, Daiki’s and Keito’s parents are graduated from Horikoshi. So, those three moved to Tokyo and lived together in the mansion that their parents bought for them. They also have Kota, Yuto’s butler, to help their necessities. As for now, is the first day for them in Horikoshi Gakuen. Their headmaster, Yaotome Hikaru, very grateful to have them as students, because their parents were his classmate when Hikaru sensei still a student in Horikoshi.

After some minutes they finally arrive at their destination. One by one they climbed down from the car, and heading toward the headmaster office. They realized the school bell already ring because the corridor they through now is so quiet indicate that the other students already in the classroom, but they don’t need to be afraid because their appointment with the headmaster indeed after the bell ring.

When Yuto, Daiki and Keito turn to the left, they bumped into someone. They don’t fell though, but apparently someone that bumped into them fell hard on the floor. “Ittai!” that person shouted. Yuto immediately stretched his hand, and help that person to stand up.

“Daijoubu?” Yuto ask, and the boy nodded. Yuto, Daiki and Keito stunned for a while when that person looked up at them. That person is a boy, they knew it from his voice with a dark brown eyes and chubby cheeks, make him looked so adorable, his appearance looks handsome yet beautiful in the same time, but what makes them stunned is that boy is familiar to them.

“OI! YAMADA! WHERE ARE YOU!?” Someone shouted from other corridor, make the boy widened his eyes. Without hesitation then he hide himself behind Yuto’s, Keito’s and Daiki’s back. “Please hide me from that boy. Onegai!” that boy said with fear in his tone. Being kind boys they are, Yuto, Daiki and Keito nodded their head. When the boy that shouted earlier passing them, he asks about the chubby boy’s presence.

“Did you saw a chubby boy that looked like a girl passing here?” that boy said and Yuto nodded his head. “He left on that corridor.” Keito added while showing the opposite direction from them. The boy nodded and he runs toward the direction Keito showing. After make sure that boy leave them, Daiki then turn to face the chubby boy.
“Hey, it’s fine now. He already left.” Daiki said gently, and the chubby boy sighed in relieve.

“We’ve met before. You’re the one that retrieve our bag before deshou?” Keito ask suddenly. One week ago, when Yuto, Keito and Daiki had a little stroll around the city to familiarize themselves with new surrounding, they lost their bag on the train. Maybe because so much happiness until they forgot to bring it, and because at that time they just brought one bag, all the phone and wallet were on that bag. At that time they confused how to go home because they don’t have money in pocket and also couldn’t call Kota. It’s lucky a boy retrieve their bag, so they can back home without problem. When they want to thank the boy, the boy already left them because in rush.

“Ah, Keito’s right.” Yuto added when he examined the boy. The boy looked thoughtful and remembered about something, and finally he remembered it.

“Ah, yes. I remember the three of you.” That boy said.

“Thanks for before. We didn’t know what will happen if you don’t find our bag. Gomen just thank to you now.” Daiki said, and he bowed his head, Yuto and Keito following.
“Ii yo~ you’re welcome.” The boy said warmly.

“It’s fortunate that you learned here, so we can thank to you.” Keito said and bowed his head again.

“So, why are you hiding from that boy?” Yuto ask suddenly, changed the topic.

“Oh, I just doesn’t want to get bullied from him today, that’s why I am hiding. Although later or tomorrow he will give a punch for me, but I just doesn’t want it for now.” They boy said casually. Yuto, Keito and Daiki stunned again at the boy’s words, at how casually he talks about himself got bullied like that.

“So, thanks for hiding me earlier. I am glad that I meet you three. So, please excuse me.” That boy said, and make the trio come back from his reverie. They want to know about the boy more, but their minds got interrupted after a few steps that chubby boy walks, his body swayed and fell hard to the floor.

“OI!” Yuto shouted and rush toward the boy, Keito and Daiki followed him. Yuto looked at the boy’s pale face, and touch his forehead. “He is cold.” Yuto said.

“Let’s bring him to infirmary.” Keito said, and then he helped Yuto to piggyback the boy.
“I will call Yaotome-sensei then. He needs to know that we will late.” Daiki said, and both Yuto and Keito nodded. Then they’re separated way toward infirmary and headmaster office.

***

“So, how is he, Inoo sensei?” Hikaru ask to the beautiful male doctor.

“It seems that Yamada-kun’s anemia relapse again. Maybe he skips his meal again. Now, he is fine, but he needs rest.” Inoo explained, while injected a medicine to the chubby boy’s left arm.

Then, Hikaru facing his three new students. “Arigatou to bring him here. It’s lucky that he met you, or else..” Hikaru trailed off. Yuto, Daiki and Keito looked confuse. They know that something bad always happen to the boy from Inoo and Hikaru conversation earlier, but they couldn’t pry more.

“So, now you three must be back to classroom. Although you’re so much late, but you can follow the rest of the lesson.” Hikaru said, but Yuto shook his head.

“Sensei, may we just stay here? We will make sure that boy just fine.” Yuto said.

“Yes sensei. Like you said earlier, we’re quite much late, so it’s useless to follow the lesson now. We can start our new day tomorrow. Beside, we already skip 2 chapters in our high school in England, so it’s no problem.” Daiki added. Hikaru looked thoughtful, but when he see the determine eyes from the trio, he nodded his head. For him, it’s so rare for his student, Ryosuke, to have someone that cared for him.

“Okay, you can.” Hikaru said, and he can see the happiness in Yuto, Daiki and Keito eyes. After that, Hikaru just left the infirmary. Yuto keep staring at the boy lying in the bed. He feels familiar with that boy, but he know for sure that he never met with the boy except when the boy retrieve their bag.

“Sensei, may we know about the meaning about your conversation with Yaotome sensei earlier? It’s seem that Yamada-kun frequently come here? Is he sick or has a severe disease?” Suddenly Keito ask, look worried. Inoo smile, and he ushering his three students to sit on the couch, so their conversation won’t disturbed Ryosuke and wake him up.

“It’s not like that.” Inoo then opened the fridge and take three can of juice, and give it to Yuto, Daiki and Keito. They just staring at it, and looked up at Inoo, demand a further explanation. Looking at his students’ expression, Inoo just sighed. “It’s seems that you care toward him. This is the first time you meet him, deshou? Why you care so much and want to know about him?” Inoo ask.

“Because he helps us once, so we want to thank him. Besides, he is a good boy and I personally want to befriend with him.” Yuto reasoned out. Inoo looked at them one by one, and he finally nodded. “I will tell you about him then, but promise me that you will take care for him. Yamada-kun doesn’t have someone that love him and care for him all this time.” Inoo said sadly.

“Yamada Ryosuke is a scholar of this school. He is in second grade now, and actually he is your classmate too. He got the perfect score in entrance exam, and until now he can manage to always get the perfect score in every exams. He is a brilliant student, and give our school a lot of medal for competitions.” Inoo started his story, and the trio Yuto, Daiki and Keito are listening seriously.

“He is really a good boy, but in this prestige school, not all students can accept a scholar like him. There is a few students have a grudge toward him because he is smart, so he got bullied. It’s almost every day he will got bullied like that.” Inoo said.

“But, the other teacher and Yaotome sensei, for sure can protect him deshou?” Daiki ask, but Inoo shook his head.

“We couldn’t, Arioka-kun. We really want to protect him, but the group that bullied him, their parents are the biggest donator in this school. So, we couldn’t punish them. As a teacher we just can provide him something like treatment for him if he got wound.” Inoo sighed, feeling really guilty.

“It’s so sad.” Yuto commented, but then Inoo smile sadly.

“For your information, It’s just one of his problems. As for me, the bullied problem isn’t as big as his problem in his home.” Inoo said.

“What do you mean, sensei?” Keito ask. Inoo closed his eyes for a brief moment, and when he opened again, sadness can be seen in his eyes.

“Like I said, no one ever care about him. He lives with his stepfather, but he never treats Yamada-kun as a child. He commands Yamada-kun to work after school, and bring money to use for his father for clubbing. If Yamada-kun didn’t bring enough money, then his father will abused him, didn’t let him have his meal or make him sleep outside the house, even after that his father commands him to do all the chores in the house so he will got permitted to go to school. That’s why Yamada-kun often fainted, it’s because he is too exhausted from his work or did his chores in home, or because he skips his meal. Even, he ever didn’t eat for one day.” Inoo explain. His three students just silence.

“This infirmary just one of the room where he can calm himself or refresh himself. This room is one of the room beside the headmaster office where he can protect himself from those bullies or for resting his exhausted body. When those times he come here, I always feel sad and pity toward him, because he will come with bruises over his body from those bullies or from his father. Demo..one thing that makes me adored and respected him so much, he never cry, or complaint about his life. He always smile when met with me.”

Yuto, Daiki and Keito just gulped. They never knew that such story exist in real life. Shouldn’t a parent protect his child? Shouldn’t a child get affection and also love from his parent? That’s run on the trio’s mind now, make them fell into silence, until for some minutes Yuto break that silence.

“Sensei, if you know about this, why you don’t report it to the police? For sure his father will got arrested.” Yuto ask, and Inoo sighed for the umpteenth time today.

“Yaotome sensei and me ever try it, Nakajima-kun. We report it to the police, but when the police ask Yamada-kun to confirmed it, he rejected it. He doesn’t say about it to the police, so the police didn’t arrested his father. When Yaotome sensei asked it to him, Yamada-kun just said that he didn’t want his father send to jail. Although his father abused him, he love his father, because he is just the only family Yamada-kun has.” Inoo explain again, this time he looked so desperate.

“Yamada-kun doesn’t deserve a life like this. For someone that so pure and innocent like him, he doesn’t deserve this.” Inoo added again.

Yuto glanced at the bed at the corner of the room, and looked at the sleeping Ryosuke. He doesn’t know why, but he has the feeling to protect the shorter boy. After hearing Inoo’s explanation, he feels angry toward those bullies and Ryosuke’s stepfather, for doing something like that to the innocent boy. Keito and Daiki look at Yuto’s expression, and they know for instant what’s in Yuto’s mind.

“Keito, Dai-chan, do you two have a same mind as me?” Yuto ask to his two bestfriends, and they nodded. Yuto then smile toward Daiki and Yuto, and then he facing the school doctor.

“Sensei, don’t worry. We will make Yamada-kun have a better life from now on.” Yuto said seriosuly, that’s make Inoo confused.

“Just let us to solve this problem, sensei.” Daiki added while smiling warmly toward the doctor.

***

Ryosuke opened his eyes, and he frowned when he is facing an unfamiliar ceiling. He can feel that he is lying in a soft bed, so different with his bed in home or the bed in infirmary. He then sit up slowly and his frown go deeper when he see his surrounding. He is in one room that larger than his own room, the bed where he is lying is in king size and he can feel the soft material and know instantly that bed is the expensive one.

Across the room is a big window and the blue curtain is covering it, but Ryosuke can see the sun light come through the window. He looked at the drawer beside his bed and widened his eyes when he sees the clock strike in 5 pm already.

“Yabai! I will miss my part time job!” Ryosuke exclaimed and he stands up quickly, but suddenly he feels the dizziness attack him and his body swayed. Ryosuke expected he will hit the floor, but he feels a strong arm catch his body.

“Daijoubu?” He can heard that person ask, and Ryosuke nodded his head.
When Ryosuke looked up at that person, he frowned again because the person that catch him is one of students that he met this morning.

“You’re…”

“Ah, I am Nakajima Yuto.” That person said while help Ryosuke to lay back in bed. Then, the door open again and this time the other two students entered the room. The shorter one bring a tray in his hand.

“Ah, you’re finally awake Yamada-kun.” The shorter one said, and he put the tray on top of the drawer.

“How’re you feeling?” The one named Nakajima Yuto ask.

“Fine..” Ryosuke replied hesitantly and the trio sighed in relieve. “Anoo..” Ryosuke mumbled, and they facing him now.

“May I know who are you? Where am I? And why I am here?” Ryosuke ask.

“Ah, gomen this is our fault. Let us introduce ourselves.” That Nakajima Yuto boy said. “Like I said earlier, I am Nakajima Yuto and those two are my best friends, Arioka Daiki,” He said while pointing his finger toward the shorter boy with brown hair and chubby cheeks, “And Okamoto Keito” He added then pointing to the taller boy with cat eyes like. “Actually, we are the transfer students in Horikoshi Gakuen and apparently we’re your classmate. Now you are in our mansion and this morning you’re collapsed when met with us. As for your question why you’re here, we put you in our custody from now.” Yuto explain.

Ryosuke widened his eyes at that. “I am in your custody? How? Why? What about my father?” Ryosuke ask continuously

“Slow down Yamada-kun, let us explain one by one.” Daiki said, and because of his confuse state, Ryosuke just nodded his head. Yuto then take a deep breath before he begin to explain.

“Okay first, because you helped us a lot before, and we’re very thankful to you, that’s why we helped you and take you into our custody.” Yuto said and Ryosuke frown.

“How can that possible? I am just a stranger to you. Beside, it’s just a simple help, that couldn’t be strong reason for take me.” Ryosuke reasoned out, couldn’t just believe it.

“Can you just make Yuto explain it all before you going to protest?” Keito said while rolled his eyes, and looked at Keito’s expression, Ryosuke become silent and just nodded. Now, he pay his attention toward the tallest boy.

“Yeah, at first we just want to befriend with you Yamada-kun. Because from your kindness toward us and your appearance, you’re a good boy. Demo, when we brought you to infirmary and heard all about your life from Inoo sensei, we want to help you badly. We knows about your father and those bullies as well.” At the mention of his father and those bullies kid, Ryosuke hanging his head down.

“So, we ask your father to give you to our custody. It’s hard at first, but after some coaxing and after we threatened him, finally he agree.” Yuto continue. Ryosuke piercing his eyes toward Yuto. He couldn’t believe it easily.


“You’re lie. Say it Nakajima-kun, you didn’t just threatened my father. He is not a person that easily threatened like that. You three did something more than that so he give me easily to you. Just say it.” Ryosuke said firmly while cross his hand in his chest. Yuto looked at his two best friends, while Daiki and Keito just sighed and then nodded his head toward Yuto. Yuto nodded too, and he facing the brown hair boy seriously.


“Actually, he finally let you go when we make a contract to pay him every month.” Yuto said calmly, and Ryosuke success widened his eyes at that. They fell into pregnant silence, Yuto, Daiki and Keito don’t dare utter a single word when they saw Ryosuke’s expression earlier. Ryosuke sighed then closed his eyes. He took a deep breath before started to speak.



“Just say, what do you want from me? Do you want me to become your slave or toy, or something like that?” Ryosuke ask softly, while his eyes still closed. The trio still silent, and in his heart Ryosuke’s pretty sure that the trio just want him as a slave or toy. They’re a rich boys after all, rich people naturally don’t interfere with a poor person life, moreover want to help them. Although Ryosuke was happy when Yuto said that they want to help him earlier, but he just couldn’t let himself believe to them easily.



“We want to help you sincerely, Yamada-kun.” Yuto said, and that make Ryosuke taken aback not by his words, but by his sincere tone. Ryosuke opened his eyes, and he looked at Yuto, Daiki and Keito sincere expression. Never in his life since that time there’s someone so sincere and kind toward him. He feels happy, but at the same time confuse and anxious.


“We knows it’s impossible for you, moreover we’re just strangers that barely met. But, really, we want to help you. We don’t want someone as kind and innocent as like you suffer like that. You don’t deserve a hard life, Yamada-kun.” Yuto added again.

“That’s right Yamada-kun. It’s impossible, but just believe at us. We don’t have an ulterior motive at all. Actually we like you, because you’re kind and we can be friend deshou~” Daiki added while smiling serenely. Keito also looked at the brown hair boy with sincere smile. Ryosuke just silence, still confused with his mixed feelings. Then, Daiki just pat his shoulder and composed his self.

“Saa, now just eat your food and rest well Yamada-kun, after that drink the medicine Inoo sensei gave you. You’re still sick now.” Daiki said while make the tray on top the drawer closer to Ryosuke.

“I am sure that you can eat your food by your self, because we don’t want to disturbed you now. We know that you’re still confused now.” Keito said while smiling understandingly toward Ryosuke. Then, Daiki and Keito left the room after send an assuring smile to Ryosuke. Yuto also stand up from his sitting position and facing the shorter boy.

“Saa, I also will leave. If you need anything, just call us. My room is beside this room, Daiki’s room is acroos your room while Keito’s room is beside Daiki’s. If we’re not around, you can ask help to my butler, Yabu Kota. Don’t hesitate to ask for his help or ours.” Yuto said while smile warmly. Then, the taller tap Ryosuke’s head gently and left the room after that.

Ryosuke just staring at Yuto’s retreating figure and he touch his head that tapped by Yuto earlier. He feels it so warm, and it’s been a long time since there is someone act gently toward him beside Inoo sensei and Hikaru sensei.

“Can I trust them?” Ryosuke ask in nothing particular while staring at the door where his three ‘friends’ left earlier.

***


END OF CHAPTER 2
Comments are appreciate as always