Chapter 3

'Before then it's After'

It is inevitable, it's going to happen and the sooner the better. ~ Jongin

 

 

Silence. That is the only thing that I can hear in his room right now, he is sitting at the edge of his bed, frozen; obviously shock to see me barging in his room unannounced. The silence only worsens my fear at the moment.

Here I am crying and standing at the opening of his bedroom about fifteen steps away from him but it seems like he doesn’t have any intentions of coming closer to me now. He’s inactions are seriously breaking my heart; my body feels a bit numb. I thought to my self ‘Am I overreacting? Is this a nightmare? When will I wake up?’ My tears continue to well up uncontrollably.

Jongin closes his eyes and inhales deeply, head hung low, but still not a word is coming out of his mouth.

Balling my fist, I start asking him again, “What is it that I can not know?”

He then tilts his head up and looks at me in the eyes, his gaze are intense and it only made me more anxious. My heart is beating unbelievably fast and I don’t know if the temperature in his room just got low because I am seriously feeling cold.

He places a hand on his head, he looks frustrated and he’s still not speaking but his eyes are fixated on mine. It took him another minute to finally make a movement; he gets up from his seat. The expression on his face gradually softens.

He takes a couple of steps forward getting closer to me and when he’s finally standing in front of me his hands cup both of my cheeks and asks,

“Why are you crying?” Wiping my tears with his thumbs.

And for the third time I ask him, sounding sour,

“What is it that I can not know?”

I look at his eyes eagerly waiting for his answer, and then he holds my hands, letting out a smile on his lips. And with that one touch and one smile I suddenly feel comforted, all the worries I have earlier are now gone even though I still haven’t heard his answer.

He sighs and then his gaze shifted from my eyes to the ceiling of his bedroom,

“I don’t want to do this to you. This is not how I imagined it!” Disappointment is very evident in his tone.

He lets go of my hands and take a few steps away from me, turning his back on me.

Once again those worries that I thought were gone suddenly creep in my mind and in to my heart. I don’t think I can handle this; my body is feeling weak with every second that passes.

“Minji-ah…” he starts speaking again, still not facing me.

My tears are flowing all over again. Whatever it is that he’s going to tell me I don’t want to hear it, so I place my hands on my ears trying my best to block out the words I never want to hear.

Jongin continues, but I couldn’t make out the words he’s saying since I’m blocking it all out, though it could be ‘I am in love with someone else’ or maybe it’s Let’s break up.’ That’s what my thoughts are telling me.

Seconds have passed but they felt like forever and when I see Jongin’s body turning back to face me once again, that is also the time I finally decided to walk out of his room. I walk as fast as I could but it was all put to waste because he still manage to catch up on me.

He shouted, “Didn’t you hear what I just said? When I turned around you were covering your ears and suddenly walked out on me.”

At this moment I can only cry, my heart feels exhausted and so as my body and soul.

“I’ll try it once again,” he said.

This time he is blocking my way so I wouldn’t be able to walk past him and within that second he pulled out something from his shirt,

“Marry me Minji!”

On bended knees, beads of sweat are starting to drip on his neck and again he tells me to,

“Please marry me!”

My knees weaken and my legs finally gave up on me. I’m now sitting on the carpeted floor of his house’s corridor, facing him.

And in that instant I pull him closer to me, locking him up tightly in my arms. I am crying but this time, they’re now tears of joy,

“Yes Jongin!” The feeling of relief is over taking my body and I’m overjoyed.

Then I kiss him like I’ve never kissed him before,

“Of course I’ll marry you!”

He smile from ear to ear and wraps his arms around me, embracing me so tightly, making it hard for me to breathe but its okay. I don’t mind and I’m taking it all in.