A Secret Revealed

Lead Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 13: A Secret Revealed

Early Fall

 

YunHee’s first exclamation when she saw me again was: “HyeYeong! Your cheeks are so thin and pale! And you seem so spiritless! Have you been sick and not told me?!”

 

“No need to worry unnie,” I sighed. “I’m just tired. I’ve had a lot to get done lately at work. Plus this weather makes me feel a little blue, but I’ll soon perk up. You know me!”

 

I took a sip of my drink and continued before her concerned look could be expressed in words again. “It makes me happy to see you looking so well! How are things with you?”

 

“Before I tell you, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you, and please don’t take this the wrong way,” she said with downcast eyes as if a sudden fear had come over her. “Tell me, honestly, you’ve not taken back what you told MinHo oppa this last spring right?”

 

“Never!” I declared as I threw back the brown veil that had half hidden my face from view.

 

“Really? Truly?” She seemed unsure of me and I didn’t like it.

 

“Yes, really and truly Lee YunHee! Why are you suspicious of me?” I demanded in an angry tone.

 

“Because something is wrong with you HyeYeong!”

 

My mouth opened to deny the accusation but she continued before I could even squeak out a sound.

 

“There’s no use denying it! When I look at you I see the same look I had all last winter and spring when I knew MinHo liked you and not me. You’re lovesick for someone! And forgive me, but I can’t help saying it because it’s there, and I want to be as honest with you as you were with me during that time.”

 

As she spoke, I saw the agitation in YunHee’s face. She spoke fast and frankly. I could tell she was trying to phrase her words in a generous way but was finding it difficult because of her blunt personality. I understood what she meant now and put away my anger.

 

I reached out for her hand. “YunHee unnie, let me tell you again. I have no feelings for MinHo, apart from ones of friendship. Even if he was the only man left in the world I wouldn’t be with him because--,” I struggled to find the right words. “Because I don’t want to.”

 

These final words came out in a different tone than I thought they would. I could feel tears beginning to build inside me, so I turned away and looked out the window. I stared into the distance and willed the tears away.

 

“Then if it’s not him, it must be someone else! You’ve got a secret,” she probed.

 

I looked back at her and rolled my eyes.

 

“Stop rolling your eyes at me and tell me already! It’s not fair because you knew my secret about MinHo oppa, but I don’t know yours!” YunHee declared. There was no stopping her once she determined to learn something.

 

She moved her chair around to my side of the table and put her arm around me. “Do I know him? Have I seen or met him? Is he smart and good looking?”

 

I sighed knowing I’d be unable to rest until every detail was told, but I was still hesitant--after all SeHun was her cousin--so I kept my answers vague.

 

“You do know him. You’ve both seen and met him. As far as brains go, he’s smart but has made some foolish decisions. And for looks,” a blush rose in my cheeks as I recalled his face, “I think he could model, but I might be a little too biased to give you an honest answer.”

 

YunHee smiled satisfactorily at my comments then said, “Tell me one more thing.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Does he love you back?”

 

Our eyes met and I knew she could read the answer in mine, but I knew I’d need to verbalize it or she’d never be satisfied.

 

“No,” I whispered with tears beginning to build again. “Please don’t ask me anything else.” I turned away.

 

“Alright. I won’t.”

 

We sat there not speaking for several minutes. As I did my best to  regain control of my emotions.

 

YunHee cleared and sat up in her chair then spoke, “So, about why I wanted to meet with you today. . .”

 

She seemed hesitant so I encouraged her, “What YunHee? You can tell me.” My heart skipped a beat because I thought she might have bad news about SeHun.

 

“I think--that is I mean--I hope. . . MinHo oppa might like me.”

 

I was so delighted for my best friend. I wrapped my arms around her and gave her the biggest hug I could manage. After pulling away, I said with a smile, “That’s wonderful unnie! How do you know? Like what signs has he shown?”

 

She blushed a little and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “When he comes by to talk business with appa, he always makes it a point to talk with just me before he leaves and when I’m not there he tells my parents that he misses me. I hadn’t really given it much thought about it until appa and omma started teasing me about it; that’s when I started paying attention to his behavior towards me. And I’m trying to not deceive myself, but I can’t help feeling that based on his actions there’s hope for me.”

 

I squealed for my friend. I was happy for her. “Tell me more! How did this even start? I never knew him to visit your father at home to talk business.” I’d been gone all summer and YunHee was exceptionally good at keeping secrets so I hadn’t even caught a whiff of this.

 

“Well I’ve saved a few texts he’s sent me over the past few months,” she said rifling through her purse for her phone. “I wanted to ask your opinion to see if you think they mean anything. Aha!” she proclaimed as she pulled it out.

 

She unlocked it and sitting on the screen was the picture of someone I’d not seen in several months.

 

“Oh! I forgot to show this to you! SeHunnie sent this with his last email. Isn’t my little cousin the cutest? He looks so much older of course but he’ll always be a cute boy to me. He’s doing so well and that makes me a proud noona.”

 

She exited the app and went searching through her messages for MinHo’s texts, but in my mind all I could still see was SeHun’s face.

 

It doesn’t do him justice.

 

“What did you say?” YunHee glanced over at me, catching the truth written on my face before I could turn away.

 

“Nothi

Please log in to read the full chapter