What are words?

One-shot of 2NY

WHAT ARE WORDS

“Hey, good evening, everyone! I stood by here to present this one lovely song for my one and only 2 years, girlfriend who is now my 4 years fiancée, today, sitting in the corner. This is for you, baby. Happy 4th anniversary,” Soonkyu says and starts to sing.

All the memories come drowning in his minds; the sad and the happy, everything he could remember, every reasons of why he still stay by her sides until now though she’s diagnose with brain damage. It pain him to see her in that states.

 

Flashback

It was that lovely summer afternoon where people came pooling in the cool café to meet their friends or chilling out with their family members or relatives. It was the same for me, I was supposed to meet my friends that I hadn’t seen for a year because I just came back from my studies overseas, Yul and Taeng, that day but it seems like they ditched me to hang out with their girlfriends. Right! I was the only single guy among the three of us. We’d been friend since childhood and we’re like brother to each other. Such friends they were! Tsk!

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the scenery of people chit-chatting until the sound of the glasses smashed onto the ground along with the tray near me. No! It’s in front of me. It seems like the waitress had accidentally bumped into one of the customers. She seems to be so new around here.

“Watch where you’re going, young lady! Are you blind?!” the man hissed as his shirt was a bit ruined with the stained coffee.

“I’m sorry, sir!” the waitress said while had her head hanging low, picking up the shattered glasses.

“What did you say?!” the man snickered and purposely to embarrass her.

I stood up and defended her, “She said she’s sorry, dude! Now break it off. It’s just a small accident. No one gets kill here. Move on!”

Other customers laughed off a bit at my words and thought it’s kinda funny.

“Who are you to say that?” the man glared back at me.

“Uhhh… Human? Y’all witnessed it, right? It’s just a small accident, right? I turned to the customers and seek for their supports.

They all agreed and immediately, the man rushed out with a flushed face. I then turned around to help the waitress.

She’s still had her head hung low while picking up the glasses. I kneeled down beside her and asked, “Hey, are you okay? Did you get hurt anywhere?”

She shook her head to say no but then, I noticed her palm had a cut that she’s trying to hold on the pain.

“You cut your palm there,” I took her hand and examined it before I pull her up gently and lead her to the first aid kit box which was place in the rest room for the workers.

“Wait here,” I said and then walked out and told the other waitress, Mia, to clean up the mess and walked back into the room. Right, I forgot to tell that I’m the owner of the café.

I took out the plaster and ointment and sat in front of her. I reminded her that it might sting a bit and applied some ointment on her palm and she hissed. I quickly blew to ease down the pain and stick the plaster carefully.

“There, it’s done,” I said with a smile.

“Thank you!” she still had her head hung low.

With such reflex, I lifted up her chin a bit and said, “Stop lowering your head.”

She’s a bit flustered by my gesture and I quickly retreated my hand back, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she replied and timidly raised her head to face me.

“That’s more like it!” I grinned, “I’m Soonkyu and you are?”

“Tiffany,” she smiled.

That cute smile! My heart skipped a beat.

“I guessed I’ll leave now for you to continue your work,” I said and ready to leave when she suddenly asked, “How do you know the first aid kit is here?”

“I’m the owner here. Sorry, I didn’t mention it to you earlier,” I smiled at her sheepishly.

formed an O shaped and she immediately bowed, “I’m sorry! I should had acknowledge you as my boss! And please don’t fire me!”

I chuckled at that cute scene. Too cute to not laugh at.

“It’s okay and I won’t fire you so no worries. Just don’t keep on bumping into random people,” I smiled, “Anyway, I should go now and you should work too. You don’t want to be fire, right?”

She nodded and quickly ran out to resume her work for the day.

I thought I was in love. Fell in love at first sight.

~.~.~.~.~

It was from there we started out as friend and slowly, it became romance where eventually, we fell in love with each other but there’re obstacles like any couples would face. Ours were no difference where my parents were against my relationship with her when they knew she’s from a low class family and was afraid that she just fell in love with my money but not heart. I had a fight with them that I decided to stay in her apartment one night.

“Are you sure about this, Kyu?” Tiffany asked with concerned face when we’re in the living room.

Her apartment was not that big nor small. It’s perfect for the living of two.

“Yeah! I’m sure. We’ll be fine. Don’t worry about it. I’ll make sure this relationship work out for both of us,” I assured her.

“You know. I have a thought of…” she paused.

“What?” I asked.

“I have a thought of that we’re better off being friend,” she whispered but loud enough for me to hear.

“NO! Don’t think about it of breaking up with me!” I shouted and it scared her to bit that she looked down to the floor as if it’s the most interesting thing to look at.

I sighed. I wasn’t in the right mind at that moment. I walked to her and found out that she’s crying. I quickly wiped her tears away and caressed her cheek and apologized for shouting, “Do you believe in me? In us?”

She nodded and we hugged each other.

“Then nothing will break us apart. I promise you, us, that I’ll make it work; our relationship. And I promise you that I’ll always be by your side no matter what.” I said and caressing her back while hugging her.

“I love you!” she said and released herself from the hug to look into my eyes.

“I love you too, forever and always!” I replied .

~.~.~.~.~.~

Finally, it dawned to my family that she isn’t what they thought she was and accepted her immediately.

I smiled when I saw her happily talking to my parents and sometime joked around with my sisters. It was perfect scene and that’s when I thought it’s a perfect time to propose to her. I hold on tied to the blue box in my pocket.

I shrugged off from my thought and looked around to see her but to no avail.

“She’s in the balcony if you’re looking for her,” my mom said as if she’s reading my mind.

“Thanks, mom!”

“Take care of her really good, Lee Soonkyu! And I’m sorry on behalf of your father and myself for not accepting her the first time,” she apologized.

I walked to her and hugged, “It’s okay, mom! It’s all in the past. Let’s forget about that. We’re happy now, aren’t we?”

“So when are you going to propose to her?” she asked immediately.

“It’s gonna happen now, that’s why I’m looking for her,” I whispered into her ear and she was grinning from ear to ear.

“I can’t wait for that and make sure to make lots of babies for me!” she said teasingly.

“MOM!” my face flustered upon hearing her words, “I’m gonna go find her now.”

I left her and went to find Tiffany in the balcony. She’s sitting at the bench and seems to enjoying the night breeze along with the full moon as well as the stars that were shining pretty bright that night.

I tiptoed and quietly hugged her from behind. She froze at first but then relax her body when she knew it’s me who was hugging her.

“Enjoy the night, I assume?” I asked her.

“Yeah, thanks for bringing me to meet them and also for the dinner they’d prepared. They’re all so lovely and wonderful,” she said with a smile.

That smile that I fell in love when the first time we met.

“I have something for you,” I said.

“What is it?” she replied.

“Close your eyes first,” I answered.

“It’s not a bug, right? Don’t you dare to pull a prank like last time you did in my apartment!” she glared at me.

I laughed and replied back, “I’m sorry but I’m too jobless at that time and it’s too fun to tease you.”

“Lee Soonkyu!”

“Hwang Miyoung!”

“Don’t call me by that name!”

“But it’s your full Korean name!”

“But still!”

I chuckled and surrendered, “Alright alright! Now, close your eyes!”

“Why should I?”

“It’s a surprise, Fany-ah! I promise you. You won’t forget about this one surprise. You’ll remember it forever,” I said with a grin.

“This better be!” she squinted her eyes before closing it.

I then quickly kneeled in front of her and took out the blue box from my pocket, “Okay! Open your eyes now.”

Slowly and carefully, she opened her eyes and was shocked when she saw what’s in front of her.

“Tiffany, will you be my angel? I know I’m not perfect that we always argue about silly things but eventually we make up to each other, right? I know I’m not that perfect physically or really good looking like your lovely idol oppa but will you be my partner for life? In the witness of moon and stars and Mother Nature of everything, I’m here by to promise you that I’m gonna always be by your side. Anywhere you are, I am near with you. You know, words that are being said right now, will always live on even when we’re gone. So, will you, Stephanie Hwang Miyoung, be my angel and my partner for life?”

My heart was beating fast when I waiting for her answer. Her eyes was b with tears that she quickly nodded her head and said, “Yes! I will! Forever and always!”

I grinned like a fool and quickly slipped in the ring into her ring finger and hugged her immediately, “Thank you! I promise you I would take care of you no matter what, where, when, how or why!”

“Lee Soonkyu, I love you! Thank you for accepting me for who I am and not judging me from where I am or look down on people like me. Thank you so much for walking into my life like that,” she said with tears still flowing down her face.

I wiped away the tears and kissed both her eyes before I captured her lips. It’s the first time we had our kiss. Our first kiss. It’s sweet and gentle. A day to remember.

~.~.~.~.~.~

Two weeks left before D-day. I was all positive and smiling all the way, even my friends, Yul and Taeng sighed.

“I know you’re eager to get marry but seriously, dude! Don’t get so whipped like that and smile like a fool or a crazy person,” Taeng said.

“Said the one who obeyed his girl when she just glared,” I snickered.

“Shut up!” Taeng groaned.

“How is she?” I asked.

“She’s doing okay except she’s too busy nowadays with her design that we almost don’t have a private time,” he sighed.

I smacked his head jokingly, “Awww! Someone’s .”

Yul and I immediately laughed.

Taeng groaned and feeling annoyed when he was teased by us the most whenever we met.

“What’s going on? Why are you two laughing and Taeng is grumpy?” Tiffany asked and sat by my side.

“Hi, love!” I sad and kissed her cheek.

“Hello,” she smiled, “So? What’s so funny?”

“Pani-ah! They teased me,” Taeng said using his aegyo and puppy eyes.

“Ewwwww! Grow up, Kim Taeng! And don’t use that on her. She’s mine,” I said while hugging her protectively.

“You’re both so whipped!” Yul interfered our conversation.

“Shut up, Yul!” both Taeng and I said.

All of us laughed together. It was a cheerful day.

~.~.~.~

“You can go home first,” Tiffany said while I followed her from behind.

“What? No! You can’t go home alone that late,” I protested.

“Baby, please! I brought the car today. Do you expect me to leave the car here? I’ll call you if anything happen, alright?” Tiffany turned around and looked at me with pleading eyes, “Please?”

“Alright! Alright! Why do you have to bring the car today? You don’t always drive them, why now?” I sighed.

“I just feel like driving today. Besides, it’s been a long time since I drive,” she said and pecked my lips while hugging me.

“Just make sure to arrive home safely, okay?”

“I will! Love you!” she said and kissed me before I parted to leave.

~.~.~.~.~

It was almost midnight and still no sight of her. I sighed for the nth time. I should had stayed out with her in the café.

Then, the phone suddenly rang and I quickly answered, “Hello? Baby where are you? It’s already that…”

“I’m sorry to cut your word but are you Lee Soonkyu?”

“Yes and you are?”

“Sir, this is from XXX hospital and I’m here to tell you that Tiffany Hwang is involved in the accident on her way back home just now so I need…..”

My phone slipped from my hand when I heard the word accident. Without wasting much time, I ran off and drove to the hospital.

Arriving at the hospital, I asked for the guide from the nurse and finally led me to the operation room. I stared at the operation room’s doors and waited for anyone, doctor or nurses to come out and told me that she’s okay. Two hours, three hours had passed.

Finally, a doctor came out from the room and I ran to him to ask him about her condition.

“She’s okay, Mr. Lee but I’m sorry to say that she’s in a coma state right now and her life is 50-50. We already did everything we can to save her, sir.” The doctor said and left me behind. I was left alone to absorb his words. It hits me hard. Then the nurses were the one who guided me once again to her room.

I walked in with shivered bodies and whole and there, my love, was in a devastated state sleeping soundly on the bed. I ran to her side and cried my heart out, “Why? Why did this had to happen?”

I witnessed all the tubes that were connected to her bodies and all those bandages. It pained me to see her in that state. I’d had stayed with her. Why did I even think of going back and let her going home alone? It was my fault.

“Baby, you need to wake up, alright? Do you still remember the promise I once made? That I’m going to be by your side no matter what? So you need to wake up and be fine, alright? We’re gonna work through this, okay? It’s a promise,” I said while caressing her now rough face.

This had to go for two months before she finally woke up from her come. It’s when I was in the toilet when she woke up. I cried when I found out she finally opened her eyes.

“Baby,” I cried and kissing her rough, dried lips.

She didn’t reply. It was for her, for me as well.

~.~.~.~.~

It was hard for me for the first three years to take care of her. There were times that I felt like giving up on her. However, I kept on remembering of why I did this and I shrugged off the negativity out of me. The reason of why I did this was the promise I made to her and also not to forget the love I had for her.

I had to let go for who she was before and get to know who she was now. It’s different, I admitted it but she’s still beautiful in my eyes though there’re scars on her face and her eyes weren’t that shining like it used to anymore.

But slowly, she showed some improvement within that three years. She can’t talk nor move before but now she did, at least. Surely this damage can’t be heal but she did improved a lot. At least that’s what I thought.

End of flashback

“…. If I was to leave when you need me most, I’m forever keeping my angel close,” Soonkyu ends his song perfectly. He smiles when he sees his fiancée is smiling back at him.

“Thank you for listening to my song, people! I hope you all enjoy the night,” Soonkyu says and left the small stage to go to Tiffany.

“Hi,” he smiles.

“Hi,” she replies back though it takes time.

Life isn’t beautiful all the time and love isn’t easy but one thing I can assure of is that I’m loving her with all my heart even though we couldn’t go beyond being husband and wife.  It’s now not about walking in the sunset rather, it’s about getting up, and walking a path, and persevering. What are words if you really don’t mean them when you say them? What are words if they’re only for good times then they’re done?

Some things aren’t going to be the same like it used to but love will always be there and stays the same though some are just a bittersweet memories.

“Shall we go home now?” I ask and guides her from behind.

She smiles and nods.

It’s the same smiles that I fell in love with.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you all enjoys this piece as much as I do. 
And I do hope this can repay my disappearance. Sudden on and off. lol
Busy busy busy~ >____<
Cheers, peep!
Good Night and God bless you all always!

XOXO