Unwanted

Domestic Bliss

A/N: Not much happens in this chapter I'm afraid, but I felt it was necessary to share a bit of Sehun's back story. 

~*~

 

Sehun had been in the foster care system for as long as could remember. No memories of a mother or father who could have loved him. Just foster family after foster family, each of them quickly coming to the realisation that he was not a child that they could love; too troublesome and disruptive.

 

Once he reached his teenage years, every couple of months saw him moving somewhere else in the country, his foster parents unable to cope.  When he was struggling with his uality, whether he was gay or maybe biual and needed support to help him cope with his jumbled feelings, he was met with either outright disgust or an inability to know how to help so he was ignored and left to manage the best he could by himself.

 

His time with Luhan and Minseok had been the longest yet at just over a year. Somehow, they hadn't been phased by his scowls and bad moods, even understanding when he lashed out at them and cursed the ground they walked on, threw everything back in their faces. Once he'd realised that no matter how many tantrums he threw, curse words he used, trouble he caused, nothing was going to ruffle their feathers (except maybe not tidying up, cause that really annoyed Minseok hyung), Sehun had started to question why he was trying so hard to ruin things when Luhan and Minseok trying too hard to make him feel welcome and like he had a home. It hadn't been easy accepting that these two men wanted him to be a part of their family and that was where the problems lay; Sehun wasn't expecting to be welcomed and to stay, he was waiting for the next move.

 

What had thrown Sehun to start with was that he was going to a foster family made up of just two men; two men who were in a relationship, and not just that - they were married.  The concept of two men fostering or adopting children was still a very new idea and was generally looked down upon and frowned at. Something else that made it different was the complete lack of foster children; it was just Sehun.  He didn't find out until a couple of days after he arrived that he was their first foster child, having only just been accepted into the system after 4 years of trying. 

 

When Sehun was unhappy, threw a hissy fit, refused to do what he was told or broke curfew, Luhan and Minseok would sit him down in the lounge and wait, patiently, for him to explain why.  They listened, until he was finished, no interruptions, every single time, and there were many.  No one had listened to Sehun before and where it was extremely uncomfortable and cringe inducing to talk about his feelings in the beginning, now it was second nature and he now knew that he didn't need to worry about hiding his feelings from his hyungs, who went to great lengths to look after and care for him.

 

It was during the fourth month of Sehun's stay in the Kim-Lu household that he approached Minseok, asking if he could talk to him. Over mugs of coffee and hot chocolate, Sehun had slowly and with stutters confessed to Minseok that he might be gay, but he didn't for sure because he still found himself looking at girls. When Sehun found out that he was moving to another foster family he had begged his social worker, Amber, to not tell his new foster parents about his uality for fear of rejection once again. Even when Amber promised that he wouldn't have anything to worry about this time, still he begged, until she relented. Once he found out that his foster parents were gay he'd allowed himself the brief thought that maybe this time it would be ok and he would have someone to listen to who understood what he was going through.  However, that thought has been swiftly followed by the old fear of 'what if' and it wasn't until his fourth month that he realised that he could trust them.

 

He approached Minseok first, catching him on his own before Luhan came in from work, because he really did see him as a more motherly type; Minseok fussed over him more than Luhan, was softer, gentler, although he could be tough and firm when he needed to be.  His talk with Minseok had gone better than he could have ever expected; Minseok told him that he didn't need to be afraid, whether he was gay, biual, panual, aual, whatever, he and Luhan were still going to love him just the same. Sehun was surprised when Minseok thanked him for trusting him with something so personal, but that was forgotten when Minseok pulled him into a tight hug where they sat on the couch.  Sehun cried for the first time in a long time that day, as Minseok held him close, petting his hair and rubbing soothing circles into his back. 

 

They stayed that way for over an hour before Minseok noticed the time and told him he'd better wash his face before Luhan got home.  Later, once Luhan got home and they'd shared a delicious dinner they all sat down together and Minseok helped him tell Luhan what he had shared earlier.  If he'd thought that the hug from Minseok earlier had been a great emotional support, receiving a hug from both of them as Luhan told him to 'never be afraid to tell them anything, ever' was amazing and filled him with so many different emotions he didn't know how to handle them.  It was a miracle that he didn't cry again and managed to hold it together, with the exception of the odd suspicious sniffle from the three of them.

 

 

Sehun was heading to his first class of the afternoon, Jongin trailing along at his side, when his message alert sounded.  Unlocking his phone he saw the new message from Minseok and opened it before frowning as he read it.  As they both took their seats in class, Jongin noticed his friends frown.

"What's wrong?" He asked Sehun.

"I don't know. It's just Minseok hyung asking me to come home straight away after school tonight."

"Oh?" Jongin was surprised.  It was a standing thing for Sehun to go to Jongin's after school for a bit before heading home in time for dinner, since his foster parents had a thing about eating together as a family at least once a day. "Well, I guess starting that new game is going to have to wait until tomorrow."

"You don't mind?" Sehun turned to face his best friend, lips turned down at the sides.

"Don't worry, Sehun. It must be important if Minseok hyung is asking you to come straight home."

"Yeah, I guess so. I wonder what is so important."

"Message me if you need to, I can always come over."

"Thanks, Jongin." Sehun gives him one of his rare smiles before turning to face the front as their teacher began the lesson. He'd really lucked out when he'd made friends with Jongin.