What Lies Ahead?

Unseen Love

- Your POV -

When Friday evening came, you were more than prepared to spend the evening at home. As much as you enjoyed being able to get back to normal life after the accident, it did leave you feeling rather tired at the end of the day. You yawned as you stretched out on the couch. You had changed into sweatpants, a tank top, and a cardigan.

You straightened up for a few seconds to find the remote before laying back against the arm of the couch again. Sanghyun sat at the other end near your feet. You were surprised by how normal all of this had become. He seemed just as real to you as anyone else, especially when you were alone with him. He was very protective of you and you liked that about him. 

He knew your habits already. He knew preferences for food, movies, shows, music, everything. Part of you felt like you had known him since you were an infant because he knew you so well. Another part of you still felt like you shouldn’t be as open with him as you were. You pushed those thoughts away. He was always kind and caring. He seemed to really love you, as he constantly said he did.

You both spent the evening watching reruns of a drama and laughing at the characters. You cuddled against him easily. Even if he was a ghost, he felt so solid to you. For a moment you thought about how simple it would be to fall in love with him.

‘No,’ you told yourself. ‘Sanghyun is a ghost. He is dead. He isn’t someone to fall in love with.’ What kind of life could you even have with a ghost anyway? Life would stay like this forever. He would stay in his twenties while you continued to age. No one else would know he exists. You wouldn’t have children.

You shook your head. Why were you even thinking about these sorts of things? There is no future with Sanghyun.

But maybe if he were alive, things could be different.

“Stop!” You yelled out loud. Sanghyun turned to look at you, confused.

“What?”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to say that out loud…” you mumbled. Sanghyun chuckled before turning back to the television. He must be used to not being able to ask you about outbursts like that. He didn’t seem fazed by it at all.

Your phone suddenly started ringing. You sat up slightly to grab it from the table. You took a look at the number but didn’t recognize.

“Hello?” You answered.

“Hello, this is Song Wan Ha.”

“Oh yes, I remember you. Do I need to come in again?” You asked, unsure of how all this legal business worked. You glanced at the time. Wasn’t too late for him to be calling from work?

“No. I actually, um, was wondering if you would be interested in going to dinner with me tomorrow night?” He stumbled a bit over his words, losing the confidence he had exuded during your meeting at the law office. You couldn’t help but smile.

“I would like that.” You had certainly found him attractive. What could one date hurt anyway?

“Really? Ah, great! How about I pick you up at 7?”

“That sounds wonderful.” You gave him your address before hanging up. You stared at the phone, saving his cell phone number, and smiled.

“What was that about?” Sanghyun practically growled.

“Remember the lawyer from yesterday? He asked me on a date for tomorrow.” You couldn’t stop the smile that was growing on your face.

“I see,” he said.

Your face fell a bit as you realized he was upset. “You’re angry,” you said softly.

------------------------------------

- Sanghyun’s POV -

‘Yes, of course I’m angry,’ I thought. You’ve felt like mine for a long time. That feeling only increased when you started seeing me. To see you excited about going out on a date with someone else was difficult. You feel like mine, but you aren’t mine.

I sighed and looked at you. I want you to be happy, but I want to be the one to make you happy. That isn’t right though, is it? I’m a ghost. You’re alive. You should spend time with other people that are alive, even if that hurts me.

“It isn’t that I’m angry, just that I’m concerned.” Your face scrunched up in confusion.

“What are you concerned about?”

I smiled at you. “Don’t worry about it. I’m just protective over you.” You returned the smile and placed your hand over mine.

“You don’t need to be so concerned. It’s just a first date. I’ll be fine Sanghyun."